GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,207 comments
So, the F1 Honda can get pretty squirly at times, I have to be in the proper state of mind to drive it, too much coffee and I’m screwed. Such was the case this morning. I got stuck in an A/A+ room (I’m a low DR-B) and was spinning like a top, I was more suited for a drifting competition than Eiger Nordwand. I would love to blame the spinning on other drivers but, that wasn’t the case, in fact they all did a pretty good job avoiding me 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I have enjoyed the challenge, of racing with the Honda RA272. This car is DEFINITELY a challenge to manage on this course with the CS tires, constant elevation changes, and lightweight. You must have the braking points down pat, throttle, and steering inputs. I have spun out quite a bit but had some great races.

The races at Suzuka have been fun too. I wish they were 10 laps though.

Loving race C!!

Kind of trivial but I wish we had the option to purchase the car on the same screen where we rent it. The field would be even better with a bunch of unique liveries.

Having pounded laps and laps around Suzuka I have a couple of comments on the physics.

1. Smooth is key, coasting much more beneficial as a transition time to settle the car

2. Slides are easier to catch! Shock horror.

But the caveat with No2 is you have to be lightning fast and also very much either off the throttle or lifting even sometimes tapping the brakes to help the counter steer (dab of oppo)

Catching cars on the throttle is much harder because the weight and grip now move at separate time intervals so you can't feel as easily the suspension loading on the snap back. The cars before were visually flatter so you could guess the transition point easier.

3. Braking is "different" in that the weight transfer effects it wildly with the rear lifting and reducing the grip and with angle on makes it harder to brake as hard.

4. Trail braking is much more important but much harder to modulate. I think a lot of people will need to adjust from over braking and lifting off thinking that is what trail braking is. It's a hard adjustment for me as it was one of my go to strategies coupled with aggressive over downshifting letting the engine braking some of my ham fistedness

Overall I'm getting used to the way the cars handle more now but as a wheel user and really struggling with inconsistent feedback not just the weight (torque of the wheel) but the random oscillation, the over zealous now curb mechanics and how the car mass is communicated.

A lot of refinement is needed in both the physics and FFB implementation. Its like the 2 teams didn't talk to each other and the QA team were to afraid to speak up or didn't know which team needed to fix it.

Because you can physically skip gears like down shifting directly from 5th to 3rd without having to go through 4th.

That is one shift so is faster than 2 shifts in GT.

There is an argument that MT (GT Sequential) is OP over Automatic in almost all situations as well.

I just enjoy the immersion and enjoy shifting along with what's happening on screen whether it be paddle or sequential, especially in VR. There is a nice flow where you can load the gear change from neutral and slam it home at just the right moment that feels awesome and I only get to enjoy that in single player. Never been bothered to try and abuse gear skips.

I just enjoy the immersion and enjoy shifting along with what's happening on screen whether it be paddle or sequential, especially in VR. There is a nice flow where you can load the gear change from neutral and slam it home at just the right moment that feels awesome and I only get to enjoy that in single player. Never been bothered to try and abuse gear skips.
I am exactly the same, in fact years ago when I bought my G27 it was because of the 6sp with sequential lock. I actually enjoy a manual box all of my faster cars were manual in real life.

That said, after adjusting to paddles I wouldn't be adverse to a modern DCT/PDK style paddle/automatic box now. Does it remove some of the involvement? Yes and no.

I will say on the gear skips I'd do it frequently in manual cars especially performance ones where trail braking hard (E36 M3 and Cayman first gen) didn't like a lot of engine braking so 4th to second when on a spirited run was the much more stable option.

In real life the weird higher gear understeer thing is no where near as pronounced as it is in GT.

Last edited:
Just had an issue on Suzuka where the 5th place car ground to a halt on the formation run. Luckily I wasn't too far behind and the AI got my car past and eventually I managed 3rd but the whole grid was out of sync, cars in front of me, none behind. Leader had a good 10 seconds on me.

I had a very pleasantly surprising first evening's session at Eiger, after my initial doubts over this combo's suitability for racing.

This car is nuts on Comfort tyres, but I think that's exactly where one can learn important lessons regarding how to handle difficult situations.

It's exactly what Gran Turismo should be all about, in my book. That said, it's really weird to have an 8-minute race in a 30-minute slot. My guess is that they wanted it to be Race A but didn't fancy giving us the opportunity to earn ≈600k per hour in Sport Mode, and that getting results in this sort of combo would be criminal without potential DR gains to be made.

Right, this sort of stuff boils my pee.

People repeating excuses they have heard to mask their thirsty crap driving.

I was happily minding my own business just focusing on the turn in for Casio with some one .5 behind, nothing race QT 2nd to an alien passing through tapped a guy with a red signal bar so let him through so P3 all race and then this.

And what boils my Pee quite frankly is "you moved under braking" i mean it's called turning when you are actually in front of the car behind you.

Annoying as ....words.

20s clip

He got a 3s pen and I finished 9th. No justice.

Edit: grrrr it's not even a move. Sigh.

Last edited:
He started to brake almost over the 100 mts marker. Easlily 30 mts late and aggravated by the fact of slipstream.
Then, he just tried to turn as if you have no right to existence :lol:.

So gross.

1722974079680.png

Whats more annoying for me at this kind of "incident" is the no-asumption of the offender.
In my case, if an apollogy comes after race I forget about it inmediately and always respond with a "no worries".

However, when they insist that its your fault when clearly not... few things more disgusting in this hobby.

Whats more annoying for me at this kind of "incident" is the no-asumption of the offender.
In my case, if an apollogy comes after race I forget about it inmediately and always respond with a "no worries"
Absolutely, we all get it wrong but the better I get the more my wrong only affects me. I very much am ok finishing badly as long as me clipping the grass doesn't hurt anyone else.

I think the initial late brake was deliberate as he just held the brake, no moving to avoid or overtake.

but the no sorry or shameful early exit... nope doubling down I some how rear ended myself in front of another car :/

5 people sent post game "messages" to him congratulating him on his amazing race craft....nah they called him lots of names and basically....an errr elbow.

Oh well, can't change it just annoying that this stuff happens when the goal is not to win every time but just place without incident.

I honestly don't know how you guys put up with Suzuka, lol. It took me 45 laps to finally get a lap time of 2'02.984. And I used the Huracan. The Porsche did not work for me this time, so I ditched it.

It's hard to tell what the meta car is, because there are a mixed variety of Gr. 3 cars selected from the top 100 drivers. Some parts of Suzuka are a pain in the butt.
I tried to do my first A race after patiently, and the Internet connection went offline. I was so mad and furious.

Having pounded laps and laps around Suzuka I have a couple of comments on the physics.

1. Smooth is key, coasting much more beneficial as a transition time to settle the car

2. Slides are easier to catch! Shock horror.

But the caveat with No2 is you have to be lightning fast and also very much either off the throttle or lifting even sometimes tapping the brakes to help the counter steer (dab of oppo)

Catching cars on the throttle is much harder because the weight and grip now move at separate time intervals so you can't feel as easily the suspension loading on the snap back. The cars before were visually flatter so you could guess the transition point easier.

3. Braking is "different" in that the weight transfer effects it wildly with the rear lifting and reducing the grip and with angle on makes it harder to brake as hard.

4. Trail braking is much more important but much harder to modulate. I think a lot of people will need to adjust from over braking and lifting off thinking that is what trail braking is. It's a hard adjustment for me as it was one of my go to strategies coupled with aggressive over downshifting letting the engine braking some of my ham fistedness

Overall I'm getting used to the way the cars handle more now but as a wheel user and really struggling with inconsistent feedback not just the weight (torque of the wheel) but the random oscillation, the over zealous now curb mechanics and how the car mass is communicated.

A lot of refinement is needed in both the physics and FFB implementation. Its like the 2 teams didn't talk to each other and the QA team were to afraid to speak up or didn't know which team needed to fix it.
Dude. That throttle catch lol.

So, yesterday i had a dumb and left my wheel set up on for the 300mm wheel, instead of my 330mm. The settings are close. Just ndp and int are different…and the ndp’s pretty close. However, using an int of 4vs 1, was the difference between my foot automatically kicking in and catching pretty much all the slides. To catching most of them, but definitely not all…not even close. And honestly they were almost a bit of a surprise sometimes. I was scratching my head all day. Things weren’t trash, but they weren’t right either. Only at the end when packing up did I realize. 🤦‍♂️ Crazy how 3 ticks of int were so dramatic.

I honestly don't know how you guys put up with Suzuka, lol. It took me 45 laps to finally get a lap time of 2'02.984. And I used the Huracan. The Porsche did not work for me this time, so I ditched it.

It's hard to tell what the meta car is, because there are a mixed variety of Gr. 3 cars selected from the top 100 drivers. Some parts of Suzuka are a pain in the butt.
I tried to do my first A race after patiently, and the Internet connection went offline. I was so mad and furious.
2:02 isn't a bad time for Suzuka, if I were at your level I would be happy with that. That's only a second or so off the times I was setting in cars like the DBR9.

I've spent a bit of time on race A this evening, here's my qualifying lap which is 10th for now (top in Europe 😱). I made a dogs ear of the big long left hander and bounced off the wall, maybe that is a genius wallriding tactic to go faster or maybe I just got away with it.

Edit: I went back to race C for one to finish up tonight and...

It's not fair making me drive 7 full laps when I'm laughing so hard that I can barely see 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Yeah, trying to get a sub 2'01.000 might be pushing it for me. I think my time is fine for now. Like Glen said, the more I coast through the corners, the lower my lap times will be. I also have to consider my surroundings and environment.

I may try to keep watching some replays and narrow my time down somewhere in the 2'01.000's.

I did more practice laps in the Huracan, for race B, to get my time down and boy did I with a 2:00.5XX. It was at 2:01.008 for a while which was taunting me.

My first race has me on pole! I do mess up the esses and fall to P3 on the opening lap. Then I get taken out at the Triangle which looked to be incidental but still annoying. I drop to P10. I make a great passes on the outside of the hairpin and Degner 2 to get back to P8 by the end of the race.

My second race has me in P3 this time. P2 spins in turn 1, and P1 was quick so I settle in to defend P2. Which was going great until P3 bumped me entering Degner 2 that caused me to run wide on exit and just catch the gravel. They then proceed to PIT maneuver me as I rejoin. I don't think it was intentional as I did rejoin right in front of them. But then again they could have tried to get out of the way as well. I eventually fall to P10 where I finish. So, I call it quits and I'll try again tomorrow.

I'm getting better at getting off the throttle when I feel the back end kick out the car. That's going to save me some headaches in the future. Hopefully I can have some luck on my side and get some good finishes.

I did more practice laps in the Huracan, for race B, to get my time down and boy did I with a 2:00.5XX. It was at 2:01.008 for a while which was taunting me.

My first race has me on pole! I do mess up the esses and fall to P3 on the opening lap. Then I get taken out at the Triangle which looked to be incidental but still annoying. I drop to P10. I make a great passes on the outside of the hairpin and Degner 2 to get back to P8 by the end of the race.

My second race has me in P3 this time. P2 spins in turn 1, and P1 was quick so I settle in to defend P2. Which was going great until P3 bumped me entering Degner 2 that caused me to run wide on exit and just catch the gravel. They then proceed to PIT maneuver me as I rejoin. I don't think it was intentional as I did rejoin right in front of them. But then again they could have tried to get out of the way as well. I eventually fall to P10 where I finish. So, I call it quits and I'll try again tomorrow.

I'm getting better at getting off the throttle when I feel the back end kick out the car. That's going to save me some headaches in the future. Hopefully I can have some luck on my side and get some good finishes.
I have been using the Huracan too, it got me a 2'02.984, but I was booking it and didn't make any errors. It was tough, it took me about 50 runs before scoring that lap! Degner is a bitch to pass at times, I mess up there 40-50% of the time when doing my qualifying laps.

Wheelmansteve officially likes 1.49. I am celebrating my second ever P1, at Suzuka. Thanks to everyone on that last grid! First win was also on 1.49, at Spa, so there is something working for me in this update. And hey, I'm enough of a motorsports nerd that wins at Spa and Suzuka are kind of special.

I’m not sure about Eiger Nordwand as a racing circuit. It’s good for time trial.

I just did two races, the first I started fourth and finished fourth, but there was quite a lot of position change in the middle of the race, with some chaos, but that’s how it worked out so that wasn’t too bad for my part as I managed to avoid it all and get CRB.

The second race I started in sixth place. It was a total chaos. I think I lost three spots at the first hairpin but somehow made them back during the first lap as others took themselves out. But then I was stuck behind fifth place. He was clearly slowing me up making seventh behind me all over my tail and we were like that for several laps.

I can’t figure out how to pass on this track, and in the end seventh pulled off and audacious move, bumping me to gain sixth and then at the hairpin after the start, he took out fifth who was holding us up. Ex-fifth then retaliates in the hairpin, trying to take him out but ghosts, loses it and rage quits.

I carry on in sixth but then hit the barrier at the bottom of the hill, then get hit by seventh behind, spin and end up in last place. I finish last car running.

Overtaking is a nightmare. Does anybody have any tips?

After that, I try Race B QT. I choose the M6 which I’m usually pretty good in. Compared to the RA272, the M6 feels like an absolute tank, no, a bus. I’m currently at a 2:02ish for Suzuka. This is going to take some practice.

Edit: first race, got a QT of 7th. Had worked my way up to 5th when I go wide at Spoon and lose a spot. I finish 6th, still a place gain but my average QT pace is going to start to hold me back now I'm in DR B. I'm really trying to avoid the chasing ghost solution to get faster QT. I'n not even chasing my ghost.. Talk about taking the difficult route!

Last edited:
I've spent a bit of time on race A this evening, here's my qualifying lap which is 10th for now (top in Europe 😱). I made a dogs ear of the big long left hander and bounced off the wall, maybe that is a genius wallriding tactic to go faster or maybe I just got away with it.

Edit: I went back to race C for one to finish up tonight and...

It's not fair making me drive 7 full laps when I'm laughing so hard that I can barely see 🤣🤣🤣

I'm surprised @Tidgney was so generous with allowing him the benefit of the doubt when he moved over on him in the middle of our Monday morning race. I'd only raced him once before, and that was enough to know he's the dirtiest A/A+ driver I've ever seen (other than you know who, obviously).

I’m not sure about Eiger Nordwand as a racing circuit. It’s good for time trial.

I just did two races, the first I started fourth and finished fourth, but there was quite a lot of position change in the middle of the race, with some chaos, but that’s how it worked out so that wasn’t too bad for my part as I managed to avoid it all and get CRB.

The second race I started in sixth place. It was a total chaos. I think I lost three spots at the first hairpin but somehow made them back during the first lap as others took themselves out. But then I was stuck behind fifth place. He was clearly slowing me up making seventh behind me all over my tail and we were like that for several laps.

I can’t figure out how to pass on this track, and in the end seventh pulled off and audacious move, bumping me to gain sixth and then at the hairpin after the start, he took out fifth who was holding us up. Ex-fifth then retaliates in the hairpin, trying to take him out but ghosts, loses it and rage quits.

I carry on in sixth but then hit the barrier at the bottom of the hill, then get hit by seventh behind, spin and end up in last place. I finish last car running.

Overtaking is a nightmare. Does anybody have any tips?

After that, I try Race B QT. I choose the M6 which I’m usually pretty good in. Compared to the RA272, the M6 feels like an absolute tank, no a bus. I’m currently at a 2:02ish for Suzuka. This is going to take some practice.
You just described every race I had at Eiger Nordwand today, at least these people are consistent.
I’ve been passing on the hairpins, I race hard on the approach but slow down early and hard and make very tight turns. For some reason, everyone seems to be carrying WAY too much speed for most of the corners.
On a humorous note, I had a guy pass me 4 times in one race and crash in the same apex EVERY time 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I'm surprised @Tidgney was so generous with allowing him the benefit of the doubt when he moved over on him in the middle of our Monday morning race. I'd only raced him once before, and that was enough to know he's the dirtiest A/A+ driver I've ever seen (other than you know who, obviously).
That didn't look like an accident to me, not the first time I've seen him do something wild to try and keep the lead. PD's driving standards guy saw this clip from last night so somebody might be getting a email from Sony shortly...

I agree, Eiger has been the best setting for any Race C occurrence. And the 7 laps go by quick. Now I just have to get motivated to do the Race A events. At least my DR wouldn't get impacted everytime, so it's a less-risk factor here. The RA-272 is a blast to drive though, we don't get many events with this famous old car. So I'm taking advantage of this moment.

Back