GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
B80
Here you go chief. Basically involves changing brightness setting in game and within vr2 options...

(post 3229 if link not working)
Thanks! I'll look into it and report my findings.

Anytime. I was up on Saturday morning reading GTPlanet with my coffee, and GT7 was already on the agenda.

That's what I like about this forum. There's a great sense of community here, always has been. Lots of helpful people, and great conversations. @Jordan and team really do a great job. I was away for several years when the GT franchise went fairly dormant (never really cared for GT Sport), and I was doing racing on PC with PCars, AC/ACC, and iRacing. After finally getting a PS5 in November, I'm back with GT7, and it feels like coming home.

The one thing I was missing with GT7 up until recently was VR (was playing on PC with Quest 2 before - I even had a Rift at one point but it was really complicated to set up). In some ways it was a step backward, but the graphics on 4K OLED w/HDR are spectacular so it wasn't that big of a deal - just a trade off.

Someone else had a really good post that I read this morning about VR vs. flat screen which I totally agree with based on my experience.

You can train your brain to "understand" the physics and spatial relationships projected by a video game in 2D, and people can get very good at it through repetition and have.

When you move to VR, this is the "natural habitat" your brain is used to when driving/racing because it's basically a 3D experience. It takes a little while for your brain to "unlearn" the 2D training, but not too long because it's much more natural to what your brain has been accustomed to for all of your life.

There really is no comparison. If you really put things in perspective, all of the complaints about a slight loss in visual clarity vs a 4K OLED TV pale in comparison to the immersive experience VR brings to you IMHO. PSVR2 is a big leap over the prior technology (PSVR1 and Quest 2), and I think we can expect this space to continue to leapfrog for a while as we're still on the upslope of the innovation curve.

To your other point, I'm really loving the new Grand Valley / Hwy. 1 track also. I think it was PCars2 (might have been Assetto Corsa) that had a really long Hwy. 1 course which I also really enjoyed driving. The GT7 version is a closer replica of the real road, but the PCars one was longer and also lots of fun.
👍👌❤️✌️

Don´t think the improvements are subtle or even debatable. It´s right in your face!

Game is so much sharper. Especially cockpits are night and day imo.

A trade off was apparently made though. Image is definitely a bit darker and overall kinda "muted".

Manually adjusting the EV settings in GT does not quite bring back the pre-update color pop.

I´m happy though. Amazing thing just got better.

Last edited:
Did some laps tonight after the update and image quality seems definitely improved from what I saw before. Even the cockpits seem clearer. There were some moments, like driving over the top of Mount Panorama and seeing the sun setting over the mountains that my brain for a second believed I was there. I don't want to be too effusive because some things still looked kind of bad (what's with the flickering light on trees) and pop-in of objects is still distracting, but overall whatever Sony did with the PSVR2 update really benefited GT7.

I just wish I could get rid of the unsettled stomach I still get after a VR session. If it continues I will just have to get rid of the headset.

I don't want to be too effusive because some things still looked kind of bad (what's with the flickering light on trees) and pop-in of objects is still distracting, but overall whatever Sony did with the PSVR2 update really benefited GT7.
Yeah, through the overall improved IQ LOD switches and pop in become a lot more noticeable.

Nah. Lod was same as before. Seen the pop in befor and after. But cockpit is better. Can read the all little text too now in meters.

Does anyone else have issues with VR headset positioning when wearing headphones? I can't be the only one.

I thought that my fairly tight-fit over-ears would work. However, it has been discussed here that vertical positioning of PSVR2 has an impact on image quality, and that the strap on the back of the head should be positioned lower than one initially assumes. And this is where it gets tricky, as the earpads of over-ear headphones limit the amount you can pull down the rear strap of PSVR2.

The Sony Pulse 3D are the - more or less - "official" non-earbud headphone option for PSVR2. They are over-ears as well. Does anyone own these and can report?

Nah. Lod was same as before. Seen the pop in before and after. But cockpit is better. Can read the all little text too now in meters.
Didn´t say it was different, I said it is more noticeable now.

Does anyone else have issues with VR headset positioning when wearing headphones? I can't be the only one.
Same. I use earbuds only and I´m looking to get better ones. I have the Sony Pulse 3D, but it´s simply too much on my head.

Last edited:
Did some laps tonight after the update and image quality seems definitely improved from what I saw before. Even the cockpits seem clearer. There were some moments, like driving over the top of Mount Panorama and seeing the sun setting over the mountains that my brain for a second believed I was there. I don't want to be too effusive because some things still looked kind of bad (what's with the flickering light on trees) and pop-in of objects is still distracting, but overall whatever Sony did with the PSVR2 update really benefited GT7.

I just wish I could get rid of the unsettled stomach I still get after a VR session. If it continues I will just have to get rid of the headset.
How many times have you played and on what durations?

I thought that my fairly tight-fit over-ears would work. However, it has been discussed here that vertical positioning of PSVR2 has an impact on image quality, and that the strap on the back of the head should be positioned lower than one initially assumes. And this is where it gets tricky, as the earpads of over-ear headphones limit the amount you can pull down the rear strap of PSVR2.

The Sony Pulse 3D are the - more or less - "official" non-earbud headphone option for PSVR2. They are over-ears as well. Does anyone own these and can report?
I have the Pulse 3D and all I can say is : ‘what were they thinking when they made the project’. It’s not good. To me in Ear is the only safe way. I also have other ‘open’ headphones, but the only fitting good is in ear

I have the Pulse 3D and all I can say is : ‘what were they thinking when they made the project’. It’s not good. To me in Ear is the only safe way. I also have other ‘open’ headphones, but the only fitting good is in ear
This is the information I am looking for, thank you!

I am not big on in-ears. I'm currently checking out on-ear options. As a wearer of glasses I usually am not happy with on-ears either - they press your outer ears against the glasses' temples, which quickly becomes uncomfortable. However, I ordered my PSVR2 prescription lenses today, which means that I soon don't need to wear glasses in the VR headset, which makes on-ear headphones an option again.

Last edited:
Update: two errors so far. Have yet to have a day with no tracking errors. Went to Sony's site but it just gives me a # to call. Not sure where I can formally send them something regarding this. Every error is essentially a lost lap.

Have you turned on tracking assistance in the PS VR2 options?

I am not big on in-ears. I'm currently checking out on-ear options. As a wearer of glasses I usually am not happy with on-ears either - they press your outer ears against the glasses' temples, which quickly becomes uncomfortable. However, I ordered my PSVR2 prescription lenses today, which means that I soon don't need to wear glasses in the VR headset, which makes on-ear headphones an option again.
I use my pulse headphones and the Vr fine. It's only annoying when I go to take of the headset forgetting about the headphones as they go over the top!

Have you turned on tracking assistance in the PS VR2 options?
Yep. Tried both turning it off and turning it on and nothing seems to help. Was able to race yesterday in Sport and didn't have an issue. If it does it at all again today I'll probably just tell Sony to either let me know if they know about the issue or if they can send me a replacement.

I use Grados SR80x headphones. They have a foam earpad that easily rests over the head strap. Thankfully they're open headphones (opposite of noise canceling and better bass response) so the small gap between the earpad and my ear doesn't ruin the sound.

But yes, if I were to let the earpad sit flush with my ear, it would impede the halo strap placement.

I'm pretty happy using the stock earbuds. When playing shooters, I use my SteelSeries headset to listen for footsteps and directional sound but I don't need to 'soundwh**e' in GT7 so the earbuds work great for me.

I'm pretty happy using the stock earbuds. When playing shooters, I use my SteelSeries headset to listen for footsteps and directional sound but I don't need to 'soundwh**e' in GT7 so the earbuds work great for me.
Yeah the ear buds work well esp you get more air on your head so you dont really sweat as much vs over the ears.

Tried my replacemem PS VR2 last night, first experience for almost a week. I ran the headset at 70% brightness, previously only ran 100%. So that could be the biggest factor with the improved image quality.

With that said, I noticed much less noise/chromatic aberration, and didn’t feel the need to adjust my headset in over 2hrs of play. In the menus I got into the habit of moving my head to look at things (I assume it doesn’t have eye tracking?). While in game I did find it easier to read dials and finer details. Further into the distance it’s still not pin sharp, but the image was more stable. I only noticed blur when a car in front went through a twisty section of track. I believe this is because of the reprojection from 60-120fps.

With all the talk of more sims/cockpit based games coming to PS VR2 to offer greater value. It’s good to see the War Thunder devs bring a PS VR2 exclusive (for now) title to the system. Hopefully this bodes well for VR modes in more titles.

With all the talk of more sims/cockpit based games coming to PS VR2 to offer greater value. It’s good to see the War Thunder devs bring a PS VR2 exclusive (for now) title to the system. Hopefully this bodes well for VR modes in more titles.
Yep. I really do hope that a lot of games will appear with this kind of PSVR2 support.
Ace Combat 8, new Wipeout, Mechwarrior 6, WRC, F1 and lots of other cockpit games <3

Yep. I really do hope that a lot of games will appear with this kind of PSVR2 support.
Ace Combat 8, new Wipeout, Mechwarrior 6, WRC, F1 and lots of other cockpit games <3
Yeah im holding out for AceCombat8 but def bodes well VR is perfect for cockpit games def would love some mechwarrior / big robot cockpit games lol.

It works, but something is wrong. It's not comfortable, maybe trying with open headphones like DT990 PRO (amazing) they have foam. The 3D Pulse are just not comfortable with the headset. They are not comfortable -per se- but with the headset...worse ;)

Tried my replacemem PS VR2 last night, first experience for almost a week. I ran the headset at 70% brightness, previously only ran 100%. So that could be the biggest factor with the improved image quality.

With that said, I noticed much less noise/chromatic aberration, and didn’t feel the need to adjust my headset in over 2hrs of play. In the menus I got into the habit of moving my head to look at things (I assume it doesn’t have eye tracking?). While in game I did find it easier to read dials and finer details. Further into the distance it’s still not pin sharp, but the image was more stable. I only noticed blur when a car in front went through a twisty section of track. I believe this is because of the reprojection from 60-120fps.

I was just thinking if Sony really wants to give two fingers to the PC market a Flight Sim on PlayStation would be a great addition. Something like X Plane on PS5 would be amazing!

Holy ****. I was dreaming to see some flight games come to PSVR 2.

Do you know if it has a single player campaign, or is it like a multiplayer only game ?

I actually just purchased the 3d Pulse headphones after getting a coupon where I could get $20 off. It probably depends on your head but it always takes a bit of shifting around to get them on my ears right. If I just put the VR headset on so the image and fit is correct, I usually have to move the headband higher on the back of my head to get the headphones to fit over my ears. It all works together for me though. As for the pulse headphones, they do feel kinda cheap material-wise, but the features and integration with the PS5 is really nice. I've enjoyed it for other games too being able to go wireless and have a good amount of chat vs game volume adjustment.

Do you know if it has a single player campaign, or is it like a multiplayer only game ?
This is what everyone is wondering. War Thunder is already a F2P PlayStation game with cross-platform support with PC and XBox, and it already has VR support on PC. Are they just basically planning to add PS VR2 support to 1/3 of the existing free game and charge for it?

Looks like they're using the motion controllers to actually control hands which operate the plane's controls. That could either work really really well, or be a bit odd. I'd love to try it out either way!

Yeah im holding out for AceCombat8 but def bodes well VR is perfect for cockpit games def would love some mechwarrior / big robot cockpit games lol.
AC7 on PSVR was great, even if it was a tiny (GTS VR-like) part of it.

I was just thinking if Sony really wants to give two fingers to the PC market a Flight Sim on PlayStation would be a great addition. Something like X Plane on PS5 would be amazing!
Without mod support, I suspect it wouldn't make a big dent at all.

Back