GTP Cool Wall: 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 149 comments

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll direct you to any of the three Honda Civic threads, where the usual pro-muscle-car members had no qualms with pointing to the stereotypes. So, it works both ways.
I don't remember posting in any of those, though it has been a while, but with it working both ways, its pretty much as guaranteed as sunlight and air. For lack of a better way to put it, its almost like a tug-of-war match. One side tries to outdo the other, but the other will come right back with the same thing.

Fun fact, this body style Mustang set 295 speed and endurance records in the C class at the Bonneville salt flats over a series of 500 mile 24 hour courses when it came out, at an average speed of 157 mph in 500 miles before they quite due to bad salt conditions which caused high speed spin outs. A secon try it averaged 158mph and ran the full 24hrs whereas it cut short before, and reached a maximum speed of 189 mph in 1 kilometer and grabbed 27 Class B records in the process, which added to the total of 295. In the altered class for the 60th anniversary of Speed Week, the a late model car in memory of the Mach 1 was modified with a 5.4L Ford GT engine and reached a top speed of 252mph on E85 fuel.

Last edited:
Engine numbers and block codes.

Uncool
This car rarely falls victim to that from what I've seen. Earlier Mustangs, sure. Not a Mach 1 unless its a Drag Pack car which is when it actually has a significant difference in value.

This car rarely falls victim to that from what I've seen. Earlier Mustangs, sure. Not a Mach 1 unless its a Drag Pack car which is when it actually has a significant difference in value.

It doesn't have to be even be about having the correct numbers. When I say "engine numbers and block codes" I mean people talking about engine numbers, outputs and block codes. Like Tornado pointed out, this:

The OP is missing the 429 CJ and SCJ engines with a rated 375hp and 445 lb-ft of torque. There was also 4 different 351s, 2 that had 250hp (355 and 360 lb-ft), one that had 290 hp (385 lb-ft), and one that had 300hp (385 lb-ft) (which later in 1971 would go on to make 330hp). Also missing the 390ci V8, with 320hp and 427 torque. Please fix :)

is not cool. At all.

It doesn't have to be even be about having the correct numbers. When I say "engine numbers and block codes" I mean people talking about engine numbers, outputs and block codes. Like Tornado pointed out, this:

*Slash's engine post*

is not cool. At all.

But wouldn't that make Slash uncool for knowing it has those engine numbers, outputs and block codes?

The car itself doesn't know that.

Anyway for me. Sub-Zero. It's one of the Mustangs you think of when talking about them. Eventhough I'd prefer a Boss 302 or a '69 Mach 1 over this one.

Uncool by association. It happens, and this car and it's many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many polled brothers are sometimes under that umbrella.

By the way, that's 10 Mustangs we've already had on the cool wall. This is our 11th. I'm pretty damn sick of the sight of them, which really doesn't help when voting. JAFM definitely comes in to play.

Over the coming months, I expect to see not only the Rover 800, but also the Rover 820, Rover 820e, Rover 820i, Rover 825i, Rover 825SD, Rover 827i, Rover 827SLi and Rover Vitesse. It's only fair.

Uncool. While it may not be a collector's car that brings a ton of money at auction, it's still a vehicle owned by "car show people" and those people aren't cool.

Uncool by association. It happens, and this car and it's many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many polled brothers are sometimes under that umbrella.

By the way, that's 10 Mustangs we've already had on the cool wall. This is our 11th. I'm pretty damn sick of the sight of them, which really doesn't help when voting. JAFM definitely comes in to play.

Over the coming months, I expect to see not only the Rover 800, but also the Rover 820, Rover 820e, Rover 820i, Rover 825i, Rover 825SD, Rover 827i, Rover 827SLi and Rover Vitesse. It's only fair.

You won't like my next nomination after the Lexus in that case.

is not cool. At all.
And as I said, that's the OPs fault for not providing all the information it should have. That and the cars coolness is separate. I was just trying to fix it.

it's still a vehicle owned by "car show people" and those people aren't cool.

This is true and untrue to some extent.

It's cool, but it's no Shelby
The only major difference between the Shelby and this was the front and and taillights.

I just love how this car sticks out so much.

IMG_3348.JPG

@Slash Well, it would stick out if it's on the end with nothing in front of it (from the perspective of the photo)

Swap it on the other side of the van with that Detroitbox and the Mustang is in the crowd not sticking out and the Detroitbox is getting prominence.

Really, that was a horrible photo to try and reason that it sticks out in a crowd.

Because it's a bright orange in among a sea of drab colours.
Factory paint job :P

That and the styling/design sticks out IMO. "One of these things is not like the rest"

How about, Austin Seven, Morris Mini Minor, Austin Mini, Morris Mini, Austin Mini Cooper, Morris Mini Cooper, Austin Mini Cooper S, Morris Mini Cooper S, Austin Mini Countryman, Morris Mini Traveller... maybe I should stop before I get too much off-topic.

Mach 1 has some really uncool features including factory spoiler, front splitter, "speed stripes", scoop on the bonnet. All it needs is 4WD, blue colour and Subaru badge before it would be like rating Subaru Impreza WRX STI of the 70s.

Mach 1 has some really uncool features including factory spoiler, front splitter, "speed stripes", scoop on the bonnet. All it needs is 4WD, blue colour and Subaru badge before it would be like rating Subaru Impreza WRX STI of the 70s.

"Drag strip bro, Mickey Thompsons bro."

The front splitter, louvers, wing etc were all options that could be ordered, they were not standard. This is how most Mach 1s rolled off the lot.

1970_Ford_Mustang_Mach_1_Fastback_Front_1.jpg

1970_Ford_Mustang_Mach_1_Fastback_Rear_1.jpg

The extra stuff is 95% of the time added by enthusiasts and is part of the Mustang image. But like I said, that stuff was NOT standard equipment.

The front splitter, louvers, wing etc were all options that could be ordered, they were not standard. This is how most Mach 1s rolled off the lot.

The extra stuff is 95% of the time added by enthusiasts and is part of the Mustang image. But like I said, that stuff was NOT standard equipment.

If they're options then they count. If they're aftermarket mods they count.

Point is that many 1970 Mach 1's are adorned with splitters, louvers, wings, and stripes.

If they're options then they count. If they're aftermarket mods they count.

Point is that many 1970 Mach 1's are adorned with splitters, louvers, wings, and stripes.
This is a fair point, I must admit.

Honestly, I think it looks better with the extra stuff. Shrinks the car visually. Makes it look like more of a sports car and less of a land barge.
I 100% agree with this and prefer the car with the extras honestly. It makes the car stand out from a typical fastback, which as pointed out earlier, there's actually less of than these.

Back