GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
I have a question for you guys. How does GT7 feel compared to GTS ? Is it much the same ? I read disappointed with GTS as I felt that the track surface feel was non existent, it felt to me like I was driving on a slab of polished marble. No bumps other than the nurburgring. Is GT7 any better in this regard ? I would hate to buy a PS5, VR2 to feel the same lifeless feeling.
It's very similar.

I have a question for you guys. How does GT7 feel compared to GTS ? Is it much the same ? I read disappointed with GTS as I felt that the track surface feel was non existent, it felt to me like I was driving on a slab of polished marble. No bumps other than the nurburgring. Is GT7 any better in this regard ? I would hate to buy a PS5, VR2 to feel the same lifeless feeling.
Way more track bumps and jumps in GT7 vs sport car def can get unsettled more in GT7

Sorry if I missed anyone discussing or asking.....
How well will the Sony H7 headphones fit with the VR2 as this is something Sony have not shown or said much about....

I cant make up my mind over Pulse or H7

EDIT
I just ordered the H7 to use with the VR2

Last edited:
Regarding the comments about shadows and the impression that the McLaren F1 seemed to "float" on the track: I just re-watched the footage and it seems to me that PD has had to drastically reduce the shadow effects. It looks like each car has a pre-baked blob of black under the chassis just to give the impression that the car is not hovering over the track. And since this pre-baked shadow blob seems to be restricted to the area under the chassis, it's that lack of shadow around the wheels that gives the impression that the McLaren F1 is floating.

This could just be something related to the promotional footage that was shared. We didn't get to see the gameplay of the few people who were able to try it. Only they could confirm this (although with only one hour of play time and so many questions it's understandable that a detail like this would be the last thing on their minds).
My first drive was in the MX-5 convertible at Laguna Seca in full sunlight and there were definitely shadows. I didn't pay close attention to them but best I can recall, they looked really good.
B80
Yeah same here mate. I can't get on with Cockpit on flat screen. Well I can, but more prone to making a mistake or 3 over the course of races. Can;t see, judge some turns quite as well, spatial awareness etc, Hopefully VR will mitigate these issues as really want to use cockpit, certainly once VR arrives! I'm fine using cockpit with ACC, as the view is highly customizable. In GT7, you feel you;re driving slightly handicapped (not meant in disabled sense OC...) in cockpit view, which is a shame and shouldn;t be the case.
I know what you mean. I don't usually like "Cockpit Cam" in Gran Turismo games, either, but it's a very different experience in VR as your vision isn't locked into the rectangle of the TV.

Having said that, I expect some cars might not be so great to drive in VR simply because the real-world car itself doesn't have good visibility. I want to experience what the different cars are really like, though, so I actually think that's kind of neat.
I am extremely hyped about this VR mode.
But I see nobody has checked one thing about VR mode... How Pit-stops are working? Is the game goes on flat screen mode every time we are entering the Pit and standard PIT sequence is happening, or did PD added cockpit view in pit stops? :D
Like the cars without interiors, this was another thing I wanted to check out but unfortunately did not have time.

The game switches so seamlessly between "VR" and "flat screen" modes I'm assuming it just drops back into flat screen for the pits.

As an example of how easily it switches, the "countdown" sequence right before the race starts is in "flat screen" mode, then instantly switches over to VR as you take control of the car.
I think it’s fair to say this will become the pinnacle racing VR experience. Yes, even compared to a 4 grand+PC with additional high-end VR headset and visually leading titles like ACC. Which will still in ways, be outclassed with GT7s graphics and lighting. With no fuss in setup, using PS5, as well as the hardware/software being better optimised too.

Yet even more,for car enthusiasts, the included ability as we had hoped to be able to enjoy viewing ALL the cars in such detail both exterior and interior.

This May Be A Milestone In Gaming!
I think the setup and software optimization is a big deal.

I didn't want to get into the weeds in my article/video, but I think dealing with VR on the PC is often a hassle. You don't typically see that fussy part in YouTube videos, but there is a lot of setup that goes into making it work. Then, when you actually start using it, any time you're not driving, you're awkwardly and blindly reaching around for the keyboard, mouse, or other controllers. VR is cool, but it really needs to be part of a fully integrated hardware/software ecosystem. Otherwise, it quickly becomes more trouble than it's worth, in my experience at least.

Because the entire PS OS and GT7 has been designed for use with a controller/wheel, you don't have to take your hands off the peripheral at any time. It just makes it all more pleasant and accessible.
I checked out Super GT's (Steve Brown) tweet yesterday and he said he was slower and likely will always be slower while using VR. I wonder if he is short-changing himself.
I felt slower, too, and I always have when playing in VR.

I think that's down to two reasons. One, yes, it feels a lot more "real" and thus dangerous, so you drive more conservatively. Second, unless you drive with VR a lot, I think it's such a different visual experience that your reflexes just have to "adjust".

One thing about it, though, is that I felt much more aware of my surroundings with PSVR2. It felt much easier to engage in super-close, wheel-to-wheel racing, probably because my brain was getting more spatial information. I also felt like I could keep track of what was going on behind much better by actually being able to use all the mirrors as I would while driving a real car.

I did not see any settings to adjust that during my demo.
Hopefully it just works and calibrates the correct seating position. Every tester seems to get the experience of something stable which just works and looks great. Just like I hoped. Will be collecting some more open cars the comming weeks for sure!

@Jordan Thank you for this preview. Also very good news you didnt get Motion illness.👌It seems they nailed it and hit the sweetspot with this closed and tuned ecosystem.💪

Can’t wait to complete the Rig with PSVR2.

Last edited:
Hopefully it just works and calibrates the correct seating position. Every tester seems to get the experience of something stable which just works and looks great. Just like I hoped. Will be collecting some more open cars the comming weeks for sure!

@Jordan Thank you for this preview. Also very good news you didnt get Motion illness.👌It seems they nailed it and hit the sweetspot with this closed and tuned ecosystem.💪

Can’t wait to complete the Rig with PSVR2.
Iracing does that. Your view centers to where the head on your body does. It does it pretty well too. There must be a recentering button press. You can lean forward or back while doing this to adjust your view most likely.

My first drive was in the MX-5 convertible at Laguna Seca in full sunlight and there were definitely shadows. I didn't pay close attention to them but best I can recall, they looked really good.

I know what you mean. I don't usually like "Cockpit Cam" in Gran Turismo games, either, but it's a very different experience in VR as your vision isn't locked into the rectangle of the TV.

Having said that, I expect some cars might not be so great to drive in VR simply because the real-world car itself doesn't have good visibility. I want to experience what the different cars are really like, though, so I actually think that's kind of neat.

Like the cars without interiors, this was another thing I wanted to check out but unfortunately did not have time.

The game switches so seamlessly between "VR" and "flat screen" modes I'm assuming it just drops back into flat screen for the pits.

As an example of how easily it switches, the "countdown" sequence right before the race starts is in "flat screen" mode, then instantly switches over to VR as you take control of the car.

I think the setup and software optimization is a big deal.

I didn't want to get into the weeds in my article/video, but I think dealing with VR on the PC is often a hassle. You don't typically see that fussy part in YouTube videos, but there is a lot of setup that goes into making it work. Then, when you actually start using it, any time you're not driving, you're awkwardly and blindly reaching around for the keyboard, mouse, or other controllers. VR is cool, but it really needs to be part of a fully integrated hardware/software ecosystem. Otherwise, it quickly becomes more trouble than it's worth, in my experience at least.

Because the entire PS OS and GT7 has been designed for use with a controller/wheel, you don't have to take your hands off the peripheral at any time. It just makes it all more pleasant and accessible.

I felt slower, too, and I always have when playing in VR.

I think that's down to two reasons. One, yes, it feels a lot more "real" and thus dangerous, so you drive more conservatively. Second, unless you drive with VR a lot, I think it's such a different visual experience that your reflexes just have to "adjust".

One thing about it, though, is that I felt much more aware of my surroundings with PSVR2. It felt much easier to engage in super-close, wheel-to-wheel racing, probably because my brain was getting more spatial information. I also felt like I could keep track of what was going on behind much better by actually being able to use all the mirrors as I would while driving a real car.
Like some others, I have watched a few YT channels in previous months that have been quite negative regards PS5 VR or its chances of success. Claiming also it is too expensive...

Let's consider, even from a GT fan perspective, how much can the best steering wheels/pedals cost for the PS5 system these days. Yet lots of people have/will buy these or are interested in getting them and I think this is an example of how even a "single game franchise" over the last 2.5 decades has become responsible for many systems and various hardware sales.

Would I be wrong in thinking, it's not impossible that the VR2 could actually become a priority over buying a high-quality steering/wheel for some people...

Yet I do think Jordan you hit the nail on the head about how simple on PS5 it can be configured, experienced, and enjoyed.
No question that PC VR can be a mixed bag and quite frustrating to configure but it seems only moderately optimized in a few cases and very mixed in the efficiency of performance on other titles.

Personally, I have a feeling VR2 is not only, going to do really well with its adoption of PS5 owners that get it. With its available exclusives and improved experiences, some tiles will bring in (PS5 versions) which will entice lots of people to buy into the PS5 ecosystem.

Horizon while a shorter storyline, could also be a better and more immersive "VR experience" than the highly acclaimed Halflife Alyx.

Last edited:
Jordan, were you able to adjust where your head would be in the cars? That feature is key in VR racing games to get correct head placement so it feels right.
I did not see any settings to adjust that during my demo.
If the game doesn't have that, you can probably achieve the same effect by offsetting your head in the opposite direction and re-center the VR headset, at least that's what I used to do in GT Sport VR and have been doing in PC VR sims.

Last edited:
Polish Paul VR, the most proficient PSVR2 youtuber 😁 I'm watching his news every single day!
Man, he talks rapidly! Love his site :-)

I checked out Super GT's (Steve Brown) tweet yesterday and he said he was slower and likely will always be slower while using VR. I wonder if he is short-changing himself.
I'd used the old VR1 from time to time, as well as flat screen cockpit view. I was never as quick as when I had used bumper cam.

But I guess I'll have to get used to it :-)

That's something I'm really looking forward to. I struggle to hit braking spots consistently especially coming down long straights into chicanes. I feel like I'm guessing because often you have to start the braking process before you can really see the turn coming. Hopefully braking points will be more intuitive then which it sounds to be the case.

Man...getting an impressive amount of praise. I do agree with them on the concern about titles going forward though. I'm going to be happy just playing GT7 on it mostly (granted it would be an expensive GT7 only device). I've been wanting a VR sim racing setup and since I already have sunk cost into PS5, GT7, and Fanatec GT DD Pro wheel/pedals, the $600 for PSVR2 is a no brainer for me. I kind of gambled on going full PS5 set-up thinking that GT7 would eventually get VR support and it looks to be paying off. Can't wait to experience this. It will be my first VR gaming ever.
Exactly my reasoning, and purchasing history, too!

I instantly preordered PSVR2 as they said, that the is fully supported. I got a bonus from my job this month, so i ordered a SimRig and the Logitech G Pro Set too. And the best part is, i have 2 weeks holiday from the 20. february.
The Rig and the whell will arrive next week, so i'm able to learn driving with a wheel and get used to all the buttons.

My last wheel experience with a racing game was DTM Race Driver ( or TOCA Race Driver as the english title ) and was 20 years in the past. I'm 46 years old now and i'm hyped like a little kid about all the thing to come and during the reading of the most comments, i'm pretty sure, i'm not the only one :) .

Good point about visibility. It’ll be more pronounced and comparable with say a Mustang Shelby GT350 and Camaro ZL1. Especially race car seats with side head protection.
You'll have a reduced visibility in some prototypes, especially some VGT (usually compensing with a lot of cameras and big screens). And with a convertible you'll have an almost infinite field of view. Of course I never drove any prototype in my life, but I think it's totally the same as you would experience irl with many of those racing beasts. With a 787B or any other group C cars, the cockpit is reduced to the smallest size possible. You have a quite good visibility in front of you, but since there's not even a rear windshield and inside mirror or cameras, the only thing you can rely on to be aware of your surroundings are the side mirrors.

But regardless, all those cars are a total blast to drive in VR!

You'll definitively want to get rid of the windshield banner on some cars thought... Found a great livery for the AC Cobra a few months ago, but when driving in cockpit view you couldn't see anything in front of you since the windshield banner is almost half the size of the windshield itself... xD

Jordan, were you able to adjust where your head would be in the cars? That feature is key in VR racing games to get correct head placement so it feels right.
If the game doesn't have that, you can probably achieve the same effect by offsetting your head in the opposite direction and re-center the VR headset, at least that's what I used to do in GT Sport VR and have been doing in PC VR sims.
Yes, it works great with GT sport. The cockpit view feels too much close to the steering wheel in some cars, so I usually move my head a little forward and use the recentering option by holdind the option button.

But since PSVR2 does not depend on an external camera it might be different in GT7.

Horizon while a shorter storyline, could also be a better and more immersive "VR experience" than the highly acclaimed Halflife Alyx.
There have been some mitiged feedbacks with Horizon, especially with the combat mechanics. It will be a great showcase and an amazing experience for sure. I'm sure that it will beat Alyx in many aspects, including graphics, but as for the core mechanics and overall experience it doesn't seem to federate as much as Half Life Alyx did so far. To be fair it's just a demo that's been there for many months now and probably not representative of the full game. We might have some great surprises since there's a lot of empty emplacements for weapons and gadgets in the demo. Can't wait to try it out anyway! Just the boat section got me really hyped, it looks amazing compared to everything we've seen so far with VR :)

And I totally agree with the rest of your post!

Last edited:
I instantly preordered PSVR2 as they said, that the is fully supported. I got a bonus from my job this month, so i ordered a SimRig and the Logitech G Pro Set too. And the best part is, i have 2 weeks holiday from the 20. february.
The Rig and the whell will arrive next week, so i'm able to learn driving with a wheel and get used to all the buttons.

My last wheel experience with a racing game was DTM Race Driver ( or TOCA Race Driver as the english title ) and was 20 years in the past. I'm 46 years old now and i'm hyped like a little kid about all the thing to come and during the reading of the most comments, i'm pretty sure, i'm not the only one :) .
Oh geez, I'm jealous. I'd take the Logitech over the Fanatec (I have the DD Pro) for the Trueforce alone.

You are really diving in at the deep end!

Pretty much the same here, GT7 is my first racing game since the PS1 days, played the NFS games a good bit back then but haven't touched the genre in a couple decades. Got a G29 and a simple stand last year to try this game out and have played it almost daily since last summer. Once PSVR2 support was confirmed decided since I like the genre enough from that entry setup, got a full cockpit + GT DD Pro setup and preordered the headset. Really looking forward to it!

Pretty much the same here, GT7 is my first racing game since the PS1 days, played the NFS games a good bit back then but haven't touched the genre in a couple decades. Got a G29 and a simple stand last year to try this game out and have played it almost daily since last summer. Once PSVR2 support was confirmed decided since I like the genre enough from that entry setup, got a full cockpit + GT DD Pro setup and preordered the headset. Really looking forward to it!
Many people on this sub seem to have issue with the DD pro FFB lacking of detail on GT7. But if that can reassure you, I've been using it for many months now and I really love it ^^
If I can give you an advice it's to set the FFB sensitivity to 10 and the max torque somewhere between 5 and 10 depending on your preferences.

Got mine with 8nm boost kit, load cell pedal, shifter and handbrake for the same price as a Logitech G pro with pedal only, so even if it doesn't have the true force and is not as powerful, I think it's a solid choice for high end driving experience on PS5 👍

Last edited:
Many people on this sub seem to have issue with the DD pro FFB lacking of detail on GT7. But if that can reassure you, I've been using it for many months now and I really love it ^^
If I can give you an advice it's to set the FFB sensitivity to 10 and the max torque somewhere between 5 and 10 depending on your preferences.

Got mine with 8nm boost kit, load cell pedal, shifter and handbrake for the same price as a Logitech G pro with pedal only, so even if it doesn't have the true force and is not as powerful, I think it's a solid choice for high end driving experience on PS5 👍
Hi, Papi

Yup, very happy with mine, too. The dedicated buttons for GT7 possibly outweigh the advantages of TF.

I'll try the settings you recommended. Thanks!

I got the exact same setup lol, everything showed up last week, went with the recommendations from fanatec, no real complaints so far. Tried everything max first and had a hard time keeping high HP cars in a straight line at high speeds lol. I'll try tinkering with the setup a bit, ty for the advice!

I was considering the Logitech DD but really wanted access to the fanatec ecosystem & the price is quite steep. Wheel feels great on ACC (PC) as well, super happy with it.

Ordered a PSVR2 today. Looking forward to giving VR a try. Being an older gamer that wears glasses I have never tried VR on the PC side but decided to give this a try. Should be interesting. 😀
I'm 49 and didn't try VR until 2017 with the PSVR and I never had any issues at all with any type of game. Moved to Oculus Rift S in 2019 and now PS VR2.

Hope it all goes smoothly for you. You will be amazed. Hell, I'm expecting to be amazed despite hundreds of hours of VR gaming already under my belt.

FWIW, they sent their biggest Xbox fan for this, I think to eliminate complaints of bias or something. Even he was almost gushing, so I don't think theres much to worry about lol

I adore SnowBikeMike and all things Kinda Funny with all of my heart #KFBF 💙✨

I found his views on his experience with the VR2 to be reasonably fair. As opposed to the general panel discussion :-(

He's the only one really enthusiastic, never heard of him before but it seems that he really enjoyed the experience and his impressions were really interesting. On the other hand, the other journalists (?) seem more inclined to talk about how it could be the new Vita while quoting the clickbait Bloomberg article.

If I was a video game journalist and started to grow faded like that, not being excited even a little bit by that kind of leap in the industry, I think I'd quit my job. But to be fair they didn't try it, and maybe they will have more interesting things to talk about after trying it than its potential sales.

To piggyback off this sub-convo, I used Fanatec’s recommended settings for GTS and found them to be better than their RS for GT7.

Worth a shot
I'm really happy with my settings, but the FFB feels better with certain cars in GT sport, so I'll definitively give it a try :)

Thanks for the tip buddy! 👍

Last edited:
Looks like I'ma hafta rob me some more liquor stores...
72018-people-guns-things-weapons-humor-funny-handguns-weapons-eyes-glasses-face-eyes-men-males...jpg

Playseat Trophy + Logitech G Pro set waiting for PSVR2 here. 39 now and waiting for this moment since nfs1 and indycar with one of the first thrustmaster wheels on pc. Thats almost 30 years of dreaming about this moment / technology tippingpoint. I’m a child waiting for christmass 2.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back