GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,154 comments
But he dove to the right to get in front of me at the last second, presumably to get a better angle, and then slammed on the brakes at the same instant. I had no time to react and ended out running into him. It could have ruined his race but ruined mine instead, but should I feel bad about punting him in this situation, even though it didn’t hurt him? I’m actually more angry than sorry. Is this the right reaction?
This always ticks me off when it happens. They should know better. Not only are they making you have to suddenly adjust your plans, but you're in dirty air all of a sudden also. Not cool.

Had 2 decent races yesterday and today. Obviously it was a Mazda-fest but I love my trust old 650S :)

Race 1 - Started and finished in P2 and keeping up with P1 all race, whilst gapping the rest of the field.

Race 2 - Started in P11 on 3rd account, which is now funny as all 3 are A/S in ratings lol but anyways.. Soon dropped to P12 after he side-swiped me in a corner to get past but luckily, no damage. Was able to overtake him in the complex s-bends before the tunnel at the end of Sector 2. Ended up finishing in P7 after some very close racing. I was faster than the car in front but he defended well and I opted to not make contact and remain there behind him. Was good fun though. Also, my 3 qualy times are hilariously close to each other - Mr Consistent :P

1707581253414.jpeg
1707581287682.jpeg

1707581308872.jpeg

@TechnoIsLove if I can pull it all together for one even less than god like lap......

IMG_0144.jpeg

Edit:

@GrumpyOldMan @Bullwinkle

The rules and reality kinda don't match with computer games on these things.

In the real world if someone passed you enough to pull in front you would lift off as the trailing car and brake earlier, human instinct. In the gaming world the reactions and consequences aren't the same and the gaps "feel bigger" but reactions take longer because of network delay etc. also the cars aren't the most natural feeling in the game. For example you don't see countless any class races with people being rear ended constantly in real life.

In your instance, it wasn't polite to do what he did but the main etiquette rule is moving to a line once before the braking zone. That is it. The issue you faced is that they passed moved and then braked.

It's a tricky one because on the one hand they had passed you, on the other hand you should have been braking or lifting with them on the inside or outside as not to run wide in to them or turn in to them.

On balance of probabilities I'd say it was an impolite move and people should aim to be better because it's not fun for all involved (panic braking getting back to the line, panic braking to not hit a car that has moved that close in front of you)!

But it's a learning exercise, if you are passed like that again, leave safety space. "Damn he is gonna pass me, I can't defend and it's risky if I keep attacking/taking more normal line" "I lift off give him space and ME time to look at a line or react"

It is 100% ok to concede a space for the greater good of all or overall race time than to let these things surprise you.

T-boning a spinning car? Crack on my good friend. They had issues before you got involved 👍

Last edited:
It is 100% ok to concede a space for the greater good of all or overall race time than to let these things surprise you.
This is actually what I was trying to do. I realized he had the spot and was about to lift off to give me space to brake, but he did the swoop and brake before I let up. I was also looking at two other cars coming up on a a from behind and I didn’t want one place lost to turn into three places lost because I was playing fair. It was a bit of a Catch 22 is suppose.

I got into a couple of really really bad races this morning. I have to keep remembering not to race on Saturdays. The sportsmanship was terrible for SR S drivers and it’s pretty much convinced me to stop for the weekend.

Unfortunately I hate Suzuka, so two races are a “no” for me next week. PD you a still irking me so much! It shouldn’t be this complicated to make challenging races that are also fun each week. Surely they can’t be convinced they still need to cater to new players and dumb things down after two years? Or has it been three years already?

This game is going to drive me away from sports mode with this BS strict matchmaking that forces you in to groups. I feel like I am getting punished for doing well. If I am able to finish in the top 8 a lot, then I am constantly gaining DR and suddenly I am DR A again and can't keep up and always finish in the bottom half. And god forbid if I am lucky for once and people take each other out and I am finishing in 8th in group A and gain a bit of DR, then I am suddenly playing with A AND A+ people for whatever reason.

I don't know what to do. And it's not like "you just need to suck for a while and finish in the back". For whatever reason you are losing DR very slowly and you are stuck there for a while. I can't go faster. At some point during the week I do not improve and that is fine but apparently I fall right between group B and A and since the matchmaking is so strict the game just gives me the finger.

This is actually what I was trying to do. I realized he had the spot and was about to lift off to give me space to brake, but he did the swoop and brake before I let up. I was also looking at two other cars coming up on a a from behind and I didn’t want one place lost to turn into three places lost because I was playing fair. It was a bit of a Catch 22 is suppose.

I got into a couple of really really bad races this morning. I have to keep remembering not to race on Saturdays. The sportsmanship was terrible for SR S drivers and it’s pretty much convinced me to stop for the weekend.

Unfortunately I hate Suzuka, so two races are a “no” for me next week. PD you a still irking me so much! It shouldn’t be this complicated to make challenging races that are also fun each week. Surely they can’t be convinced they still need to cater to new players and dumb things down after two years? Or has it been three years already?
Caution is always your friend.

there is no catch 22, concede to the guy you are racing with and realise others smell blood.

I raced on my US account tonight to practice race craft doesn't matter where I finish as the aim is to practice close racing, overtakes but most importantly not get in the way of anyone so they were all 7-10 finishes but winning them was not my aim in this session. I set no qually time and it was mostly C/S or B/S

They are a lot different to my European lobbies. The contact is just what it is. That said there are lobbies full of "ambitious" types in all regions.

In the same way Tidgney thinks light flashes mean let's work together. That is not what they meant tonight in B lobbies I raced in. Mostly controller users with left stick at default to flash.

My point will always be the same, focus on the best line you can even if you have lost a place.

By now I think it's obvious it's just this way by design. There's enough people saying the format sucks from old and new players alike but this is clearly just the way they want it to be.

I've given up expecting or wanting the mode to change for the better, because I know it never will.

I hope tuning will vanish for the next races. I prefer, choose your car and deal with it🤷🏻‍♂️ nevertheless, I managed my way back to SR S and kept place in DR B 🤷🏻‍♂️ with the NSX … a miracle, now I switched to the Ferrari, makes life a bit easier in the first round in T1 😂 and dropped my optimum in QT to a low 1:32 … I didn’t know I may be that good 👀 … in quali… in race mostly o drop places, try to avoid contact and even if I try to race clean some SR A racers furiously try to sweep me off track… my hope to get back to high S lobbies and never see those guys again 😵‍💫

This game is going to drive me away from sports mode with this BS strict matchmaking that forces you in to groups. I feel like I am getting punished for doing well. If I am able to finish in the top 8 a lot, then I am constantly gaining DR and suddenly I am DR A again and can't keep up and always finish in the bottom half. And god forbid if I am lucky for once and people take each other out and I am finishing in 8th in group A and gain a bit of DR, then I am suddenly playing with A AND A+ people for whatever reason.

I don't know what to do. And it's not like "you just need to suck for a while and finish in the back". For whatever reason you are losing DR very slowly and you are stuck there for a while. I can't go faster. At some point during the week I do not improve and that is fine but apparently I fall right between group B and A and since the matchmaking is so strict the game just gives me the finger.
This is currently my position. I’m low DR A. For a while I bounced around DR B and DR A but gradually built to a level where I’m holding around the mid 20% in the category.

I agree the racing is tough. The grid is closer and you can get put in lobbies where you feel you don’t stand a chance. However I like it. I feel the racing at this level forces me to be better.

The downside though is that i DO FEEL that i need to be better so I am more selective of the races i do and only consider those where i might be competitive. Consequently i did none this week as i don’t like the combos.

The flip side of this is that I’m also now spending more time in other aspects of the game.

Last edited:
To @TheNormsk post which is spot on.

It takes effort are every level. You have to want to be the clean driver or the fast one. Ideally both.

But it takes effort to get better at the combos, gold the circuit experiences.

It takes effort, most fail at the hard work part of it. Life, time blah blah blah.

We all have those things. But going smoother, safe faster is a by product of practice not racing, racing helps but if you know the track put the time in to improve.

It takes effort are every level. You have to want to be the clean driver or the fast one. Ideally both.

It takes effort, most fail at the hard work part of it. Life, time blah blah blah.

We all have those things. But going smoother, safe faster is a by product of practice not racing, racing helps but if you know the track put the time in to improve.
You keep saying this. It's a video game, not a job. And people DO have limitations. That is the whole point of matchmaking and grouping people in A/B/C/D lobbies. By your logic we would all end up in A+ if we just practice enough. This is just not the case. Not in a game and especially not in real life. Imagine Schumacher telling this Massa or Barrichello. At some point people reach a limit.

And I don't actually want to spend the whole week practicing. Practicing is ok and needed but I also don't want to be a A+ or A driver. I am totally fine with that. The point I am making is that the game gives me no choice. If you drive halfway decent you end up getting shoved in to lobbies where you just have to deal with the fact that you are one of the slowest guys. The game basically says: you did really well the last few races, why not suck for a while.

I am constantly bouncing between A and B which is a terrible experience and is has been for a while. This might be a special case of my (sucky) time being a top 3 time in group B and a bottom 5 for group A (which doesn't actually exist because most of the time it's a mix of A and A+ which is another problem in itself). The whole matchmaking and how you gain DR is too strict, especially for a small field of only 16 people.

Last edited:
I am constantly bouncing between A and B which is a terrible experience and is has been for a while. This might be a special case of my (sucky) time being a top 3 time in group B and a bottom 5 for group A (which doesn't actually exist because most of the time it's a mix of A and A+ which is another problem in itself). The whole matchmaking and how you gain DR is too strict, especially for a small field of only 16 people.
I will somewhat support your argument here. I found the jump from B to A puts you in a whole different category/class (ironically you are) but what I mean by this, is that if you improve your DR by 3% to move from B to A, you are then not racing against racers that are a small incremental improvement over the Bs before. No they are suddenly a lot higher performance. When I was at the top of B, I could be starting in the top 3 and finishing on podium with ease. As soon as you move to A (which gets a +10% bump in promotion) you find yourself that in the bottom 8 with racers that can be significantly faster. It is a shock at first.

However, you do start to adjust. While racing at the top of B is fun for the ego, I prefer the harder racing in A. I find the step up in the quality of the driving to be a significant pull. Yes, it can be stressful as the lobbies can be much more condensed. I've had lobbies where all 16 cars have been separated by only tenths of a second but also grids where there is top A+ that are a full second or two ahead of the rest of the field. I've now found that in these lobbies I am racing for a position between 6 and 10th. That's my expectation now and I'm okay with that as that is still a gain in DR.

For a long time I thought the solution would be that competition should be selected by a live QT before the race. But you know what, that would not work either as you'll get sandbaggers that put in a slow QT to get paired up against lesser competition so that they then have an easy drive to win. There will always be ways to game the system. While nothing is perfect, I am okay with the current ranking system.

I feel your pain, I've bounced around alot between A and B, I'm about 10% to 15% level A at the moment but I don't mind being in with A+ lobbies.
I have no expectations of reaching much higher than I'm at now but it's great running in races with aliens.

I only run in Daily B and usually just GR4, so try and hang on to A rating by knowing my limitations.

This was a race today I finished 14th and lost DR but it was great racing.

18d952b521416-screenshotUrl.jpg

God, I've been so busy and slammed the latter half of my week, this is the total # of races I've done this week so far. I ain't even touched the Nurb GP track yet (C races).

A races- 6
B races- 8

Idk if I'm gonna push more to improve my time at DF, who knows?

I feel your pain, I've bounced around alot between A and B, I'm about 10% to 15% level A at the moment but I don't mind being in with A+ lobbies.
I have no expectations of reaching much higher than I'm at now but it's great running in races with aliens.

I only run in Daily B and usually just GR4, so try and hang on to A rating by knowing my limitations.

This was a race today I finished 14th and lost DR but it was great racing.

View attachment 1327024
Hey Rob, what Gr. 4 car are you using on DF? I'm having a time in the middle section after I pass the tunnel(after sharp right turn). Well what's your PSN acct name, I'm Chris.

I feel like I am getting punished for doing well. If I am able to finish in the top 8 a lot, then I am constantly gaining DR and suddenly I am DR A again and can't keep up and always finish in the bottom half. And god forbid if I am lucky for once and people take each other out and I am finishing in 8th in group A and gain a bit of DR, then I am suddenly playing with A AND A+ people for whatever reason.
I have railed about this plenty in the past. Two things:

1) Letting off steam by complaining about it here is good - you'll find a lot of people agree with you.

2) It's not going to change. The choice is to either accept it, or find another game. And also, finding pleasure in things other than increasing your DR (yes, I know this is ironic coming from me).

I have railed about this plenty in the past. Two things:

1) Letting off steam by complaining about it here is good - you'll find a lot of people agree with you.

2) It's not going to change. The choice is to either accept it, or find another game. And also, finding pleasure in things other than increasing your DR (yes, I know this is ironic coming from me).
PD should make our DR go up in the A races because the B and C ones are harder for me, because the drivers in 60-70% of my lobbies are A/B drivers and they are competitive. There's always some kind of carnage going on at DF. People ramming others into the wall(near the ambulance), and then the dirty drivers sideswipe the lower ranked drivers into the wall. It's insane.

Well I'll work on some more A and B races tonight/tomorrow and that will be it for this week. The Grantracker would not download on my laptop, I tried it the other day. It said there was an error when trying to install.

So, I can't figure out what my DR total is.

I think this is spot on, I’ve never been an A driver on GT7, at best B/S and I think that’s probably my level, I guess unless I have put enough practice in to get a decent time, I’ll slip back down to about BA or BB, so maybe that’s my level 😂

For me though I like racing, I’d class myself as clean but I do have the odd rush of blood if I’m treated poorly on track and I lash out - so you’re comment on effort resonates with me.

I did however get to AS on GTS towards the end so decided to leave it there.

GT is more than just a game for me, you don’t get anything in life unless you work hard for it - no different here

After spending a week time trialing and getting frustrated with Mount Parorama I thought I’d check out what was going on in the daily races.

I did a couple of kart races. They were fun after I increased the degrees of rotation on my wheel so the steering was less sensitive. Still I’m not very good at kart.

Then I decided to check out race B. I was well down the grid so started to play with different cars. I started to find some flow with the Mazda and started to warm to the track to the point that the combo was getting enjoyable. Perhaps I should have focused on this earlier in the week. I completely forgot about tuning or brake bias. I got top 600 globally with a stock car!!!

IMG_7791.jpeg

IMG_7790.jpeg

I think that is one of my best ever places for end of the week. At the time I felt I had more in me but it was getting late. As soon as I got sub 1:32 I quit for the night. Now I’ll probably never get close to that again. 🤔

Last edited:
After spending a week time trialing and getting frustrated with Mount Paramour I thought I’d check out what was going on in the daily races.

I did a couple of kart races. They were fun after I increased the degrees of rotation on my wheel so the steering was less sensitive. Still I’m not very good at kart.

Then I decided to check out race B. I was well down the grid so started to play with different cars. I started to find some flow with the Mazda and started to warm to the track to the point that the combo was getting enjoyable. Perhaps I should have focused on this earlier in the week. I completely forgot about tuning or brake bias. I got top 600 globally with a stock car!!!

View attachment 1327122
View attachment 1327123

I think that is one of my best ever places for end of the week. At the time I felt I had more in me but it was getting late. As soon as I got sub 1:32 I quit for the night. Now I’ll probably never get close to that again. 🤔
friday movie GIF

As this week of racing is going to end.

I did almost only race B most of the time with the Ferrari 458.

This combo was really nice gr4 with deep forest reverse , bring some really close racing feeling touring car race.

Watching replay you realise how close we are to each other , so it's obvious contact happens and as there is wall all around the track , can be really tough.

I'm really bad with the mazda that's why i did not use it and even if i had pole quite a few time as i managed a good qt, rare where the race i did not have a mazda already passing me before the airspin.

Well still i managed three win, 2 of them in full dr B lobby and a lot of podium . So really pleased with that. Also had race with A+/S driver Oo.

So a great week of racing , really competitive one where i had to really focus to get good result.

Mazda friend driver you are right to use this machine once you are in our slipstream we already Lost 😉✌️

And to finish was pleased to get some private message few time to thanks me for my racing. Had even one race where an italian did protect my pos with his Mazda instead of passing me .

Last edited:
I’d like to ask a question: I don’t have video, but you’ve all been in the same situation, I’m sure. On that long straight on the backside of Nurburgring GP I had a guy pass me on the left, so I was going to accept that I’d lose a spot when we got to the chicane. But he dove to the right to get in front of me at the last second, presumably to get a better angle, and then slammed on the brakes at the same instant. I had no time to react and ended out running into him. It could have ruined his race but ruined mine instead, but should I feel bad about punting him in this situation, even though it didn’t hurt him? I’m actually more angry than sorry. Is this the right reaction?
If it is something similar to what the Merc did in one of my races in Watkins Glen last week (At 1:40), I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I knew I could brake late and still make the corner compare to most others and made the best effort to find an empty side of track for it.

Re: The DR B & A issues that we are having, I too was in the exact position of bouncing between A or B a lot in my old controller a/c. I could pole/win 3 B races in a row to be promoted to A, then for the next 3 races I could be running alone for the entire race in 12th. I think the issue is we are immediately being put in full A/A+ lobbies when we freshly got promoted to A instead of a mixed B/A lobby hence the huge jump in speed/competitiveness.

I do think live QT should be a thing like the Manufacturer races but just to determine the grip order instead of matchmaking.

After spending a week time trialing and getting frustrated with Mount Paramour I thought I’d check out what was going on in the daily races.
Which car have you been using on Bathurst? I was also spending too much time there (RS tyre on Bathurst is a blast!) and now chasing the last 0.2s to get a sub-2:00 time.

Last edited:
Hey Rob, what Gr. 4 car are you using on DF? I'm having a time in the middle section after I pass the tunnel(after sharp right turn). Well what's your PSN acct name, I'm Chris.
I use the 650s, 3rd gear at that corner, coast until straight then flat and then slight lift on the right uphill bump.
PSN shown on name above.

QT lap saved in showcase #gtp

Last edited:
Actually having a blast on DF this morning, had around 6-7 races starting around 6-8 and finishing around 2-4 but what really stands out is the clean racing all around at B/B.

I’ve heard a few times these are like touring cars and I’d agree on this mornings races.

Improved on my time slightly with the Mazda so I’ll stick with that this afternoon and try to improve a little, hopefully my 1.32.7 can be beaten

Hope you’re all having some decent racing wherever you are 👍🏻

@TechnoIsLove Sorry, not sorry 🤣

IMG_0145.jpeg

Edit:

Just wanted to share a tip that I use to help me continually improve.

Firstly when I feel I'm getting vaguely to my limit (ability, mood, mental, car etc) I'll do 5-10 laps consecutively.

Finish the session, take a picture of the session performance (the sector comparison screen)

I then go to "share" on the PS5 (I think you can do this on the PS4 as well) and save recent gameplay, typically the last 30 mins.

This allows me to watch my fastest sectors back rather thank just see I was faster in S1 on the 3rd lap etc.

It also has the benefit of including not just the sector times but the delta and ghost position.

Then it's just a matter of looking comparatively at the braking points, acceleration points and gear and when I changed gears. This is all against the backdrop of being able to see the picture of the best laps/sectors in context.

Last edited:
I’ve been there too, and felt the same. Once it became apparent that I was going to always have at least one foot in A I decided to treat the A/A+ races as an opportunity to follow good drivers and learn. There’s lots to learn from them just by watching. You’ll pick up a few things and next thing you know you’ll finish in the top half often enough that you’ll stay A.

And then eventually you won’t remember what it was like driving in all B lobbies anymore.

Which car have you been using on Bathurst? I was also spending too much time there (RS tyre on Bathurst is a blast!) and now chasing the last 0.2s to get a sub-2:00 time.
The Genesis X but I recently switched to the Ford GT LM. I find the Ford more stable and more consistent. I still invalidate 90% on my laps though.

Last edited:
Back