GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Does anyone know if you can run psvr2 without the PS5 being hooked up to a tv? Not just gt7 but the PS5 home screen and being able to boot up with the headset as the primary display.

For room scale vr games the only spot I have would mean hooking the PS5 up to my projector, I don't really want to be running a 300w projector bulb if I'm not even looking at the screen.

Does anyone know if you can run psvr2 without the PS5 being hooked up to a tv? Not just gt7 but the PS5 home screen and being able to boot up with the headset as the primary display.

For room scale vr games the only spot I have would mean hooking the PS5 up to my projector, I don't really want to be running a 300w projector bulb if I'm not even looking at the screen.
Everything indicates that you can use the PS5 without a TV. I think it's even been mentioned in a video or two.

Love the enthusiasm. :lol:
It's going to be sweet to relive my drive around the circuit. Driving just under 60km/h was daunting enough. Doing better than 200km/h will have to be unreal(no pun intended) now.

Our dear leader is convinced, and so we the people have no other choice but follow.

The hype train is fast and furious, 20 more days!!!

Ideally I am ready to buy the whole set up now,
Switch from PS4 to PS5 + VRP

Realistically, I cannot commit to play and enjoy it right now, due to adult responsibilities.

So this will have to be a mandatory Christmas 2023 Santa Claus wish list and ultimately self purchase for me, since the misses will more than unlikely get it or approve the purchase.

If I start putting $100 aside every month now, in 10 month, I will have enough to get the PS5 slim ;) and the PSVR2 whole set up... To complete my racing wheel setup...

I am ready for all of it...
I will just make sure I will get a good headphone to go along

EXCITED TO THE MAX !!!

Hey all. First post on this site after many years of surfing. I've been a long time fan of VR racing with all the PC sims. Assetto Corsa is still my absolute fave and holds up even today with all the graphic mods. I'm using a Reverb G2 and Fanatec DD with Heusinkveld Sprint pedals. I've heard a lot of good things about the PSVR2 in the VR community, but thought that it would never have anything to do with me since I'm all in PC. However, after seeing that GT7 has FULL support and runs incredibly well, as verified by several people, I had to make the plunge this evening. PS5, PSVR2, GT7 and Fanatec PS5 wheel, pedals and shifter all ordered tonight. This game is going to be incredible. Much of my time in VR racing games is admiring the time the makers put into their car models and interiors. However sometimes the bad ones look like 25 polygons with 125kb textures. To have VR access to GT7 car models and detail, well, it's certainly worth it to me. I'll see you guys out there and let's do some hot lap challenges! ;)

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of good things about the PSVR2 in the VR community, but thought that it would never have anything to do with me since I'm all in PC.
I am a former PCVR sim racer, and hypothesized a while back in this thread that the PS5+GT7+PS VR2 combo would be impressive enough to be a convincing alternative. And I saw lots of similar comments to yours being made today. Good times.

These previews have got me hyped. Can't wait to try this out later in the month.

In the new footage it was already really cool seeing details like the cord dangling and moving underneath the MP4/4's steering wheel. I had never noticed that before. It'll be exciting to look inside these cars in VR and see all the small details they've put into the models.

Last edited:
I'm excited to hear what the people who've never tried VR think when they first see it. It was a total life changer for me, as I've played video games for my entire life (Unboxing Pong brought home from Sears). I was expecting just to see a screen right in front of my eyes that rotated when I looked around. I was unprepared and blown away by that stereoscopic view that makes you feel like you are actually there in that world. I always get giddy when someone comes over and tries my sim rig for the first time and just says "Nooo Waaaay!" and slowly looks around.

I wonder if custom liveries display in VR? No reason why not I guess but I haven’t seen anything yet.
Watch from 7:20 👍

And they display in races too!

I'm excited to hear what the people who've never tried VR think when they first see it. It was a total life changer for me, as I've played video games for my entire life (Unboxing Pong brought home from Sears). I was expecting just to see a screen right in front of my eyes that rotated when I looked around. I was unprepared and blown away by that stereoscopic view that makes you feel like you are actually there in that world. I always get giddy when someone comes over and tries my sim rig for the first time and just says "Nooo Waaaay!" and slowly looks around.
I think that those "VR" adapters for smartphone did some bad to VR industry. Many people might actually think that it's what VR looks like and I'm quite sure that many people don't even imagine that it's all stereoscopic 3D.

Last edited:
OK, time to rain on everyone's parade LOL. This is minor in the grand scheme of things but I will be the unsavory character to point this out (others have already questioned this in this thread).

Regarding the comments about shadows and the impression that the McLaren F1 seemed to "float" on the track: I just re-watched the footage and it seems to me that PD has had to drastically reduce the shadow effects. It looks like each car has a pre-baked blob of black under the chassis just to give the impression that the car is not hovering over the track. And since this pre-baked shadow blob seems to be restricted to the area under the chassis, it's that lack of shadow around the wheels that gives the impression that the McLaren F1 is floating.

This could just be something related to the promotional footage that was shared. We didn't get to see the gameplay of the few people who were able to try it. Only they could confirm this (although with only one hour of play time and so many questions it's understandable that a detail like this would be the last thing on their minds).

If shadow effects have had to be practically eliminated to ensure high graphical fidelity and a stable, high frame rate, it would not surprise me. In PCVR it was always the first thing I did to gain performance: turn shadows down to minimum. In ACC (which is a very demanding title in VR) I had to eliminate shadows altogether (among other things) to make it playable which gave off a very strange vibe seeing other cars' wheels seemingly float over the track with nothing under them, not even a pre-baked black blob.

Everything else looks fantastic. If shadows are the only thing that suffers a graphical hit it is not only understandable, but completely acceptable in my book. What I wonder is if PD has also had to sacrifice the other shadows around the circuit. The lighting model is very well done in this game and it would be a shame to lose that, too. Maybe that's why they showed a lot of cloudy footage.

Anyway, overall let's not forget that we are getting full VR implementation which is more than enough based on all of our doubts just a few short days ago. It's by no means a deal-breaker but I feel it had to be pointed out. Maybe someone with sharper eyes than my 49-year old orbes could cast some more light on this.

I totally agree with reducing shadows for VR. You want everything to run as smoothly as possible because any stutters will kill the immersion where as generic shadows your brain adapts to quickly. When I see full on shadowing, I find it impressive, but not necessary, especially for the performance hit. There's absolutely going to have to be concessions given here and there for as graphically intesive game as GT7 is. However, one thing that we have going for us is foveated rendering and a game developed for one console and one headset. I expect tweaks for months to come to make the game even better than at launch. Hopefully

In rewatching GTP's video, I noticed Jordan mention that seeing the camber of the road is easier. I can't wrap my head around that is but it's something that most certainly would help me drive better.

Yeah same here mate. I can't get on with Cockpit on flat screen. Well I can, but more prone to making a mistake or 3 over the course of races. Can;t see, judge some turns quite as well, spatial awareness etc, Hopefully VR will mitigate these issues as really want to use cockpit, certainly once VR arrives! I'm fine using cockpit with ACC, as the view is highly customizable. In GT7, you feel you;re driving slightly handicapped (not meant in disabled sense OC...) in cockpit view, which is a shame and shouldn;t be the case.

Last edited:
OK, time to rain on everyone's parade LOL. This is minor in the grand scheme of things but I will be the unsavory character to point this out (others have already questioned this in this thread).

Regarding the comments about shadows and the impression that the McLaren F1 seemed to "float" on the track: I just re-watched the footage and it seems to me that PD has had to drastically reduce the shadow effects. It looks like each car has a pre-baked blob of black under the chassis just to give the impression that the car is not hovering over the track. And since this pre-baked shadow blob seems to be restricted to the area under the chassis, it's that lack of shadow around the wheels that gives the impression that the McLaren F1 is floating.

This could just be something related to the promotional footage that was shared. We didn't get to see the gameplay of the few people who were able to try it. Only they could confirm this (although with only one hour of play time and so many questions it's understandable that a detail like this would be the last thing on their minds).

If shadow effects have had to be practically eliminated to ensure high graphical fidelity and a stable, high frame rate, it would not surprise me. In PCVR it was always the first thing I did to gain performance: turn shadows down to minimum. In ACC (which is a very demanding title in VR) I had to eliminate shadows altogether (among other things) to make it playable which gave off a very strange vibe seeing other cars' wheels seemingly float over the track with nothing under them, not even a pre-baked black blob.

Everything else looks fantastic. If shadows are the only thing that suffers a graphical hit it is not only understandable, but completely acceptable in my book. What I wonder is if PD has also had to sacrifice the other shadows around the circuit. The lighting model is very well done in this game and it would be a shame to lose that, too. Maybe that's why they showed a lot of cloudy footage.

Anyway, overall let's not forget that we are getting full VR implementation which is more than enough based on all of our doubts just a few short days ago. It's by no means a deal-breaker but I feel it had to be pointed out. Maybe someone with sharper eyes than my 49-year old orbes could cast some more light on this.
I doubt it. If you look closely, all the promotional footage shows overcast conditions. Only one little twitter bit has real shadows and it's just barely seen in a frame or two. It's the Playstation page that posted it if you wanna see it. It's from a yellow MR2 I think? Or Supra.

I think the blob is just the way the game renders the AO. It's probably the same on 2D mode, when on the same weather.

I would put money on it having normal shadows. On that Trial Mountain bit you can see it looks just the same as normal game, at least on the cockpit view.

I might be wrong, but I made a huge lot of captures of GT sporr VR and GT7, and even in "flat mode" GT7 has those generic shadows most of the time, except on certain tracks with very sunny weather like in Willow Springs or Autopolis. I love playing Willow Springs in GT Sport VR because the shadows look really great, but depending on the weather/time, it's not the same at all. We have to see some captures of sunset/sunrise on that kind of tracks, but even if it's not the same as GT sport where there were only 2 cars on the track, I think that they will manage to do the same, even if with a little downgrade.

I might be wrong, but I made a huge lot of captures of GT sporr VR and GT7, and even in "flat mode" GT7 has those generic shadows most of the time, except on certain tracks with very sunny weather like in Willow Springs or Autopolis. I love playing Willow Springs in GT Sport VR because the shadows look really great, but depending on the weather/time, it's not the same at all. We have to see some captures of sunset/sunrise on that kind of tracks, but even if it's not the same as GT sport where there were only 2 cars on the track, I think that they will manage to do the same, even if with a little downgrade.
I'm back with the receipts. Shadows are still here, we only need to see the cars shadows now.

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 03.07.23.png

Circuit shadows. Excuse low-res from the zoom.

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 03.08.44.png

Shadows on the cockpit and player model. From the trees on the left side of the car...

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 03.09.18.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 03.10.20.png

I think we good. The only real adjustment I have seen is grass levels. It seems like it's somewhere between PS5 and PS4 Pro level of grass on the track.

Post above me showed car shadows. Great

Last edited:
B80
Yeah same here mate. I can't get on with Cockpit on flat screen. Well I can, but more prone to making a mistake or 3 over the course of races. Can;t see, judge some turns quite as well, spatial awareness etc, Hopefully VR will mitigate these issues as really want to use cockpit, certainly once VR arrives! I'm fine using cockpit with ACC, as the view is highly customizable. In GT7, you feel you;re driving slightly handicapped (not meant in disabled sense OC...) in cockpit view, which is a shame and shouldn;t be the case.

Always used bumper cam in previous GT games, and went cockpit cam from GT7 since it's the best looking and sounding cam in the game. I have a 55' TV and my rig is litterally in front of it so I have a really good visibility with most of the cars, but definitively nothing comparable to what you can experience in VR. You can be reassured, VR gives a way better visibilty than any other cam on flat screen! :)

I'm back with the receipts. Shadows are still here, we only need to see the cars shadows now.

View attachment 1227944
Circuit shadows. Excuse low-res from the zoom.

View attachment 1227945

Shadows on the cockpit and player model. From the trees on the left side of the car...

View attachment 1227946

View attachment 1227947
I think we good. The only real adjustment I have seen is grass levels. It seems like it's somewhere between PS5 and PS4 Pro level of grass on the track.

Post above me showed car shadows. Great
If you look at the video I posted a little above and check at the 2 footages from 2:40, you will see that the shadows are rendered with a very high level of precision, but on some other tracks at different times of the day it's totally different and looks more like generic shadows casted under the cars, even in GT7 on flat screen. I'm not really worried and think that we will be blown away by the shadows and lightings, they were already fantastic in GT sport! :)

I am very excited for this, but am holding off on buying a VR2 until I see some actual reviews. No more pre-orders!
Jordan has confirmed it is brilliant, others have said the same, I don't need any more info than that!

This is very minor, as you'll know, when you are in VR the overall sensory experience far exceeds any graphical shortcomings. Nobody should expect the graphics to be good in VR however you are right to point it out as a lot of people will be new to VR!

I am extremely hyped about this VR mode.
But I see nobody has checked one thing about VR mode... How Pit-stops are working? Is the game goes on flat screen mode every time we are entering the Pit and standard PIT sequence is happening, or did PD added cockpit view in pit stops? :D

But I see nobody has checked one thing about VR mode... How Pit-stops are working? Is the game goes on flat screen mode every time we are entering the Pit and standard PIT sequence is happening, or did PD added cockpit view in pit stops? :D
I am not expecting PD to make even pitstops 3D. Geez, wouldn't that be the cherry on top :-)

OMG The Dipper will be insane!
I love the last cafe event, the World Gran Turismo Series championship, especially when you're climbing the mount while the night falls and the descending section by night with the town illuminated in the background. Looks fantastic in 2D, but I can't wait to experience that in VR! :3 Made this event a few dozen times just for this moment 😁 The replays will be great too!

We were discussing it on this thread a few pages above, and I think that it will be a cinematic like when playing on flat screen. The pits are not fully modelized so it's unlikely that we will get a cockpit view. No idea if it will be a flat cinematic or with stereoscopic 3D thought!

EDIT: the time you spend from entering Pit to reaching your stand takes way more longer than it should. If they did a cockpit cam you would reach them way faster than in 2D mode, which would make the online races unplayable between 2D and VR players. And once again, the biggest part of the pits is not modelized, it's just a cinematic leading to the same unique stand for any car 😅

Last edited:
We were discussing it on this thread a few pages above, and I think that it will be a cinematic like when playing on flat screen. The pits are not fully modelized so it's unlikely that we will get a cockpit view. No idea if it will be a flat cinematic or with stereoscopic 3D thought!

EDIT: the time you spend from entering Pit to reaching your stand takes way more longer than it should. If they did a cockpit cam you would reach them way faster than in 2D mode, which would make the online races unplayable between 2D and 3D players. And once again, the biggest part of the pits is not modelized, it's just a cinematic leading to the same unique stand for any car 😅

Too bad, but it isn’t much of a problem. Game balance is more important than eye candy :D

Back