GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,153 comments
What is a conspiracy with proof @Famine 🤨😝

I actually forgot how sweaty Catalunya is both for QT and in race. The Imola vibes are strong in this weeks B.

The technical nature of the mid speed corners is such a separator between people. That coupled with every gap is a dive bomb it's just surreal to watch some of my races back as cars just batter through and those that do the battering end up sideways 5 corners down the road.

I didn't race yesterday as I was reinstalling the game so hadn't had the Monday experience but my word Tuesday ain't much better!

I'm surprised we spend this much time talking about hitting walls, tbh.😁

BUT, it did make me realize a potential paradox...there's complaints about velcro-esque wall interactions -AND- complaints about wall-riders getting the best q-times. I'm challenged to understand how these two gripes can coexist in the same gaming space.

Has my algorithm gone rogue again? 🙃

I'm surprised we spend this much time talking about hitting walls, tbh.😁

BUT, it did make me realize a potential paradox...there's complaints about velcro-esque wall interactions -AND- complaints about wall-riders getting the best q-times. I'm challenged to understand how these two gripes can coexist in the same gaming space.

Has my algorithm gone rogue again? 🙃
I think it's nuanced to be fair, take Tokyo or the Daytona AFK grinds hitting the walls at 90ish degrees lets you carry on, it does slow you down and you kinda have to ease away from the wall (probably due to the fact your wheel on the contact side can't turn through the barrier so much like parking really close to a curb and have angle gently away from it).

There is also the realities of people using full throttle to get off the walls and turn round etc, a lack of fidelity for want of a better word.

As I said earlier I think there is a physics thing in play, a "perception" thing in play and a by design thing in play.

They are always quick to patch out wall riding both in TT and dailies which makes me think it's just the hit boxes aren't shaped correctly sometimes or not tied to the scripting triggers for damage or penalties. They add those in and boom it's fixed.

There is a valid point to how people perceive the issue though, if you are constantly hitting the wall then maybe look at your technique a little bit because I rarely hit them outside of balls to the wall QT or sweating TTs and even then it's less and less over the months and years.

I didn't expect to get a victory in Race C this week... Least of all when using one of the 'non meta' choices, but here we are!!

View attachment 1309240

Started in 6th, surrounded by M3s and LFAs, and the pack was compressed for the first half of the race with very little contact across the board as far as i could see. Very enjoyable and hard driving.

Some tactical bump drafting through the second half of the race started reeling in the front 4 or 5, and P1 wasn't successful in their attempt to pull away, so I knew it was on...

In the end it came down to the last chicane, and the former-P1 German behind me was very close in their Lexus. He got an awkward exit and nudged my rear end, but coming over the line he was only .020 away from snatching away my hard earned win!

(Ps I know I said earlier all the cars are well balanced but still felt good taking the win in a different car)
Well done! Does the dump drafting impact your SR as far as you noticed?

I finally have time again this week to partake, and while one more lap at Catalunya would be welcome, only having 4 laps is making it a frantic sprint in a fun way. I've only had one race ruined out of 5 so far by getting punted going into turn 5.

Just ahead of my last race for this morning I was able to cut a 1:40.7 QT, which at the time got me to 916th on the global leaderboard and moved me from mid pack starts to much closer to the front.

Should be a fun week!

Race C this week really pokes a stick in the wound, which is not being able to use a shifter in sport mode. Its hard to imagine how they /shrugged out, with such an integral part of the driving experience.
Yeah I have no explanation for that from a code or playability perspective.

Just a very very odd choice not to include a fundamental mechanic in driving a car!

Race C this week really pokes a stick in the wound, which is not being able to use a shifter in sport mode. Its hard to imagine how they /shrugged out, with such an integral part of the driving experience.
Feel your pain - especially as I play exclusively using the PSVR2 now. I have a shifter and use it whenever possible.

I recall there was an exploit that was revealed in the GT Sport days during the 250 GTO race if I recall correctly. This goes back in my memories as far back as GT5 Prologue (#SuckaFreeSundays) during my early days with the TPRA & the SupaTunas where drivers were able to get extra speed by using the clutch. As a result, the clutch has been removed (sadly) from sport mode ever since if I recall accurately.

Yeah I have no explanation for that from a code or playability perspective.

Just a very very odd choice not to include a fundamental mechanic in driving a car!
It's because you can skip gears with it, which gives an unfair advantage in a few situations. So they just omit it entirely rather than fixing the exploit. Which is about in character for PD.

It's because you can skip gears with it, which gives an unfair advantage in a few situations. So they just omit it entirely rather than fixing the exploit. Which is about in character for PD.
That makes sense but I just can't see how it's different from double shifting the MP4 or radical with wheel mounted paddles.

PD work in sphere of logic I just don't understand sometimes.

Whats everyone's ride of choice on Race C?
The NSX, what an absolute blast to drive. I don't know how long it took them to get these things so well balanced but I've seen pretty much every car win a race already.

As someone that pretty much just plays Sport Mode B/C constantly it has dawned on me immensely that I'm missing out on such amazing variety with the other cars in the game.

Hopefully PD sees a tick up in numbers this week and puts more effort into making these kinds of setups for B/C instead of the usual Gr3/4 humdrum.

I wonder...would this lot still be well balanced on other tracks as they are here at Trial Mountain? Because they could just use these cars as a template for future races.

I am really missing something in B QT this week and I don't know what.

I can keep up just about with Tidge in the first sector but sector 2 I'm losing so much time.

If anyone has any tips for sector 2 that would be massively appreciated.

The NSX, what an absolute blast to drive. I don't know how long it took them to get these things so well balanced but I've seen pretty much every car win a race already.

As someone that pretty much just plays Sport Mode B/C constantly it has dawned on me immensely that I'm missing out on such amazing variety with the other cars in the game.

Hopefully PD sees a tick up in numbers this week and puts more effort into making these kinds of setups for B/C instead of the usual Gr3/4 humdrum.

I wonder...would this lot still be well balanced on other tracks as they are here at Trial Mountain? Because they could just use these cars as a template for future races.
I must be missing something cos every lobby I’ve been in is pretty much M3 with a smattering of LFA. I tried the F40 for my first few races, came dead last every time. First time out in the M3, take nearly 2s off my quali time and get a P5 finish from a P11 start.

Feel your pain - especially as I play exclusively using the PSVR2 now. I have a shifter and use it whenever possible.

I recall there was an exploit that was revealed in the GT Sport days during the 250 GTO race if I recall correctly. This goes back in my memories as far back as GT5 Prologue (#SuckaFreeSundays) during my early days with the TPRA & the SupaTunas where drivers were able to get extra speed by using the clutch. As a result, the clutch has been removed (sadly) from sport mode ever since if I recall accurately.
Same here. Didn’t care too much back when racing flat. Brutal now. Especially with old school cars…i even reached out for the dang thing…and not once /facepalm
That makes sense but I just can't see how it's different from double shifting the MP4 or radical with wheel mounted paddles.

PD work in sphere of logic I just don't understand sometimes.
That sounds so so lazy to me…and confusing. Sure you can skip gears, which makes sense and is normal when driving stick. Especially 5th to 3rd coming into a corner. I can see how skipping could technically be faster sorta..except the whole manually engaging the clutch..which shouldn’t be a binary on/off and therefore not instantaneous.

Makes no damn sense..especially after all this time.

Had another couple of Daily C last night. Tried to learn the M3. Faster, but I don't quite like it as much as the LFA. Had a blast though. First race I had a great start but got a track limit penalty making sure I didn't hit the car in front and got dropped into the mid pack instead of hanging with the front 4. Racing was good and pretty close but I looped it after the bush of death 90 degree right and dropped like a stone.

Second race was epic. Started p4, got to p3 by the tunnel turn in sector 1 as the guy in front drifted off going up the hill. From there it was 6 of the 7 laps in all out battle for the lead. Drafting, switchbacks, 2 wide through the esses, it was just beautiful. We were even doing a 3 wide attempt with cutbacks in the final chicane on the final lap with p4 right on our bumpers waiting to pass whoever got the slowest exit. I slid and dropped while catching it and finished p4 but it was worth it. The race was everything GT could be minus strategy. 4 drivers, 4 different nationalities and 4 different cars.

Also, the thing with no shifter is that due to a programming thing the H pattern allowed instant skips to different gears in a way that you couldn't do with anything else. With the double shifting tricks on the Radical or the Mclaren controller and wheel are equal on that.

Last edited:
Slipstream in Race C is crazy, it took me several races to really get a good feel for how much the braking point into T1 changes depending on proximity of cars in front. Ran right off the track at the start of my first race like an idiot.

Once I got that figured out, I started to enjoy it and performed better (outside of a missed shift on the final straight costing me a place!!), got the quali time down to 2:04.5-ish, and was able to have some great mid-pack battles without getting destroyed.

I do think 1 more lap (or maybe 2 more?) would be nice; Race C at under 15 minutes seems too short, but I guess adding another lap to just about any daily race is a pretty common comment around here so... whatever, add it to the list :)

I’d like to see heavy damage implemented in the dailies similar to what was done in GT1 for the last gtws.

Different from a year or so ago in dailies when it slowed the car down but fixed in 15 seconds or so. Needing to pit to fix it would keep the fast rammers from collecting multiple victims because their car would run much slower pace.

Just getting front damage from a small bump was able to slow laps by a second or so. I believe that it had a big impact on the races which were much cleaner than usual.

Just an opinion and yeah, everyone has one 😂

This, a thousand times this!

Such a silly thing to ban especially for the ‘real’ driving simulator. And it’s not like using an h-pattern shifter makes you faster!

I hate using paddles on cars that have manual transmissions! I’d love to race the 997 GT3 in C but won’t for this reason. Luckily the E 90 M3 came with both stick shift and a dual clutch with paddles.

Same here. Didn’t care too much back when racing flat. Brutal now. Especially with old school cars…i even reached out for the dang thing…and not once /facepalm
I . . . feel . . . so seen right now . . .

One time (in band camp) I reached out and grabbed the cat who must have been sniffing the shifter at the time (I guess - the resulting scrambling across my lap was startling!)

I’d like to see heavy damage implemented in the dailies similar to what was done in GT1 for the last gtws.
I'd love this as well, just for immersion reasons. Doubt we'll see it again anytime soon because of the backlash that happened last time.

Also, the thing with no shifter is that due to a programming thing the H pattern allowed instant skips to different gears in a way that you couldn't do with anything else. With the double shifting tricks on the Radical or the Mclaren controller and wheel are equal on that.
Block shifting isn't faster than smashing a sequential box.

Being able to block shift 2nd to 4th or 4th to second or 3rd to 5th or 5th to third in the game somehow beats a sequential gearbox. I don't understand how but it is what it is.

I think more is at play here in the way they program torque curves and probably a bit of bop thrown in.

You can game the game with just adjusting gear ratios so I assume there is some internal sensitivity to anything gearing wise

Had another couple of Daily C last night. Tried to learn the M3. Faster, but I don't quite like it as much as the LFA. Had a blast though. First race I had a great start but got a track limit penalty making sure I didn't hit the car in front and got dropped into the mid pack instead of hanging with the front 4. Racing was good and pretty close but I looped it after the bush of death 90 degree right and dropped like a stone.

Second race was epic. Started p4, got to p3 by the tunnel turn in sector 1 as the guy in front drifted off going up the hill. From there it was 6 of the 7 laps in all out battle for the lead. Drafting, switchbacks, 2 wide through the esses, it was just beautiful. We were even doing a 3 wide attempt with cutbacks in the final chicane on the final lap with p4 right on our bumpers waiting to pass whoever got the slowest exit. I slid and dropped while catching it and finished p4 but it was worth it. The race was everything GT could be minus strategy. 4 drivers, 4 different nationalities and 4 different cars.

So..you guys are saying that years and years ago,they had a glitch with what almost sounds like a binary clutch, creating some sort of super fast shifting scenario, and they decided to bin the whole shifter, as opposed to looking at modifying the sdk(s) to make the clutch progressive, with a bite point, there by likely rendering the instant issue moot.

Cool cool
Cool cool cool

I appreciate your explanations and timelines..and please, if my summary is wrong please correct me. Just looking to understand. However, if this is generally how things went down..

Thats some bafflingly offensive, lazy 💩

Last edited:
Going into the end of the back straight with three, four and five other cars in close proximity around the big left hander and through the final sector, 90% of the time completely cleanly in my races today. Everyone staying calm and returning to their places in the train, always aware that more opportunities for passing are coming up.

It really is a great combo and will only get better as more people learn the nuances of these cars, it's been a joy so far.

Last edited:
Wow, if only all races are like this!

Just hopped into 2nd account and did some laps on Race C, which looks friggin promising! However, I did want a shorter first race of the week, so I hopped into Race B and only set 1 lap time, meaning I started last. However, I was in the seat of my trusty RCZ... ;)

Between keeping an out of for the mayhem around me (again, I have an S-rated SR but still matched with a tonne of
A or B-rated SR players) and also some calculated moves I managed a Clean Race but also overtook not 1 car, not even 2, not even 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 but NINE cars and finished in P7!!! Woop :)

More of the same please, maybe even a Top 5 or podium finish from a last place start :P

PS - I know I am dreaming and most likely, will be banged around harder than a lone "lady of the night" in a crowd full of eager sailors after a year-long trip! :D

Did some qualy runs on main account for Race B and down to a 1:41:00 with the 650S but I think I will hop into C for the rest of the night as looks quite fun :)

Attachments

• P7 Barca Race B.jpeg
    P7 Barca Race B.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 8
So..you guys are saying that years and years ago,they had a glitch with what almost sounds like a binary clutch, creating some sort of super fast shifting scenario, they decided to bin the whole shifter, as opposed to looking at modifying the sdk(s) to make the clutch progressive, with a bite point, there by likely rendering the instant issue moot.

Cool cool
Cool cool cool

I appreciate your explanations and timelines..and please, if my summary is wrong please correct me. Just looking to understand. However, if this is generally how things went down..

Thats some bafflingly offensive, lazy 💩
Nah, you're not wrong. That's basically it. You could have the H pattern set for a gear and as you hit the paddles it would instantly shift to what the H pattern held. Something along those lines. And yeah, it is lazy for them to have known about it since the GT Sport days and they still haven't managed to fix it if they've even tried. I don't defend the situation, was just explaining it. I'd love to be able to throw a shifter in and use it. Would be fun.

Nah, you're not wrong. That's basically it. You could have the H pattern set for a gear and as you hit the paddles it would instantly shift to what the H pattern held. Something along those lines. And yeah, it is lazy for them to have known about it since the GT Sport days and they still haven't managed to fix it if they've even tried. I don't defend the situation, was just explaining it. I'd love to be able to throw a shifter in and use it. Would be fun.
I had an FD RX7 IRL, and I always had a problem of going from 2nd to 5th (instead of 3rd) by mistake. This was NOT a benefit in real life. :lol:
I'd love to be able to throw a shifter in and use it. Would be fun.
It would be, for sure. But of course the way the game is designed, even if they allowed it, you'd never be able to keep up with people using paddles. At least, I wouldn't be able to.

I'm having the strangest reaction to this week's Daily Race B.

I've run 4 races. The first one sucked, then the last 3 were good:
1701860467805.png

But all I feel is "meh". Probably because in each of the last 3 races, the guys behind me fell back right away, so I never felt challenged. Yes, I gained some positions, but mostly through attrition. So no adrenaline rush, nothing like that. It almost feels boring.

I suspect I'll regret posting this, because you know that in the next race I'll get that challenge I was missing, and probably bite the big one.

Lobbies filled with half A+ drivers this evening means my decent A qualifying time is an 8 or 9 spot on the grid, pretty tough! One race had a top 20 global ranking on pole.
That's a good thing... tons of DR up for grabs. Go get it! :cheers:

I had an FD RX7 IRL, and I always had a problem of going from 2nd to 5th (instead of 3rd) by mistake. This was NOT a benefit in real life. :lol:

It would be, for sure. But of course the way the game is designed, even if they allowed it, you'd never be able to keep up with people using paddles. At least, I wouldn't be able to.
Better 2nd to 5th than 5th to 2nd (instead of 4th)!

Last edited:
Better 2nd to 5th than 5th to 2nd (instead of 4th)!
Also better than the 1-2-1 money shift!

I used to do 2nd to 5th occasionally with the stock STi shifter. The Kartboy “Tallboy” solved that problem as it finds center better.

Done the 5 to 2 downshift once, but realized it as I was releasing the clutch. Quickly stabbed the clutch and only hit the limiter for a fraction of a second. I shift 6th directly to 4th coming into 1 and the bus stop at Daytona. Every once in a while I misjudge the speed and release the clutch a touch early. Usually just blips the limiter for a split second. These real life problems don’t exist in Gran Turismo!

Did a couple Race B’s on the alt account last night. Got murdered in the hairpin in the first race and finished 12th. I cruised to a 3rd place in the second race. It was uneventful as the top 3 of us just drove away from the pack and I was never able to challenge the top 2.

On another note - has PD changed the matching algorithm again? I haven’t played Sport in a few weeks now, but every lobby is a mixed A+, A, & B DR mix now. I had two YouTube streams going and all of us were in different lobbies with the same mix of driver ratings. Seems like the B/S and A/S drivers could’ve been paired together better.

Latest Posts

Back