GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,412 comments
On the tuning discussion I’m on the fence, in my pc days with asssetto corsa it really helped me compete so it needs to be accessible, as @Yard_Sale says, as long as you can download them and use so everybody is on a equal footing, I’m up for that and probably that would evolve most racers experience to understand those tweaks more

Early when GT7 came out there was a great little race with mini’s around Alsace test course with tuning, I nicked mista_mca tune and had a blinding week doing that

There could be a little more variety in the sport mode with, dare I say, more races and changing monthly or biweekly?

On the tuning discussion I’m on the fence, in my pc days with asssetto corsa it really helped me compete so it needs to be accessible, as @Yard_Sale says, as long as you can download them and use so everybody is on a equal footing, I’m up for that and probably that would evolve most racers experience to understand those tweaks more

Early when GT7 came out there was a great little race with mini’s around Alsace test course with tuning, I nicked mista_mca tune and had a blinding week doing that

There could be a little more variety in the sport mode with, dare I say, more races and changing monthly or biweekly?
I'm kinda getting bored with the kart races, I figured I probably would at some point. A choice of N900-N1000 cars would have been better. Like remember SSRX had 10 high-speed cars you could choose from in the A races.

In case anyone wonders why my QTs aren't changing this week, I have a bad head cold and shouldn't be operating heavy equipment. Actually, my head is so fuzzy it would be a joke.

View attachment 1325956

And from my wife:

View attachment 1325958

I only do Race Bs. I'm not interested in non-DR races, and Race C is too long for my attention span.

So, in answer to your question, I only focus on one race. And I do a TON of qualifying, because 1) I'm retired and have the time, and 2) it just takes me a long time to get the hang of the car(s) and track. And I really want a decent QT, because I hate starting in the back of he pack.
Damn I hope you are feeling better by now. Get well soon!

And just like that, all it took was 1 race at Deep Forest to piss me off and make me turn off the console... What the hell is PD's deal with Mazda?! I start in P10 with P11 being over 0.4s slower than my QT time and P16 a whole 3s behind! I was in last place just as sector 1 ended!

I was catching up to the Mazda-fest in the corners then either pushed out or just left for dead in the straights if I manage an overtake or get slightly close to the car in front. What a stupid, biased and demotivating decision from them. Almost 2 months of this BS - when is this stupid car getting nerfed and make racing fun again?!

gg
This should have been fixed a few updates ago really. Really ruined the entire Gr.4 class regardless of track.
After a few weeks with no tuning .... I have come to realise I really don't like tuning - even more so when there's more tuning options available. I'd far rather just grab a few different cars and just race (WG was great last week) instead of finding a tune which may help or hinder, as I'm often not sure if it's just me or the settings that are hooking up.

I did manage my first win in a while, using the Vantage, but generally finishing 4th to 8th which has put my UK DR about the highest it's ever been - around A and 35%. Back on shift tomorrow for a week, so I'll likely not race much more til next Wednesday. Hopefully no tunes next week!
You have a great QT time for Race C. Must have narrowly missed you in races (Only raced 4 times this week so far). See you on track soon!

As for tuning, I am also on the fence on this one as it really does take some "extreme" and unrealistic setup to be fast (Not a GT specific issue, ACC suffers the same) and those setup are either locked behind a paywall (in ACC - though there are lots of Free setups available too) or not readily available (in GT, especially for Gr.3/4 tunes under BoP), which obviously increases the gap between aliens and "normal" racers. In Daily C this week I put in 2x extra miles for QT, did some basic setup (I aren't the best with setups) and drove the McLaren's wheels off and can't get into 1:54, while the Top guys are already at 1:52's.

I too had a similar experience to you at the Suzuka Daily Race A a while ago with the Silvias, I think I used Prainao's tune on the Sil-Eighty and posted a Top 40 QT time and won every single race I entered that week. By a Mile.

I'm looking for a setup for the R8 evo, my new favourite gr3 car. Does anyone have one? Thank you.
You may use Prainao's Audi R8 EVO tune as a baseline setup and go from there. That's what I did with the McLaren.

Damn I hope you are feeling better by now. Get well soon!

This should have been fixed a few updates ago really. Really ruined the entire Gr.4 class regardless of track.

You have a great QT time for Race C. Must have narrowly missed you in races (Only raced 4 times this week so far). See you on track soon!

As for tuning, I am also on the fence on this one as it really does take some "extreme" and unrealistic setup to be fast (Not a GT specific issue, ACC suffers the same) and those setup are either locked behind a paywall (in ACC - though there are lots of Free setups available too) or not readily available (in GT, especially for Gr.3/4 tunes under BoP), which obviously increases the gap between aliens and "normal" racers. In Daily C this week I put in 2x extra miles for QT, did some basic setup (I aren't the best with setups) and drove the McLaren's wheels off and can't get into 1:54, while the Top guys are already at 1:52's.

I too had a similar experience to you at the Suzuka Daily Race A a while ago with the Silvias, I think I used Prainao's tune on the Sil-Eighty and posted a Top 40 QT time and won every single race I entered that week. By a Mile.

You may use Prainao's Audi R8 EVO tune as a baseline setup and go from there. That's what I did with the McLaren.
I will try that. On the tuning subject, maybe someone with the knowledge can make a guide or a cheat sheet with some pointers to help (us) noobs.

I managed a 1:33.2 at race B and I am starting dead last with ~0.3 difference to the next guy in front of me. I can't possibly imagine where I should find 1 second, not to mention 2 seconds to start at the top spots. This week is a mystery to me.
Will post my lap on YT after work later on today, hopefully can help you a bit :)

Besides group 4 which just needs a Mazda nerf, tuning allows me to use cars other than the meta in Group 3 while still being competitive. PD just needs to allow tunes to be copy/pasted from the leaderboards to make it easier for those who don’t want to bother making their own tunes

Edit:

After thinking a bit, I wanted to add a little more to this. While GT7’s physics model definitely has its flaws, the tuning model is actually quite nuanced, but gets held back by the physics. You really need a sketchy car, to realize how intricate the tuning model is

The problem is, that the explanation given on how different adjustments work, is very elementary at best, and does little in the way of explaining the “other effects” that the simple act of adjusting compression damping can influence. If you have IRL suspension knowledge, a lot of the ‘unspoken effects’ of simple adjustments are known. But if you don’t know this, you’re left to the frustration of trying to figure it out yourself.

As much as I generally roll my eyes at these gamer-type streamers that know little about the actual mechanics of a genre they make their living from, Rory was right about a few things.

PD really should make some mission challenges and Menu Books about tuning. If they’re aiming for Gran Turismo to be the all encompassing encyclopedia of Car culture (which they’re doing a great job of btw), they need to dedicate more time to teaching people about the mechanical side of cars, and how that works.
I would add they need to allow the fulL HUD in leaderboard ghosts (and make it mandatory) so you can actually see what gear/brake/steering inputs people are using.

I'm kinda getting bored with the kart races, I figured I probably would at some point. A choice of N900-N1000 cars would have been better. Like remember SSRX had 10 high-speed cars you could choose from in the A races.
I did some kart races yesterday and when I tried to set some quali times for Race C I kept oversteering right off the track!!! It was insane the difference in driving! I enjoyed karts a bit, but they’re ruining my other driving. In a fun, weird sort of way. It makes me more mindful of the craft I suppose.
I will try that. On the tuning subject, maybe someone with the knowledge can make a guide or a cheat sheet with some pointers to help (us) noobs.
When GT7 first came out there were all sorts of tuning guides out there, but the people who were really good at it quit because PD kept changing their physics models. The tire models alone changed several times in the first year. It rendered everything they had done moot, and anyone with real-world knowledge about tuning were more and more frustrated. It’s a shame because that’s one reason why I got the game.
I would add they need to allow the fulL HUD in leaderboard ghosts (and make it mandatory) so you can actually see what gear/brake/steering inputs people are using.
I hope I’m not being too obvious, but if you watch the replay of their lap before you load the ghost, you can study their inputs.

So interesting after a few races, first one I raced the Mazda as I have the fastest time in it 1.33.5, it’s dogpoo to drive running left and right under acceleration! And I struggled to keep up with the 458 so I tried that race 2 and it’s real good fun, more interesting though I beat (by a whisker) my time with the Subaru, second gear around the hairpin it’s fast!

I wonder if last minute/seconds setup changes in warm up don't actually load up for the race sometimes? I found the Vantage turned in to an understeering oversteering boat - then in following race it was fine again..

I've noticed previously that a late improvement in a qualifying lap won't show up for the race immediately following, but will be there for the next one.

I haven’t looked at the karts yet.

I looked at the karts - I also frequently looked in the gravel at turn one. Thus ending my race A experience this week.😂

Last edited:
Awesome. I already got it down to 1:32.8. I am also back to B ranking. But that is fine with me. A larger pool of drivers and a more casual experience.
Here is the lap:

In terms of racing, I figured might as well hop into my 2nd account (high B rated DR/ S Sportsmanship) and set a decent lap as I waited for the race to start. And wouldn't you know it... :D Again missed on fastest lap by 0.003s ⚰️ 😂

1707322131497.jpeg
1707322140455.jpeg

1707322151986.jpeg

@TechnoIsLove
Very nice but how did you manage to keep the Mazda's behind you in the race?
Consistency 😂 Actually, it really was about keeping consistent in the corners, where I gained enough of an advantage to break slipstream at all times. Obviously it was about remaining ahead (which I only just managed on lap 1) just as we started Sector 2 to go into the complex part with nobody ahead so I build a gap.

It was like this all race:

• Enter the start/ finish straight 1.7s ahead
  • Drop to 1s ahead as we exist the 1st tunnel
  • Build the gap up again
  • Repeat 5 more times
I took it easy on the final lap to make sure I don't fluff it 😂

Last edited:
So here went back dr B Yesterday to be back C today , knowing my qt was not good enough.
Back to B again 🤣🤣, and took my qt a bit down to 1.33.695 with a Big hit on wall before final turn that cost me at least .4.
Still running in the Ferrari 458 .

Last edited:
Consistency 😂 Actually, it really was about keeping consistent in the corners, where I gained enough of an advantage to break slipstream at all times. Obviously it was about remaining ahead (which I only just managed on lap 1) just as we started Sector 2 to go into the complex part with nobody ahead so I build a gap.

It was like this all race:

• Enter the start/ finish straight 1.7s ahead
  • Drop to 1s ahead as we exist the 1st tunnel
  • Build the gap up again
  • Repeat 5 more times
I took it easy on the final lap to make sure I don't fluff it 😂

Similar here, I stay with the NSX because it seems it fits me best with a 1:34:0. yesterday I rage quitted and today managed to gain places (1 place and once from 8 to 4) but it’s hell for me, so many fighting and even if I try to race clean and other drive into me, my SR goes down 🫤 yesterday a guy killed me, he drove into me full speed and I watched the replay, he didn’t even break at the last turn before the complex part 🤷🏻‍♂️ he got 4 sec penalty and me a destroyed car and losing about 7 places or so (from 5 to 12 or 13) 🫠
So, I have different feelings for race B.😂
I’ll drive to survive 😂

I switched to the Ferrari. I refuse to drive the Mazda. It should be delete from the game, or at least from sports mode. I managed a 1:32.6 but I feel like I should be able to drive a 32.3 or 32.2 with it. Meanwhile I am losing SR in every race. I am not touching anyone, apart from the fact that I am now a low SR B driver and get pounded a lot. Those people don't give a F. Not sure what is going on though. I think I had two 0.5 penalties today because of track limits. Nothing more. Positive side effect is that I would be back to DR A but since it can't get higher than your SR I am staying at DR B.

I switched to the Ferrari. I refuse to drive the Mazda. It should be delete from the game, or at least from sports mode. I managed a 1:32.6 but I feel like I should be able to drive a 32.3 or 32.2 with it. Meanwhile I am losing SR in every race. I am not touching anyone, apart from the fact that I am now a low SR B driver and get pounded a lot. Those people don't give a F. Not sure what is going on though. I think I had two 0.5 penalties today because of track limits. Nothing more. Positive side effect is that I would be back to DR A but since it can't get higher than your SR I am staying at DR B.
May be the race tracks are not designed to drive reverse, it feels wrong🥴 and PD should keep that in mind for the next races. The penalty system needs a polish.

Havent posted here for awhile to not being active in sport mode very much recently.

I jumped in and had an absolute blast in the Deep Forest Race C last week in the CLK. That thing with soft tires on was a dream.

On the flipside, like many others both in this forum and other places on the interwebs, this weeks B and C are a no go for me. I dont have time to tune, and even if I had one I do not have the inclination to put one in before every race.

If I did want to tune I am more inclined to fire up ACC and learn how to do it in that arena.

GT's usual strength is how accessable it is. I think its great that tuning exists for those that love it, but its limiting for the casuals when 2 out 3 races have it and the other race has DR disabled. I know I'm not bringing anything original to the party but it would be alot better if the tuning was present in either just one race or if they added more races.

It's nothing about the track , it's just a player problem.
Between those that do it on purpose first corner and if it's does not work and did not take 4/5/6 place by diving will left
Those that just look somewhere else and miss brake point.
Those not able to anticipate what's going on in front.
Those that think can overtake anywhere anycorner
Etc etc you can go any track any weeks you will find that .
So for myself i just try to deal with it myself , and as i'm not perfect , i know i will have a good series and bad one.

Last edited:
Greetings to all. I’ve lurked this forum for a long time and have thoroughly enjoyed the content and have learned a great deal from you guys and I always enjoy the videos. Would like to ask for some advice on switching from controller to a wheel if anyone could offer any. I’ve been using a controller and automatic trans forever and I’m really wanting to make the switch to manual and a wheel. Yesterday during race B after winding up side by side with another car coming out of that first nasty turn, I could literally see the guys car rocking as he changed gears as he just pulled away from me. So I was like, ok, I gotta do this.
I’ve acquired a Logitech G29 and some pedals but find I’m much worse this way, lol.

Just getting the hang of the manual trans while focusing on braking points is hard enough it seems, but using the manual brake pedal and then the amount of time it takes to turn the wheel in a 90 turn or worse is a bit overwhelming. I’m sure some of you made this transition and was just wondering if you could offer any advice.
Like maybe I just need to pick a “basic” track and just churn out a 100 laps or so?

I’m open to any advice, lol.

Oh and if anyone has setup suggestions for the 458 on race B I’d love to hear it. I managed a 1.33.9 in the 458 after finding the best I could do in the Mazda was a 1.34.3.

Greetings to all. I’ve lurked this forum for a long time and have thoroughly enjoyed the content and have learned a great deal from you guys and I always enjoy the videos. Would like to ask for some advice on switching from controller to a wheel if anyone could offer any. I’ve been using a controller and automatic trans forever and I’m really wanting to make the switch to manual and a wheel. Yesterday during race B after winding up side by side with another car coming out of that first nasty turn, I could literally see the guys car rocking as he changed gears as he just pulled away from me. So I was like, ok, I gotta do this.
I’ve acquired a Logitech G29 and some pedals but find I’m much worse this way, lol.

Just getting the hang of the manual trans while focusing on braking points is hard enough it seems, but using the manual brake pedal and then the amount of time it takes to turn the wheel in a 90 turn or worse is a bit overwhelming. I’m sure some of you made this transition and was just wondering if you could offer any advice.
Like maybe I just need to pick a “basic” track and just churn out a 100 laps or so?

Oh and if anyone has setup suggestions for the 458 on race B I’d love to hear it. I managed a 1.33.9 in the 458 after finding the best I could do in the Mazda was a 1.34.3.
It took me a month before I felt capable with a wheel. Took another to progress past my controller ability.

Best thing for me was grinding Tokyo and Sardegna for credits to learn. The subtlety of the wheel will come with time.

No experience with your particular wheel but people seem to like them and do well with them so keep at it. Practice precision in slower cars if the two tracks I mentioned aren't doable yet.

Last edited:

I can't drive controller to save my life so I can't advise on transition, but check your controller settings in-game. You may need to change those to match your wheel. If you look in the forums (Edit look here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/logitech-g29-settings-for-gt7.404911/) you may find a thread on G29 settings to get the best out of it (I still have my G29 but have not used it for 7 months so can't remember what my set up was now).

As for getting used to it, Suzuka is a good technical circuit. Fast straights, flowy turns and some hairpins. It's a good test track. You could try the circuit experience and then time trial there and play with set up.

The shift from auto to manual shifting when I transitioned took me about 3 hours to begin to "get it" and then a few days to really ingrain it. That will come and in a few days you won't know how to drive without it. Auto feels weird to me now - that lack of control. Again circuit experience is good for that.

Welcome to the wheel side!

Last edited:

Do you drive a real car? The only reason I ask is because you have to be much faster on a sim wheel than a car most of the time, don't be afraid to push/turn hard against the resistance.

Focus on pedal control, genuinely it's the difference. Pedals allow you to drag the brake or pick your exit throttle, the wheel is the distracting bit. Pedals, pedals pedals! And more pedals.

GT is a bit weird in that it requires you to turn in positively and earlier than you'd expect.

I've used a wheel for a long time but it still catches me out on how GT works. You have to turn the wheel quicker than you are used to. Both to catch slides but also make the apex, pedals! Match your speed.

Everything else is just using wheel control, pedals and not accidentally steering in to people and you are good.

In terms of lap times, it's a simple formula. Do the circuit experience, get a ghost slow or fast suitable to you and then don't restart, just bang 5-10 lap sessions. Suck the penalties up but work on getting laps slow or fast in. Do the laps, do not quit them at the first corner.

Back