GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,332 comments
Hi everyone! As the Nordschleife is too much of a (time) commitment for me as a young dad, I stick to race B this week. Did 4 races yesterday. This is how they went:

Race 1: Full C / S lobby. Started 2nd but lost some positions. Saw several people in front of me fighting quite hard and even bumping each other deliberately (by the looks of it). Got passed by someone who completely missed the first corner at the bridge section, I stayed on the inside and he also cut back to the inside against me, causing him to spin. Because it looked like his fault I drove on. At the last lap I made a mistake, causing me to meet the same guy again. He had 4 seconds of penalty's and was clearly mad at me. He passed me again, but when I could pass him again he tried to make my life miserable. Even so I passed him just before the penalty line (so before he got ghosted), he tried to ram me off but missed. So I took some satisfaction that I overtook him on track. Finished 7th because of this overall wild ride.

Race 2: Mixed C / S and B / C lobby. Started 2nd and finished 3rd. Nice close racing. I was worried about the sportsmanship of the B / C drivers, but I finished ahead of three of them and never gave them a chance to wreck my race.

Race 3: Mixed C / S and B / C lobby. Started 2nd and had a great fight to the end with another C / S rated driver. He won and I was 0.4 seconds behind. Rest of the field was more than 3 seconds behind. We complimented eachother in the chat afterwards.

Race 4: Got promoted to B / S and now got a full B / S lobby. I saw the same guy who just won also in this race, so he just got promoted as well. I now started 6th. The driving was slightly more consistent from everyone. I finished 5th, again within a second of the winner of the previous race.

So a very nice feeling overall! Three clean races, only the first one a bit debatable.

So the Dailies this week have been very good, IMO. Well... B and C anyway. Never really been a race A person so ignoring that (and even if I was I'd be ignoring it anyway this week).

Love me some Nord but I almost have to say I wish it was shorter. I have found it difficult - for me anyway - to be able to do any of these this week. With the time required and the once an hour start, it's definitely a chunk of time required to do a race. Hard to carve out in a real life. Kinda wish it was four laps with starting every 30 mins, even if it overlaps a bit. Week is half over and I've only been able to do two of these.

Race B, I wish was next week. Why? Because it's a blast and I don't want to have to decide between B and C. This combo just works and it baffles me that it took PD so long to bring it up. The Gr4 cars are better now than they were pre-1.49.

Had a great race yesterday and the driver "Dox" (white/orange Lambo) is part of the reason. He was in the Lambo behind and just did a great job of keeping things clean, and making very wise racing decisions.

6f25a9486ecd0ef9c29063b9e67815b3_photo.webp

Started the race in P3 behind two Lambos and in front of another. After a couple of laps the two Lambos in front hit the wall. I had to take evasive maneuvers to avoid hitting them. Lambo in P1 spins, P2 is now P1 and I am P3 way on the inside.

5c8444b5874d91b24ff54f175b37683e_photo.webp

Dox was far enough back to avoid the chaos and was on the racing line. But rather than do anything crazy and try to go two wide with me in the fast left-handers coming up, he backed out of it so we could go line astern and attempt to push to catch the red Lambo now in P1. He also had a run going into T1 that be backed out of (or braked extra early) because it would've just been too risky. Smart racing decisions that you rarely see in the typical pass-at-all-costs mentality of many.

b72d267f85c5abe7968a5fc969656ae1_photo.webp

e54ebd3373050f00936037e2c11c03d0_photo.webp

And, it worked. He was able to keep up with me (hard to believe amirite?!) as we chipped away at P1's lead, and going onto the front straight of the last lap the pressure got to the red Lambo and he scraped the wall allowing myself and the orange/white Lambo to get passed. We finished 1, 2 and it was just a really fun race all around. Had he fought in the two areas he probably could have, P1 would've driven off and the pack behind would've have caught up with likely a much different race resulat - and more importantly - experience.

f5e19d24d676d76f0c5c210cd5ecd6df_photo.webp

I've been lucky that maybe 9 out of my 12 races at Nordschleife have had rain. Today's race again had a new pattern. Seeing others' posts here and my own experience, I guess there is no point really in memorizing all the patterns since PD has likely made a lot of patterns and/or randomized them well.

In case anyone is curious about the pattern I had:
1st lap- dry as usual.
2nd lap- The clouds hovered over us on the second lap but it was not wet enough. I pit at end of lap 2.
3rd lap- Mostly dry except for 2-3 corners which definitely needed IM tires. Mortals spun there. I got ahead of them easily on my half-depleted IMs.
4th lap- Equally good for IM and W.
5th lap- Equally good for IM and W even though a dry line was visibly forming. I pit for fresh IMs at end of lap 5.
6th lap- Same as 3rd lap. Mostly dry except for 2-3 corners which definitely needed IMs. My fresh IMs degraded so bad but saved me whenever I overshot braking and got on wetter patches of the track. And also saved me on those critical 2-3 corners. There was a guy who had pit at end of lap 3 for IMs and had chosen to stay out. He ended up spinning on easy corners due to depleted IMs.

I thought it was fascinating how much faster IMs depleted on a drying track during 6th lap vs 2nd lap which was mostly dry except for 2-3 wet corners. I guess weather/track temperature made the difference. And thus adds to unpredictability due to not having temperature forecast.

It would also be nice to have time gaps to more than one person behind me, as I wanted to see whether I have a safe pit window.

It would also be nice to have time gaps to more than one person behind me, as I wanted to see whether I have a safe pit window.
Finny you mention that... I had an idea about pit deltas many moons ago (quoting myself below). I'd still love to see something like this but I'd just as soon see pigs fly.

I have an idea for something that would be super cool if it was added to the game. Wasn't sure where to put this but because Nations/Manu races often involve some sort of strategy, here it goes. Something to show the pit delta on the mini map. Stick with me here...

So we all know the mini map in the upper right shows the track, your car in red, and opponent cars in blue. Personally I find this mini map to be virtually useless. BUT, it would be awesome if they could add a visual on the mini map as to where you'd come out once you pit. It could get a little convoluted as there are multiple options while pitting, but I think it could work.

So, in addition to the red and blue triangles representing cars, they could make lines in different colors that represent pit deltas/losses. Even if the strat is very straight forward, the game doesn't know what the user is going to do. So, something like this:

Green line for a stop and go
Orange line for tires only
Purple line for fuel only (let's assume fueling to the 'diamond' as a constant)
Yellow line for tires and fuel

So the lines would follow your car around the track, at the appropriate deltas. Ie, the green line would be 20 seconds behind, the orange line would be 25 seconds behind, etc.

There are so many times I've thought about changing up strats on the fly (maybe being held up by someone, maybe try and undercut, maybe tires are dying quick, maybe damage, etc.) and pitting at a different lap than originally planned and it'd really nice to know where I'd pop out of the pits. Doesn't do much good to try and undercut if you just end up in traffic! Obviously real teams know this information but since we're doing this all on our own, it would be super cool.

It'll never happen, but it'd be a lot cooler if it did.

It'll never happen, but it'd be a lot cooler if it did.
You're right, it'll never happen. There is about as much chance as them adding the positions and splits to the HUD for us VR users... For me, it does not even need to be live splits, just update them as a car crosses a sector marker. That would be enough - and more realistic anyway.

Hung in there for two races in the rain. First one was great- ran the RC-F, P2 grid, hung in the top 5, 2 laps on SH's, 2 laps on IM's while it rained a bit, 2 laps on SH's for a P2 finish. Next race was a disaster- R8 Evo, stayed on SH's for lap 2 with rain on the radar, bad call, race basically over as heavy rain hit just past Arenberg. Slithered around, pitted for HW's, ran three solid laps in last place, which changed from P10 to P7 as folks dropped. Made another terrible tire call on L5, going back to SH's on a not-drying-fast-enough track, stayed dead last, BUT got "blue" on my DR. Maybe worth noting that pre-1.49/1.50 I would not even have bothered with a rain event, so something is working. I'd like to put in a "YES" vote for longer dailies. (Can I vote twice?)

Damn! But also Yey! But also Damn! 😖 😂

Just finished playing around with a set of new wheel parameters and the car felt great! But I still need to get used to T1 with the new reaction of the car when going over "that" bump.... On average, I usually have a Sector 1 time of very low 22:5's but on the first 2 laps of testing, I only managed high 22:7 and 22:8.. But made some major gains in Sectors 2 and 3 as the average was 28:850 and 22:555.

I now broke into the 1:11's but if I only matched my previous lap's Sector 1 time (even though it was a crappy .7), I would have gone into the low 11:8's and if I matched my average of 22:5, would have been a 1:11:6... 🧐🤨 Still happy though, at least I know I have time to gain 😊

View attachment 1380951 View attachment 1380952

View attachment 1380953
My simple solution is... Not going over the bump at all. In FR cars I'm a low 21 and with the g70 a mid 20secs in this sector

Have been struggling with motion sickness with the PSVR so i got travel sickness tablets today and tried them out to see would they help at all. Im glad to report that i managed nearly 1 hour trouble free....if only my driving reflected that i would be grand 😅😅 anyway, its a thing that will get better as i get more accustomed to it. I wont give up yet. This video is nothing special, in fact its ****e but it does highlight the very different experience that VR provides. I am pretty confident that I can get down to around 8 minutes by the end of the week hopefully. I wore my wrist brace which wasn't helping either 🙈. Anyway, 19 minutes on was my best lap but I still binned it 😅😅😅 I have driving line and brake markers on purely because I am getting used to the vr and driving left hand drive 🙈🙈

Edit: not sure is there sound yet, I think it's still uploading properly. I will do my best to do a proper lap tomorrow when I have 2 good hands and a bit more cop on about driving on the left hand side of the car 🤣🤣

I get motion sickness also. I set up the cockpit in front of my 100” projection screen but it was way too immersive, lots of motion sickness. I had to revert to a small monitor stand.
I still don’t have the Le Mans track because there is an off-road challenge that I can’t complete because it makes me nauseous.
The pills work but I can’t take pills every time I want to race and they give me a little hangover.
Pretty sure I couldn’t do the VR

I get motion sickness also. I set up the cockpit in front of my 100” projection screen but it was way too immersive, lots of motion sickness. I had to revert to a small monitor stand.
I still don’t have the Le Mans track because there is an off-road challenge that I can’t complete because it makes me nauseous.
The pills work but I can’t take pills every time I want to race and they give me a little hangover.
Pretty sure I couldn’t do the VR
I was talking to someone who has far more experience with vr than me and he said he was exactly the same, very sick. It was his suggestion to use the tablets for a week or so, going from 2 to 1. Eventually he said that your brain just adapts to it. I got incredibly sick last week after just 3 laps of the Rally race A, I actually had to go and sit outside for nearly an hour in the fresh air before I could go back racing in normal mode.... I must be a big wimp 🤣🤣🤣🤣

After coming close several times, I finally squeezed in a sub 8 minute lap in the Ferrari on Race C (by 0.4 seconds 😂 )

The top Ferrari guy is 12 seconds faster! I can see where I'd gain 2 maybe 3 seconds - but 12...:confused:

I then went and did a few laps around Road Atlanta in the Mystery Machine. It's a mystery where I can find another 3 seconds there too...

The pills did the trick, its only me getting used to it but after spending 300e on the set i wasn't going to leave it idle. Its purely getting your brain used to it, i tried again this evening after a pint or 2 on a free run and got down to an 8:03. I might chance the 911 tomorrow but i have kind of lost faith in it since the update. Will go again tomorrow with no Guinness and see what happens 🤣
I quit guiness along with proper imperial stout when I retired, because weed. and have discovered that a sativa on a new track is a bad recipe, while a pure indica on a very familiar track is smoooothly quick

I've tried and tried and tried but this is the best I can do with the NSX this week, in race it's fine but hitting a QT lap is hard with the top NSX ghost someone that I can catch and pass at T3 but putting them any further ahead makes my laps scrappy. 😔

IMG_0999.jpeg

I tried Race C without qualifying, as I didn't want to get in anyone's way. First race yesterday I started 14th, guy on pole who was 7 seconds quicker than P2 decided to drop to the back at the start. He then spent half a lap with me getting in his way, before finally getting past!

Another driver spun out and ended up behind me - caught me up quickly and, despite me giving him lots of room, just pushed me off track.....

There was a pale blue patch over the circuit, but no rain, and I was surprised when most of the people in front of me stopped for IMs (one guy put on full wets!). After recovering from being rammed off, I still ended up behind them all, and didn't manage to catch up with anyone, before they all stopped again to get rid of the wet weather tyres.

By this time, some had already quit.

I was aiming to no-stop (in the 911), and ended up P7 of 7 come the end of lap 5, when P6 decided to stop for fuel. I ran to the end comfortably in front of him, and finished P6 - DR up, without having to overtake a single car (in fact, after lap 1 didn't actually see another car)!

Tried again today, started in 16th place. Dry race all the way to the end, and only 2 cars pitted - seems like no stopping is now a popular strategy! I finished P10 of 10.

I need to see some rain.....

I tried Race C without qualifying, as I didn't want to get in anyone's way. First race yesterday I started 14th, guy on pole who was 7 seconds quicker than P2 decided to drop to the back at the start. He then spent half a lap with me getting in his way, before finally getting past!

Another driver spun out and ended up behind me - caught me up quickly and, despite me giving him lots of room, just pushed me off track.....

There was a pale blue patch over the circuit, but no rain, and I was surprised when most of the people in front of me stopped for IMs (one guy put on full wets!). After recovering from being rammed off, I still ended up behind them all, and didn't manage to catch up with anyone, before they all stopped again to get rid of the wet weather tyres.

By this time, some had already quit.

I was aiming to no-stop (in the 911), and ended up P7 of 7 come the end of lap 5, when P6 decided to stop for fuel. I ran to the end comfortably in front of him, and finished P6 - DR up, without having to overtake a single car (in fact, after lap 1 didn't actually see another car)!

Tried again today, started in 16th place. Dry race all the way to the end, and only 2 cars pitted - seems like no stopping is now a popular strategy! I finished P10 of 10.

I need to see some rain.....
My attempts today were heavy overcast, not a drop. I put the brake 2 clicks back, bump the fuel up to 4, occ 1 on straights, and just get the no stopper done. Wrecking missing turnins aside, it was an ok run

Could do with some of that offline too - haven't had rain for weeks here, the garden is bone dry!
What garden? Are you talking about at Green Hell? We better enjoy BMB because it will be gone after Monday.
You know this whole "actually reading the posts you're responding to" thing I've been talking to you about?
Could do with some of that offline too - haven't had rain for weeks here, the garden is bone dry!
His garden. At his house. In the real world. Where it hasn't rained for weeks.

Is it me or is race B very crashy this week?

Edit: an example.

I have avoided it, but I would surmise the very, very niche crowds in the A and C are driving every tom dick, and harry to you. All trying to mimic the latest clown in that wrestling/racing on the roundy rounds

You know this whole "actually reading the posts you're responding to" thing I've been talking to you about?

His garden. At his house. In the real world. Where it hasn't rained for weeks.
I guess I need to wake up and pay attention, I'd like to delete that post, but it won't let me.

Finally happy with a lap time for Blue Moon - even though I slightly mucked up Sector 1 & 2 as would have been a 1:11:7 😖 But at least I am now quite consistent - except the times I do something extreme to try and find more time 😂 Will have to do with a 1:11:901

1723760058984.jpeg
1723760067580.jpeg

1723760077235.jpeg

Just did a race with @afc5150 and @Astro_BS-AS. I am proud of having landed 2nd on this track for first time and of the fact that I managed to beat AFC at a track where he excels at, a good testament to how much I have improved at this track thanks to this week's Daily Race C's. :D

Granted I beat AFC only because he had a rare spin but that is part of the race. That lap felt weird. It had just rained and the GP part felt very oily, even off the racing line. I was worried that I was too slow until I saw everyone ahead of me spin (even on IMs). I enjoyed being in the lead for a long time only to be constantly terrified by a guy just behind me with atrocious connection. He would repeatedly appear to have pulled alongside me, rammed me, or crashed ahead of me on his own, etc only for me to discover that nothing happened. I did suffer damaged rear bumper twice though, meaning some of the hits may have been real. I was distracted for over a lap and constantly terrified for crashing. I was relieved when he finally got overtaken by someone, slowly falling down the ranks until he quit the race.

I was eventually overtaken by a fast AMG with ease. Bringing it home in second makes me wonder if I should stop at a high point, keep the fond memories of the 6-lap Nordschleife and move on to practice for the first round of Nations since the idea of strategy due to 32-lap race + two different tire compounds requirements seems lucrative.

j3yd1KZ.jpeg

Featured here: My green Porsche, AFC's red Supra, Astro's purple Supra behind the blue Porsche.

Latest Posts

Back