GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
If they can, they will see me head banging like in Wayne's World.

I’ll be looking for a licorice dispenser in the GT Auto “Car Customization” section as well.

…But seriously, this was my reaction upon watching the GTplanet.com review on the YouTube’s.

387D6BB7-7915-4313-AADC-94B4F5F0D5E3.gif

Last edited:
Kaz Famitsu interview about psvr2
In fact, support for PSVR 2 was something we had in mind when we started developing Gran Turismo 7. In other words, it was originally produced on the premise of corresponding to VR. Therefore, Gran Turismo 7 was created as VR native in advance. Think of this as almost synonymous with running the game at 4K 60. In order to move the image with that image quality and speed, you have to make the data fairly light. The resolution of the original PS VR machine was low, so even if it was properly rendered, we couldn't solve the problems of motion sickness caused by the resolution and the unnaturalness of distant objects being unclear. This time, the resolution of the head-mounted display panel and the power of the PS5 have improved the drawing ability, and it has become possible to solve it. In addition to being able to output 60fps at normal times, panning and tilting can also be rendered at 120 FPS with reprojection, greatly improving image quality. First of all, I think that racing games are highly compatible with VR. The car moves according to your operation while you are sitting. The movement of the car is mainly in the front-rear direction, and the movement in the left-right direction is restricted. For example, you can't move from a stationary state to the side. You can basically think of it as moving forward. When you turn the steering wheel, the car slowly turns. It does so of its own volition. In addition, we have expressed beautiful scenery and real circuits around the world through the successive works of Gran Turismo, but no matter how elaborate it is, there is always a limit to what can be expressed through a TV monitor. I was Now, with PSVR 2, you can now experience the real scenery by driving the Nürburgring, Tsukuba Circuit, and various other courses. I myself believe that we have achieved the best VR experience that can be obtained in the current situation. Each Gran Turismo series, we have poured most of the available rendering resources into the expression of the car. Even in the current PS5 generation, it is made with much over-spec details. I intend to make it more suitable for future hardware than the PS5. Actually, I was talking to the person in charge of hardware from the stage of deciding the specifications of PSVR 2. In general, I feel that it meets all the specifications currently required. I think a new era has begun for Yamauchi racing games. It can be said that it is a great progress that the driving experience and the driving experience itself can now be the same as the real thing.

snc
Each Gran Turismo series, we have poured most of the available rendering resources into the expression of the car. Even in the current PS5 generation, it is made with much over-spec details. I intend to make it more suitable for future hardware than the PS5.
Not this again, Kaz...

Last edited:
@Jordan, does the game show you any kind of HUD while playing in VR mode or is it all turned off? If not, can you display and still flick through stuff like the radar or BB control?

JB Hi Fi $879 AUD

EB Games $880

BIG W $879

After reading that I’ve now pre ordered, can’t wait……. 🙌🏻🙌🏻
Their preorders are going to sky-rocket. After launch sales will be crazy, too.

Then people will be complaining about lack of supply 😀

JB Hi Fi $879 AUD

EB Games $880

BIG W $879
I've preordered from Harvey Norman. $879.

In rewatching GTP's video, I noticed Jordan mention that seeing the camber of the road is easier. I can't wrap my head around that is but it's something that most certainly would help me drive better.
You have depth perception in VR so yeah. The first track everyone should try on the headset is Laguna Seca, you really don't get a feel of how much of a drop the corkscrew is on a flat screen.

Last edited:
I'm glad for those people who'll get their first experience in VR with GT7. As for me, PC VR is better for me, because there are more racing games with VR support for PC, which didn't have VR support for PSVR1 all these years due low perfomance of the PS4

Is it possible to West glasses inside the vr or can it adjust to your sight?
Yes, you could definitely wear glasses with the headset. A button allows you to move the "eye piece" closer to / away from your face.
Really excited for this. I have a question though.

Let's say I'm sitting at my sim rig, with my wheel and screen in front of me as normal. Will I be able to load the game as normal and navigate the menus and then put on the head set when loading into a race, or is it expected to load the game with the headset on and do all navigation. Basically is there seamless transition between "screen mode" and "vr mode" or are they treated separately even though the full game is accessible in both modes?

EDIT: As a follow up I suppose the obvious question is what if anything is shown on the screen when you are using the vr headset?
Yes, switching back and forth is seamless. What the player is seeing in VR is shown on the TV simultaneously.
snc
@Jordan do you know what with few vision cars without internal cockpit view modeled ?
I was curious about that, but didn't have time to check it out. We'll just have to wait and see.
@Jordan, the Dynamic Scapes works like a normal TV, right?
I presume Dynamic Scapes will be in "TV mode", but cannot confirm as I was moving through the game quickly.

From my current understanding, the VR modes are:
  • All gameplay
  • VR Showroom
  • VR Replays
I did try VR Replays but did not discuss them in the article/video. Basically, it's like being a stationary track-side observer who teleports to different locations. You can look around and watch the cars drive by. It's simple, but pretty cool.
Looks phenomenal! Just one question I had.. will another player (or in replays) be able to see your head moving inside the car as you look around the screen?
That's a great question. I don't know!

It would be interesting if this is implemented in online races. I liked being able to look into the windows of cars as they drive next to you, and you can see the interior and the driver. It would be quite fun if they were looking back at you, but I was just doing offline arcade races with the AI.
@Jordan I really enjoyed your impressions! I'm happy that I have PSVR2 pre-ordered.

However, as a DD-Pro owner, I noticed that you weren't using that wheel while demo'ing the game. That surprised me somewhat as I (possibly mistakingly so) assume that the DD-Pro was the official wheel for GT7. With the controversial FFB implementation involving the DD-Pro, this didn't make me feel optimistic about it changing any time soon.

Could you blink once FFB woes were mentioned to PD.
Blink twice if I should remain optimistic. :lol:

Thanks again!
Don't worry about it too much or read too much into it. This was a very small preview. It's worth noting there is no "official GT7 wheel", just "officially licensed GT wheels" from Thrustmaster and Fanatec. The T-GT is probably just the wheel they had around the office at HQ.
I’m still curious about one thing in VR: how are the mirrors? I’ve tried VR with PC sim titles, and in most if not all of them, because I don’t remember everything, the mirrors are not actually mirrors, they are rather more like displays that connect to cameras fixed to the car looking backwards, because moving my head don’t change the perspective in the mirror. It’ll be great if the mirrors in GT7 VR are actual mirrors, I couldn’t quite tell from the limited flattened footages. I suspect they are not, because currently the perspective shown in the mirror doesn’t change based on the position of camera in flat screen replay mode.
That's another good question, but I'm fairly sure they are just "fixed".

On the subject of mirrors: the content in the mirrors did look good (probably thanks to foveated rendering). I found myself referencing them a lot to see what was going on behind me. It feels so much more natural than looking at the giant rear-view mirror in the bumper-cam's HUD.
It looks like all locations from gt cafe cinematics will be available as a showroom.

This is good news. I didn't check the Cafe during my demo or see the other locations, but did notice the VR Showroom environments changed. I looked at cars in Brand Central and the Legends Dealership.

I really liked VR Showroom.
@Jordan, does the game show you any kind of HUD while playing in VR mode or is it all turned off? If not, can you display and still flick through stuff like the radar or BB control?
I have PSVR1 and have pre ordered PSVR2. One thing I wanted to ask is whether the normal control buttons for the MFD are accessible from the steering wheel (I have a T-GT) while playing in VR.

On GTSport time trial mode in VR, I have no way to access the number real MFD adjustments for TC, Brake Bias, Fuel mix etc. so I’m hoping things happen when you turn the dials on the physical wheel. If so, so it pop up a HUD menu overlay while the adjust Kent’s are made?
Yes, a floating HUD is displayed. The MFD appears as a small floating menu off to the right and can be adjusted as normal during gameplay.
In rewatching GTP's video, I noticed Jordan mention that seeing the camber of the road is easier. I can't wrap my head around that is but it's something that most certainly would help me drive better.
Three-dimensional effects, to me at least, seem to be one of the least frequently discussed aspects of VR. But when you're wearing it, I think it's one of the most consequential. It's not just about being able to look around yourself with a wide field of view, but being able to see depth and perspective. Things like elevation changes and distances are much, much more apparent.

God, it looks so good! Very jealous of those of you getting it at launch.
I've got a major concern thought... How the hell is that we are in 2023 and still nobody had the time travel machine to get working?... :?
If they can, they will see me head banging like in Wayne's World.
I’ll be looking for a licorice dispenser in the GT Auto “Car Customization” section as well.

…But seriously, this was my reaction upon watching the GTplanet.com review on the YouTube’s.

View attachment 1227893
Men of culture!!! :cheers:

In fact, this object must be interesting in shooting games. Now in driving games where it is essential not to look away from the road... I think its is dispensable.
VR was meant for racing games. You feel like in the car with the stereoscopic 3D and the possibility to look at 360 degrees. Not only you can watch the perfectly reproduced cockpits but you can also watch your mirrors naturally or just staring at the corner-exits like in real life. It totally change the experience from just a game to a really convincing driving experience! I've played a lot of VR games and racing is one of the very best experiences you can have in VR with shooting games, but the the fact that you are sitting in the car and not walking with a stick makes it even more immersive!
You have depth perception in VR so yeah. The first track everyone should try on the headset is Laguna Seca, you really don't get a feel of how much of a drop the corkscrew is on a flat screen.
Lago Maggiore's big drop is quite impressive too, but Road Atlanta will be a blast for sure, especially with the day/night cycle. Will look so great in VR!

Last edited:
Back