GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 33,643 comments
After an evening bike ride I decided to do a few QT laps for daily C. I tried the Scirocco, the TT Cup to mediocre results and then switched to the Vantage. Something clicked a few laps in that gained time on corner one. Touch the brakes to turn in, then coast, then touch the brakes again to turn in one more before accelerating out. Before I was braking all the time, but the coasting is key.

I jumped up the leader board.
IMG_8246.jpeg

I need to unfriend you fast guys though… :D

Still on the global I found I had a top 1000 time. That’s always a good session when you get top 1000. At least for me. I haven’t been driving anywhere close to my rating recently.

IMG_8245.jpeg

So I may actually try some racing. How is the Vantage with tire strategy?

Last edited:
After an evening bike ride I decided to do a few QT laps for daily C. I tried the Scirocco, the TT Cup to mediocre results and then switched to the Vantage. Something clicked a few laps in that gained time on corner one. Touch the brakes to turn in, then coast, then touch the brakes again to turn in one more before accelerating out. Before I was braking all the time, but the coasting is key.

I jumped up the leader board.
View attachment 1367753
I need to unfriend you fast guys though… :D

Still on the global I found I had a top 1000 time. That’s always a good session when you get top 1000. At least for me. I haven’t been driving anywhere close to my rating recently.

View attachment 1367752

In my car quest I started with the jag but it just wasn't doing it for me. Scirroco was my car of choice a few weeks ago on this track but the mediums just didn't have the same flavor. Landed on the audi and posted that unicorn lap you see at the top of your screen. I've had a tough time keeping that race pace but I usually land fastest lap in my races.

I jumped on tonight around 10pm and that my 300 ranked time landed me p9 in a stacked lobby. Didn't go well and ended up p12 with DR loss so I bounced for a bit and came back at midnight to some easier lobbies and have a couple of podiums as a result. The toughest part about winning in the early hours is turning it off when you have to get up in a few hours.

Last edited:
After my ‚Practice MOnday‘ (learn Track and breaking Point‘s) i start yesterday to get my QT in a good range for a B/S Driver. I saw ‚GrumpyOLd Dan‘s‘ time 1:33,509 and i got a 1:33,399 in Race B. For Race C i use the Audi TT and got a 1:41,648. In my second, Race Practice Account i set a 1:42,099 and know i want to race, so i try. I don‘t know why, but i use the 650s in Race. Start from P12, had a good Race with a Italian Driver of a Ferrari and a Audi TT. Very clean racing, but i was not able to hold them. After the Pit stop (my stop was 3 seconds longer then the others?) i‘ll get back from 6 to 13. In the last round i was P11 near behind 9 and 10, so i wait whats happend. P9 and 10 fighting hard and the citroen make a mistake so i was close to the Italian Ferrari Driver in the last chicane and thought i can catch him. But… the Citroen Driver hit me and i go into the grass. He get‘s a 4 Sec Penalty and try to shot the Ferrari out befor the race was finished. So i endet P11 with clean race bonus.
Later i read the new time from Grumpy and my evening was completly destroyed.

Try this eving again.

Well I gave a few more races a go last night with mixed results; I’ll blame me drinking all the beers in the fridge before! Set a lightning quick Quali at Gardens to guarantee a high placing in the races;

IMG_7516.jpeg

I binned the Porsche in favour of the AMG mainly because I found that in addition to its low top speed it understeered quite badly through the fast right left half way through the lap. The AMG is wild but fast when you nail it. Is it wise to use it in a race? Nah. But I did anyway

In the first race a few mistakes meant I got caught by a group of three quick drivers so I let them all duke it out as they were all so close together and I followed for 4th. Next race I was in my own little race at the front miles from anyone when I got a weird flick from the sausage curbs and ended up nose in at 90 degrees on the barrier which cost me 20+ seconds. I ended 13th ☹️

Final race was the good one but I’d lost a bit of DR in that previous race which was a shame, I was lapping in the low 1:32s so going some but I didn’t think I took liberties through the chicane in that race; maybe just unlucky.

Anyways last race I did the whole lot, pole position, fastest lap, clean race and the win! Even though I nearly binned it last corner last lap going for a PB lap time 🤣

IMG_7514.jpeg

IMG_7517.jpeg

Pedal to the metal! What I really enjoyed was even the race where I span and finished near the back it’s such a fun experience in VR that I wasn’t bothered. Definitely looking to do more races from now on and good to be back 🤓

Last edited:
@Dan_Tes that's amazing. I'm hoping to get up to the top as much as possible. See I'm starting to understand the MT. I found out about that red indicator beside the regular gears. It indicates what you should shift your gears up/down to for each corner.

Front right is awful. I heavily recommend putting lap 5 and going for the undercut, maybe even lap 4 (but that will leave you struggling on lap 11)

Havent tried lap 4 yet as 5 has worked well.

But I'm not the best on tyre management personally anyway so you might be better!!!

Dont try the no tyre change strat. It is not worth it. You will lose more than the 2.5 secs gained in the pits.
Front right is awful. I heavily recommend putting lap 5 and going for the undercut, maybe even lap 4 (but that will leave you struggling on lap 11)

Havent tried lap 4 yet as 5 has worked well.

But I'm not the best on tyre management personally anyway so you might be better!!!
Optimal is lap 5 regarding tyre managment but lap 4 is possible (I made it to "by pass" a 0.5 secs pen for track limits in the chicane).
I also tried lap 6 to avoid traffic (3 cars 1 sec. ahead of me entered the pits in lap 5) and I believed they fought each other on that lap because I exited the pits ahead the 3 of them.

This is the first Gr. 4 race that I enjoy in ages.
The flow of the track and variety of cars (I saw someone fighting for podiums on a Swift!) are making this combo very good Imo.

Lots of fun in daily race A this week. I've never been so high up in qualifying time before. There's another 0.3 there if I can string together a clean lap and perfect final chicane.

19054e9755246-screenshotUrl.jpg

For the most part, it's clean.. But I'm finding that people are sliding all over the place and think people are being malicious when getting hit. I think this is a relatively difficult car to control and have made my fair share of contact with others accidentally only to be shadow-realmed a few corners later. Go easy on each other, folks.

Touch the brakes to turn in, then coast, then touch the brakes again to turn in one more before accelerating out. Before I was braking all the time, but the coasting is key.
Yes, turn one is key (one of them). I learned that I can get on the accelerator earlier than I used to by shifting up just before apexing. That upshift actually rotates the car slightly.

I'm not fast, I think we have the same speed, but my extra hundreds are coming from the following cheats:
  • The mid corner upshifts
  • Later/softer braking compensated by slight wheel wiggle in the two long left corners

My QT is nowhere near my race speed. I QT'ed 10+11 yesterday, finished 11+12.

Yes, turn one is key (one of them). I learned that I can get on the accelerator earlier than I used to by shifting up just before apexing. That upshift actually rotates the car slightly.
Oooh, I will try that next time.
Later/softer braking compensated by slight wheel wiggle in the two long left corners
I found the soft brake -> coast -> soft brake was working pretty well for me in the two long left handers. I find I have to remind myself to get off the brake as you actually need a lot less that you may think. I'm sure I'm still braking too much.... So I should try the downshift -> coast (upshift while coasting) and then build acceleration and try to avoid the second braking point.

The other critical corner (which one isn't?) where a lot of time can be lost is the coming out the hairpin and setting yourself up for the right/left kink after that.

Last edited:
I still think GT needs a demolition derby style of race. Hard damage model, short dirt cross track, and last car racing wins.
Did you just describe Wreckfest? lol. If you can find a clean server there, it is actually great racing with touring car rules, with arguably more realistic road car physics than GT7 (in my opinion).

---------------------------

I had been curious about SimGrid "daily races" in ACC but found it very hard to find info. Tidgney just posted a great guide on it. The mini enduro events look fun and suits my style.

Did you just describe Wreckfest? lol. If you can find a clean server there, it is actually great racing with touring car rules, with arguably more realistic road car physics than GT7 (in my opinion).

I had been curious about SimGrid "daily races" in ACC but found it very hard to find info. Tidgney just posted a great guide on it. The mini enduro events look fun and suits my style.

Looks like he stepped on some Legos or something

I don't know if I'll try an A race, but it's quite good fun to get some times in.

B, I've got a decent enough time, putting me around 7th on the grid. But the racing has been horrendously dirty ☹️ A combination of sausage kerbs and hard tyres would appear to be a bad mix. Plus accidental touches leading to deliberate punts - this in a room with 50/50 A+/S and A/S🫤

C, I've had some great, clean racing - but I need to take over a second off my qualifying time to be anywhere near the front of the grid 😮 Pole times have been 1:39.2s to .4s in the races I did

I did three Race As this afternoon.

I'm not sure if it's because players have had their DR reset but frequently I was the only A rated driver out there. In two of the races, more than 50 percent of my opponents were DR C.

The reason I mention DR resets is because in spite of the objective 'skill gap', my quali was only good enough for 2nd or 3rd.

To be fair, I found overtaking very easy after applying some pressure and usually by lap 3 I was away into the sunset. In one race I even waited up for my nearest challenger so that we could actually have some racing action!

I'm far from bragging here, just curious... Has anyone experienced anything resembling a decent fair battle at Goodwood this week?

Haven't watched the entire video yet (only @Tidgney intro talking through the options) but this looks like the type of racing and rotation of circuits that I've been wanting GT to do. Perhaps I need to learn how to drive in ACC....?

Can you go 2 wide through the tight chicane at Kyoto.
Pretty certain I've gone three wide around there before.... :cheers:

Last edited:
I must apologize to @A_Higher_Place.
I saw him twice at race A today. We qualified 1 & 2.
In the first one, I stretched out a pretty good lead, then hit a wall at the chicane on lap 4. That allowed him to catch up, and pass me. He took the win. :gtpflag:

In the second race, I screwed up on lap 1, allowing him to to take P1. At the final turn before the chicane, I bumped him from behind.
I suppose we have different braking points. Nevertheless, it was my fault for not being cautious enough. I think he ended up finishing around 4th.
It was all my fault. I'll try to do better. :(

I must apologize to @A_Higher_Place.
I saw him twice at race A today. We qualified 1 & 2.
In the first one, I stretched out a pretty good lead, then hit a wall at the chicane on lap 4. That allowed him to catch up, and pass me. He took the win. :gtpflag:

In the second race, I screwed up on lap 1, allowing him to to take P1. At the final turn before the chicane, I bumped him from behind.
I suppose we have different braking points. Nevertheless, it was my fault for not being cautious enough. I think he ended up finishing around 4th.
It was all my fault. I'll try to do better. :(
Mistakes happen my guy! None of us are pros. You are seriously quick through the chicane so it's no wonder there was contact. Still wrestling with weight transfer and how to enter that corner!

Your last minute attempt at redemption in race 1 was fantastic. I didn't expect you to try and fly around the outside of me. That takes some guts to throw out there at that speed. Pleasure racing you 👍🏻

So did one on my main account tonight and I'm squarely an A driver all fine and a bit untidy.

US account is a mixed bag there are the top 1-3 that just drive off but the remaining packs are pretty skill mixed...that is problematic

In a slightly longer race with different cars and tire choices the first lap corner for the win isn't a thing, neither is forcing it.

I have lots of ways to say it but settled on this.

Race for positions absolutely but be aware enough to understand the strategy going on around you.

Overall fun and rage quitting evening it is what it is. And this is why we play, race and try to perfect our sim craft

US account is a mixed bag there are the top 1-3 that just drive off but the remaining packs are pretty skill mixed...that is problematic
That is my experience with being mid-A in the US. There are always a few that are just leagues ahead of the rest. I've given up any notion of winning, and even top 5 is usually a dream, but my goal is usually to get top 9. If that happens, I usually still gain points, sometimes even with top 10 - though that is mostly awash.

I actually have good races when I QT just behind the A+ guys. I can often keep up with then if I stay close, but as soon as I drop back because of pit strategy or an incident, then I fall back fast. This is a problem because I'm a better time trialer than a racer. If I'm on pole I suck. If I'm in 2nd and I have a "rabbit" to chase then I'm happier as I will do better in the race than being on pole.

I've found that not taking risks to try to win and just accepting that I am often upper mid-pack now I am still progressing up the rankings. Or I was. I think I've hiit my limit and psychologically I think that is why I am racing sport less. The constant gain before was motivating but that gain is hard to find now. I may just have to accept this and be prepared to tank my DR to get back into racing as my brain and reflexes are getting too slow to keep up with the youngsters here! :lol:

Last edited:
I did three Race As this afternoon.

I'm not sure if it's because players have had their DR reset but frequently I was the only A rated driver out there. In two of the races, more than 50 percent of my opponents were DR C.

The reason I mention DR resets is because in spite of the objective 'skill gap', my quali was only good enough for 2nd or 3rd.

To be fair, I found overtaking very easy after applying some pressure and usually by lap 3 I was away into the sunset. In one race I even waited up for my nearest challenger so that we could actually have some racing action!

I'm far from bragging here, just curious... Has anyone experienced anything resembling a decent fair battle at Goodwood this week?
My races have been similar, from a perspective further back. I've raced on my practice account without QT. So, best finish was P4, worst was P8. Some races consisted almost completely of DR B drivers, with one or two DR A's, the next one had lots of DR C drivers (some of them very quick). No idea why. The races have mostly been fun, but the fact that I tried to get as far as possible through the whole field presented too many opportunities to get kicked off the track (mostly unintentionally). Biggest problem for me: I catch up to a group of cars fighting for the podium, try to be patient to wait for the right opportunity for a move, but that slows me down massively, and then the driver behind me approaches the scene, misjudges his braking and pushes me out. That happened several times.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'll try an A race, but it's quite good fun to get some times in.

B, I've got a decent enough time, putting me around 7th on the grid. But the racing has been horrendously dirty ☹️ A combination of sausage kerbs and hard tyres would appear to be a bad mix. Plus accidental touches leading to deliberate punts - this in a room with 50/50 A+/S and A/S🫤

C, I've had some great, clean racing - but I need to take over a second off my qualifying time to be anywhere near the front of the grid 😮 Pole times have been 1:39.2s to .4s in the races I did

I was quite looking forward to race B this week, hit a QT putting me in 5th so thought that’d do, but the dirty racing has cooled my interest, no doubt this weekend I’ll chuck some time into it, but it’s too often ruining my appetite for racing

I know next week will be a gr4 and I’ll be enjoying it again - am I falling out of love with gr3? The hard tyre certainly doesn’t help!

I falling out of love with gr3? The hard tyre certainly doesn’t help!
I definitely hear you on that. I like Gr3 but prefer Gr4 (personally) but I just don't understand why the medium isn't the default tire.

It's balanced in that we all have to use the RH but you'd think they could be more creative than they are....

It seems like they want to make the handling a little trickier than it already is. Probably a gameplay choice but my god does it make it draining sometimes.

just have to accept this and be prepared to tank my DR to get back into racing
Yeah that’s started lol.

Did two C races. First one was okay, running in 5th until pits and 7th after the shake out but I was comfortable there until I lost it lap 9 🤦‍♂️ at the bottom of the hill. In the end I finished 10th.

Second race was so different. That was a blood bath. I started 7th but all hell breaks loose through sector 2 with cars ghosting and banging each other. Somehow I drove through a couple ghosts and come out 6th. That didn’t last though, next lap, I get punted in the side at the hairpin, spinning me out to last. Watching the replay, the offender then went on to crash himself out. He obviously contemplated life choices while he sat in the grass watching the field go by, and started back up but then quit out. So I guess, thanks?

In the end came 13th. So a good point reduction day. 😡

Side note, I find the Vantage handles a bit like a boat when fully fueled. Feels like it drives totally different than QT form.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s started lol.

Did two C races. First one was okay, running in 5th until pits and 7th after the shake out but I was comfortable there until I lost it lap 9 🤦‍♂️ at the bottom of the hill. In the end I finished 10th.

Second race was so different. That was a blood bath. I started 7th but all hell breaks loose through sector 2 with cars ghosting and banging each other. Somehow I drove through a couple ghosts and come out 6th. That didn’t last though, next lap, I get punted in the side at the hairpin, spinning me out to last. Watching the replay, the offender then went on to crash himself out. He obviously contemplated life choices while he sat in the grass watching the field go by, and started back up but then quit out. So I guess, thanks?

In the end came 13th. So a good point reduction day. 😡

Side note, I find the Vantage handles a bit like a boat when fully fueled. Feels like it drives totally different than QT form.

We were in that 2nd race together. I got screwed on the corkscrew. Thus is life

I find the Vantage handles a bit like a boat when fully fueled. Feels like it drives totally different than QT form.
I agree, the understeer is chronic compared to the veyron or 650.

I see where the pace is in it, straights and gearing suits the track but in race it's an awkward car for the first couple of laps.

Really inconsistent in my hands to get it to turn in.

What I do need to try is the FF stuff as the TT seems weirdly strong as well. I'm assuming some short shifting for exits and late braking is the key with the TT, or that's how it looks in race.

I agree, the understeer is chronic compared to the veyron or 650.

I see where the pace is in it, straights and gearing suits the track but in race it's an awkward car for the first couple of laps.

Really inconsistent in my hands to get it to turn in.

What I do need to try is the FF stuff as the TT seems weirdly strong as well. I'm assuming some short shifting for exits and late braking is the key with the TT, or that's how it looks in race.

I've been running the TT and it feels really good other than the last hairpin. Can't seem to get that one right. Otherwise it carries speed very well if i can remember to not brake so much

Back