GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,513 comments
Dont worry you will overcome it soon enough.

Its very normal to get a little dizzy, and uncomfortable the first times you use it.

Just use it for very short sessions like 10 minutes to begin with, dont ever drive backwards, try to keep looking straight ahead, and close your eye's if you crash. If you get dizzy immediately stop playing, dont try to force through. Just take a break and come back some hours later or the next day.

Then after a few sessions you will be able to drive for much longer, and eventually you will be able to drive for hours without any problems.
I appreciate the feedback, this is very good to hear. Honestly the short play times and slight motion sickness weren't a dealbreaker for me anyways but I am thrilled to hear it will improve over time.

I've yet to plug mine in but really excited to jump into GT7 this weekend and check out the new update in VR... It's been 6 months since I tried my brothers headset out so I am itching to experience it again.

I appreciate the feedback, this is very good to hear. Honestly the short play times and slight motion sickness weren't a dealbreaker for me anyways but I am thrilled to hear it will improve over time.

I've yet to plug mine in but really excited to jump into GT7 this weekend and check out the new update in VR... It's been 6 months since I tried my brothers headset out so I am itching to experience it again.

Don't rush to make the experience worse for yourself, but rather

Do take it slowly and enjoy the time with it...

One of the best experiences is just to sit in the car on the track under a full sun... And you can repeat the experience with every single car, they will be different!

Enjoy them on the airport parking lot
Enjoy them in the legendary car dealership hallway
Enjoy sitting in each car everywhere you can...

You don't even have to drive...
That's the beauty with PSVR2 and GT7

No other game offers that....
The experience is worth it in itself in my eyes...

Last edited:
I completely agree, there is a lot of enjoyment to be found in "simple" things like that. The first thing I did in GT7 when I tried VR was not even a race but rather I looked at the cars in the walk-around mode and that was enough to sell me on it.

I'd say those are the kind of experiences I enjoy the most in VR, the ones you take slow and take it all in. Seeing your favorite cars right in front of you is pretty special.

I completely agree, there is a lot of enjoyment to be found in "simple" things like that. The first thing I did in GT7 when I tried VR was not even a race but rather I looked at the cars in the walk-around mode and that was enough to sell me on it.

I'd say those are the kind of experiences I enjoy the most in VR, the ones you take slow and take it all in. Seeing your favorite cars right in front of you is pretty special.
I do a lot of the simple stuff too like car walk around and replays and still got the motion sickness really bad last weekend... havn't done a proper race in VR for a while, am overdue for some races but keep getting sick within 15 min...its weird because it would take about an hour 30 with my PSVR1 before I got dizzy

I know for me I don't feel like foveated rendering works well, although I've never ensured that it's on because I didn't know you could turn it off (I wouldn't, just didn't know that was a possibility). I do know that during the many times I've rechecked my calibration my eye tracking is always perfectly reactive.

I only play GT in VR, and have always had to physically move my head in the direction of things to get them in full resolution. For instance if I'm looking at what tires I currently have on the car I can't just look at them, I have to turn my head towards them... same goes for the text at the top of the screen and anything else peripherally. And this isn't blur, this is marked pixilation until I'm facing what I'm looking at.

It has never really bothered me much, although when looking at my MFD/weather/tires/etc. it would be nice to just glance at them and them pop into full res instead of me having to turn my head for them to be legible. Otherwise I still love the experience, and when you're driving the car the "natural" blur of reduced resolution is a total non-issue and feels normal even though things aren't super sharp.

TL;DR everything in my periphery is pixelated chunks, I don't think foveated rendering works well in my case.
Exactly. IMHO foveated rendering and eye tracking are two different things.
I use ps vr2 mainly with gt7 and 👁️ tracking is not working. You must move your head to sharply see things around you. Not just eye as you do when calibrating eye tracking.

Or make custom race with my favorite veteran cars from 60’ 70’ 🚗🚙🚓🚕 and just have a ride with them, no need for racingLooking 👀 around as you pass near other cars. Enjoying interior of my car. No HUD needed. My favorite racing is also without HUD if the race is simple enough. Or just turning HUD on and off during the race.amazing experience 😀😻

Two different issues. Small sweet spot, and foveated rendering. You'll see higher resolution where your pupil is pointed toward your periphery as the foveated rendering increases the resolution in that area. But it won't be as clear as looking at something through the sweet spot as you are benfitting both from the higher resolution of the foveated rendering and the greater clarity of the 'sweet spot.' The closer you can get the lenses to your eyes, the greater the size of the sweet spot.

Sony (for reasons no-doubt out of their control…probably related to the pandemic from a supply chain issue for them [perhaps why we ended up with crappy lenses] and other Devs not being able to dedicate the time to making their game PSVR2 compatible [most likely do to man hour and work restriction issues])

…did a really crappy job promoting and rolling this whole PSVR2 thing out. I really hope Sony doesn’t take a hook on the future of VR or else I’m not playing another non-VR Gran Turismo title again. It’s really that good, and that much of a difference.

I do however vaguely remember a quip from Kaz a while back, where he said the future of this title largely lies in VR. So here’s to hoping..

Edit:
It’s honestly still baffling why PD/Sony doesn’t do their own in house promotion by holding VR races at live events. Just give them to the contestants already there and let it rip…then let the contestants talk about the experience afterwards

😑
They’d need to test that out before the event. A contestant throwing up isn’t a good look.

And after making that hostage (by Sony) statement, he proceeded to not update "the future" for over a year and not provide the minimum information needed in-race to use the headset. 🤣
Having had put a ton of hours into the psvr1 I figured the psvr2 would be overhyped as they did the psvr1. I remember thinking id be able to play the full game and wasnt sure they mentioned that in game play footage. Wasnt on the forum then and got it at launch but it would have been fun to post in a gtsport and psvr1 thread

Last edited:
The eye tracking works great for me.. and I’m still amazed how great this experience is. I just wish we had a delta then it would be perfect for me!
I don't expect PD to update the PSVR2 support but IF they do... In addition to your request, I hope the PS5 Pro can increase the LOD distance. The pop-in on PSVR2 is distracting but not gameplay impacting.

I have a few questions:

1. How did you introduce your friend? Did you put them behind the wheel of a car right away? Did you start with the showroom?
  2. The car they drove, what was it?
  3. What track did you begin with?
I ask these questions because each time I've introduced someone to GT7 on the PSVR2, I've done my best to make it as comfortable as possible and try to set up for success.

I have a cousin who was born in the 1950s whom I introduced to the PSVR2. I began with the usual setup (calibration, etc.) before directing us to the used car lot. My aunt used to have a VW bug; it was the first car I had my cousin sit in. Not drive, just sit.

By doing this with several cars (UCD, Brand Central, Haggle-tees) my goal was to allow the person to acclimate to the VR experience before even thinking of putting them in a moving car.

That nausea can be an instant deal breaker.

After that, once they've gotten used to seeing things in V.R., I put whomever it is in a small, slow convertible. I go over the tips in the GT Planet article for getting used to V.R. and I haven't had an issue with anyone yet.

Actually, it's been all smiles and "When can I come back and try this again" and the like.

Remember: You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Granted that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

I think I was introducing VR the safe way.

Did Calibration.
Then VR Showroom, felt ok .
Then 2 laps at Grand Valley with Miata convertible.

The first impression is spoiled.
He won't try it again anytime soon.

I think I was introducing VR the safe way.

Did Calibration.
Then VR Showroom, felt ok .
Then 2 laps at Grand Valley with Miata convertible.

The first impression is spoiled.
He won't try it again anytime soon.
Haha, that's funny. Literally the very first thing I did in VR was a slow cruise in an NA Miata at Grand Valley!

Howdy happy PSVR2 users, I've just bought a PSVR2 from a neighbor, still under warranty, with the bill and all, for a nice price.

I am wearing glasses, and I plan to get prescription lenses. Apparently, Hons VR has good feedbacks from you and other people on the internet.

The neighbor told me that I can use it without glasses because my prescription is mainly to correct far sight and he says that the vision inside PSVR2 is short vision, which I doubt. And indeed when I tested at his place, I could not get a clear image, which was more obvious when there was text displayed (despite adjusting the headset to align the eyes to the sweetspot)

I plan to use my glasses while waiting for my future lenses, I'd take any info or piece of advice to enjoy as much as possible this new rather expensive toy.

I played a little to test at his home and despite some moments where I felt weird balance, I did not felt motion sickness, but I may if I drive longer. I already have some experience with VR headset (PSVR1 and Quest 2)

Howdy happy PSVR2 users, I've just bought a PSVR2 from a neighbor, still under warranty, with the bill and all, for a nice price.

I am wearing glasses, and I plan to get prescription lenses. Apparently, Hons VR has good feedbacks from you and other people on the internet.

The neighbor told me that I can use it without glasses because my prescription is mainly to correct far sight and he says that the vision inside PSVR2 is short vision, which I doubt. And indeed when I tested at his place, I could not get a clear image, which was more obvious when there was text displayed (despite adjusting the headset to align the eyes to the sweetspot)

I plan to use my glasses while waiting for my future lenses, I'd take any info or piece of advice to enjoy as much as possible this new rather expensive toy.

I played a little to test at his home and despite some moments where I felt weird balance, I did not felt motion sickness, but I may if I drive longer. I already have some experience with VR headset (PSVR1 and Quest 2)
It's not a big 'learning curve' for your brain to get used to the motions, so it sounds like you are probably good to go there.

I will say the text is often blurry unless it directly in front of you. So tiling your head down/up/left/right a little may help. In addition to the eye distance test, try raising the headset so that it sits higher on your forehead. That helps me the most and before I got my newer cushion inserts, I had to raise the headset up a little every hour or so (plus I don't have it super tight on my head to avoid headaches).

I've not installed my honsvr lenses yet, I may try them out soon though as I should have more time to play.

GL and have fun!

Jerome

The VR picture is set to a fixed focus distance of about 2m, which is why you need to send a lens insert company your distance prescription. If you wear varifocal glasses, your brain will try and refocus your eyes when you look at the car's dashboard, but as the focal distance is fixed at 2m, your brain will effectively be turning the image you see all blurry. It is for this reason that as you slowly start to get used to racing in VR, so everything will gradually start to get sharper, and those pesky headaches will gradually desist. It’s not the headset getting sharper with updates, it’s just your brain slowly learning that the focus sweet-spot for every virtual distance is a fixed 2m.

I will say the text is often blurry unless it directly in front of you. So tiling your head down/up/left/right a little may help.
Yes I am used to that with my Quest, so I tried to adjust the headset and looked to text directly in front but that was not very good (without my glasses). Hence why I doubt my neighbor opinion about not needing glasses to correct for far vision, I think he mixes the physical distance (which is very short) and the perceived distance of the image (which as @roytheboy is saying is 2m so not short vision)

Did a test at my place tonight, after setting the headset correctly (including the pupillary distance) and using my glasses, it was wayyyyy better.

But I'll enjoy the prescription lenses, I have a lot of reflections on my glasses, and I'll be able to put the lenses closer (I remained careful with the glasses so I did not push too much back).

As I am doing most of the TTs, I practiced a bit the one on Spa with a Gr.3 car that ends tomorrow. Lap times were bad, but experience was nice, only Eau-Rouge was messing with my brain and inner ear, other than that I was feeling ok.

Done 5 laps this way, then 5 laps on the flat screen, immediately gained lot of seconds. It will take time to be as fast with the headset, but it is really a different experience.

I think I'll get quickly used to it and feel 100% well, for the speed on the other hand, I think it'll take more time.

Last edited:
As someone now used to racing in only VR, all my shock and awe goes to people who race in 2d. I just cant understand how they do it, even though I used to do it too.
People also used to throw sticks at Mammoth.
I group these humans in the same set. Impressive but....the Mammoth died out.
I'm not sure what lessons we can learn from that regarding 2d racing, other than, best not to unless your survival depends on it.
I hope that translates to French ok.

Last edited:
Back