GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
We're humans; we adapt. I once felt hopeless when I first used a wheel in GTS. It took over a month to match my controller times. This is just another challenge and it might even be more fun to work on improving.

Not to mention that I'll be putting more time into the game now. That means more practice.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your infos and feedbacks!

Do you know if we can hide the HUD like in GT sport? I used to disable it in GT sport because it broke the immersion. Of course you'll need it for certain races, but as for races without pit strategy I'd prefer to turn it off. Even races with tire/fuel consumption and dynamic weather could be really fun without HUD and just relying on your dashboard and the clouds 😁

Seems way more subtle than in GT sport thought, so it might not be a big issue, but I really hope you can disable it.
I did not look for the option but I think it's safe to assume it can be disabled.

The new "B-roll" gameplay footage that you see in my video actually is real-time gameplay and there are no HUD elements visible in that, so it appears to have been disabled it before the video was captured.

I did not look for the option but I think it's safe to assume it can be disabled.

The new "B-roll" gameplay footage that you see in my video actually is real-time gameplay and there are no HUD elements visible in that, so it appears to have been disabled it before the video was captured.
Thanks a lot! :)

Great review, Jordan. I decided to put a pre-order in for the headset shortly after watching the video, from EB games Australia ($100 reservation for release day, instead of having to pay full amount straight away as other retailers require). While it's a very expensive bit of kit, this is everything I have been wishing for in a GT game with PSVR functionality for years. The quality of GT Sport and PSVR1 blew my little mind, but the thought of having clearer visuals, full game functionality, and no more spaghetti cabling required for the hardware... This will be unreal.

As for the high price, I used the excuse that it's an affordable and safe way to practice my driving skills without the need to spend thousands on karting or track days. Obviously not apples to apples, but 🤷‍♂️.

Previously the most immersive GT experience I've have in GT Sport VR was the Shifter Kart, using a T300rs in time trail mode. Cannot wait to see what GT7 will offer. It will be nuts!

For folks debating pre-order due to price - something that worked for me was comparing it to the price of real motorsport! It's less than a set of tyres!
Was telling to a redditor who said that GT7 was way overpriced for what it was, that he could have a whole 30 minutes of karting for the same price 😅 (which is more something like 15 minutes with the actual price of the game!)

As much as I love karting it costs a lot, not even talking of driving on circuit or buying a sports car... You can drive hundreds of cars on tens of tracks for thousands of hours if you want. A full rig and VR setup is worth every cent for a car lover!

Last edited:
I have a question about driving prototype cars in VR.

Typically the cockpit cam has you sitting far back from the windscreen, where you're too low and visibility is reduced to looking out of a letter box.

I wonder if there's a settings to adjust your starting position in VR, to make it usable. Like your height.

For folks debating pre-order due to price - something that worked for me was comparing it to the price of real motorsport! It's less than a set of tyres!
You're totally right! I wish I had enough space at home and enough money to get a full setup though... I'm seriously hyped by the PSVR2, it seems to worth every penny

I have a question about driving prototype cars in VR.

Typically the cockpit cam has you sitting far back from the windscreen, where you're too low and visibility is reduced to looking out of a letter box.

I wonder if there's a settings to adjust your starting position in VR, to make it usable. Like your height.
Drove each Group C cars and a dozen VGT prototypes in GT sport, but you're actually quite close to the windshield and have a pretty good visibility in front of you. Regardless, you could recenter the camera in GT sport, but I couldn't say if it's the same with GT7.

If you want to see what driving the R92CP in VR looks like:
(it starts from 11:10)

Visibility is excellent! (Same with the 787B and all other group C cars)

On a different topic, what are the launch titles all of you are the most interested in, except for GT7?

I can't wait to try RE8, Horizon, No Man's Sky, Kayak VR and a few others like The Light Brigade or Hello Neighbor. And of course Switchback VR even if it has been delayed. The "first game", Until Dawn : Rush of Blood, was a real blast on PSVR1, but with improved tracking, haptics, and all the graphical improvements, Switchback VR will be awesome! Hope that they remaster Rush of Blood as well :3

Last edited:
For those thinking it's an expensive piece of kit, if you said you'd spent £500 on a new telly to put on your PlayStation (even if it was just to play GT7), nobody would bat an eye. Expensive it may be, but good value for money I'd say. I hope this is the shot in the arm game developers need to factor in VR more seriously across all platforms.
One post a few pages back mentioned F1 2022, which is excellent in VR on PC, so F1 2023 in PSVR2 is technically feasible. Codemasters' new WRC game will be based on Dirt Rally which is great in VR too. Fingers crossed.

Drove each Group C cars and a dozen VGT prototypes in GT sport, but you're actually quite close to the windshield and have a pretty good visibility in front of you. Regardless, you could recenter the camera in GT sport, but I couldn't say if it's the same with GT7.

If you want to see what driving the R92CP in VR looks like:
(it starts from 11:10)

Visibility is excellent! (Same with the 787B and all other group C cars)

On a different topic, what are the launch titles all of you are the most interested in, except for GT7?

I can't wait to try RE8, Horizon, No Man's Sky, Kayak VR and a few others like The Light Brigade or Hello Neighbor. And of course Switchback VR even if it has been delayed. The "first game", Until Dawn : Rush of Blood, was a real blast on PSVR1, but with improved tracking, haptics, and all the graphical improvements, Switchback VR will be awesome! Hope that they remaster Rush of Blood as well :3

GT7 is the main and only reason I bought the sim setup and pre-ordered psvr2. Luckily all seems to fall in place.

The rest what really interests me is basically everything developed using Unreal 5 engine such as COTM and Kayak. Kayak looks great. Unreal 5 has some really smart performance and data loading tricks. Once even more optimized for ps5/psvr2/Foveated rendering we could be in for unparalleled VR performance in 2023/2024

Last edited:
I wish PSVR2 on GT7 would down the line, just someday add feature to allow a player walk around in pitlane/pit and furthermore ability to start driving a car from there

GT7 is the main and only reason I bought the sim setup and pre-ordered psvr2. Luckily all seems to fall in place.

The rest what really interests me is basically everything developed using Unreal 5 engine such as COTM and Kayak. Kayak looks great. Unreal 5 has some really smart performance and data loading tricks. Once even more optimized for ps5/psvr2/Foveated rendering we could be in for unparalleled VR performance in 2023/2024
Can't wait to have my wife try Kayak VR!
Showed her the trailer and she said it was beautiful, but she was afraid of the whale, killer whale and even dolphins 😅

She had a panic attack when I made her try the Ocean Descent on PSVR and the shark attacked her. She was litterally crying for something like 20 minutes after that... xD

But yeah, PSVR2 can definitively bring VR to a whole new level seeing the quality of first gen titles, and I still think that it has what it takes to be the official VR headset of the PS6 too. I'm so happy to get to know this after all those years playing and seeing the evolution of the medium. 17 days left my friend! (((o(゚▽゚)o))) It's nothing compared to a whole life waiting for that kind of moment 😁

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this and tried VR racing in a motion rig before.

I absolutely enjoyed it. Where for me personally it's gonna fall down is that in reality I get up between races, bathroom, drink, a smoke etc and moan enough about putting my headphones on and off. For me the practical effort and having to recalibrate my mind each time will overcome the emmersion and novelty quite quickly.

I've been thinking about this and tried VR racing in a motion rig before.

I absolutely enjoyed it. Where for me personally it's gonna fall down is that in reality I get up between races, bathroom, drink, a smoke etc and moan enough about putting my headphones on and off. For me the practical effort and having to recalibrate my mind each time will overcome the emmersion and novelty quite quickly.
This has been a concern of mine, too. I drink a lot of water and should probably ask a doctor if FloMax is right for me. But I don't care; it's worth it. Luckily we usually have several minutes between races.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 Was Built for PSVR 2 From Day One, Says Kazunori Yamauchi

After I had the opportunity to be one of the first people to play Gran Turismo 7 with PSVR 2 last week, I also had the chance to speak with Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi for a one-on-one interview to discuss the new hardware...

Nice interview. GT7 makes a lot more sense now, imo. Having a VR focused experience is a good thing. This game will be the big one for VR2. From what he said, I can't wait to see it.

That bit about being really focused and noticing the lower res is something I thought of, it's nice to see that it's imperceptible.

Can't wait - 17 days.

Are you saying PSVR2 will not work well for campaign offline play, or that in general the game is not best for campaign offline play?

I think he means that all the early GT players who have now done all the content (this work on VR2) has reduced work on the other stuff.

I understand it's all about trade offs and compromise but it's a feature few will embrace. What I mean by that is that the racing will feel great if you're not chasing the rabbit and being rammed by the AI which should know better.

After you've looked at a bunch of skylines, laughed at the sierras dated interior what has it really delivered on? I don't know it's eye of the beholder stuff on that one. What it hasn't delivered is compelling online or single player content, and has taken up dev time that isn't focused on those things.

I'm sure in one of the Japanese articles they said the location of the HUD elements are different for each car. Whichever is least intrusive when driving, so could be on the left, right, or up above. I assume you can also turn it off.

I only discovered Kayak last night, was expecting it to be a basic looking title like Job Simulator. But at times it looks photo realistic! The other title I'll pick up is Tetris Effect.

Kayak as well for me, but also one of the FPS games (Firewall and Crossfire I think are the two that are announced so far). I've heard shooters are immersive in VR.

Edit: The Last Clockwinder looks neat, too.

Last edited:
Wondering when other retailers might start selling PSVR2, I could order direct but could save on taxes and interest with other options like BestBuy.
It’s likely to be exclusive to PS Direct for around 4 weeks, like the Edge controller.

Based on @Jordan 's review and some of the other videos posted in this thread, for the very first time in almost 60 years I'm going to buy a piece of hardware prior to retail release. The hammer that put the final nail in this deal is the capability to switch to RL environment on the fly with out having to remove/raise headset. That lack of functionality was basically the one thing that prevented me from jumping on the VR train after I'd tried the PSVR1 on GTSport several years ago. Being able to play the entire game hammered in several nails as well. My order is placed. Don't know if it can be done with PS+ but I may start an entirely new profile and play the game from the beginning, when that VR2 gets here. I am also curious to find out if my computer screens can be read with the VR2's external cameras and whether my new Turtle Beach headset will fit well with it. Not that I'll mind much if doesn't do either. I was kinda blown away with how well GT7 sounds on my 5.1.1 surround system. For anyone wondering, 5.1.1 surround is 5.1 with a Buttkicker 2 as an auxiliary sub-woofer.

For those trying to compare this to real life racing costs, and I hesitate to mention how getting a larger field of view was done in GT5, for cost comparison, 3 TVs/monitors, 3 Playstation 3s and 3 copies of GT5. But as you can see, I did. Even if you went bare bones for that triples set up you would've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $1400.00US. Most triples rigs cost quite a bit more than that to set up. I know at least one person who did it and I actually had a driving session on that rig. That's not including a wheel, wheel-stand, headset and a rack to place all the PS3s. Now, for that same amount, you'll have better than triples visual flexibility, no need for a rack to hold hardware and have a bit left over to put towards a headset/wheel setup etc.

So far as I'm concerned, there is absolutely no way to compare the costs of GT to real life racing/driving. In my book, it's apples to zebras. Putting my car back on that same track you see over there to the left for an un-sponsored track day, that's 1 day which will include 4-6 20 or so minute sessions, would cost around $400.00US. And that's just to get the car on the track, without the expenditures of the safety gear you'll have to have to get the nut behind the wheel cleared to run. There's just no way, in any way, to fairly compare that.

At any rate, I am certainly looking forward to the end of this month.

Based on @Jordan 's review and some of the other videos posted in this thread, for the very first time in almost 60 years I'm going to buy a piece of hardware prior to retail release. The hammer that put the final nail in this deal is the capability to switch to RL environment on the fly with out having to remove/raise headset. That lack of functionality was basically the one thing that prevented me from jumping on the VR train after I'd tried the PSVR1 on GTSport several years ago. Being able to play the entire game hammered in several nails as well. My order is placed. Don't know if it can be done with PS+ but I may start an entirely new profile and play the game from the beginning, when that VR2 gets here. I am also curious to find out if my computer screens can be read with the VR2's external cameras and whether my new Turtle Beach headset will fit well with it. Not that I'll mind much if doesn't do either. I was kinda blown away with how well GT7 sounds on my 5.1.1 surround system. For anyone wondering, 5.1.1 surround is 5.1 with a Buttkicker 2 as an auxiliary sub-woofer.

For those trying to compare this to real life racing costs, and I hesitate to mention how getting a larger field of view was done in GT5, for cost comparison, 3 TVs/monitors, 3 Playstation 3s and 3 copies of GT5. But as you can see, I did. Even if you went bare bones for that triples set up you would've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $1400.00US. Most triples rigs cost quite a bit more than that to set up. I know at least one person who did it and I actually had a driving session on that rig. That's not including a wheel, wheel-stand, headset and a rack to place all the PS3s. Now, for that same amount, you'll have better than triples visual flexibility, no need for a rack to hold hardware and have a bit left over to put towards a headset/wheel setup etc.

So far as I'm concerned, there is absolutely no way to compare the costs of GT to real life racing/driving. In my book, it's apples to zebras. Putting my car back on that same track you see over there to the left for an un-sponsored track day, that's 1 day which will include 4-6 20 or so minute sessions, would cost around $400.00US. And that's just to get the car on the track, without the expenditures of the safety gear you'll have to have to get the nut behind the wheel cleared to run. There's just no way, in any way, to fairly compare that.

At any rate, I am certainly looking forward to the end of this month.

Have you ever tried VR racing? A genuine question. It is different for everyone. And an another serious question have you tried it with just a controller or with a motion rig?

The reason I ask is because the expectation somewhat takes adjusting to.

Back