GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,513 comments
It’s not for me. I said from the start I need Astrobot and/or Blood & Truth ports/sequels (I still have the original headset hooked up to play them). B&T is sadly not happening now the studio is kaput, but there’s hope for Astro - until the SoP tonight when they say the new game is flat only.
Flat Astro Bot it is, still no reason to get the new VR for me (unless I find one really really cheap).

If you ever wanted proof that Sony consider the VR2 dead, this is it. The best exclusive on the original system, almost universally praised, the new mascot for Playstation, not getting a VR sequel.

Last edited:
For PC players, that thing already exists and it seems an awesome experience.
We should excercise while gaming!

Pretty much this...or like the apple vision pro, the ability to use it oustide in a AR/VR scenario. Would be sick to play VR/AR laser tag/ Paintball in where I can actually run around.

I kinda hate how on no mans sky and even RE4 Remake the way you have to move around....It just doesnt work for me.

Im thinking about downloading beat saber over the weekend and playing that Skrillex Brostep add on, looks fun

Last edited:
Quick question about PSVR2 in gt7.

Do you guys use eye tracking or have it off? I’ve never tried it but just read about how eye tracking is good for some other games.

Wasn’t sure if I’ve been missing out on something good or if gt7 is best without turning it on.

Quick question about PSVR2 in gt7.

Do you guys use eye tracking or have it off? I’ve never tried it but just read about how eye tracking is good for some other games.

Wasn’t sure if I’ve been missing out on something good or if gt7 is best without turning it on.
I didn't know that you could turn it off.

I didn't know that you could turn it off.

lol. Senior moment. I guess it had been turned on the whole time but because it had a greyed color on the button I thought maybe it was off.
Should’ve opened the game and looked before asking a dumb question 🤣

I’m always seeing eye tracking option in the menu because every time I take the headset off and put it back on, I double check Adjust Visibility to make sure I didn’t move the roller adjustment knob and have alignment in a good spot.

Last edited:
Yeah, Eye Tracking can be disabled in PS Settings>>Accessories>>Playstation VR2>>Eye Tracking. Not sure what the point of turning it off would be though since that would disable higher resolution of what your focusing on.

Last edited:
Is it even enabled in Gran Turismo? Sure doesn’t seem like it
It does, but there no way to tell from inside the headset because it works really well.
You can see it on your TV while someone is playing on your headset in VR.

Interesting. I’ve tested it in cockpit before, and while looking at trackside markers at speed, and if I’m just moving my eyes only…anything that I’m not directly pointing my chin at is a blur

Last edited:
It works so fast you can't see it in the goggles. I've done a lot recording and editing of PSVR2 video and I can see when I was looking at the HUD on the right by looking at the foveated rendering pattern. It only seem to ever foveate (blur or render at lower resolution) the right of the screen though. It's especially noticeable when looking at the HUD in VR. It's super jaggy and blocky until you look at it, and then it's at full resolution until you look away.

I’ll have to do some more testing then. Has information ever been legitimately provided by either Sony or Polyphony Digital that Gran Turismo does in fact utilize eye tracking in game?

I’ll have to do some more testing then. Has information ever been legitimately provided by either Sony or Polyphony Digital that Gran Turismo does in fact utilize eye tracking in game?
Trust me bro! LOL Yeah it works 100%. I can prove it just by taking some screenshots of videos I made. I know the lenses aren't the best but it'll be interesting to see what it'll look like connected to a PS5 Pro or fast PC with a 4080 or 5080 or whatever. 120hz non-reprojected frames at maxed out resolution with a lot of horse power for rendering in HDR might look pretty good actually.

Last edited:
Here's an example of what to look for in pic. Top is when I am looking in direction of HUD, bottom is looking away from HUD. And when you look back it changes back to full resolution you can't see it change. So it's just saving performance, not rendering entire screen at full resolution at all times, only where you are looking. Or I guess not full res where you aren't looking. But I've only ever noticed it in vid captures on the right hand side of screen in GT7.

gt7 psvr2 foveated rendering example.jpg

From this vid below. And if you're just sitting stationary in the car and only move your eyes, you can see very clearly when it goes full resolution and when it foveates (I think that's the correct term?) and goes all blocky when you aren't looking at it.

Last edited:
Eye track is a PSVR2 feature, but I do not think PD is purposely making any other part blurry, or less crisp than the parts our eyes are focusing on ..
Personally I believe GT7 is 100 % graphically clear anywhere inside the set ..
The only reason you dont see it clear on the edge and the surrounding is because of the eye piece / lenses, just like your eyeswear, they are met to be seen straight ahead...

An optometrist here should be able to explain better

Edit: but I am gladly willing to be proven wrong...

Last edited:
Eye track is a PSVR2 feature, but I do not think PD is purposely making any other part blurry, or less crisp than the parts our eyes are focusing on ..
Personally I believe GT7 is 100 % graphically clear anywhere inside the set ..
The only reason you dont see it clear on the edge and the surrounding is because of the eye piece / lenses, just like your eyeswear, they are met to be seen straight ahead...

An optometrist here should be able to explain better

Edit: but I am gladly willing to be proven wrong...
Read all the responses, and I think I’m inline with this the most. It most definitely is the Re projection that makes a lot of things blurry while in motion, but honestly…I’m thinking this whole “forevatedsomethingrather rendering” is just snake oil - that’s not aided by the fresnel-somethingrather lenses.

OF COURSE things aren’t going to be in focus if they’re in your peripheral and you’re not looking at it. That’s how normal eyesight works 😑

To test this, I went into the lowest FPS/highest graphical fidelity spot I could find, and took a VR tour of my new Honda NSEEEEX!! I tested this whole foveated-whatever rendering out, figuring I would notice it in VR tours the most. I came up with goose eggs.

I think this whole whatever-rendering, in the context of Gran Turismo is fake news. Much like they told us in the PlayStation showcase of GT7, that the “drying line” was going to be created by the splashing of water away from the puddles and circuit 🙄

Yes, Polyphony digital has done a great job of graphically modeling the drying line, but it’s a pre-programmed and scalable drying line that has nothing to do with the actual hydrodynamics like they so claimed

Last edited:
I could make a video and prove it beyond any doubt but I’m sure someone already has. (Eye tracking / foveated rendering I mean). I’m not sure if you guys don’t understand what it means or don’t see the difference or what. It has nothing to do with the lenses. It’s the rendering.

Last edited:
BWX
I could make a video and prove it beyond any doubt but I’m sure someone already has. (Eye tracking / foveated rendering I mean). I’m not sure if you guys don’t understand what it means or don’t see the difference or what. It has nothing to do with the lenses. It’s the rendering.
I’d be curious to see a video.

I’m just not sure to whatever technology they’ve front-loaded the PSVR2 with, actually has any noticeable impact to the graphics rendering when viewed through the headset itself.

BWX is correct on the eye tracking, and it is extremely noticeable on the HUD in screenshots. So much so that if you are testing and screenshotting lap times you must be looking directly at the HUD or the photo is useless.

The trackside objects' double vision is from the motion reprojection causing images closest to perpendicular to the direction of travel to seemingly appear then disappear in different places as you pass by. There is a lot of information on the why and how this works in flight sim discussions if anyone is interested in the details.

Yeah you guys are confusing some stuff.

PSVR2s lenses do suck and have a very small sweet spot however that has nothing to do with eyetracking and FOVeated rendering.
Have someone else play GT7 in VR on your headset and watch it on your TV.
You can tell immediately when they are looking at the HUD and when they are not.

I know for me I don't feel like foveated rendering works well, although I've never ensured that it's on because I didn't know you could turn it off (I wouldn't, just didn't know that was a possibility). I do know that during the many times I've rechecked my calibration my eye tracking is always perfectly reactive.

I only play GT in VR, and have always had to physically move my head in the direction of things to get them in full resolution. For instance if I'm looking at what tires I currently have on the car I can't just look at them, I have to turn my head towards them... same goes for the text at the top of the screen and anything else peripherally. And this isn't blur, this is marked pixilation until I'm facing what I'm looking at.

It has never really bothered me much, although when looking at my MFD/weather/tires/etc. it would be nice to just glance at them and them pop into full res instead of me having to turn my head for them to be legible. Otherwise I still love the experience, and when you're driving the car the "natural" blur of reduced resolution is a total non-issue and feels normal even though things aren't super sharp.

TL;DR everything in my periphery is pixelated chunks, I don't think foveated rendering works well in my case.

Again, your peripheral view being blurry is a limitation of the lenses Sony went for and has nothing to do with eye tracking.
Eyetracking just ensures that wherever your eyes are pointed at is rendered at full res.
If that is outside of the lenses tiny sweet spot it’ll still be blurry.

Last edited:
Again, your peripheral view being blurry is a limitation of the lenses Sony went for and has nothing to do with eye tracking.
Eyetracking just ensures that wherever your eyes are pointed at is rendered at full res.
If that is outside of the lenses tiny sweet spot it’ll still be blurry.
Pretty stupid to front load unrealized technology on sub par lenses. That is, unless whatever the base architecture for PSVR2 will be pretty much the same for PSVR3 - which I’m sure Sony has already designed

Yeah if the lenses were better, foveated rendering would actually be more useful. It's just a performance enhancer really but I suppose it allows the part you are looking at to be rendered faster and at higher quality since the PS5 is saving graphic computational cycles on the parts of the screen you aren't looking at. Ity depends on what SOny / PD are doing with it.

I think people have vastly different experiences in the goggles for a lot of different reasons though. It seems like I can make the perceived sweet spot larger by adjusting the goggles closer to my eyes, but I have a relatively big nose! It seems like someone with a smaller nose (bridge of nose specifically) or different shaped face could get lenses even closer to their eyes, or someone with a bigger nose (bridge of nose specifically) and more "sunken" eyes would have a smaller perceived sweet spot. And also the more symmetrical your eyes are in your head seems like it would make a difference too. Those are just theories and I can't prove anything either way because I only have one face and one set of eyes/ brain to test 😆.

I can still see the blurring on the peripheral of my vision though but I think for some people it's worse, or even if not, it bugs them more. I can get used to it and still enjoy the experience but I can totally understand how for some people it would be a deal breaker.

If the PSVR2 had better lenses, the whole experience would be a lot better though. It's far from perfect, but for the price and a total package, it works well for me.
I'm ready to build a faster PC and get a Quest 3 or better VR headset with better lenses too though. And if Sony ever came out with an upgraded PSVR3 for PS5 Pro or PS6, I'd be all over it. That's probably very unlikely unfortunately.

Last edited:
Back