GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
This explains two things
The ps4 version exist because , as you guys will soon find out, the ps4 environment's are going to be used for VR and the game was built with VR in mind and NOT held back by the ps4 version but by the VR which doubles as the ps4 version ( you have alot of overhead on a ps5 running this way) . This also explains why split screen is in the game , if you have vr or 3d you have to be able to render split screen .
Man! How can you be into racing games and be that negative about VR?!

I mean, it's probably the best possible addition you can have for those games after a wheel setup, and what makes it feel the most like a real driving experience. And GT7 seems to bring it to a whole new level according to the first previews.

Kaz already said that the game was a little held back since it was developped from the start for VR. Still, it's one of the most beautiful games to date. But I can't remember of journalists being blown away when GT7 came out last year. They all said it was beautiful and running smoothly, but never heard such "wow effect" as what we've seen in all VR previews so far.

GT7 is gorgeous in 2D, but it will be a whole different blast in VR. Been waiting for that kind of moment for my whole life, and I've played video games for more than 36 years!
I'm sure PSVR is great.

Kaz hypocrisy is somewhat galling.

The price of entry to sim racing is expensive because of racing peripherals, moans about the cost...then backs a massively expensive peripheral. That he's flogging.
He didn't write the price tag... I guess he's genuinely sad thinking of the top notch VR experience he created and knowing that only a minority of players would be able to experience it. Entry price for sim racing rig or VR is very expensive and out of reach for most people, he'd like it to be accessible to many more players, which makes sense as for a game creator. Still, if you want the same level of VR technology on PC, you can double or triple the price tag easily... PSVR2 won't make VR a mass-consumption product, but it still makes high-end VR experience way more affordable than they are at this point in time.

Last edited:
Having a dedicated sim rig with high end equipment definitely is pricey, but it’s just a tiny drop in the bucket compared to doing it in real life. It also,of course, can’t give the sensation on your body or cornering Gs and braking, however, in a good car, at a good track, the whole experience is pretty damn close.

I feel the same.

On the one hand, I've enjoyed real-life racing. You meet other like-minded people, and--perhaps because you're in the "real world"--they tend to be kind, helpful, and friendly. But on the other hand, I have to stable a suitable car, dedicate a full day to every event, I have to keep tires on the car (~$1K/yr for me), there's legit wear on the car, there's the risk of accident, I only get to drive one car at local tracks, and there's sunburn, porta-potties, and weather to deal with.

On the other hand, VR racing lets me drive historic and extreme racers at storied tracks at 10/10th's with no risk of car issues or personal injury, and I set the schedule and weather. I'm one "pause" button away from taking time from any event to hang out with my kids, and I can "visit" Laguna Seca for an hour at the end of a busy day of work. I admit there's no replacing the thrill of a green light on a real track, but VR comes close enough that the relatively TINY cost of a PSVR2 and a wheel is "good enough" for me.

First thing I'm going to do with my PSVR2 is that Human Comedy race with the MX5, where the sky opens up partway through the race. I miss having a Miata. I want to get drenched in an open-top car once again. :)

I feel the same.

On the one hand, I've enjoyed real-life racing. You meet other like-minded people, and--perhaps because you're in the "real world"--they tend to be kind, helpful, and friendly. But on the other hand, I have to stable a suitable car, dedicate a full day to every event, I have to keep tires on the car (~$1K/yr for me), there's legit wear on the car, there's the risk of accident, I only get to drive one car at local tracks, and there's sunburn, porta-potties, and weather to deal with.

On the other hand, VR racing lets me drive historic and extreme racers at storied tracks at 10/10th's with no risk of car issues or personal injury, and I set the schedule and weather. I'm one "pause" button away from taking time from any event to hang out with my kids, and I can "visit" Laguna Seca for an hour at the end of a busy day of work. I admit there's no replacing the thrill of a green light on a real track, but VR comes close enough that the relatively TINY cost of a PSVR2 and a wheel is "good enough" for me.

First thing I'm going to do with my PSVR2 is that Human Comedy race with the MX5, where the sky opens up partway through the race. I miss having a Miata. I want to get drenched in an open-top car once again. :)
My cousin and me at the start of Tour Auto in the mythic Renault 8 Gordini 22 years ago!
RDT_20230206_0846214212536115432403484~2.jpg
A once in a lifetime experience, definitively nothing you can replace with sim racing, but we reached a point in time where you can drive all of those legends in a pretty realistic and immersive way without even leaving your home. Sure it's not to compare to the thrill of running a special in real life, but it's still pretty convincing, and as many others pointed out, way more affordable than real life racing!

Last edited:
I don't know where or who from I heard it, but it makes sense to me...

This is a soft launch for PSVR2 - no marketing, just a handful of influencers getting the message out for the early adopters.

A hard launch with the full force of Sony's marketing budget will be rolled out for the 2023 holiday season. By this time, more PS5 will be out there, this increasing the size of the potential market. Also, a decent software library will be there mitigating the current criticism of 'not enough games'. There is also the potential for some price tag reduction by the end of the year.

Man! How can you be into racing games and be that negative about VR?!

I mean, it's probably the best possible addition you can have for those games after a wheel setup, and what makes it feel the most like a real driving experience. And GT7 seems to bring it to a whole new level according to the first previews.

Kaz already said that the game was a little held back since it was developped from the start for VR. Still, it's one of the most beautiful games to date. But I can't remember of journalists being blown away when GT7 came out last year. They all said it was beautiful and running smoothly, but never heard such "wow effect" as what we've seen in all VR previews so far.

GT7 is gorgeous in 2D, but it will be a whole different blast in VR. Been waiting for that kind of moment for my whole life, and I've played video games for more than 36 years!

He didnn't write the price tag... I guess he's genuinely sad thinking of the top notch VR experience he created and knowing that only a minority of players would be able to experience it. Entry price for sim racing rig or VR is very expensive and out of reach for most people, he'd like it to be accessible to many more players, which makes sense as for a game creator. Still, if you want the same level of VR technology on PC, you can double or triple the price tag easily... PSVR2 won't make VR a mass-consumption product, but it still makes high-end VR experience way more affordable that they are at this point in time.
When did I ever say i was negative about VR , you guys are projecting your hatred of the ps4 version onto vr . If PD is going to make GT7 on ps5 it must naturaly be downgraded and PD probably found out the ps4 spec'd version of GT7 ran incredibly well on ps5 hardware AND vr so they knocked two birds out with one stone . Split screen is already integrated via vr / 3D so that's why GT 5 , 6 sport and 7 have split screen in reduced window mode . The work is already done .

By this time, more PS5 will be out there, this increasing the size of the potential market.
PS5 is already out there; Q3 (Oct-Nov-Dec) sales were 7.1 million units, meaning lifetime sales have now hit 32 million - after two years and one month. PS4 hit 30m in November 2015, after two years flat. After dragging slightly over 2021/22 (it was about 2-3m behind at one point), the PS5 is now more or less selling at the same rate as PS4 was and we should see it overtake it once Q4 (Jan-Feb-Mar) is taken into account.

PSVR2 is coming earlier in PS5's life (two years and three months compared to two years and 11 months), but to close to the same number of consoles - 75-80%, I'd guess.

Sony. Publisher does marketing.
Oh, thought you knew. PDLogic™ defaults to any queries regarding illogical choices by Polyphony Digital and/or Sony and its partners. It's in the fine print. :sly:

...but that's an easy fix: SonyLogic™ ;)

My cousin and me at the start of Tour Auto in the mythic Renault 8 Gordini 22 years ago!
A once in a lifetime experience, definitively nothing you can replace with sim racing, but we reached a point in time where you can drive all of those legends in a pretty realistic and immersive way without even leaving your home. Sure it's not to compare to the thrill of running a special in real life, but it's still pretty convincing, and as many others pointed out, way more affordable than real life racing!
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing that photo. :)

I think if you have experienced the thrill of racing in Real Life and you also suffer the pains of real-life racing, it's easy to see sim racing as a set of trade-offs, not a lesser form of the sport.

When the Oculus devkits came out, I bought a DK2. Asetto Corsa (the original) had primitive VR support, and I suffered hours of tweaking to set it up properly. I even had my steering wheel rotating at the same angle as the in-game wheel.

You know that feeling in real-life when you know you're about to have a "racing incident" and there's nothing you can do but hold on? One of the first things I did in Assetto Corsa was to take an old Formula car to Monza, and on one lap I managed to get off-course headed down to Parabolica. The car hit a rut and went airborne, Mark Webber-style. As I physically looked UP in my VR headset, I saw the ground rushing towards my upside-down car. For a very brief moment, I had complete suspension of disbelief and felt I was about to be crushed in a race car. And a very brief moment later I remembered I was in a video game, and as the car hit the ground I took off the headset with shaking hands and a huge adrenaline rush.

At that moment, I realized that flat-panel racing and VR racing are entirely different animals. Flat-panel racing sims aren't bad by any means. They're better in some way. But VR racing is different, and I much prefer it.

─ One of my favorite features of the "VR Showroom" is the ability to turn on/off the blinkers and lights. Do you have any plans to update the "VR Showroom" in the future, such as turning on the engine or operating the cockpit in the "VR Showroom"?

Mr. Yamauchi:.
I can't tell you for sure, but we actually wanted to start the engine at first (laughs).
However, the engine cannot be started even from the interior viewpoint. Although we are aware of this as an issue, we are not sure if we will be able to do this for all 450+ cars in the future.

"However, to run 4K60fps natively or to run VR, it is necessary to make the data itself quite light. That's why the most difficult part of the development of "Gran Turismo 7" was maintaining the quality of the graphics without increasing the load."

repeat of the other interview, but this really talks about PD's quality. They made a VR game look good in 2D.

GT7 is a VR game upfront. I think this is big, as I'm a big admirer of this game's graphics.

VR is their masterpiece. Hype is crazy

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing that photo. :)

I think if you have experienced the thrill of racing in Real Life and you also suffer the pains of real-life racing, it's easy to see sim racing as a set of trade-offs, not a lesser form of the sport.

When the Oculus devkits came out, I bought a DK2. Asetto Corsa (the original) had primitive VR support, and I suffered hours of tweaking to set it up properly. I even had my steering wheel rotating at the same angle as the in-game wheel.

You know that feeling in real-life when you know you're about to have a "racing incident" and there's nothing you can do but hold on? One of the first things I did in Assetto Corsa was to take an old Formula car to Monza, and on one lap I managed to get off-course headed down to Parabolica. The car hit a rut and went airborne, Mark Webber-style. As I physically looked UP in my VR headset, I saw the ground rushing towards my upside-down car. For a very brief moment, I had complete suspension of disbelief and felt I was about to be crushed in a race car. And a very brief moment later I remembered I was in a video game, and as the car hit the ground I took off the headset with shaking hands and a huge adrenaline rush.

At that moment, I realized that flat-panel racing and VR racing are entirely different animals. Flat-panel racing sims aren't bad by any means. They're better in some way. But VR racing is different, and I much prefer it.
Thanks mate! :)

Yes, both have their advantages, but when it comes to reproduce real driving sensations, even having 3 displays in front of you cannot compete with the possibility to look at 360 degrees in stereoscopic 3D.

I definitively prefer it too!

Last edited:
I find it strange they didn't put GT7 into that otherwise sensational two minute sizzle reel.

*Nevermind, that's a four month old trailer.

Last edited:
This statement pushes me another step
closer to purchasing…“You can also really understand the ups and downs, the undulations on the track. When you’re driving on tracks like the Nurburgring, the hills that really look like walls to you when you’re driving, it does look like that when you’re driving VR. The drop-off at the Corkscrew at Laguna really feels like as if you’re going over a cliff.
Same here mate, thats what I'm looking/hoping for, with my first VR experience this month.

I know its not the same, but I've been thinking more and more about selling my M3 F80 the past few months. Spend over £400 a month in fuel, plus several other factors. I know it can't totally replicate real life as such, but if the 'feeling' and immersion is strong enough, may make move towards selling it for something more sensible.

I do love the damn thing though, had it over 2 years now, so VR will have to be pretty damn good to tip me that way, as don;t have to sell it as such... ... we will see!!

Vr, as good as it is, will not compare to reality. Too many other impressions are missing in my opinion. But the first impression if you never saw VR before will be 'WOW' for Sure, but over the weeks and month you will just get used to it and it will feel normal. At least it was like that for me with the quest 2, despite the lesser graphic Level the first impression was still very impressive.

I am back to GT (after 15 years i think, GT 5 on PS3with a g25 last time) because of this. So i am one of the 1% Sony convinced. Regarding is it worth or not, i tell myself that this is a huge invest, but for the next years.. PS5 will be there for a while and other racing games will come with vr Support. I dont think we have seen the Limit of ps5 and vr2 right now on Day one, even if PD managed to do a great Job right now.

So i can divide that invest by at least 5 (years), and then i am fine with the spending. I always trick myself that way 😉

See you on track soon, really looking forward to this

Now it makes more sense why many of the demos of GT7 were from cockpit view. I can’t recall If bumpercam were default camera in demos, but it seems like every demo was cockpit cam.

I know interior views been around since GT5P, but now There’s info to connect the dots. To me, anyway.

I hope that making GT7 as VR title means that all future GT titles will support VR. I know this is niche market but I see this similar to driving wheels. It is less popular than driving on gamepad but is absolutely crucial that all more realistic games support wheels.

For those thinking about price, at £530 it's is well priced for what it is, as others have said on the PC you would need to pay double plus the PC so fair play to Sony here. It also won't lose any/much value. I sold my vr for about £50 less than paid in anticipation of this.

I remember on gt sport I just didn't want to go back to non vr, which way very annoying given the limited options in gt sport. I cannot wait for this though!!!!

Also for my young daughter, if she wants to get into Motorsport have this level of set up with my wheel at home is going to great, I'm just thinking what I could have done if this technology was available at home when I was young! You might see her in the gt academy one day 🤣

Really curious to try it out, though I would never buy it without extensive testing. I am not too sure my hypermetropia will like it :confused:

I wonder if they will create some new Cafe Menu's that showcase the VR experience
It would certainly be a great time to release a slew of new showcasey type content. Menu books or Challenges with 24h and night time rain racing would surely be incredible. I'm hoping there's at least one new track in the Feb update to go along with the VR update but we'll see.

Also, i have a question regarding the VR HUD: In GT Sport, did it let you cycle between Speed/gear gauges and MFD?

If so....why they didn't add that minimalist style option for pancake mode HUD is so odd.

Last edited:
Why does everybody act like it's a deal big enough to compensate for lack of content in the game?

The PS4's GT Sport already had all the basic VR Compatability, GT7, being a GT Sport 2.0, just extends it due to increased power of the hardware. Not a big deal at all.

Having VR is great, but boy do we need some events in the game. It's almost dead if you're not playing online. And there are no talks or plans from PD about Cars/Tracks/Career at all, acting like everything is fine.

Why does everybody act like it's a deal big enough to compensate for lack of content in the game?

The PS4's GT Sport already had all the basic VR Compatability, GT7, being a GT Sport 2.0, just extends it due to increased power of the hardware. Not a big deal at all.

Having VR is great, but boy do we need some events in the game. It's almost dead if you're not playing online. And there are no talks or plans from PD about Cars/Tracks/Career at all, acting like everything is fine.
GT Sport VR was basically an arcade race against just one other car.
GT7 VR is the whole game. That's why it's a big deal.

I really hope we will get these cars:
  • 718-cayman-gt4-rs
  • Ferrari 296 GTS
New Cars in VR are x2 cooler.
Future updates will now be even more anticipated with VR support.
I took a few days off starting 22-2. I hope PSVR2 ships directly on the 22nd.
Or even beter arrives at the 22nd.

I would expect new cars to go with vr update, but any car outside of the datamine is wild prediction, my dream would be Lexus lfa, Jaguar xj220 and dodge challanger demon, but all cars are welcome, i think it was just c8 Corvette and vw idr that was not part of datamine added in 2022

Also, i have a question regarding the VR HUD: In GT Sport, did it let you cycle between Speed/gear gauges and MFD?

If so....why they didn't add that minimalist style option for pancake mode HUD is so odd.
No, it was avery minimalist HUD that wasn't very useful given the contents of the game. It kinda broke the immersion so I just turned it off passed the first races.

Sure it doesn't have the contents of GT4 or 6, but it's still way more than most other actual racing games, and it keeps on improving.

I also want some new events like the leagues of GT sport, with championships, endurance races and all the historic cups of the series, but I'm quite sure it will come at some point.

The best would be that they prepared a big update to come along with the VR upgrade, with many new events and some new grinding spots since grind is a big part of the game at first. I reached a point where I don't need money anymore, and I thoroughly enjoy the solo experience now that I don't need to grind anymore, but I know that most players are still far from this point... Anyway I think that we all want some new events and hope they will hear us!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back