GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Are you saying PSVR2 will not work well for campaign offline play, or that in general the game is not best for campaign offline play?
me saying it has zero campaign for everybody, whereas at it's best psvr2 will have 1million players in GT7 (at best)....if so

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 Was Built for PSVR 2 From Day One, Says Kazunori Yamauchi

After I had the opportunity to be one of the first people to play Gran Turismo 7 with PSVR 2 last week, I also had the chance to speak with Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi for a one-on-one interview to discuss the new hardware...
This interview so far poses better questions than the other ones Kaz did. Wish I could read the whole thing in one shot though instead of drip fed. Great work!

Do you know if in the VR race replays if you can sit in the passenger seat like in GTS? (Any more detail on the VR Replay would be appreciated.)

Also can you rev the engine in the cockpit of the garage?

Thanks for answering our q's

Last edited:
I paid more than the PS VR2 costs just for ten laps in a Ferrari 488 GTB 🤣.
Precisely.

Have you ever tried VR racing? A genuine question. It is different for everyone. And an another serious question have you tried it with just a controller or with a motion rig?

The reason I ask is because the expectation somewhat takes adjusting to.
I have actually. Went to visit @MajorBlixem and he had Sport with the VR1 and he let me try it out. It was with a wheel. I don't recall which one at this time. There is no way I would ever play a driving game without a wheel. It was a limited experience I know but I enjoyed it immensely. At the time I thought it was awesome, but the existing limitations made it a non starter for me then. Those limitations have been removed so far as I can tell. While it won't be a Star Trek holo deck experience, it'll be as close as I'm like to live long enough to experience.

Thanks for the merge, whomever did it. :cheers: :bowdown:👍

Last edited:
This statement pushes me another step
closer to purchasing…“You can also really understand the ups and downs, the undulations on the track. When you’re driving on tracks like the Nurburgring, the hills that really look like walls to you when you’re driving, it does look like that when you’re driving VR. The drop-off at the Corkscrew at Laguna really feels like as if you’re going over a cliff.

Last edited:
This explains two things
The ps4 version exist because , as you guys will soon find out, the ps4 environment's are going to be used for VR and the game was built with VR in mind and NOT held back by the ps4 version but by the VR which doubles as the ps4 version ( you have alot of overhead on a ps5 running this way) . This also explains why split screen is in the game , if you have vr or 3d you have to be able to render split screen .

I'm sure PSVR is great.

Kaz hypocrisy is somewhat galling.

The price of entry to sim racing is expensive because of racing peripherals, moans about the cost...then backs a massively expensive peripheral. That he's flogging.

See? That’s dope. Using VR as a learning tool.

I remember Kaz mentioning, in an invterview, a driving school or driving park. Something like that. Would be interesting if he finally realises or implements that in the next game. If PSVR2 is that good, coupled with the CAN-Gateway ECU or some new variant of it, could get more young people into learning to drive and open the door to be enthusiastic about automobiles.
It’d definitely be a real good tool for manufacturers to start working with PD to get new cars in the game for test drives. Something like that.

Trying to pre-order PSVR2 from PS Direct (🎉) and I keep getting this error when I checkout. Anyone else held the same problem or knows a fix? Clearing cookies does not help. Thanks.
1675621916501.png

I think the thing with all of these things, you have to be pragmatic.

A percentage of players can't do VR for accessibility or vision issues.

The cost is expensive, especially after all the other driving peripherals like a rig, pedals, wheel etc.

Immersive, absolutely and I enjoyed when I did it. But hand on heart it's not for me. Other people will love it and get what they want from it. No qualms on that at all.

Trying to pre-order PSVR2 from PS Direct (🎉) and I keep getting this error when I checkout. Anyone else held the same problem or knows a fix? Clearing cookies does not help. Thanks.View attachment 1228497
Check for order confirmation email. I had the same thing happen after I confirmed payment and went to go print the screen. Confirmation emails were received so I printed those.

Check for order confirmation email. I had the same thing happen after I confirmed payment and went to go print the screen. Confirmation emails were received so I printed those.
I managed to fix it by clearing browser cookies manually (I thought closing the incognito window and reopening it would do the trick, but apparently not). Thanks anyway!

Looking forward to this one, I've never experienced VR or AR before, but I figured this is probably the best time to try it out since it works fully with GT7! Just three weeks now..

me saying it has zero campaign for everybody, whereas at it's best psvr2 will have 1million players in GT7 (at best)....if so

1 million??? Probably not even 100k since that's the amount of players that we usually see trying all of the time trials. And obviously even amongst that amount, very few are going to buy it just for GT7. Realistically, about 20k players will buy PSVR2 just to play GT7, and I'm being extremely generous here.

As you say and well, it's a very nice thing for the 1%... But irrelevant to everyone else. PSVR2 + Wheel/Pedals + Stands would put you at well over 1.000$ worth of spending, an amount the 99% will not go for.
So while it's all good that the game was made with PSVR2 in mind from day 1, neglecting the 99% of players that simply wanted a good and lenghty single player campaign, is... just ridiculous beyond words.

Last edited:
I used to do track day racing and autocross for about 25 years. It was some of the best times of my life. The people I met and the driving techniques learned were invaluable. VIR was my “home”, go-to track and it has become a very special place for me. My very last outing was a two day event at COTA.

As great as that had all been, the amount of money, time and work that’s needed is immense. There are of course ways to do it on the less expensive side, but it still is quite the endeavor. After hundreds of track days, I sold my cars and all my equipment.

I still sim raced on flat screen, but it didn’t compare. Then I got my first headset, a Samsung Odyssey. My wife didn’t see me for two weeks. I raced in every car at every track in every sim that supported VR. It felt like I was really in THAT car at THAT track, even though the technology was young.

As the tech and graphics have improved, so had the sense of immersion. There were times that my friends and I would race in an open lobby at VIR and when we finished, I felt EXACTLY like I did when I made the 4 hour drive home from a track day there. It was very strange. Definitely a contributor was that I had been to that track so many times, but I would be walking around my house with that strange feeling that I just returned from Danville VA (where the track is).

Having a dedicated sim rig with high end equipment definitely is pricey, but it’s just a tiny drop in the bucket compared to doing it in real life. It also,of course, can’t give the sensation on your body or cornering Gs and braking, however, in a good car, at a good track, the whole experience is pretty damn close.

See? That’s dope. Using VR as a learning tool.

I remember Kaz mentioning, in an invterview, a driving school or driving park. Something like that. Would be interesting if he finally realises or implements that in the next game. If PSVR2 is that good, coupled with the CAN-Gateway ECU or some new variant of it, could get more young people into learning to drive and open the door to be enthusiastic about automobiles.
It’d definitely be a real good tool for manufacturers to start working with PD to get new cars in the game for test drives. Something like that.
That sounds really cool, maybe it’s in the next game, PD already confirmed that they now started working on the next GT (wondering why there isn’t any news about it here).

That sounds really cool, maybe it’s in the next game, PD already confirmed that they now started working on the next GT (wondering why there isn’t any news about it here).
Early days. We'll probably start getting reports on concepts they're working on for the future. Gtp usually report on some new fundings that may not translate to the current game, but something Kaz always eludes to in future. He'll definitely be cryptic about anything he says.

Do you know if in the VR race replays if you can sit in the passenger seat like in GTS? (Any more detail on the VR Replay would be appreciated.)

Also can you rev the engine in the cockpit of the garage?

Thanks for answering our q's
I'm afraid I don't know too many more details about VR race replays aside from what I've already shared. I pressed a few buttons on the controller while I was watching it but nothing really changed, so I'm not sure there are a lot of options with it.

All of the viewing locations that I could see were track-side and stationary, presumably so as not to induce motion sickness. It feels like you're standing next to or near the track and you can watch the cars drive by. The screen quickly fades to black and then you're suddenly "standing" in a new location as the cars progress around the lap.

I don't believe that you can rev the engine in VR Showroom, if that's what you're referring to. The car is "off" in that mode but you can turn on/off the headlights and indicator lights.
This statement pushes me another step
closer to purchasing…“You can also really understand the ups and downs, the undulations on the track. When you’re driving on tracks like the Nurburgring, the hills that really look like walls to you when you’re driving, it does look like that when you’re driving VR. The drop-off at the Corkscrew at Laguna really feels like as if you’re going over a cliff.
It really does.

I have driven Laguna Seca several times in real life. It's hard to describe what the Corkscrew looks or feels like, but doing it in VR comes close. Having that sense of perspective makes you feel like you're peering over an edge, something which does not translate to a TV.
It's a sort-of mistranslation from the interview, and not really news, so we chose not to cover it.
Is GT7 the only game that can be played with the new PS VR2?

What about games like ACC or Project Cars 2?
GT7 is not the only one. You can find a list of all the PSVR 2 compatible games here.

Only games which specifically have PSVR 2 support can be used with it. I believe Kunos has stated ACC will not have PSVR 2 support and Slightly Mad Studios, the producer of Project CARS 2, no longer exists, so neither of those titles will work with it.

Might have been asked already, but any idea if the cars without a modeled interior will be driveable in VR? I use the Aston Martin VGT mostly for Tokyo grinding, but wondering if I'll need to use something else in VR. Think I saw someone say those cars weren't usable in GTS, not a big deal if they can't be used though.

Only games which specifically have PSVR 2 support can be used with it. I believe Kunos has stated ACC will not have PSVR 2 support and Slightly Mad Studios, the producer of Project CARS 2, no longer exists, so neither of those titles will work with it.
Thank you for such a quick answer, as well as the other information you've clarified for us.

I'm gutted that this is the only racing game that can use the PS VR2.

The footage as well as the explanations of how it works with GT7 makes me want to get it so badly... But, not being able to use it for other racing titles is a deal breaker.

For you guys that play a ton of GT7, I'm jealous! It looks like you are going to have a ton of fun with this.

Last edited:
I'm glad for those people who'll get their first experience in VR with GT7. As for me, PC VR is better for me, because there are more racing games with VR support for PC, which didn't have VR support for PSVR1 all these years due low perfomance of the PS4
Good post and I agree with you 100%. I'm in the same boat where, if I wanted to I could get a PS5 and the PSVR2, but wont. Because all indications are that GT7 will come out on the PC. And....assuming it does, I see no reason why Polyphony won't add VR support for the PC version(can you imagine playing GT7 in a Pimax 8KX or Varjo Areo? drools ). It would be a massive slap in the face to the GT fans that waited for the PC version if it doesn't. So I'm good just waiting and seeing what happens :)

I apologize if this has been addressed already.
It’s tough keeping up with this rapidly moving thread.
Any word on headset compatibility and comfort?
I have the Sony pulse 3D head set and was curious how these and other headsets fit with the VR head piece.
Thank you.

I apologize if this has been addressed already.
It’s tough keeping up with this rapidly moving thread.
Any word on headset compatibility and comfort?
I have the Sony pulse 3D head set and was curious how these and other headsets fit with the VR head piece.
Thank you.
Like a glove - I expect the pulse was designed after PSVR2

Back