GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
FYI - Resident Evil Village is currently 50% on the PS Store

1678324338069.png

Just got back from a longs day of work… Jumped in the 996 GT3 and notice the game looks a bit shaper and clearer and the sweet spot seems better.. like easier to find! I’ve said it before I will never go back to flat screen racing!

Just got back from a longs day of work… Jumped in the 996 GT3 and notice the game looks a bit shaper and clearer and the sweet spot seems better.. like easier to find! I’ve said it before I will never go back to flat screen racing!
Same here, I set the widest 2D screen size, and prior to the update those screens were way blurrier. Never looked so sharp!

FYI - Resident Evil Village is currently 50% on the PS Store

View attachment 1237798
If you like that kind of games and manage to pass through the initial motion sickness, this will be some of the best 30 dollars you'll ever spend. This game is a masterpiece and a real game changer in VR. Get ready for not being able to play any of those games on flat ever again!

Last edited:
Same here, I set the widest 2D screen size, and prior to the update those screens were way blurrier. Never looked so sharp!

If you like that kind of games and manage to pass through the initial motion sickness, this will be some of the best 30 dollars you'll ever spend. This game is a masterpiece and a real game changer in VR. Get ready for not being able to play any of those games on flat ever again!
Yea I notice it as soon as it put them on… the screen was way sharper! I am so pumped up hopefully they can keep improving on the experience!!

Yea I notice it as soon as it put them on… the screen was way sharper! I am so pumped up hopefully they can keep improving on the experience!!
First thing I noticed too 😁
I didn't even pay attention to the mura effect, so I guess it's a good sign too!
With more horsepower, a better optimisation, and the expansion of Unreal Engine 5 in games development, this headset will bring some amazing graphics for sure 👍 Just imagine a GT8 with the same definition you have in the cockpits extended to the whole track, no textures pop in, and all the cars and other elements not being downgraded at 100meters ahead of the car. It would be amazing for sure!

One thing I think that GT7 could make better is the use of the OLED and HDR. The colors really lack deepness, especially when compared to colorful games like Runner or Cosmonious High. Not that I want GT7 to be as colorfull, but I think that they could do way better and find a good compromise between realism and color saturation/contrats, or at least give us a little more hand on it. I hope that they will improve it in the next updates!

Last edited:
I'm not sure but maybe it is now scaled properly? Was racing a Viper GT3 last night for the first time and felt like no matter how I sat the tach was covered by the wheel. Today feels like the wheel and everything else is larger? Wish I could test it better. Checked the golf's cup holders and they seem closer to the IRL cup holder sizes?

Very much impossible for me to tell if it's all placebo, but either way feels better today.

I'm not sure but maybe it is now scaled properly? Was racing a Viper GT3 last night for the first time and felt like no matter how I sat the tach was covered by the wheel. Today feels like the wheel and everything else is larger? Wish I could test it better. Checked the golf's cup holders and they seem closer to the IRL cup holder sizes?

Very much impossible for me to tell if it's all placebo, but either way feels better today.
I'd love to know what this update exactly changed, but there's so many people experiencing a better image quality and other improvements since yesterday, that I don't think it's a mass hallucination 😅

I'd love to know what this update exactly changed, but there's so many people experiencing a better image quality and other improvements since yesterday, that I don't think it's a mass hallucination 😅
It could be something as simple (and controversial) as Sony knocking the brightness down a few clicks.. #conspiracy

@Papiculo64 ‘I'd love to know what this update exactly changed, but there's so many people experiencing a better image quality and other improvements since yesterday, that I don't think it's a mass hallucination 😅

We want so badly an improvement that we actually believe there was one :). It’s like when you go to vote ‘this time will be better’. But it does 🫣😂?

Last edited:
@Papiculo64 ‘I'd love to know what this update exactly changed, but there's so many people experiencing a better image quality and other improvements since yesterday, that I don't think it's a mass hallucination 😅

We want so badly an improvement that we actually believe there was one :). It’s like when you go to vote ‘this time will be better’. But it does 🫣😂?
It seems the foveated rendering window was expanded or fixed seems like its better. def higher sharpness.

Last night before the update I ran 25 laps at Spa in the Manufacturers series free practice with my WRX, so I had it very fresh in my memory. Just now, after doing the update, I jumped straight back in to the same practice session, and the difference is remarkable. The image as a whole is so much clearer that I couldn't believe it at first. In fact, the track is so much crisper both near and afar that the second thing that I immediately noticed was some slight SDE.

Perhaps they adjusted the SDE filter (Samsung Odyssey+ had this) from slightly blurry and no SDE to crisper image but with more SDE.

Whatever tweak it was they did, I will take this 1000x over what I was seeing the last two weeks. It's a huge improvement overall.

I had my brightness at 60. Cranked it up to 100 and it looked bad again. Finally settled on 50. Everything looks fantastic now.

I'm a happy camper. Perhaps this is what the early sneak peek people were seeing. 'Cause it looks pretty damn good now!

Last edited:
Haha probably true, placebo effect is pretty strong though! But yeah something definitely changed in this update, just not exactly sure what but it definitely feels clearer/sharper and maybe bigger.

Last night before the update I ran 25 laps at Spa in the Manufacturers series free practice with my WRX, so I had it very fresh in my memory. Just now, after doing the update, I jumped straight back in to the same practice session, and the difference is remarkable. The image as a whole is so much clearer that I couldn't believe it at first. In fact, the track is so much crisper both near and afar that the second thing that I immediately noticed was some slight SDE.

Perhaps they adjusted the SDE filter (Samsung Odyssey+ had this) from slightly blurry and no SDE to crisper image but with more SDE.

Whatever tweak it was they did, I will take this 1000x over what I was seeing the last two weeks. It's a huge improvement overall.

I had my brightness at 60. Cranked it up to 100 and it looked bad again. Finally settled on 50. Everything looks fantastic now.

I'm a happy camper. Perhaps this is what the early sneak peek people were seeing. 'Cause it looks pretty damn good now!
I haven’t had time to play yet but I plugged in the cable and got the update message. Hit OK and the HMD vibrated and no other message or download bar appeared. Is that what it did for everyone else? An instantaneous update? Never seen such a thing. Even this latest standard controller update took several seconds for each controller.
There’s also apparently no way to check for an update manually via selecting the VR2 from the accessories menu. That menu tells you if your controllers are updated, but not your VR2? Seems quite strange to me. I have no way (that I see, anyway) of knowing if my headset is now up to date or not.

Last edited:
I haven’t had time to play yet but I plugged in the cable and got the update message. Hit OK and the HMD vibrated and no other message or download bar appeared. Is that what it did for everyone else? An instantaneous update? Never seen such a thing. Even this latest standard controller update took several seconds for each controller.
There’s also apparently no way to check for an update manually via selecting the VR2 from the accessories menu. That menu tells you if your controllers are updated, but not your VR2? Seems quite strange to me. I have no way (that I see, anyway) of knowing if my headset is now up to date or not.
Yes. This is what it did for me on my update also.

Just now, after doing the update, I jumped straight back in to the same practice session, and the difference is remarkable. The image as a whole is so much clearer that I couldn't believe it at first. In fact, the track is so much crisper both near and afar

My experience mirrors yours

I had my brightness at 60. Cranked it up to 100 and it looked bad again. Finally settled on 50. Everything looks fantastic now

If you don't mind, where exactly are you changing the brightness setting?

Yes. This is what it did for me on my update also.
OK thanks. I wondered if there had been an error or something. I feel better now 🤣
Can’t wait to see if I notice this same newfound clarity others are reporting, but it’s been a long day. Gonna have to wait until tomorrow.
Just got the 911 GT1 from the Legends dealer, though. Been waiting for that one to come back around.

Last edited:
OK thanks. I wondered if there had been an error or something. I feel better now 🤣
Can’t wait to see if I notice this same newfound clarity others are reporting, but it’s been a long day. Gonna have to wait until tomorrow.
Just got the 911 GT1 from the Legends dealer, though. Been waiting for that one to come back around.
I didn't get to try tonight either. But I trust the people here. Not that I'll complain if it turns out to be the same for me.

I guess I'm in the minority but I didn't notice a difference in the image quality after the update
Did you watch the video that @Nathan88 linked? I did both of those steps, in game (under options then display I believe).

I don't know if it was that combined with the update but it's certainly looked night and day to me.

When I do 200 mi in a day I usually break it up over three sessions and today I did 200 miles in one session because it was clear enough that it didn't bother me

That's for sure some of the super powers that VR has!

I played almost exclusively GT7 and GT sport VR last year. I was so addicted to GT7 that I just didn't want to play anything else. But after each VR session on GT sport, it was really difficult for me to go back to GT7. It took me at least 2 hours to readjust to the flat driving, and it felt so numb... Playing GT7 in VR was the thing I expected the most before PSVR2 was even announced, and what made me want a PS5 in the first place. Never imagined that we would have the whole campaign and all the online counterpart without major sacrifices like a cut in the number of cars on track or else. It's so damn good that I'm almost ready to abandon my 670 cars garage and start a new game on a second account!

I know that many players here are mostly/only interested in racing, but I always loved all genres of video games. I just wasn't interested in other games since GT7 came out, because it took all of my time as you can see here:
(and the day before GT7's release was the last time I played Cyberpunk... xD )

As for someone who's been waiting GT7 VR like the Messiah, I was surprised to see that PSVR2 actually reawakened my taste for all other video game genres as well!

I just finished RE: Village yesterday, and it was one of the most intense and best gaming experiences I had in my life and more than 35 years playing video games, period.
What a blast!! 😮

It was so much better than all I imagined, a true revelation for me, and it makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to play that kind of games on flat screen ever again. Tried the flat version just for fun, and it was so underwhelming and uncomparable to what I experienced in VR...! Maybe even more than what I experience when going from VR to TV on GT7. You've got to live one of those boss fights to understand what I'm talking about. It's not just a game on a screen, you're actually part of it and your level of implication is incomparably stronger.

I feel a little sad about it, since it's a game that many PSVR2 users won't be able to fully experience... It needs quite some strong VR legs and a good stomach as well. But it's definitively the greatest game changer I experienced since I first tried VR racing. It brings the game and the whole horror genre to a level that you just can't magine without playing it by yourself.

I was already used to VR racing, so even if GT7 wasn't the same wow effect as for someone who experienced VR racing for the first time, I knew long before launch that I wouldn't be able to play any other racing games in flat mode after this VR update. What I never expected was that it would be the same with some other genres I always loved, and especially with horror games.

Therefore, RE Village is the biggest blast I had so far with my PSVR2. To me it's a huge leap, not only for VR gaming, but for the whole gaming industry. It pushes the boundaries of what's possible to experience and feel in video games. You don't just play a game, you live it, and that makes a huge difference! I'm so excited to see what's coming up with this still young medium, but it will be some great video game moments for sure :)

TLDR: PSVR2 is the most well-spent money I had in a very long time!

Hi mate,

Did you use assisted mode for weapons in re8? I played tutorial bunker couple of weeks back, but yet to return. Whilst cool you cam do reload.l movements, fel Clunky. Kept dropping things to. No doubt gets easier with familiarity.

Also, did yiu sit or stand?

Cheers

Did you watch the video that @Nathan88 linked? I did both of those steps, in game (under options then display I believe).

I don't know if it was that combined with the update but it's certainly looked night and day to me.

When I do 200 mi in a day I usually break it up over three sessions and today I did 200 miles in one session because it was clear enough that it didn't bother me
Those changes on their own present a big change to be fair

I guess I'm in the minority but I didn't notice a difference in the image quality after the update
I wouldn't describe it as a groundbreaking difference, but I did notice some subtle improvements.

After the update, text appears a little crisper. The same goes for close details, e.g. in the cockpit. For far details, I have the feeling that the image has overall gotten a little clearer and cleaner.

I wouldn't describe it as a groundbreaking difference, but I did notice some subtle improvements.

After the update, text appears a little crisper. The same goes for close details, e.g. in the cockpit. For far details, I have the feeling that the image has overall gotten a little clearer and cleaner.
have you ammended the display settings as Nathan mentioned a few pages back?

I'm going to boot it up shortly - getting withdrawals as haven't used it for a couple of days now :D

B80
have you ammended the display settings as Nathan mentioned a few pages back?
Can you please quote Nathan's recommendations here? I'm not sure what he said. Thanks!

I made sure that my settings for VR after the update are same as before the update, to have a direct comparison. However, I have not yet tried everything. There's still untapped potential in positioning of PSVR2 on my head (my over-ear headphones get in the way, working on a solution now) as well as in fiddling with the brightness setting (which I have not changed yet).

Last edited:
Can you please quote Nathan's recommendations here? I'm not sure what he said. Thanks!

I made sure that my settings for VR after the update are same as before the update, to have a direct comparison. However, I have not yet tried everything. There's still untapped potential in positioning of PSVR2 on my head (my over-ear headphones get in the way, working on a solution now) as well as in changing the brightness setting (which I have not changed yet).
Here you go chief. Basically involves changing brightness setting in game and within vr2 options...

(post 3229 if link not working)

Back