GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,331 comments
Damn! But also Yey! But also Damn! 😖 😂

Just finished playing around with a set of new wheel parameters and the car felt great! But I still need to get used to T1 with the new reaction of the car when going over "that" bump.... On average, I usually have a Sector 1 time of very low 22:5's but on the first 2 laps of testing, I only managed high 22:7 and 22:8.. But made some major gains in Sectors 2 and 3 as the average was 28:850 and 22:555.

I now broke into the 1:11's but if I only matched my previous lap's Sector 1 time (even though it was a crappy .7), I would have gone into the low 11:8's and if I matched my average of 22:5, would have been a 1:11:6... 🧐🤨 Still happy though, at least I know I have time to gain 😊

1723652140117.jpeg
1723652146751.jpeg

1723652160041.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t know the Nurburgring at all but I dove in head first yesterday to try and learn it. I’m not sure that I will become proficient in this lifetime.

Last night at midnight I entered a race (DR-B), I figured I could practice from last place as easily as I could in a boring qualifying lap. I ended up finishing 9th with a small increase in DR, solely due to attrition.

The course and car selection is a lot of fun, but it’s definitely going to be more of a project than a competitive race week.

I don’t know the Nurburgring at all but I dove in head first yesterday to try and learn it. I’m not sure that I will become proficient in this lifetime.

Last night at midnight I entered a race (DR-B), I figured I could practice from last place as easily as I could in a boring qualifying lap. I ended up finishing 9th with a small increase in DR, solely due to attrition.

The course and car selection is a lot of fun, but it’s definitely going to be more of a project than a competitive race week.
Oh yes, the nord is a commitment and it won't come overnight. But it is so, so rewarding and a blast when you have the corners in memory and can start pushing there.

While I was learning it, I would, like a lot of rookies, hit restart whenever things went bad. Then I had half the track memorized and found there is a whole 'nother world to learn beyond the carousel :)

give the circuit experience a go when you are tired of online racing, or sometimes I just take a favorite road car around there, just because.

I thinking about this at work today, this week is a funny one.

Samba buses that you don't need to brake in....a one make B with the illusion of choice....and then C as a massive ramp up in time commitment, staying power and then pseudo random weather.

Just weird all round. Everyone's mileage varies with these things and there is fun/carnage to be had in all of the races but just doesn't feel like a cohesive set this week with such very different race feels and setups (not car set ups)

Edit:

For B I also understand now why they haven't used it till now. While it's a nice short track overtaking really sensibly happens at the hairpin and out dragging people. It makes the race feel like a nerve wracking lunge fest.

A fun track to lap but for racing it would probably suit slower/cars rather than Gr4 one make that it quickly became

Last edited:
Oh yes, the nord is a commitment and it won't come overnight. But it is so, so rewarding and a blast when you have the corners in memory and can start pushing there.

While I was learning it, I would, like a lot of rookies, hit restart whenever things went bad. Then I had half the track memorized and found there is a whole 'nother world to learn beyond the carousel :)

give the circuit experience a go when you are tired of online racing, or sometimes I just take a favorite road car around there, just because.
Good advice.
I think I’m labeling this week as a throw-away week and I’m going to switch up cars to the ‘65 Honda RA272 on the Nord for the rest of the week. At this point I have enough issues just competing with myself.

I thought it was pretty humorous, last night, that cars were getting overly aggressive on lap 1 of a :50 minute race. These cars all ended up as DNF.

Last edited:
** UPDATE **

Did my first race of the week and as he would say:

1723656306940.png

Started in P10 and from the pre-race lobby chat, I knew I needed to keep an eye on others.... Some questionable driving and decisions from others + using 110% of my online driving experience, I managed to deal with the things sent my way! 🥳 I honestly am very happy with what I did in those six laps as it truly was an occasion of maximum effort from my end!

Long story short: P10 to P11 to P5 finish 😁🥳😎

1723656321180.jpeg
1723656329556.jpeg

1723656340372.jpeg

Last edited:
** UPDATE **

Did my first race of the week and as he would say:

View attachment 1380974

Started in P10 and from the pre-race lobby chat, I knew I needed to keep an eye on others.... Some questionable driving and decisions from others + using 110% of my online driving experience, I managed to deal with the things sent my way! 🥳 I honestly am very happy with what I did in those six laps as it truly was an occasion of maximum effort from my end!

Long story short: P10 to P11 to P5 finish 😁🥳😎

View attachment 1380975 View attachment 1380976

View attachment 1380977

What a time to be alive when Gr4 should be known as group (name the weekly meta)

The irony is I've been actually racing this week and those QTs are not really showing in the race....one thing to hit a good lap in 10 it's another to race at that pace for 6 in a row....but what would I know 😉

On a side note I am curious as to what is considered fastest?
1) 1/2 lap dry on full wets with 1/2 lap with the rain gauge over the 2nd bar
or

2) 1/2 lap day on inters with 1/2 lap with the rain gauge over the 2nd bar
I never did that but based on my experience this week so far, I would say that tire life is a massive factor. So the wets will be slower both on the dry patch and on the wet patch due to having worn out more.
Sorry, I take back my answer. I don't know the answer. I just tried the 1st one (1/2 dry lap on wets then rest of the race with rain at 2/3 wet bar) after always trying only 2nd one (inters because of having 1/2 dry lap).

Drivers at my level (me included) aren't consistent enough to get an answer. But I felt that overall, the worn wets were faster than worn IMs (maybe even faster than fresh IMs) when the wet bar was at 2/3 throughout. I would fall back on GP part and the straights before regaining on the hell part over fresh IM runners. Overall, I gained more than I lost.

In summary, I don't have confidence to give an answer.

I just saw that I now have 884 hours in this game! This officially makes it my most played game, beating DotA2 at 749 hours (last played Aug 12, 2014! Almost exactly 10-year anniversary). I had initially bought the game only to run at the Nordschleife as it was the only track I had not raced at in my gaming history. I ended up loving the dynamic weather and the day-night at the offline Spa money grinder race. Then I stayed for the Sport part.

Playing 6-lap at Nordschleife with dynamic weather is a fitting time to realize that GT7 is now my most played game. Fingers crossed that PD gets more adventurous and brings day-night cycle just like the offline Spa money grinder race.

Last edited:
Drivers at my level (me included) aren't consistent enough to get an answer. But I felt that overall, the worn wets were faster than worn IMs (maybe even faster than fresh IMs) when the wet bar was at 2/3 throughout. I would fall back on GP part and the straights before regaining on the hell part over fresh IM runners. Overall, I gained more than I lost.
Yeah, I can't decide. When I ran my first race I did the 1 lap on RH and then 2 laps on IMs and 3 laps on W and won. But my overall time was not impressive and rain was only really heavy laps 3 and 4 but the track never really started to dry until lap 6. Putting on the W at end of lap 3 I think gave me an advantage over others that came in end of lap 2 for W after struggling lap 2 with RH in decent rain for 1/2 lap. My W were fresher at the end and I was able to charge harder even though i pitted twice.

The other races I've only pitted once and the results were mixed indeed. Given that the back half of the track tends to be wetter than the GP side I think I have done better being on W over IM as long as the moisture meter gets to the second bar as it is slow to dry off once the rain stops.

So Blue Moon has been very good for my DR so far this week. I've gotten it up to 70% of B thanks mainly to finding the NSX, thanks to Sturk, I find it much more stable than the Lambo and thus I've been much more consistent in it.

Would love to run C but the time requirement for it is pretty huge. Just posting a good QT seems like it would take forever. I might focus on it later in the week. I ran one QT lap in the 911 at about 80% just to get a time idea and it was 8.38. lol.

I would love tho for someone to do some type of scientific study on what makes players do the following, which I see all the time.

example - I start a race and notice pretty quickly the guy in front of me is a bit erratic, maybe he's nervous, maybe he has a bad connection or maybe he's just pushing too hard, IDK. But he's making several small mistakes over the course of a lap or so. It's allowing me to get right up on him, but now I'm a bit concerned that I'm gonna get hit while passing him. But I gotta go and go fast.

So I get around him and pull out to a few car lengths lead and then I notice in the rear view, magically, he's developed laser focus. He's all over me in a quarter or half lap while making zero mistakes and sure enough he passes me, moves out to a few car lengths lead and then starts the mistakes again. And the process repeats. Grrrr........

Would love to run C but the time requirement for it is pretty huge. Just posting a good QT seems like it would take forever. I might focus on it later in the week. I ran one QT lap in the 911 at about 80% just to get a time idea and it was 8.38. lol.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about grid placement in this race. Maybe those in top split A+ lobbies care, but for most of us, there is far too much chaos and variable skill level spread over 50ish minutes to worry about starting lower on the grid.

I thinking about this at work today, this week is a funny one.

Samba buses that you don't need to brake in....a one make B with the illusion of choice....and then C as a massive ramp up in time commitment, staying power and then pseudo random weather.

Just weird all round. Everyone's mileage varies with these things and there is fun/carnage to be had in all of the races but just doesn't feel like a cohesive set this week with such very different race feels and setups (not car set ups)

Edit:

For B I also understand now why they haven't used it till now. While it's a nice short track overtaking really sensibly happens at the hairpin and out dragging people. It makes the race feel like a nerve wracking lunge fest.

A fun track to lap but for racing it would probably suit slower/cars rather than Gr4 one make that it quickly became

I tried it now 7 times, it is definitely not just pseudo weather! Every single race was different, getting the best strategy was not always easy. I also had a race when it got wet lap 2 onwards and later getting dry again. Best strategy was risking RH after lap 4, I didn’t dare to do it and stayed on IM which completely died and lost me the whole race. Pitted after lap 5 for RH, which was too late. There isn’t any pattern like in the Spa race we had once.

Of course one thing you said earlier is true, the track is too long, if you get strategy wrong you are fighting with even less drivers who also got it wrong. A 50min race on a shorter track with dynamic weather would be more forgiving.

Mebbe its a love of pain, but I've relished Spa and RBR in pouring rain. I think its poorly done this week though, BIG TIME.

My objective reasons.

1. All week, after an hour of white knuckle rain racing, my reward will be nuthin but a sudden black screen.

the strategy aspect is relatively mute when the majority of the field has quit, because of the 10 minute lap times

6 laps at 9;30 won't finish

so, its just not fun, in that the effort to reward is just so skewed from normal.

tho looking at the A race, normal, and fun, not really on offer

Have been struggling with motion sickness with the PSVR so i got travel sickness tablets today and tried them out to see would they help at all. Im glad to report that i managed nearly 1 hour trouble free....if only my driving reflected that i would be grand 😅😅 anyway, its a thing that will get better as i get more accustomed to it. I wont give up yet. This video is nothing special, in fact its ****e but it does highlight the very different experience that VR provides. I am pretty confident that I can get down to around 8 minutes by the end of the week hopefully. I wore my wrist brace which wasn't helping either 🙈. Anyway, 19 minutes on was my best lap but I still binned it 😅😅😅 I have driving line and brake markers on purely because I am getting used to the vr and driving left hand drive 🙈🙈

Edit: not sure is there sound yet, I think it's still uploading properly. I will do my best to do a proper lap tomorrow when I have 2 good hands and a bit more cop on about driving on the left hand side of the car 🤣🤣

Last edited:
I tried it now 7 times, it is definitely not just pseudo weather! Every single race was different, getting the best strategy was not always easy. I also had a race when it got wet lap 2 onwards and later getting dry again. Best strategy was risking RH after lap 4, I didn’t dare to do it and stayed on IM which completely died and lost me the whole race. Pitted after lap 5 for RH, which was too late. There isn’t any pattern like in the Spa race we had once.

Of course one thing you said earlier is true, the track is too long, if you get strategy wrong you are fighting with even less drivers who also got it wrong. A 50min race on a shorter track with dynamic weather would be more forgiving.
I couldn't imagine getting stuck at Nurburgring with RH in the wet. I got stuck at Spa with the wrong tires in a gully-washer and couldn't get back to the pits and thats only 1/4 ish the length of Nordscheife.

Are you changing tires more than once? decisions based on weather radar?

My only race was last night and it was dry and my most valuable tool was a map.
IMG_0435.jpeg

Last edited:

Correct me if I am wrong but is this not what we actually want?? I gave out about having 4 dry races but I guess it was just a good day, one thing we cannot predict is the weather, I think they should leave races like this as an option, I.e a race D. I personally enjoy races like this rather than trying to be running around blue moon in identical cars like bloody lemmings....????

I couldn't imagine getting stuck at Nurburgring with RH in the wet. I got stuck at Spa with the wrong tires in a gully-washer and couldn't get back to the pits and thats only 1/4 ish the length of Nordscheife.

Are you changing tires more than once? decisions based on weather radar?

My only race was last night and it was dry.
I missed the group in front boxing, and did a lap on RH in the rain, 13:46.
Yea weather radar, 1rst lap is dry. inters are not working for me, full wets if I try again. hnestly, if it rains, I'll quit. its just not like rain at a normal track. 3 laps on wets for a B race would be ok, but this format has to many not fun scenarios

Correct me if I am wrong but is this not what we actually want?? I gave out about having 4 dry races but I guess it was just a good day, one thing we cannot predict is the weather, I think they should leave races like this as an option, I.e a race D. I personally enjoy races like this rather than trying to be running around blue moon in identical cars like bloody lemmings....????
Well, I believe the choices are not really bad or gawdawful. its a bit more nuanced. If its fun, do it if not, less so, yea?
take this A race, I think driving a superspeedway in vw's on CH is moronic, but thats subjective. Some may find it a challenge to sit and enjoy feeling like youve been poisoned for 15 min

Have been struggling with motion sickness with the PSVR so i got travel sickness tablets today and tried them out to see would they help at all. Im glad to report that i managed nearly 1 hour trouble free....if only my driving reflected that i would be grand 😅😅 anyway, its a thing that will get better as i get more accustomed to it. I wont give up yet. This video is nothing special, in fact its ****e but it does highlight the very different experience that VR provides. I am pretty confident that I can get down to around 8 minutes by the end of the week hopefully. I wore my wrist brace which wasn't helping either 🙈. Anyway, 19 minutes on was my best lap but I still binned it 😅😅😅 I have driving line and brake markers on purely because I am getting used to the vr and driving left hand drive 🙈🙈

Edit: not sure is there sound yet, I think it's still uploading properly. I will do my best to do a proper lap tomorrow when I have 2 good hands and a bit more cop on about driving on the left hand side of the car 🤣🤣

Thanks for that, I also have the $600 paper weight.

I saw a vid where a dude listed half a dozen hacks on this topic, I took home the running the goggle as dim as possible, and run a box fan at your face. the last is an old RT trick for COPD relief, skin cells send good vibes to the brain

Well, I believe the choices are not really bad or gawdawful. its a bit more nuanced. If its fun, do it if not, less so, yea?
take this A race, I think driving a superspeedway in vw's on CH is moronic, but thats subjective. Some may find it a challenge to sit and enjoy feeling like youve been poisoned for 15 min
Totally agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I love good racing, Watkins Glen a couple of weeks ago was a perfect example of how normal people could compete with others normally out of our reach. Set 4 races with 4 different experiences, including in that a specific tuning race and an endurance BoP race with dynamic weather and see how it goes. I love racing at the Nur purely because it gives you some chance to make up time and places as it's unpredictable, that is real racing. Anyway, probably just me ranting as this bloody baby is still not appearing yet 🤣🤣

Thanks for that, I also have the $600 paper weight.

I saw a vid where a dude listed half a dozen hacks on this topic, I took home the running the goggle as dim as possible, and run a box fan at your face. the last is an old RT trick for COPD relief, skin cells send good vibes to the brain
The pills did the trick, its only me getting used to it but after spending 300e on the set i wasn't going to leave it idle. Its purely getting your brain used to it, i tried again this evening after a pint or 2 on a free run and got down to an 8:03. I might chance the 911 tomorrow but i have kind of lost faith in it since the update. Will go again tomorrow with no Guinness and see what happens 🤣

I am pretty confident that I can get down to around 8 minutes by the end of the week hopefully
You should be able to do it. I had a quick spin in the M6 today and got my time down to 8:02.

Now, I hear the M6 is not so good in the wet, so I’m not sure if this is the car for the race but it is awesome for QT.

Last edited:
2 more C races tonight, both completely dry.

Race 1 was horrible, started Q9 (my 8:03 isn't holding up) and snagged a 4 second contact penalty on lap 1 in a big train wreck. Served that and was near the back. Many mistakes later and woefully trying to save fuel for a no stopper and I was firmly at the back. Pit after 5 laps because I wasn't going to make it, but due to people quitting I ended up in P7 of 8 finishers and I actually finished with a slight DR gain.

Race 2 went much better as I wasn't messing around with fuel saving this time. Ran 6 error free laps going from Q5 to P2 catching and passing a no stopper on the last lap. P1 finished over 40 seconds up the road doing a 1 stop! How?!

6 races in this week: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 2nd. And pretty set in DR-A now.

Last edited:
the strategy aspect is relatively mute when the majority of the field has quit, because of the 10 minute lap times

6 laps at 9;30 won't finish
It's because of the lack of determination in those racers is why my DR is climbing, I start in back and after all the wannabes quit I find myself 6-7 places up and my DR goes up.

What a difference when you get your tire strategy right! Only did the one race but it was my best result yet and a commanding win.

Started on pole after getting a new QT of 8:02. I said I wasn't going to do this but I chased a ghost... That actually showed me some better lines that I now use in race so it was educational. I doubled checked my Alfa 4C this time and started on RH. The radar made me think the rain would hit sometime lap 2 but be light.

First lap, I'm not sure what happened to P2 but I left him behind and had an untroubled first lap. Rain still was some miles away at the end of the lap and still light blue so I stayed on RHs. By Defense Valley (back half of the track) it started raining and I dialed up the TCS to 3. P2 had also caught up with me by this stage. He would fall back then catch up, rinse and repeat. On the long straight he passed me so I was down to P2. He was in a NSX GT500 - that thing is quick!

The rain gauge was creeping up to the first bar and I figured it would get worst in the back half of the course so I pitted and got inters. To my surprise P1 stayed out as did P3 and 4 and I fell back to P4 as I exited the pits. I accidentally cross the line and got a 3s penalty. Idiot.

As soon as I reentered the Nord, the rain gauge jumped over the first bar. Inter territory so I new I'd made the right choice and figured I'd catch the others. In VR I have no indication on what the splits are or where cars are. I was driving blind, so it was all hope that I was actually catching them. I caught P3 at the Foxhole and passed P1 to take the lead in Little Valley. He'd crashed and the rain gauge was now near the second bar. After that I sped off knowing they had no hope to keep up on Hards with this much moisture.

I never saw another car. My laps were about as perfect as I could be. I was constantly worried that perhaps I was driving too slow and P2 would suddenly catch me up. Again I had no idea knowing how I stood in comparison to others. I really wish PD would put splits in the HUD (perhaps they consider VR too much of an advantage?).

The rain had completely stopped as I approached the end of lap 5. That section of track was dry but there was a good chance the back side of Nord was still wet as the rain had moved off in that direction. The dilemma was do I pit for RHs and include the pit time or proceed and try to keep life in my tires (they were down to about 40% life with a lap to go). I carried on. I was right though, the wet track came back, almost up to the first bar on the gauge even though no rain. I drove off the dry line were I could. A couple spots near the end I was struggling with about 5% life in the front and 2% at the back but drove cautiously to not make any silly mistakes.

I was constantly looking in my mirrors expecting P2 to come charge up, but it never happened and I finished in P1.

Considering I had no idea on my gap to P2, it turned out that not a single car made it to the finished line within 90s of me. :cheers:
Gran Turismo® 7_20240814215550.jpg

Gran Turismo® 7_20240814215558.jpg

In consideration of the Alfa. It is a fabulous car on this track. You can really dance it though the corners and it is good in the wet. It would probably lose in a dry race though.

Last edited:
Question related to race B, but actually more general for racew without tyres and fuel consumption:

Is the in-race conditions equal to quali (assuming clean air in front and behind)?
I'm asking because i struggling to reproduce my quali In race, best i did by now is +1s

Thanks

Next week, back to normality:

A - Special Stage Route X, sports softs, I think by now we can guess the cars
B - Catalunya GP No Chicane, Race Mediums, 1x/1x
C - Watkins Glen short, Race Hards, 1x fuel/2x tyre, 1 stop
A: tuned hyper cars
B: Gr3
C: Gr4 with a stop and go pit

Of course this is exactly what we want. For me it is the best daily race ever. It is just a bit unfortunate they went directly to the most challenging race ever. Could have given us a shorter wet race to start with, without worrying about fuel on top. I understand it is not for everyone, especially that long. That’s why a race D would be brilliant, but I doubt this will ever happen in GT7.

@Normsk I also ran 8.02, you doing well with VR now! I know I could get it below 8min, but I rather spend my time in races. Qualifying not that important here.

Anyone who doesn’t like the Porsche since the update, Renault is easier to handle. Give it a try.

Last edited:
Back