GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
My first drive was in the MX-5 convertible at Laguna Seca in full sunlight and there were definitely shadows. I didn't pay close attention to them but best I can recall, they looked really good.
How funny -- I was at PD Studio in Japan for their end of year party and I got to experience this as well, same car and track...

Then we went for some wacky stuff around the Nordschleife: Tomahawk X, karts, etc.

Driving a kart around the Nordschleife in VR was a really surreal experience, I genuinely felt like I could stop the kart, get up out of it and just walk on the track.

Biggest thing for me having been a pad user for so long and competing on wheel: I'm so used to no feedback that I never really felt in tune with the force feedback on wheels. Driving in VR was the missing component for me that finally made everything the car was doing feel spot on. The difference is seriously impressive, and I think people that have the full experience, while maybe not optimal for some for raw speed, will be wowed by just how fun it is. I loved every second of it.

I’m a child waiting for christmass 2.
I think we all are at this point! 😁

Just thought of something. Isn't the Chaparral VGT driving position head first with your feet behind you? Would be funny rigging the wheel and pedals to match it in VR
Thought the same when I first tried it in GT sport.
It was a little bothersome so I didn't even try, but let us know if you manage to do it and share some pictures! 🤣

How funny -- I was at PD Studio in Japan for their end of year party and I got to experience this as well, same car and track...

Then we went for some wacky stuff around the Nordschleife: Tomahawk X, karts, etc.

Driving a kart around the Nordschleife in VR was a really surreal experience, I genuinely felt like I could stop the kart, get up out of it and just walk on the track.

Biggest thing for me having been a pad user for so long and competing on wheel: I'm so used to no feedback that I never really felt in tune with the force feedback on wheels. Driving in VR was the missing component for me that finally made everything the car was doing feel spot on. The difference is seriously impressive, and I think people that have the full experience, while maybe not optimal for some for raw speed, will be wowed by just how fun it is. I loved every second of it.
Lucky you! 😁

I'd dream to go to a Polyphony bounenkai, but 2022 was probably one of the best years to be around! ^^

Thanks for your feedbacks, it got me hyped even more!

Last edited:
Gotta say... All the attention to detail of the car models is really going to come alive once players experience it in PSVR2. From what I've seen in the videos, I don't think any other game can match this level of immersion yet.

A shame that just a few of us will have the chance to actually get that amazing experience. As if a decent enough wheel wasn't already expensive by itself (at least 300€+), now we also need an extra 550€ for the PSVR2. Not many can afford this. I probably won't... But it's a good step up for the game, I think this is going to be a lot more than just a gimmick.

I’m refreshing every 15 minutes.🤣Porbably not just me…hoping to find new content.. The more I read the more hyped I get. I just red that Kaz is in particular proud of a few specific things:

GT7+PSVR2 now for the first time really gives you the feeling of a realistic SIM.

Because the base vehicle content / resolution / Lidar scans are made for higher spec (ps6 etc) applications VR Showroom is supposed to be stunning using xtremely high quality 3D models exclusive to gt7

Kaz states the one of the goals was to eliminate/greatly reduce montion sickness. And is proud that with the finetuning of the whole system and software they have achieved exactly this. And therefore it is sort of a game changer for that alone.

Really looking forward to your interview @Jordan 👌👍💪

Last edited:
I’ve sadly figured out I’m not going to be able to drive in VR, because of the cockpit instrument displays in the cars I like.

They are all in kmh and my brain cannot compute the conversion to a civilised unit, along with all the other stuff it has to do to race. Loads of them don’t even have a proper rev counter either or gear display. I can barely drive in MT with the hud on, this will be terrible.

I drive for Citroen in the GTWS - this is the cockpit of the Gr.4 GT - no clue what gear I’m in.

A8B8D8DC-97EC-4527-AA36-6F962B536562.jpeg

Sad times, I will be stuck with the boring flat version forever.

Last edited:
I’ve sadly figured out I’m not going to be able to drive in VR, because of the cockpit instrument displays in the cars I like.

They are all in kmh and my brain cannot compute the conversion to a civilised unit, along with all the other stuff it has to do to race. Loads of them don’t even have a proper rev counter either or gear display. I can barely drive in MT with the hud on, this will be terrible.

I drive for Citroen in the GTWS - this is the cockpit of the Gr.4 GT - no clue what gear I’m in.

View attachment 1228275

Shouldn't we have the gear and tach display in the periphery like in GT Sport?

I figure a lot of players, once they experience the PSVR, will probably have to revisit and change their vote of which GT game is the worse in the series, yes? ;)
All is forgiven.

View attachment 1228275

Well you've got a HUD I'm assuming to your right, like in GTS VR.

View attachment 1228275

In some of the pics in this thread, there are instrument displays. We may be able to toggle a few options.

Does anyone who plans on getting the PSVR2 wear glasses or contacts? For whatever reason my contacts often get dry and even fall out when I’m playing so I have to wear my glasses and I wonder if it’s comfortable or if the screen is close enough I wouldn’t need my glasses.

Does anyone who plans on getting the PSVR2 wear glasses or contacts? For whatever reason my contacts often get dry and even fall out when I’m playing so I have to wear my glasses and I wonder if it’s comfortable or if the screen is close enough I wouldn’t need my glasses.
Jordan pointed out we can wear glasses, comfortably.

There is a HUD available.

Also don't bother with accurate conversions, just go with 100 is 60.

That means 50 is 30, 150 is 90, 200 is 120, 250 is 150, and 300 is 180. If you want to know 100mph, that's 160km/h (and 200 is obviously 320).

There's no need to care about any more precision than that - unless you have a specific corner speed in mind, such as 145mph through the apex of whatever, in which case work it out beforehand: roughly divide by six (145 is close enough to 20 sixes [120] and four sixes [24], so 24 sixes) and add a zero (240).

It's how I do it, and I do mpg fuel economy multiplications in my head (9=2, easy), because we buy fuel in litres for some reason, while driving a real car.

100=60 :D

There is a HUD available.
The traxion article that I quoted the other day said that you have to use the in-cockpit instruments, the HUD that pops up as you look to the side is just the MFD, but I’ll take the word of you guys.

As a fellow Brit I always turn my settings to metric so am used to it and it is now my preference.

I actually wish the U.K. would ditch miles but since we don’t like Europe anymore I don’t see that happening

The traxion article that I quoted the other day said that you have to use the in-cockpit instruments, the HUD that pops up as you look to the side is just the MFD, but I’ll take the word of you guys.
The HUD, MFD, and lap time information are all visible while playing in VR.

They are displayed as semi-transparent windows floating inside the interior of the car.

After watching @Jordan and other's hands on reviews I've decided to preorder the PSVR2. The anticipation reminds me of getting the Genesis 32X to play Virtual Racing back in the day. I wanted that arcade game experience at home. Fast forward and now I get to have the feeling of driving in real life in my living room. I already have a wheel and rig, so this is just a natural progression for me.

There is one thing though I haven't seen mentioned here and not having much VR racing experience I was wondering about. How much time does it take to get used to driving on the wrong (opposite) :D side of the car? I know I'll get used to it in time, but it will feel a little awkward at first. I'm assuming because of being on a track it will be easier to get accustomed to.

After watching @Jordan and other's hands on reviews I've decided to preorder the PSVR2. The anticipation reminds me of getting the Genesis 32X to play Virtual Racing back in the day. I wanted that arcade game experience at home. Fast forward and now I get to have the feeling of driving in real life in my living room. I already have a wheel and rig, so this is just a natural progression for me.

There is one thing though I haven't seen mentioned here and not having much VR racing experience I was wondering about. How much time does it take to get used to driving on the wrong (opposite) :D side of the car? I know I'll get used to it in time, but it will feel a little awkward at first. I'm assuming because of being on a track it will be easier to get accustomed to.
Are you using a manual gearbox?
As the side that it's mounted on, may be weird, with the opposite hand moving for gear changes.

As the side that it's mounted on, may be weird, with the opposite hand moving for gear changes.
Yeah, I drive manual but use paddle shifters on the wheel. The reason I asked was because I typically use chase cam. That's always been my preferred view since I grew up playing racing games in arcades and am fast with it. I've never driven a right-hand drive car before.

Last edited:
That's a good question. My first laps with the PSVR2 were in the right-hand drive MX-5.

It does indeed feel a bit strange, just like driving a right-hand drive car in real life. I'd say that's part of the fun, though. :)

I did the same exact thing about Virtual Racer! I went to the BX at my Air Force base the day it was released and played it for a week straight. Driving on either side of the car is fine because you get a sense of depth and size for the car. You can place it very close to the curb on your right and you have a good idea of how much room is off to your left. I leave my shifter always to the right and after a few corners in, I don't even think about where it's at in the virtual car.

As an European who moved to Japan almost 10 years ago, I can say that you'll get used to it in no time, in real life as well as in-game.

I'm playing with manual transmission most of the time and I have no problem with the shifter's side neither. I sometimes change side to adapt to the cars I intend to drive, and can play both sides without a problem. Just needs a few minutes to adapt your shifting.

Most of Japanese and English cars have the shifter on the left, except for Group C and Jaguar cars which have right mounted shifter and a very few exceptions. Almost all the other cars in the game have right mounted shifter, so just mount your shifter on the left if you're a JDM lover and on the right if you're more of the Europen/American/Group C cars guy.

Or just mount it on the side you're the most comfortable with, it won't make a big difference since it will be on the opposite side with half of the cars anyway. Even if it won't match your shifting on the screen, you'll get used to it in no time 👍

Last edited:
Pre-ordered - it looks totally amazing, and I can't wait to play it!

...now does anyone know how I can obtain the McLaren MP4 in preparation? When 1.27 released with that car included, I expected it to be a freebie. Instead it was 8million credits. I put in the hard yards and grinded, but by the time I could afford it, the Legendary car was no longer available to purchase. Arrgghhh! Why is this stuff so needlessly annoying? Just let me pretend to be Senna already!!!

Pre-ordered - it looks totally amazing, and I can't wait to play it!

...now does anyone know how I can obtain the McLaren MP4 in preparation? When 1.27 released with that car included, I expected it to be a freebie. Instead it was 8million credits. I put in the hard yards and grinded, but by the time I could afford it, the Legendary car was no longer available to purchase. Arrgghhh! Why is this stuff so needlessly annoying? Just let me pretend to be Senna already!!!

That’s only $80 of purchased credits! 😜🙄😕

The HUD, MFD, and lap time information are all visible while playing in VR.

They are displayed as semi-transparent windows floating inside the interior of the car.
Thanks for all your infos and feedbacks!

Do you know if we can hide the HUD like in GT sport? I used to disable it in GT sport because it broke the immersion. Of course you'll need it for certain races, but as for races without pit strategy I'd prefer to turn it off. Even races with tire/fuel consumption and dynamic weather could be really fun without HUD and just relying on your dashboard and the clouds 😁

Seems way more subtle than in GT sport thought, so it might not be a big issue, but I really hope you can disable it.

Last edited:
all very nice, but increased lap times, not for competitive players
I totally understand and it's a sad truth, even if I think that you can do as well or even better with practice.

But you cannot even use shifter and handbrake in sport mode, and cannot play with too much detailed FFB because it will slow you down. Now, if competition also means that you have to miss the whole VR experience, I'm happier than ever to be a solo player!

Back