GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Put a few hours in today, not seeing any difference image wise than what I remember from last weekend. With such a long period between sessions there is a possibility I just didn't notice any changes, take that how you will.

I have the HyperX Cloud Revolvers and use them comfortably with the PSVR2. I keep the headset a little loose and tuck the very tip of the cups (mostly the foam part) under it. I also wear them slightly tilted back. However. everyone's head is shaped differently so your mileage may vary.
Thanks, I'll try this and see how it feels
I have easily golded all the time trials (except that damn NSX at the Ring) so I think I'm fairly fast. In VR I am at least as fast if not faster. I find it much easier to hit apexes. I went back and tried my old view (chase cam) and it just felt weird. I do all my driving in VR going forward. Now about that improved HUD PD.
I'm probably slightly slower than you (I can gold many of the TTs but settle for silver in some), but I had the same experience with VR. Can never go back to chase cam. Also, I'm with you on the improved HUD!! I know some argue that it's not as immersive, but this is a matter of opinion. The newer cars have HUDs, and anyway, I'm used to it. PD should use ACC as a model for this.
A funny thing happened the other day. I was driving the BMW Z8 convertible at Bathurst checking out the scenery. I looked left coming down the mountain and there was a guy waving at me, I instinctually waved back at him. :lol: I thought now that's immersion when you forget you're in the game.
I love Bathurst in VR! Especially in a convertible. Try it with the RA272 at night and look up at the starts when you get to the top of the mountain. Dawn is also nice.

Last edited:
How many of you have hit your head on a wall looking at the interiors? Lol. My rig is in a corner.

I have also reached for interior buttons expecting to touch them.

Lastly, finding the buttons on the the steering wheel is really confusing when you’re looking at completely different steering wheels in the game.

Last edited:
I wish they would use the “look back” and change view buttons to toggle or switch between different UI elements that are normally hidden in VR like the shift indicator, and the positions of other racers. and the wind direction information all of which are nowhere to be found…

I don’t know if anyone else has been experiencing this, but while viewing the interior in the car (both in VR studio and racing), looking in any direction around the cockpit causes the viewpoint to constantly shift backwards and forwards a couple of inches. It can be pretty nauseating and distracting. I tried calibrating the headset & eye tracking settings multiple times in various lighting conditions, but it hasn’t fixed the issue.

Edit: Appeared to just be calibration issues with the headset. Sticking duct tape to the walls has given the headset some extra node points as a reference, so just avoid facing white walls, with a white ceiling!

Apart from this, my experience has been great so far. Had a couple of dicey moments in the historic race at Grand Valley. The headset vibration made the 100mph barrier impact surprisingly immersive. Graphics are clear and beautiful, and the VR Showrooms look amazing.
I’m having the exact issues you had. The viewpoint keeps shifting a bit and it’s nauseating for me. Same thing in a race where the viewpoint moves during a corner so I get a weird sudden floaty movement. Makes me feel sick. I’m going to try the duct tape and hope it works as well for myself as it has for you. Thanks for the tip.

Otherwise the whole experience is truly amazing!!! I could sit for hours just appreciating the different cars in my garage, up close and personal lol.

GMW
I’m having the exact issues you had. The viewpoint keeps shifting a bit and it’s nauseating for me. Same thing in a race where the viewpoint moves during a corner so I get a weird sudden floaty movement. Makes me feel sick. I’m going to try the duct tape and hope it works as well for myself as it has for you. Thanks for the tip.

Otherwise the whole experience is truly amazing!!! I could sit for hours just appreciating the different cars in my garage, up close and personal lol.
Have you tried turning on “Tracking Support” before plastering your walls with tracking markers?

Settings > Accessories > PlayStation VR2 > Tracking Support

It may help case your TV is always in view.

Last edited:
Paid pretty close attention before and after update- can’t see an objective difference. Things in the dash that are hard to read are still hard to read, boards are not magically clearer. But I’m okay with that- I think it’s pretty great from day 1 TBH.

My view is Sony would advertise any visual upgrades. I don’t think anybody would react negatively to them saying they’ve enhanced reprojection etc.

Paid pretty close attention before and after update- can’t see an objective difference. Things in the dash that are hard to read are still hard to read, boards are not magically clearer. But I’m okay with that- I think it’s pretty great from day 1 TBH.

My view is Sony would advertise any visual upgrades. I don’t think anybody would react negatively to them saying they’ve enhanced reprojection etc.
Agree but maybe slight improvement in ghosting on vr replay. I trust my eye due to my cinema job :)

Agree but maybe slight improvement in ghosting on vr replay. I trust my eye due to my cinema job :)
Ghosting still there in all its glory during gameplay though. Let’s hope they can come up with a fix for that or at least something that makes it less obvious and annoying.

I also work with feature films, sometimes I wish I didn’t 🤣

Last edited:
Have you tried turning on “Tracking Support” before plastering your walls with tracking markers?

Settings > Accessories > PlayStation VR2 > Tracking Support

It may help case your TV is always in view.
I’m using a projector so it’s far from the PS5. I’ll try getting as close to it while sitting down. Thanks

No motion blur in VR replays either?
Yeah, that’s still pretty obvious to me when cars are crossing your FoV. That will happen way less in game of course.

I’m definitely not beating up here- I’m really blown away with GT7 in general, and triply now. I would have paid serious money for a VR upgrade too.

Hopefully some stuff really can be fixed by Sony and PD- I’m just remembering how absolutely terribly optimised Witcher 3 and Elden Ring were day one. Took a full year to get where they should have been at launch. GT7 PSVR2 is in a way better state than that!

I was a PSVR 1 early adopter. Even though GT Sport VR was limited to time trials and one other car at most, I still thoroughly enjoyed the VR experience, especially with my T-GT.

Then in 2020, the pandemic hit. Stuck at home, I built a PC with 5900X, RTX 3080 and HP Reverb G2. I got into Assetto Corsa modding, enjoying the latest cars and almost any track I wanted, including touge tracks and long winding canyon roads. I also thoroughly enjoyed the much more detailed sound, FFB and physics of ACC. Things got even more interesting when I could get my sim racing gang together for a race, but it took a lot of effort after the pandemic.

I held off on the PS5, but when GT7 came out a year ago, I caved to a scalper. I’d played every single GT since the beginning, there was no way I was gonna miss GT7. I’ve sunk a couple of hundred hours into it, probably. But I’d also stopped for a couple of months, and went on with life and other games.

I too struggled with jumping on the PSVR2 wagon. But I decided to pull the trigger, and I don’t regret it.

PCVR is great, but it takes effort. PSVR2 is easy to just get into and play, but it isn’t as sharp clear as the G2. But it isn’t that far off.

PCVR and AC give you nearly infinite car and track mods. But they take effort to find, and quality of models and physics are hit and miss. GT7 only has about 450 cars, and many expensive ones take luck and grinding to collect in-game. But the modeling quality is pretty much second to none. And I also really enjoy the Scapes photo mode. I can also easily sink hours into making custom liveries.

I’m a car lover, I love track days, I collect car models of all kinds. My fun manual car even sports a Gran Turismo windshield banner. I pretty much love Gran Turismo. It isn’t perfect by a long shot. And the physics are kinda dumbed down compared to PC sims. But if you love cars, there’s a high chance you’ll love GT7 + VR. Experiencing the interiors makes each car feel special, even the slow ones.

I thoroughly enjoy all kinds of sim racing VR games. I’m fortunate enough that I can experience the best of PCVR and PSVR2. And GT7 is right up there.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, a proposal: I am good with Photoshop. Next week I'll take an existing in-game screenshot (pre-VR) and rework it with Photoshop to make it look like what I see when playing GT7 with PSVR 2.

The VR experiences documented in this thread are spread too far for my liking. With said screenshot I'd like to establish a "visual baseline" everyone can relate to in some way. I have the feeling that either the expectations are wildly different or that things such as wearing glasses, contact lenses or not needing visual aid at all leads to significantly different visuals.

Note: said screenshot will not be about foveated rendering. It will therefore not contain lower resolution areas introduced by foveated rendering. My goal is to visually reproduce the sweetspot- and out-of-sweetspot sharpness, resolution and chromatic aberration that I experience.

I could not determine any change in the image quality. If I'm reaching, it's possible that it was just easier on my eyes. Like they didn't have to work as hard to focus on things and was less fatiguing. But I had the headset off for almost a week due to being sick. My head is kind of in a fog anyway so probably not the best to make comparisons. The scale definitely still seemed small as it was before.

Gentlemen, a proposal: I am good with Photoshop. Next week I'll take an existing in-game screenshot (pre-VR) and rework it with Photoshop to make it look like what I see when playing GT7 with PSVR 2.

The VR experiences documented in this thread are spread too far for my liking. With said screenshot I'd like to establish a "visual baseline" everyone can relate to in some way. I have the feeling that either the expectations are wildly different or that things such as wearing glasses, contact lenses or not needing visual aid at all leads to significantly different visuals.

Note: said screenshot will not be about foveated rendering. It will therefore not contain lower resolution areas introduced by foveated rendering. My goal is to visually reproduce the sweetspot- and out-of-sweetspot sharpness, resolution and chromatic aberration that I experience.
great!

How many of you have hit your head on a wall looking at the interiors? Lol. My rig is in a corner.

I have also reached for interior buttons expecting to touch them.

Lastly, finding the buttons on the the steering wheel is really confusing when you’re looking at completely different steering wheels in the game.

I headbutted my steering wheel while leaning in to examine the lettering on the tyre sidewalls of a Porsche 919! I’m glad nobody witnessed that!

I put mine in see through mode and looked around to make sure nobody saw it lol.
Classic!

Playing in VR is pretty embarrassing. You just have to make sure nobody if recording you.

While playing Call of the Mountain I’ve hit the wall a few times and got rolled up in wire to the point of not being able to move my legs anymore.

But nothing beats crashing in GT7 after moving your head inside the mesh of a Gr.1/Formula car and getting a blackout.

I was a PSVR 1 early adopter. Even though GT Sport VR was limited to time trials and one other car at most, I still thoroughly enjoyed the VR experience, especially with my T-GT.

Then in 2020, the pandemic hit. Stuck at home, I built a PC with 5900X, RTX 3080 and HP Reverb G2. I got into Assetto Corsa modding, enjoying the latest cars and almost any track I wanted, including touge tracks and long winding canyon roads. I also thoroughly enjoyed the much more detailed sound, FFB and physics of ACC. Things got even more interesting when I could get my sim racing gang together for a race, but it took a lot of effort after the pandemic.

I held off on the PS5, but when GT7 came out a year ago, I caved to a scalper. I’d played every single GT since the beginning, there was no way I was gonna miss GT7. I’ve sunk a couple of hundred hours into it, probably. But I’d also stopped for a couple of months, and went on with life and other games.

I too struggled with jumping on the PSVR2 wagon. But I decided to pull the trigger, and I don’t regret it.

PCVR is great, but it takes effort. PSVR2 is easy to just get into and play, but it isn’t as sharp clear as the G2. But it isn’t that far off.

PCVR and AC give you nearly infinite car and track mods. But they take effort to find, and quality of models and physics are hit and miss. GT7 only has about 450 cars, and many expensive ones take luck and grinding to collect in-game. But the modeling quality is pretty much second to none. And I also really enjoy the Scapes photo mode. I can also easily sink hours into making custom liveries.

I’m a car lover, I love track days, I collect car models of all kinds. My fun manual car even sports a Gran Turismo windshield banner. I pretty much love Gran Turismo. It isn’t perfect by a long shot. And the physics are kinda dumbed down compared to PC sims. But if you love cars, there’s a high chance you’ll love GT7 + VR. Experiencing the interiors makes each car feel special, even the slow ones.

I thoroughly enjoy all kinds of sim racing VR games. I’m fortunate enough that I can experience the best of PCVR and PSVR2. And GT7 is right up there.
That’s def one thing I’ve noticed in VR the cars personalities are way more apparent as well really felt a difference recently driving a genesis gr.3 vs the GTR vs the Porsche. Like I feel way more in tune with how they all feel.

Funny but only today discover that you can listen spotify playing gt7 (and gt7 music is automaticly muted) ;d And its great combo with vr.

For those asking about the Pulse 3D + PS VR2 combo, I got one last week but this morning's Manufacturer race was the first time I have used it in an extended session. It was 90' between registration, qualy and the 24-lap race.

Comfort level was excellent throughout. Even better than without the headphones since they seem to take a bit of the weight of the headset off, allowing me to tighten the ring much less. It fits perfectly over my ears and with the HMD resting flush on top of the ear pieces. I really like it, and this is the first time in my life (49 YO) that I have ever played videogames with headphones.

I think a lot of it depends on the shape of your head. It may work for some but not for others.

Two thumbs up from me.

snc
Funny but only today discover that you can listen spotify playing gt7 (and gt7 music is automaticly muted) ;d And its great combo with vr.

I didn’t know that. I’ll have to put together a GT playlist of songs like Feeder Just a day and I’m right back in the 90’s!

I didn’t know that. I’ll have to put together a GT playlist of songs like Feeder Just a day and I’m right back in the 90’s!
Just pray to not having tracks changing while you’re turning. The track notification unfortunately pops up right in the middle of windshield and is pretty distracting. PD should move that to show up over the wheel or something.

Just pray to not having tracks changing while you’re turning. The track notification unfortunately pops up right in the middle of windshield and is pretty distracting. PD should move that to show up over the wheel or something.
I don't think that's a PD thing, though. It must be the OS. I had a huge overlay pop up when my screen record got to 55' to warn me that in 5' it would stop recording and it didn't go away until the 60' of recording were reached!

You shouldn't be listening to music anyway while racing :D.

Sigh, psvr2 took a small L. Seems to still work fine but if i really look hard to my left lens i notice something albeit subtle. Again nothing during gaming so i can live with it. Just a note to all, doesn't take even small drops well. This was prob from about 2ft onto hardwood floor.

Attachments

• DSC_1411.JPG
    DSC_1411.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 15
I don't think that's a PD thing, though. It must be the OS. I had a huge overlay pop up when my screen record got to 55' to warn me that in 5' it would stop recording and it didn't go away until the 60' of recording were reached!

You shouldn't be listening to music anyway while racing :D.
I usually don’t, but sometimes we just need to chill 🥶

At least up to the point where tracks change and you crash and burn 🤣

But you’re probably right about it being a OS thing, Sony should look into that to give developers of the games the ability to place those wherever they want.

Last edited:
Back