GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,232 comments
-Sees @GOTMAXPOWER do some epic passes, 360 no scopes, drive backwards down Mt. Panamera, and take such a hidden short cut at LeMans PD literally had to patch it.

-Thinks: That looks awesome, I want to do that!

-Fires up PS5 and GT-7

-Join Sport Mode lobby

-Race starts... Get punted L1 T1. Curses like a sailor.

-Turns off PS5 and goes and cries in a corner.

Did another C right after work. It was an odd one, I never actually did a proper lap.

-Lap 1, starting on RH. Clouds coming in, but stay out.
-Lap 2, make it but rain coming in so pit for IMs (radar was the lightest of green).
-Lap 4, pit for Ws as the track had gotten very wet with a blob of blue just over head.
-Lap 5, stay on Ws for lap 5 but pit at the end for IMs as the track was drying quick.

So:

Lap 1 - First lap, doesn't count
Lap 2 - In lap
Lap 3 - Out lap and in lap
Lap 4 - Out lap
Lap 5 - In lap
Lap 6 - Out lap

All of my laps were red on the right except lap one which doesn't count towards anything anyway.
I managed to do 5 pitstops in a race yesterday and ended up 8th out of 11 😄

I do think it's worth pitting for inters before the rain hits if it looks heavy/close then pitting again the lap after, there is a massive grip difference between a fresh set and a set which have done half a lap on a dry track.

take such a hidden short cut at LeMans PD literally had to patch it.
I'm still a little bitter about that one 😭 I swear it is slower than the normal track but it looked really bad because they all slowed down so much.

Yeah I play with chase cam, that's a straight gameplay recording not from the replay 👍
I don't know how you can "drive" this way. Total arcade move but you're certainly quick at it so who am I to comment. Has anyone ever drive this way in the world champs?

and take such a hidden short cut at LeMans PD literally had to patch it.
What shortcut was that?

Last edited:
I don't know how you can "drive" this way. Total arcade move but you're certainly quick at it so who am I to comment. Has anyone ever drive this way in the world champs?
BRacer (Who recently won in the world series) drives in chase cam, TsuTsu who's been there many times also plays in chase cam. You'd be surprised over the years how many have. There's also been drivers at finals using the gyro feature of the pad and the 1st year finals Akagi only used their right foot (For braking and accelerating).

BRacer (Who recently won in the world series) drives in chase cam, TsuTsu who's been there many times also plays in chase cam. You'd be surprised over the years how many have. There's also been drivers at finals using the gyro feature of the pad and the 1st year finals Akagi only used their right foot (For braking and accelerating).
I guess Fanatec doesn't want us to know that when they have there name over all their gear and rigs at the show. LOL.

-Sees @GOTMAXPOWER do some epic passes, 360 no scopes, drive backwards down Mt. Panamera, and take such a hidden short cut at LeMans PD literally had to patch it.

-Thinks: That looks awesome, I want to do that!

-Fires up PS5 and GT-7

-Join Sport Mode lobby

-Race starts... Get punted L1 T1. Curses like a sailor.

-Turns off PS5 and goes and cries in a corner.

Did another C right after work. It was an odd one, I never actually did a proper lap.

-Lap 1, starting on RH. Clouds coming in, but stay out.
-Lap 2, make it but rain coming in so pit for IMs (radar was the lightest of green).
-Lap 4, pit for Ws as the track had gotten very wet with a blob of blue just over head.
-Lap 5, stay on Ws for lap 5 but pit at the end for IMs as the track was drying quick.

So:

Lap 1 - First lap, doesn't count
Lap 2 - In lap
Lap 3 - Out lap and in lap
Lap 4 - Out lap
Lap 5 - In lap
Lap 6 - Out lap

All of my laps were red on the right except lap one which doesn't count towards anything anyway.
And I thought mine looked red!

Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 5.09.34 PM.png

Only the first lap was in the dry on RH but that one was obliterated by being punted off early, so never got a single "good" time.

On a side note I am curious as to what is considered fastest?
1) 1/2 lap dry on full wets with 1/2 lap with the rain gauge over the 2nd bar
or

2) 1/2 lap day on inters with 1/2 lap with the rain gauge over the 2nd bar

I would imagine that inters will be faster in the dry but slower in full wet conditions and vis-versa but by how much?

I remember that now. Classic!

This reminds me that you can cut Variente del Rettifilo at Monza if you go fast enough on certain races without a penalty. :lol:

I don't think I have taken that chicane once in the offline races, I make sure to wipe out all the polystyrene boards though 🤣

This falls into the "Take the shortcut at the Daytona RC chicane and not get punished enough by the penalty for it to punish the player properly" category.

And yet, people are punished for far less, and something out of their control...I wish PD did better.
PD patched my one out pretty quickly. The Daytona one is a real shame because the fix is worse than the original problem, now if you're racing on the oval and get pushed below the yellow line you know you only have so many seconds to get back on the track so people force their way in instead of taking their time and blending in neatly.

I ran a 3 lap custom race to practice in the rain for race C. Forgot to have it rain the entire time, but it did give me practice with a drying race track and a pit stop. So a happy accident.

But it doesn't matter in the end as I am terrible at the Nordschleife. 2 races and 2 disasters. I quit the second one as I was struggling and hitting stuff on the track I didn't know you could. Not fun at all. The best part was both races were dry! No way I can do that in the rain. I'll admit defeat and bow my head to the Green Hell.

So, what's the best car for Race B?

I ran a 3 lap custom race to practice in the rain for race C. Forgot to have it rain the entire time, but it did give me practice with a drying race track and a pit stop. So a happy accident.

But it doesn't matter in the end as I am terrible at the Nordschleife. 2 races and 2 disasters. I quit the second one as I was struggling and hitting stuff on the track I didn't know you could. Not fun at all. The best part was both races were dry! No way I can do that in the rain. I'll admit defeat and bow my head to the Green Hell.

So, what's the best car for Race B?
Lambo. But I was enjoying the Acura. But it just can't accelerate out of the corners like the AWD Lambo. Honestly, I thought the Gr4 NSX was AWD too as the road-going version is, but... it isn't.

Lambo. But I was enjoying the Acura. But it just can't accelerate out of the corners like the AWD Lambo. Honestly, I thought the Gr4 NSX was AWD too as the road-going version is, but... it isn't.
Cool, I know the Lambo very well. Thank you!

Wow, on my alt account I just started P4 and finished P4 at the 'Ring. Difference was that, after a very wet race, P4 was also last place! And P1 was the only car to cross the finish line before the time was up. Interesting race; 2 laps on RH and the rest on W.

I did two C races this evening. Quite a difference experience from last night.

First race I took the 911 out again. For whatever reason, while my set up was the same as the prior night, this one felt very sliding and tail happy. I had an off first lap (my fault) and then after that I was playing with the back markers. I did not get tire strategy right either. Got IMs end of lap 1, but the rain moved in slower than expected and never amounted to much. I could have stayed on RH for another lap. By end of lap 3, my IMs were spent and I was in last place and spinning out all over the place - I lost track on how many times I crashed. Finally, lap 4 looked like rain might finally hit so changed to full wets. Mid lap the track gauge was up to the 2 bar mark and I was finally able to catch up and make progress. Still it was a lonely drive. I finished in 7th (out of 9) and never made the finish line as I missed the cut off over 2 minutes and 41 seconds back from the leader. I'm not sure they ever pitted and their finishing time was well quick at 52 minutes. I am confused at this finish though. I had a time but P5 and P6 in front of me did not. How does that work?

1723616080302.png

The leader in the RC F was quick. How good is this car?

The second race I switched to the Alfa 4C. First lap was charging and I was holding my own and was finally clean but half was though I started to lose pace and noticed my tires were degrading fast. At that point I realized I'd started on IMs by accident (not sure how that happened as I didn't change them). I knew I was in trouble as it looked like rain might not hit to lap 3. While not heavy, light rain came mid lap 2. That helped preserve my IMs and I actually started to gain again after losing ground to those on RHs. I could tell that heavy rain was not that far away so got full wets at end of lap 2 and got fuel to last the end. It took a 1/2 lap to come but it took the bar over the 2 mark quickly went it did. Cars in front started to struggle and the rain preserved my tires so I was able to charge again. From starting in 5th and dropping back to mid to end of pack I climbed back up to finish 4th! This one had a more normal finishing board but still a lot did not make the cut off.
1723616320064.png

All races have returned positive DR points so far, particularly the 1st race (won) and last race. With these endurance races hanging in there and working to finish it, even when things have looked dire, have enabled my DR B progression.

I still have a lot of work to do to get back to a DR A capable driving standard though. Honestly I'm not sure I will get there in VR but I'm having a lot of fun, even if it is a slower pace. Truthfully, my prior mid A rating was above my driving abilities anyway.

Last edited:
How does that work?
I've seen something similar in the past, I wonder if everyone sees that time or just you, and did you have a unserved penalty when the race ended (I did), I'm wondering if this is a way PD are applying penalties to cars which don't finish so they can drop places that isn't displaying correctly.

I don't know how you can "drive" this way.
I drive in chase cam and it is brilliant for awareness during lap 1 turn 1 chaos. Additionally, I am able to to time my brakes perfectly and avoid incidents while following someone because I can always see what is going in front of them (Someone further ahead braked early? I can also brake early and avoid contact, or change lane and brake on time to overtake) (a crash just happened or is imminent, I know how to avoid it).
On a side note I am curious as to what is considered fastest?
1) 1/2 lap dry on full wets with 1/2 lap with the rain gauge over the 2nd bar
or

2) 1/2 lap day on inters with 1/2 lap with the rain gauge over the 2nd bar
I never did that but based on my experience this week so far, I would say that tire life is a massive factor. So the wets will be slower both on the dry patch and on the wet patch due to having worn out more.
I had a time but P5 and P6 in front of me did not. How does that work?
P5, P6, you, and everyone below you ran out of time. You are shown finishing time of only you. Others are shown as "running...". Weird PD logic. @GOTMAXPOWER does not know the answer because he has never been in this situation. :lol:
The second race I switched to the Alfa 4C. First lap was charging and I was holding my own and was finally clean but half was though I started to lose pace and noticed my tires were degrading fast. At that point I realized I'd started on IMs by accident
Brilliant recovery! Love to see those recovery drives at the green hell. Now that you have driven both the Porsche and the 4C, which one are you picking next time onward?

I had the luck of racing with @afc5150 yesterday. The radar looked like it will rain during lap 2 but I could not tell if would be the typical pattern where lap 2 gets wet in the latter half or it will be like what @icycls faced (drizzle but lap 2 is dry with a few wet corners, degrading IM tires a lot, then finally rains halfway lap 3 when your IMs are already almost dead). AFC and I opted to pit at end of lap 1. It turned out to be the latter one. We both made it to lap 3 without having an accident before pitting for fresh IMs again.

I was really enjoying staying on AFC's tail almost all the time until I got a yellow flag penalty because a driver in front of me got reset (likely due to cutting a corner) and I got ahead of him briefly as there was no yellow flag indicator. Turns out that it was still yellow flag condition. :mad:

Luckily I was able to catch back up with AFC later before falling down the positions after the faster guys finally caught up with us. AFC is brilliant under pressure from behind, while I easily give up and let them pass so that I don't buckle and crash. I really enjoyed seeing that I have gotten better at the green hell due to racing many times this week and now I can almost keep up with AFC.

This week is the best Daily Race C so far, beating the 20-lap Spa. Thank you PD!

I did 5 races of race C yesterday, due to the fact I won't get to play as much for the rest of the week. I started around 11am CET and finished at about 5pm. I set a decent TT of 7:53.948, which was good enough for pole, in 4 out of the 5 races I participated in. I managed 3 podiums including 1 win. My brain and body were absolutely cooked, so much so, that I couldn't even play for the rest of the day. 6 laps is one hell of a calorie burner, if you're using a wheel and rig. Even with the fan 2 feet away from me, I was still sweating. These are the kind of weeks I love.

Edit: I'm also using the Renault RS01. A great car for both dry and wet conditions. If you're looking for a good anti meta, you can't go wrong with this. My TT video is attached. Good luck fellas!

I just tried one lap with the Renault, 2.5s behind my Porsche lap time. For only one single attempt this is amazing. With some practice it will be the better choice. In the carousel and some fast turns the Renault is superior. I will try it in the next race, let's see.
@dazdilly75 Do you mind sharing your ghost? I added you on PS as well. Couldn't find any on the top 500 list.

Last edited:
Tough race but fun racing with @appu in daily C last night. Too bad we picked the wrong lap to pit for IMs. It's always a pleasure racing around folks you know you can trust. Although we were maybe a little too careful around each other and were kind of tripping over each other staying out of the other's way. "You first", "no, please go ahead", "please, I insist", "after you"... good times haha

Anyway 4 race C this week with a pair of 2nd place, a 3rd and a 4th.

Last edited:
P5, P6, you, and everyone below you ran out of time. You are shown finishing time of only you. Others are shown as "running...". Weird PD logic. @GOTMAXPOWER does not know the answer because he has never been in this situation. :lol:
I've never finished a race outside the time limit without a tonne of penalties, at that point they're freebies 😀

I've seen something similar in the past, I wonder if everyone sees that time or just you, and did you have a unserved penalty when the race ended (I did), I'm wondering if this is a way PD are applying penalties to cars which don't finish so they can drop places that isn't displaying correctly.
No penalty.
P5, P6, you, and everyone below you ran out of time. You are shown finishing time of only you. Others are shown as "running...". Weird PD logic.
This makes sense.
Brilliant recovery! Love to see those recovery drives at the green hell. Now that you have driven both the Porsche and the 4C, which one are you picking next time onward?
In the dry I canQT in the 911 faster but in race the 4C was the better drive but next time I’ll probably try something different, like the Lexus or Renault. Nice thing about being ranked lower than what I should probably be (once i reach my ability) is that it is allowing me to play with different cars rather than focusing on just getting good with one and staying with that.
typical pattern where lap 2 gets wet in the latter half or it will be like what @icycls faced (drizzle but lap 2 is dry with a few wet corners, degrading IM tires a lot, then finally rains halfway lap 3 when your IMs are already almost dead).
These have described the three races I’ve been in so far.

Last edited:
No penalty.

This makes sense.

In the dry I canQT in the 911 faster but in race the 4C was the better drive but next time I’ll probably try something different, like the Lexus or Renault. Nice thing about being ranked lower than what I should probably be (once i reach my ability) is that it is allowing me to play with different cars rather than focusing on just getting good with one and staying with that.

These have described the three races I’ve been in so far.
If you take the Renault and it stays dry, the non-stop is very difficult. I just failed doing that, ending up crawling over the finish line on P13 after celebrating already my great strategy which moved me up several positions. I had short shifted the whole race and also put up fuel consumption to 3 very often and still managed to fail... It was close though, means of course it is possible. Give the car a try, it feels great. I am sure the 4C is also fun

@dazdilly75 did you do a successful non-stop with the Renault?

If you take the Renault and it stays dry, the non-stop is very difficult. I just failed doing that, ending up crawling over the finish line on P13 after celebrating already my great strategy which moved me up several positions. I had short shifted the whole race and also put up fuel consumption to 3 very often and still managed to fail... It was close though, means of course it is possible. Give the car a try, it feels great. I am sure the 4C is also fun

I did say to you yesterday that even topping off with fuel at the end of lap 1 you still won't stretch it out unless you play with the fuel map. I did 4 dry races in it yesterday and pitted at the end of lap 3 in every 1 just so I could keep it at map 1 as the Renault struggles for top speed. I was getting destroyed on the straights but could easily catch anything in the twisty bits. The wet is where it really comes into its own 👍

Got one more weather pattern, a damp one-
1st lap - bone dry.
2nd lap - dry (wet marker under first bar) For some reason, I saw a few crashes ahead of me.
3rd lap - deep parts of the hell wet (halfway wet bar). Everything else bone dry. Aliens crawled on their RHs. Mortals spun. IMs needed.
4th lap - deep parts of the hell wet (just above halfway wet bar). Everything else bone dry. IMs needed.
5th lap - deep parts of the hell wet (halfway wet bar). Everything else bone dry. IMs needed.
6th lap - big fat dry line. Easy on RH even for mortals, but still be a bit careful.

So a total of 3 laps where IM was needed but IMs lasted only two laps. Even after doing this race, I have no idea what is the best strategy for it. I had started 3rd lap on RHs while patting myself on the back for choosing to stay out on 2nd and 3rd lap, only to indulge in a few donuts in deeper parts of the hell on 3rd lap. I swapped for RHs for 6th lap and had no problem, despite the fact that drying track is my biggest weakness.

Post-1.49 update, I love this change that I can feel on my controller how wet the track is. Without looking at the wet bar, I can tell whether it is under first wet marker or at halfway. This was useful in this race where only some parts of the track was wet.

Got one more weather pattern, a damp one-
1st lap - bone dry.
2nd lap - dry (wet marker under first bar) For some reason, I saw a few crashes ahead of me.
3rd lap - deep parts of the hell wet (halfway wet bar). Everything else bone dry. Aliens crawled on their RHs. Mortals spun. IMs needed.
4th lap - deep parts of the hell wet (just above halfway wet bar). Everything else bone dry. IMs needed.
5th lap - deep parts of the hell wet (halfway wet bar). Everything else bone dry. IMs needed.
6th lap - big fat dry line. Easy on RH even for mortals, but still be a bit careful.

So a total of 3 laps where IM was needed but IMs lasted only two laps. Even after doing this race, I have no idea what is the best strategy for it. I had started 3rd lap on RHs while patting myself on the back for choosing to stay out on 2nd and 3rd lap, only to indulge in a few donuts in deeper parts of the hell on 3rd lap. I swapped for RHs for 6th lap and had no problem, despite the fact that drying track is my biggest weakness.

Post-1.49 update, I love this change that I can feel on my controller how wet the track is. Without looking at the wet bar, I can tell whether it is under first wet marker or at halfway. This was useful in this race where only some I parts of the track was wet.
I had another one, probably the trickiest so far.
Radar showed light rain from lap 3 onwards throughout the remaining race, some guys including me pitted for IM. It was just drizzling and some spots wet, but RH was def ok. My IM died of course, after lap 4 I pitted again. So did the remaining field for IM since the rain increased a bit and some spots were pretty wet.
1st lap - dry
2nd lap - dry
3rd lap - drizzle
4th lap - drizzle
5th lap - partly dry, party slightly wet, partly more than 50% wet -> IM needed
5th lap - partly dry, party slightly wet, partly more than 50% wet

4 laps RH, then IM was the ideal strategy. Ended 9th, a pity since I was 4th after lap 2 and had good pace. Wrong decision then.

This is defintely the most challenging daily race ever. I wish we would have a grid of 24 drivers... That would make it perfect.

This is defintely the most challenging daily race ever. I wish we would have a grid of 24 drivers... That would make it perfect.
I agree but it is also more fun that I could have imagined, even with the times I have been driving by myself. If it was dry all the time I might not like it but with the weather and tire strategy you are always guessing as to what to do and if you get it wrong you can still hope that others have as well and that they have their own mishaps allowing you to catch up in the length of the race.

More cars would be nice though. However the DR change would be epic or catastrophic depending on if you are first or last! :ill:

Last edited:
I was really enjoying staying on AFC's tail almost all the time until I got a yellow flag penalty because a driver in front of me got reset (likely due to cutting a corner) and I got ahead of him briefly as there was no yellow flag indicator. Turns out that it was still yellow flag condition. :mad:
this happened to me; I would swear that I passed before the yellow banner, and of course the offending car is ghosted anyway, but no, 3 seconds for you....

At least they aren't tormenting us with endless wall or track penalties. Ask me how I know...

Sounds like you gave the no stop a great shot. I raced this morning, just before heading off to work and I actually had a dry run, which allowed me to give the no stop a try. The guy in P2 was an A+ BMW driver, we've had a few close battles this week, so I knew this was going to be a tough race. I started the race in fuel map 6 in the procession period before the lights go green. This is vital to keeping the consumption down for the rest of the lap. The temptation is to try and gap the car behind, but you really need to run your own race, as it will pay off later. I think the M6 driver passed me before the end of lap 1 and I just sat behind him, saving fuel. I was going into fuel map 2-3 on down hill sections and on The Dottinger. I was hitting sub 8 minite laps from lap 2 to 5. I was about 2 seconds behind the M6 by the end of lap 5 and I got scared, thinking he was also going for a no stop. Turns out he pitted at the end of lap 5, which meant I could relax and bring it home with no pressure. I finished the race in 48:06 and 0 fuel left. My 30th win and a great start to the day!

My replay is attached below, so you can see my short shifting as a reference.

Last edited:
Back