GTP Cool Wall: 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 149 comments

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nobody likes or dislikes a Camry, they just exist.
I like it. Am I not human?
And this is not a like wall... :sly:
Exactly.
You're missing the point entirely. Car guys can like their Camry but by and large people don't think their Camry is super cool or needs to be polled on the wall. I drive a Corolla, like it, and consider myself a car enthusiast. I have zero inclination to have a 2003 Corolla put on the cool wall, and I don't think for a second that it's a cool car.
There is no reason to nominate or not nominate something. We're just curious about what would happen.

Yeah, this is kinda getting a little off topic now. @Slash, say something about the Mustang and it's clevelandness.

You're getting into W&N territory here.

If someone's enthusiastic about the Camry, that makes them no less of a car enthusiast than someone else being enthusiastic about a Mustang, an MX-5 or the Daihatsu Midget. I don't see why it would even be unlikely for a "true enthusiast" to like the Camry.
Are you suggesting that car enthusiasts aren't supposed to like the Camry? I have never seen such prejudice in my life. Camrys are cars too.

Both of you completely misunderstood my post. @Noob616 got it right.

I am explaining that it is silly to use the Camry as a comparison to the Mustang because the people who nominate GTP Cool Wall cars are car enthusiasts. Car enthusiasts are more likely to nominate cars that they are interested in, so it would be more apt to compare the number of MX-5, Celica, or Porsche 911 nominations to the number of Mustang nominations.

Both of you completely misunderstood my post. @Noob616 got it right.

I am explaining that it is silly to use the Camry as a comparison to the Mustang because the people who nominate GTP Cool Wall cars are car enthusiasts. Car enthusiasts are more likely to nominate cars that they are interested in, so it would be more apt to compare the number of MX-5, Celica, or Porsche 911 nominations to the number of Mustang nominations.
It wasn't me comparing the two. The blatant use of the word "enthusiast" in your previous post and what one is impliedly supposed to find appealing and not, did not help with the explanation at all though.

Maybe over the time we've been having these Cool Wall threads, an allergy to facetious attempts to define an enthusiast has developed. Whether they'd be serious or extremely obscurely sarcastic...

It wasn't me comparing the two. The blatant use of the word "enthusiast" in your previous post and what one is impliedly supposed to find appealing and not, did not help with the explanation at all though.

Maybe over the time we've been having these Cool Wall threads, an allergy to facetious attempts to define an enthusiast has developed. Whether they'd be serious or extremely obscurely sarcastic...

Nowhere do I try to make the term "enthusiast" into an exclusive term. I think it's reasonable to suggest that there are more car enthusiasts that are into Mustangs than there are car enthusiasts that are into Camrys. Since we were discussing the number of nominations for the name plate, all we care about is number.

Zenith is right, there are more car enthusiasts caring about Mustangs than ones that care about Camrys. That easily explains why there are more Mustang nominations. What it doesn't explain is that why there are so many different special editions of the Mustang nominated. I mean why there are 2 different 3rd gen Mustangs polled and not just one poll about 3rd gen Mustang in general.

Last edited:
Because reasons.

Different engines and different trims meant it wasn't the same out of the factory as the other and blah, blah, blah, blah.

Another Mustang? Sigh.

I guess at least it's not a "meh" kind of car.

Both of you completely misunderstood my post.

@Noob616Car enthusiasts are more likely to nominate cars that they are interested in, so it would be more apt to compare the number of MX-5, Celica, or Porsche 911 nominations to the number of Mustang nominations.

Don't forget the Skyline.

Imagine the moaning and whining if we have the same amount of Skylines being nominated and voted on.

Because reasons.

Different engines and different trims meant it wasn't the same out of the factory as the other and blah, blah, blah, blah.
This basically. There's enough major differences to warrant it as a totally different animal from the rest.

There is only minor differences in '69 and '70 Mustangs, there is no need to nominate every single one just because you like them, the results will be pretty much the same each time.

I'll give it a cool, as its a classic Mustang and not a collector's item as such, so it's cool on that account. Doesn't deserve sub zero because its just an appearance package. Much prefer the '71 to '73 model if we're talking about Mach 1s.

That said though, I am also growing tired of seeing Mustangs on here. Yeah, I get its a cult classic, a national institution, yadda yadda, but I don't see why these get a free pass on having multiple variants of the same period when there isn't that much in the way of absolute, game-changing differences between them. As others have mentioned, we could nominate variants of other cars (for instance a 330i and a 330d M Sport or something) which are similar to the Mustangs in terms of differences i.e. engine, suspension, visuals etc. Guarantee they would be derided as just being the same or even classed as a duplicate listing - but because the Mustang is popular, it somehow gets let off.

More to the point, I also don't understand why there's always essays written about why they're good in these threads. The car will speak for itself; writing what is basically a written response for why it's good is actually just dragging it down. I looked at this and said 'cool' straight away, because I think it is in a way. Reading Slash's post in the first page slightly dampened that to be brutally honest.

Take my nomination from a few weeks back, the Starlet Glanza. There where a lot of factoids about it I could've brought up, such as being able to swap parts with its coupé offspring, the Paseo, and that you could order one from the factory with a roll cage, sump guard and many other bits of motorsport paraphernalia to go rally racing. I didn't though, because those facts aren't interesting, make me look like a colossal bore and wouldn't change anyone's mind. If we're so hell-bent on having every Mustang in history polled, I at least don't want to have to come into a thread and read 'nothing else has as much presence on the road' and 'you can make it go fast for not much $$$' and how the big blocks were underpowered because those are not reasons that will make me change my mind in the slightest.

/rant

"The Mach 1's original recipe was simple: It started with a V8 powered 'Sportsroof' body and added numerous visual and performance enhancing items such as matte black hood treatment with hood pins, hood scoop (including optional Shaker scoop), competition suspension, chrome pop-open gas cap, revised wheels with Goodyear Polyglas tires, chrome exhaust tips (except 351W 2V), deluxe interior, unmissable livery and dealer optional chin spoiler, rear deck spoiler, and rear window louvers."

Wikipedia's explanation. Other than the suspension, I really don't see how there's any differences in terms of performance. It is just cosmetics to me.

"The Mach 1's original recipe was simple: It started with a V8 powered 'Sportsroof' body and added numerous visual and performance enhancing items such as matte black hood treatment with hood pins, hood scoop (including optional Shaker scoop), competition suspension, chrome pop-open gas cap, revised wheels with Goodyear Polyglas tires, chrome exhaust tips (except 351W 2V), deluxe interior, unmissable livery and dealer optional chin spoiler, rear deck spoiler, and rear window louvers."

Wikipedia's explanation. Other than the suspension, I really don't see how there's any differences in terms of performance. It is just cosmetics to me.
That as well as extra sound deadening, 6 different V8 options, 4-5 transmissions, gauge clusters, clock, etc.

extra sound deadening, 6 different V8 options, 4-5 transmissions, gauge clusters, clock, etc.
Wow. Cool.

Also, the most basic of the basic 70's muscle cars, therefore SU beyond belief.

That as well as extra sound deadening, 6 different V8 options, 4-5 transmissions, gauge clusters, clock, etc.

But is that enough to have it down as a different car to other Ford Mustangs of the same generation? Y'know, instead of having one poll each for:

Ford Mustang (1964-1973)
Ford Mustang (1974-1978)
Ford Mustang (1979-1993)
Ford Mustang (1994-2004)
Ford Mustang (2005-)

And then in each of those cool wall threads, talk about the different trim options, engines and whatever.

"First gen? There was the basic pony and the Boss 302 but then also the Boss 429 and the coupe so it averages out at cool."
"Second gen? Well, there might have been the Cobra aesthetic kit but it's uncool overall."

Instead of having a thread for each. god. damned. different. trim. level. of. Mus. tang. regardless. of. gene. ration.

So to summarise, this was polled because it has a clock? Way to go above and beyond. Not to sound harsh, but it doesn't really seem like these get polled for an actual discussion. Its more like they get polled so certain users can wax on lyrically about their favourite ever car multiple times over.

I'd say there is quite a bit of room to vote for specific models within generations if they are notable enough, like the SVO or the Shelby models; and major redesigns within a generation (like the original 1964 Mustang vs the lardass aircraft carrier from 1971-1973). That really seems fair enough for any car polled that was on sale for a long period of time with major changes over that time (like, for example, the early Peninfarina-esque 2nd generation Camaro versus the late 1970s one owned by oh so many Mexicans) or any car with a specific model that is just that much higher above the rest (like the C4 Corvette versus the C4 ZR1). That's pretty consistent with how the wall was run in the past, too.

But polling a car that looks pretty much the same at a glance as and was sold alongside one we already polled just a short while ago definitely breaks the camel's back.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mach 1 is a replacement for the GT but with different engine and exterior options, right?

And how many first gen Mustangs were polled? I only counted 4 and they are not exactly what I'd call similar.

Last edited:
In my view two cars should have to be easily distinguishable to someone with little interest in cars in order to be polled separately. ie.

Anyone can tell the difference between

1964-Ford-Mustang.jpg

and

1972-Ford-Mustang-brown.jpg

and the difference between the two's coolness is Haruhical, but let's be honest, your typical Alice or Bob on the high street wont see any difference between

img-301639-2-81815d1256228025-1966-mustang-coupe-boss-429-hood-scoop-1969-ford-mustang-mach-1-front-angle-maroon-sy.jpg

and

BOSS429.JPG

so they should both be treated as a 1969 Mustang, even if the Boss is far cooler simply because it's called the BOSS.

Was very tempted to vote uncool on this because of engine code blah blah blah.

But it looks nice, so cool it is.

Back