GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,803 comments
Your a video guy, ya?

Remember the a7R? And S..

We nuked a phase and a hassy. Thought we were being smart going with the R..cause resolution. Wow that was fun.

Anyway, sony’s behavior on that little gem kinda gives me hope

Audio guy, but I hear ya

If we can get enhanced clarity, that'd be a godsend
I'm pretty new to the whole VR thing. I got the PSVR2 only for GT7 as many people told me it was better than upgrading my GT DD Pro to a DD+ for the money. They were right. The experience is amazing.

That said, I do find it let down by the poor quality lens that causes a lot of blurriness and the processing that causes image pop and reduced resolution in the distance (which makes it seem more blurry again). Also I experience a lot of image "tearing" - not sure if that is the right term but where the two parts of the 3d image do not mesh together and it kind of looks like bad interlacing from back in the day.

So I get conflicted over using the PSVR2. Racing is just so much more visceral but also intuitive and real feeling but also lower quality, visually.... I feel like I need an opticians appointment whenever I race.

If the PS5Pro can improve the visual quality I would be all over it and buy it in a heartbeat. But I would probably not get another VR headset unless they can get the resolution and image quality to start to compare to dual 4k or better. PS6?

Last edited:
Audio guy, but I hear ya
Ahh. Gotcha

Those years make me twitch..still..!

And we were throwing away repeated 5 figure days back then. All for things which eventually..mostly..were cleaned up by firmware updates.

Sony has always struck me as a company, with brilliant engineers and talent, and some of the worst managers in existence.

I'm pretty new to the whole VR thing. I got the PSVR2 only for GT7 as many people told me it was better than upgrading my GT DD Pro to a DD+ for the money. They were right. The experience is amazing.

That said, I do find it let down by the poor quality lens that causes a lot of blurriness and the processing that causes image pop and reduced resolution in the distance (which makes it seem more blurry again). Also I experience a lot of image "tearing" - not sure if that is the right term but where the two parts of the 3d image do not mesh together and it kind of looks like bad interlacing from back in the day.

So it I get conflicted over using the PSVR2. Racing is just so much more visceral but also intuitive and real feeling but also lower quality, visually.... I feel like I need an opticians appointment whenever I race.

If the PS5Pro can improve the visual quality I would be all over it and buy it in a heartbeat. But I would probably not get another VR headset unless they can get the resolution and image quality to start to compare to dual 4k or better. PS6?
It can be difficult to find the sweet-spot in terms of headset placement in relation to your eyes. It's manageable once you do. IMO, once you're racing a lot of the physical anomalies disappear because you're focusing on the apex and not just sight seeing...

I think we can hope/expect to see improvements in draw distance/LOD (level of detail) rendering. It's very jarring and noticeable when the low polycount car models transform into the high poly count model, I think that'll be extended further out.

Also, I think replays will be a lot less blurry. They're unwatchable in VR (for me).

I haven't insinuated or stated that my opinion is a fact. It's just that, an opinion. No different than yours.
sorry didn't want to sound rude.

I just wanted to clarify, that PD is doing things very slow and "not having any PSVR upgrade" doesn't mean that PD don't care.

That's it.

It can be difficult to find the sweet-spot in terms of headset placement in relation to your eyes. It's manageable once you do
What doesn't help is whenever I put the headset on or take off I appear to get smears (i presume from the gasket) over my glasses and that does not help. I've ordered RX lens inserts from vr-lens-lab which have been made and shipped today, so this weekend I will not have to deal with glasses again. I truly hope that helps in keeping the sweat spot. I'm getting better at maintaining the sweet spot but it does tend to drift in and out as I race...

What doesn't help is whenever I put the headset on or take off I appear to get smears (i presume from the gasket) over my glasses and that does not help. I've ordered RX lens inserts from vr-lens-lab which have been made and shipped today, so this weekend I will not have to deal with glasses again. I truly hope that helps in keeping the sweat spot. I'm getting better at maintaining the sweet spot but it does tend to drift in and out as I race...
it will be far better with lenses 🔥

Oh wow. Yeah. That would suck and be nearly impossible(for me!).

I was just typing that your lens’s may be covered in face oil with how you described it. My skin isn’t oily, but i clean the lens’s with zeiss disposables daily. It’s noticeable if i slack, and day 2 is pretty much a disaster.

Once those glasses are out of there you can move the visor towards your face a little more, reducing the scuba mask effect, and really find a good spot to work with. The combined effect should be noteworthy.

That said, ugh fresnels.. the psvr2 was pretty much my minimum spec to try vr. Its cool. Im very happy with it..but man..you can see the potential for incredible once gear catches up. No idea how people are ok with quest. A cheap turd…is still a turd. But, to each their own.

Ps: im seeing canon etc releasing vr gear lately. So i guess the more cost effective video shooters can now do vr too.

The entire VR market cooled off significantly while they were still in R&D. They were already in too deep to pull the plug, but you could already tell from the very low key reveal (blog posts) that they had very low hopes for the device.

From what I heard it still managed to sell way below their lowered expectations.

It sucks, but that's how it is.

Neither the market nor the technology are ready.

Apple are also learning that right about now.

100%

GT8 should be one of them.
Yeah I live deep in the silicon valley

My mom worked at META for the VR Quest dev team during covid...Meta got rid of a lot of their VR development too for more AI options...its weird seems like everything is focused on the software as far as VC funds

Even AR seems to be loosing momentum as far as tech development.

It's absolutely a PITA, zero argument there. As a former glasses wearer (lasik), I def understand your frustration. The lens will definitely help.

I'd recommend the following as well:

Globular Cluster CMP2 Comfortable Mod for PS VR 2 - Sweet Spot Keeper

I was just typing that your lens’s may be covered in face oil with how you described it. My skin isn’t oily, but i clean the lens’s with zeiss disposables daily. It’s noticeable if i slack, and day 2 is pretty much a disaster.
Same.. Makes a big difference cleaning them often.

edit- I use these jumbo ones though, apparently you can hand wash them which I'm going to have to do soon, I'm running out of "new" sides. They are huge though and work really well.
ziess wipes.jpg

Last edited:
Reading all these comments... I just had to do it.

viber_image_2024-07-30_19-05-16-659.jpg

I set up everything last night and had my first proper go with this, having basically no previous VR experience whatsoever.

First thing I did was going to VR showroom with my factory red F40, in front of the GT Cafe, and oh my god jesus christ, I almost **** myself from amazement when the image appeared, I was literally reaching with my hand to touch the car. Chrouched down to read the details on the tires, looking at the brakes, the lights, the details are ridiculous.

I spent the first hour probably just switching between cars and admiring the enteriors and exteriors, and then it was time to have the first drive. Jumped back in the F40 and gave it a spin on Grand Valley at sunset. No words to describe the feeling, the seating position, the sound, steering animation, the sense of depth, the surroundings. Tracks seem wider, and I don't know how but I can actually feel the elevation change even without the motion sim, probably the brain doing its things. I felt a bit sick in the first 30 seconds, but it just dissapeared when I processed everything and got used to it, and I kept on driving for the next 4 hours without a single issue. Well, that's a lie, I have issues today because I can't keep my eyes open at work because of the 3AM driving.

Some positive conclusions from the first session:
  • The feeling itself is incredible while driving, really not comparable to the TV, it's like a completely different game, like it's not even a game
  • The best moment of the entire session is when I had my first proper race against the AI, group 3, Spa, cars flying and buzzing around you, in front of you, going throug eau rouge at full speed and competitors are right there 1 meter left or right, it was actually scary at some point, I was literally afraid that I will crash into somebody, I felt like in real traffic
  • When braking too late and hitting someone from the back, even if it's like just a small tap, you get a real sense of space, how long is the bonnet, and the additional feedback/vibration from the headset makes this even more immersive, I was feeling bad like I just caused a real accident :lol:
  • I think I can catch the rear end much much quicker and easier, almost didn't have a single spin, even in the Gr3 Merc at Spa, in the rain, without TC, somehow you just feel the car much better than in 2D view
  • Feeling of the elevation change is mind boggling, tried the 190E Evo at the Eiger 500PP race, and I was left speechless
  • Now all the PD bull**** about collecting cars actually makes some sense, driving the legends even in stock form is an incredible experience, even if they are not usable in races and events, just sit in them and drive around the Ring/Valley/Spa/Eiger and enjoy
  • I actually had no physical issues, I read about motion sickness, sweating, headaches etc... None so far

Some negatives:
  • I definitely have to practice this very much, I'm not nearly as fast as on the TV, but I expected this, it's a process, like changing from the pad to a steering wheel, I kept missing my braking points and I still need to learn what the real track limits are
  • I'm really missing the race order list while racing, I don't know the gaps, that's probably my biggest issue with this, rest of the HUD is more or less ok, but how is it possible that we don't have the option to turn this on?
  • The VR2 itself is a bit picky when scanning the room and maintaining my play area, had to readjust 5 or 6 times, and every time I turn off the lights and the TV because I don't want to wake the kids, it has some issues after a while and I had to rescan the room (even though I'm sitting in the same place all the time, in my sim rig)
  • The sharpness and the clarity is far from ideal, I mean I was not expecting it to be as crisp as on a new 4k TV, but still I believe this could be much better, when I'm driving the car enterior looks sharp and nice but the track in front of me is kind of blurry and pixelated, I hope this will be improved with some later update or even with a PS5 Pro / PS6 / whatever is next
Can't wait for my next session tongiht :D

View attachment 1376972

I set up everything last night and had my first proper go with this, having basically no previous VR experience whatsoever.

First thing I did was going to VR showroom with my factory red F40, in front of the GT Cafe, and oh my god jesus christ, I almost **** myself from amazement when the image appeared, I was literally reaching with my hand to touch the car. Chrouched down to read the details on the tires, looking at the brakes, the lights, the details are ridiculous.

I spent the first hour probably just switching between cars and admiring the enteriors and exteriors, and then it was time to have the first drive. Jumped back in the F40 and gave it a spin on Grand Valley at sunset. No words to describe the feeling, the seating position, the sound, steering animation, the sense of depth, the surroundings. Tracks seem wider, and I don't know how but I can actually feel the elevation change even without the motion sim, probably the brain doing its things. I felt a bit sick in the first 30 seconds, but it just dissapeared when I processed everything and got used to it, and I kept on driving for the next 4 hours without a single issue. Well, that's a lie, I have issues today because I can't keep my eyes open at work because of the 3AM driving.

• The feeling itself is incredible while driving, really not comparable to the TV, it's like a completely different game, like it's not even a game
  • The best moment of the entire session is when I had my first proper race against the AI, group 3, Spa, cars flying and buzzing around you, in front of you, going throug eau rouge at full speed and competitors are right there 1 meter left or right, it was actually scary at some point, I was literally afraid that I will crash into somebody, I felt like in real traffic
  • When braking too late and hitting someone from the back, even if it's like just a small tap, you get a real sense of space, how long is the bonnet, and the additional feedback/vibration from the headset makes this even more immersive, I was feeling bad like I just caused a real accident :lol:
  • I think I can catch the rear end much much quicker and easier, almost didn't have a single spin, even in the Gr3 Merc at Spa, in the rain, without TC, somehow you just feel the car much better than in 2D view
  • Feeling of the elevation change is mind boggling, tried the 190E Evo at the Eiger 500PP race, and I was left speechless
  • Now all the PD bull**** about collecting cars actually makes some sense, driving the legends even in stock form is an incredible experience, even if they are not usable in races and events, just sit in them and drive around the Ring/Valley/Spa/Eiger and enjoy
  • I actually had no physical issues, I read about motion sickness, sweating, headaches etc... None so far

Some negatives:
  • I definitely have to practice this very much, I'm not nearly as fast as on the TV, but I expected this, it's a process, like changing from the pad to a steering wheel, I kept missing my braking points and I still need to learn what the real track limits are
  • I'm really missing the race order list while racing, I don't know the gaps, that's probably my biggest issue with this, rest of the HUD is more or less ok, but how is it possible that we don't have the option to turn this on?
  • The VR2 itself is a bit picky when scanning the room and maintaining my play area, had to readjust 5 or 6 times, and every time I turn off the lights and the TV because I don't want to wake the kids, it has some issues after a while and I had to rescan the room (even though I'm sitting in the same place all the time, in my sim rig)
  • The sharpness and the clarity is far from ideal, I mean I was not expecting it to be as crisp as on a new 4k TV, but still I believe this could be much better, when I'm driving the car enterior looks sharp and nice but the track in front of me is kind of blurry and pixelated, I hope this will be improved with some later update or even with a PS5 Pro / PS6 / whatever is next
Pretty much sums up my expedience the last couple of weeks. Welcome to the club.

View attachment 1376972

Some negatives:
So nice to read. Enjoy it, it’s a fantastic experience.
Try out some of the other VR games as well. Like Moss 1&2

@Vule, great to hear about your first experience. I can still remember that sense of wonder when I first tried it. That wonder may have dulled a bit with time but it's still there every time I boot up the game.

You can put me in the group of people that won't be playing GT8 unless VR is supported.

@Vule, great to hear about your first experience. I can still remember that sense of wonder when I first tried it. That wonder may have dulled a bit with time but it's still there every time I boot up the game.

You can put me in the group of people that won't be playing GT8 unless VR is supported.
That first sense of wonder...
I called my wife in amazement with "you have to check this" and she couldnt believe it either :lol:

@Vule , @Bass Addict : welcome to the club!
You wont regret it!

@Vule @Bass Addict @TheNormsk
Amazing that you still did the step even though the VR has been out since 1.5 years! I am pretty sure after some time you are at least equally fast or even faster! I always love reading first time VR experiences!

And yes, with the VR the game is even fun offline, just driving all these beautiful cars.
There is no way back by the way. Once you got used to it, you will never race flat anymore. Unfortunately the „wow“ effect will go down after a while and it becomes normal. Still the best race feeling ever. I even added a motion system a year later, works perfect in combination.

There is no way back by the way. Once you got used to it, you will never race flat anymore. Unfortunately the „wow“ effect will go down after a while and it becomes normal. Still the best race feeling ever. I even added a motion system a year later, works perfect in combination.
I think the wow factor has already become more normal for me. Now I'm thinking less about the VR** and more about the driving. Now it feels just more normal and 2d flat screen driving just feels weird and "off".

** I still think about it because of slipping headset and focal sweet spot variability but that should come to an end soon as my new RX lens inserts arrive tomorrow and the recommended head strap arrived today.

I think the wow factor has already become more normal for me. Now I'm thinking less about the VR** and more about the driving. Now it feels just more normal and 2d flat screen driving just feels weird and "off".

** I still think about it because of slipping headset and focal sweet spot variability but that should come to an end soon as my new RX lens inserts arrive tomorrow and the recommended head strap arrived today.
Using headphones helps a lot. The headset will sit on top of the headphones and won't slide anymore. I am using Bose ones and a bluetooth stick for the PS5 so I don't need to connect them to any controller.

Turning off all the HUD in offline races increases the immersion (online I don't do it). Try the hypercar events, I just did one with the latest Porsche GT3, one with the Enzo and just failed the Saint-Croix one with the McLaren MP4-12C. Not sure if that car is too slow or it is me who just doesn't know the track at all. It is a shame it never comes online, it is actually fun! Maybe I try the new RUF, that car is amazing to drive as well

Last edited:
Using headphones helps a lot. The headset will sit on top of the headphones and won't slide anymore. I am using Bose ones and a bluetooth stick for the PS5 so I don't need to connect them to any controller.
I got the head strap yesterday and installed it. It makes a huge difference in comfort and keeping the headset stable. Now just waiting on my lenses and I should be all good..

I definitely have to practice this very much, I'm not nearly as fast as on the TV, but I expected this, it's a process, like changing from the pad to a steering wheel, I kept missing my braking points and I still need to learn what the real track limits are
May I quote myself saying that it took me a whole day and a half to get the hang of it, at least in time trial mode :D

Currently P18 at the RBR in the wet... This is absolutely amazing!

Back