GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,513 comments
Pretty stupid to front load unrealized technology on sub par lenses. That is, unless whatever the base architecture for PSVR2 will be pretty much the same for PSVR3 - which I’m sure Sony has already designed
I’d be surprised if we ever get a PSVR3. My impression is Sony wants out.

Hope I’m wrong cause boy do I love GT7 in VR.

I’d be surprised if we ever get a PSVR3. My impression is Sony wants out.

Hope I’m wrong cause boy do I love GT7 in VR.

Sony (for reasons no-doubt out of their control…probably related to the pandemic from a supply chain issue for them [perhaps why we ended up with crappy lenses] and other Devs not being able to dedicate the time to making their game PSVR2 compatible [most likely do to man hour and work restriction issues])

…did a really crappy job promoting and rolling this whole PSVR2 thing out. I really hope Sony doesn’t take a hook on the future of VR or else I’m not playing another non-VR Gran Turismo title again. It’s really that good, and that much of a difference.

I do however vaguely remember a quip from Kaz a while back, where he said the future of this title largely lies in VR. So here’s to hoping..

Edit:
It’s honestly still baffling why PD/Sony doesn’t do their own in house promotion by holding VR races at live events. Just give them to the contestants already there and let it rip…then let the contestants talk about the experience afterwards

😑

Last edited:
Yeah the way they rolled it out and promoted it is baffling to me too. But since they have so much data on not just how many people bought it, but how much people actually use it, maybe they didn't see enough of a market there. The problem is if people don't use it as much as Sony would have liked, it may be Sony's fault for not promoting and supporting it as much as they could have. It does seem like the pandemic might have really hurt their initial plans. They're so secretive though sometimes, so it's hard to know how big their plans were and how much they gave up on.

I’m 100% right there with you.

If Sony were to drop VR I’d get a PC and look for alternatives there.

There’s no going back for me.

I really do hope that next GT game will have PC release with VR mode. Because chances are slim for vr support in future titles.

I know for me I don't feel like foveated rendering works well, although I've never ensured that it's on because I didn't know you could turn it off (I wouldn't, just didn't know that was a possibility). I do know that during the many times I've rechecked my calibration my eye tracking is always perfectly reactive.

I only play GT in VR, and have always had to physically move my head in the direction of things to get them in full resolution. For instance if I'm looking at what tires I currently have on the car I can't just look at them, I have to turn my head towards them... same goes for the text at the top of the screen and anything else peripherally. And this isn't blur, this is marked pixilation until I'm facing what I'm looking at.

It has never really bothered me much, although when looking at my MFD/weather/tires/etc. it would be nice to just glance at them and them pop into full res instead of me having to turn my head for them to be legible. Otherwise I still love the experience, and when you're driving the car the "natural" blur of reduced resolution is a total non-issue and feels normal even though things aren't super sharp.

TL;DR everything in my periphery is pixelated chunks, I don't think foveated rendering works well in my case.
foveated rendering can be turned off for GT7 ?
Is it even implemented in GT7 ?
Is that something that is in control of PD and Kaz or the rendering (when turned on) handled by the PS5 rather than in the GT7 codes?
Where is the boundaries of responsibility lies ?

If you can turn it off, then why not do so, and check ?
Sorry I am not fully cought up with the discussion.

But i need a pc!

All i have is a bunch of ridiculously over priced mac’s here ><
Build one…i made mine first time last month for <$1000 it was actually pretty easy. I did have to troubleshoot some OS errors due but fixed once i dusted off my old IT skills from 98 lol.

I made it for fun not really for any gaming but it benchmarked pretty high so i might game with it.

Im a little upset at the $100 tag for this adapter but whatever

Last edited:
?

The estimates based on similar tech were $100+ so this is actually a surprise.
Its $50 tech...sure if think its worth buying the $100 adapter w/ $600 headset just to play games on PC you might want to consider getting the latest Occulus ...im saying this as someone with a good amount of disposable income

Edit...lol i see sony has reduced the price on their website by $100, i see what they did there

Last edited:
Its $50 tech...sure if think its worth buying the $100 adapter w/ $600 headset just to play games on PC you might want to consider getting the latest Occulus ...im saying this as someone with a good amount of disposable income

Edit...lol i see sony has reduced the price on their website by $100, i see what they did there
again, it doesn’t cost $100, it’s $60.

Oh yes! I'm expecting a PS VR2 for my upcoming birthday to use with GT7 but it was a tough sell to get it for only GT7. Now I can consider using it for ACC on my PC which I haven't really explored yet as I can only do single screen and find the in cockpit a bit restrictive. Hoping the VR will resolve that.

Any idea if Automoblista 2 will support this? I think it will so Road America in the Porsche 922 GT3 RS in VR could be a dream.

Last edited:
Another reminder that this is the GT7 PSVR2 thread in the GT7 forum.

General PSVR2 talk should go in the thread below.

Last edited:
Had a friend visiting last weekend, finally had a chance to make him try gt7 and psvr2 after me talking about it for months... Well it did not go well, 2 laps and it was enough, he felt off and nauseous. "This thing will never catch on" was his comments.

Made me realize Im lucky to be able to use the headset for long period of play without issue, but it really is not for everyone yet.

Had a friend visiting last weekend, finally had a chance to make him try gt7 and psvr2 after me talking about it for months... Well it did not go well, 2 laps and it was enough, he felt off and nauseous. "This thing will never catch on" was his comments.

Made me realize Im lucky to be able to use the headset for long period of play without issue, but it really is not for everyone yet.
That was exactly the reaction from my dad, he is in his early 70s.

He said it was the works of the devil and proceed to forbid me from using that ever again, told me it would mess up my brain 🧠

I can't, I am hooked on VR2.
The only drawback for me is: after about 15min 20 mins my eyes are strained and I start to see blurry...
I think I personally have a condition that strains my pupil if I constantly have to focus my eyes onto screen very close, less than 10 cm away...

Otherwise I have no more problems with VR2 or any issue with dizziness like at the very beginning

Last edited:

wheel or controller?
I’ve put some people who enjoy driving on fun roads into my setup and most have been ducks to water.

I could see how a controller would be more challenging if you had any susceptibilities.

Also! Its worth repeating that keeping the lenses vertically perpendicular to the eye is just as important as horizontally when it comes to things being fuzzy.

All this being said, i can see how bigger lens/screens, better fps(sony has 240fps on their camera view finders for reference) and a more robust image stabilization, will fix most peoples issues. Eventually.

When I used it for the first time with GT7 I was unable to play for more than maybe 15-30 minutes at a time, but my brother insists that over time you will adjust to headset and won't feel motion sickness as much or at all.

I just the other day bought myself a PSVR2 and hoping that is indeed true.

wheel or controller?
I’ve put some people who enjoy driving on fun roads into my setup and most have been ducks to water.

I could see how a controller would be more challenging if you had any susceptibilities.

Also! Its worth repeating that keeping the lenses vertically perpendicular to the eye is just as important as horizontally when it comes to things being fuzzy.

All this being said, i can see how bigger lens/screens, better fps(sony has 240fps on their camera view finders for reference) and a more robust image stabilization, will fix most peoples issues. Eventually.
Wheel and playseat Evo, I made sure the headset was calibrated correctly...

I should add, few months ago, My neighbors tried it too, he had a blast and he felt great after.

It really depends on the individual.

That was exactly the reaction from my dad, he is in his early 70s.

He said it was the works of the devil and proceed to forbid me from using that ever again, told me it would mess up my brain 🧠

I can't, I am hooked on VR2.
The only drawback for me is: after about 15min 20 mins my eyes are strained and I start to see blurry...
I think I personally have a condition that strains my pupil if I constantly have to focus my eyes onto screen very close, less than 10 cm away...

Otherwise I have no more problems with VR2 or any issue with dizziness like at the very beginning
The focal distance is something like 2 meters. I had laser eye corrective surgery over decade ago, and then I got old, and need readers for anything really close up, it's called Presbyopia. Everyone will get it eventually with age but my laser surgery made it worse.
So I can't focus close up if I had to and can use PSVR2 just fine, so you don't need to focus close up using PSVR2.

I used to have microscopes for eyes basically because I was so near sighted, and I always wondered how it would be in the VR goggles if I was looking at something close up in VR (like an interior of a car), but tried to focus close up on it, but you can't because the focal distance is 2 meters. Seems like that would cause eye strain too.

BWX
The focal distance is something like 2 meters. I had laser eye corrective surgery over decade ago, and then I got old, and need readers for anything really close up, it's called Presbyopia. Everyone will get it eventually with age but my laser surgery made it worse.
So I can't focus close up if I had to and can use PSVR2 just fine, so you don't need to focus close up using PSVR2.

I used to have microscopes for eyes basically because I was so near sighted, and I always wondered how it would be in the VR goggles if I was looking at something close up in VR (like an interior of a car), but tried to focus close up on it, but you can't because the focal distance is 2 meters. Seems like that would cause eye strain too.
Yeah. That locked focal isn’t great, and definitely causes fatigue.

I have a few questions:

1. How did you introduce your friend? Did you put them behind the wheel of a car right away? Did you start with the showroom?
  2. The car they drove, what was it?
  3. What track did you begin with?
I ask these questions because each time I've introduced someone to GT7 on the PSVR2, I've done my best to make it as comfortable as possible and try to set up for success.

I have a cousin who was born in the 1950s whom I introduced to the PSVR2. I began with the usual setup (calibration, etc.) before directing us to the used car lot. My aunt used to have a VW bug; it was the first car I had my cousin sit in. Not drive, just sit.

By doing this with several cars (UCD, Brand Central, Haggle-tees) my goal was to allow the person to acclimate to the VR experience before even thinking of putting them in a moving car.

That nausea can be an instant deal breaker.

After that, once they've gotten used to seeing things in V.R., I put whomever it is in a small, slow convertible. I go over the tips in the GT Planet article for getting used to V.R. and I haven't had an issue with anyone yet.

Actually, it's been all smiles and "When can I come back and try this again" and the like.

Remember: You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Granted that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Edit:
I quoted the wrong post, sorry @CMB350

This is the correct post:
I have a few questions:

1. How did you introduce your friend? Did you put them behind the wheel of a car right away? Did you start with the showroom?
  2. The car they drove, what was it?
  3. What track did you begin with?
I ask these questions because each time I've introduced someone to GT7 on the PSVR2, I've done my best to make it as comfortable as possible and try to set up for success.

I have a cousin who was born in the 1950s whom I introduced to the PSVR2. I began with the usual setup (calibration, etc.) before directing us to the used car lot. My aunt used to have a VW bug; it was the first car I had my cousin sit in. Not drive, just sit.

By doing this with several cars (UCD, Brand Central, Haggle-tees) my goal was to allow the person to acclimate to the VR experience before even thinking of putting them in a moving car.

That nausea can be an instant deal breaker.

After that, once they've gotten used to seeing things in V.R., I put whomever it is in a small, slow convertible. I go over the tips in the GT Planet article for getting used to V.R. and I haven't had an issue with anyone yet.

Actually, it's been all smiles and "When can I come back and try this again" and the like.

Remember: You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Granted that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Exactly the process for non gamers, non car enthusiast

Start them slow. Let them enjoy sitting inside the car, not moving at all, let them drive the slowest car possible without racing, do TT...

Last edited:
Kayak VR is a great game to introduce newcomers to VR. I think the controllers mimic the paddle so well that it "grounds" them so they don't feel too floaty or like they're having a crazy out-of-body experience. A sim rig with wheel can have the same effect. And when they touch something with the paddle they feel it in the controller so it kind of connects everything for them. Plus you aren't driving down the road at 100 mph up and down hills which even got to me a little the very first time I tried VR in GT7, and I never get motion sickness, even doing wing-overs as a passenger in a sailplane for the first time. If felt weird but I didn't get woozy.

I would avoid any form of forward motion when introducing newcomers to VR.

I found Job Simulator to be an excellent introduction.

My cousin and his son (41 and 18) whom I've grown up riding dirtbikes with, and are super active outgoing people were both only able to get a couple of laps in before they tapped out. On the other hand my partners niece played it for literally over 5 hrs straight and she was fine... and pretty quick after a bit.

I hesitate to say "It's not for everyone", but it does take some people longer than others to get used to it. Another cousin of mine works crating VR/AR training properties for corporate and government use and has had pretty much every available VR headset ever made, so I have had a lot of chances to get used to the feelings of VR in a lot of different settings. Even still, there were moments that caused feelings of nausea and shaky legs. For sure if you don't have everything optimized for the best viewing it can lead to not feeling well.

I'd say for everyone wanting to give it a go though it may take some time going through short sessions and working your way into longer play times. When I first got my VR2 and played GT7 there was still a little bit of a learning curve as my stomach and eyes figured out what was going on. Big drops were the thing that made my stomach jump a little.

As others have mentioned having a fan on helps some people as well.

When I used it for the first time with GT7 I was unable to play for more than maybe 15-30 minutes at a time, but my brother insists that over time you will adjust to headset and won't feel motion sickness as much or at all.

I just the other day bought myself a PSVR2 and hoping that is indeed true.
Dont worry you will overcome it soon enough.

Its very normal to get a little dizzy, and uncomfortable the first times you use it.

Just use it for very short sessions like 10 minutes to begin with, dont ever drive backwards, try to keep looking straight ahead, and close your eye's if you crash. If you get dizzy immediately stop playing, dont try to force through. Just take a break and come back some hours later or the next day.

Then after a few sessions you will be able to drive for much longer, and eventually you will be able to drive for hours without any problems.

Back