GTP Cool Wall: 1992-1995 Dodge Viper RT/10

1992-1995 Dodge Viper RT/10

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Accidentally hit cool but this is so a sub zero! I love Vipers and while the RT-10 isn't my favourite it is still an awesome car!

I like the GTS a lot. It's probably one of my favourite American cars, but without that cockpit bubble roof line, and with it's 3 spokes on, the RT looses so much of its charm... and leaves only a somewhat (much) less favourable image... a kind of Redneck Douchebag mashup.

That would be due to the fact the corvette sells significantly more then the Viper in the first place, its total percent sold would be the low figure, where as the vipers sales are more closer to 100% to it's highest power.
Speak English, please!

Preposterous, outrageous throwback car with a hulking big engine and cartoonish styling. SZ.

Random note: I love my cars but only realised just now that I always thought this body shape was the second series, and the more curvaceous, sinuous actual second series, was the first. Weird.

Went for a high cool, simply because this exists:

1996-Dodge-Viper-GTS.jpg

That deserves a sub zero. That said, the original still has its own chintzy early 90s charm which, despite everything, would still impress people now, regardless of whether or not they're car people or not.

Out of plain curiosity, who the heck voted "seriously uncool".

I did. Because it is.

If you drive one down the street where I live - and bear in mind one of the biggest American car shows in the country is held a few miles from my house - you'll look completely out of place, in a big, loud, brightly coloured car that just screams 'Please pay attention to me! Please! Please?!? LOOK AT ME!'. Nothing is more uncool than someone desperate for attention. It's not impressive, it's just sad. That's one of the reasons why almost all muscle cars and supercars are seriously uncool.

I love the Viper. I love how completely OTT it is, I love the ridiculous shape, I love how it would annoy so very many people, not least because you've just set fire to their trousers with the side exit exhausts. But none of those things are even remotely cool.

Roo
a big, loud, brightly coloured car that just screams 'Please pay attention to me! Please! Please?!? LOOK AT ME!'. Nothing is more uncool than someone desperate for attention. It's not impressive, it's just sad. That's one of the reasons why almost all muscle cars and supercars are seriously uncool.

For what it's worth, of the Viper/supercar/high powered sports car owners I've met (most of them I don't really know personally, but a couple I do), none of them care if you're looking at them. As someone wanting to buy one of these car, I don't care either. I'd probably keep it hidden to keep as a measure of safety. The whole "look at me thing" is a stereotype. No doubt there are people that fill it to a t, but that's on the individual driving, not the car.

For what it's worth, of the Viper/supercar/high powered sports car owners I've met (most of them I don't really know personally, but a couple I do), none of them care if you're looking at them. As someone wanting to buy one of these car, I don't care either. I'd probably keep it hidden to keep as a measure of safety. The whole "look at me thing" is a stereotype. No doubt there are people that fill it to a t, but that's on the individual driving, not the car.

I wouldn't think the "look at me" people would be driving 20 year old cars anyway.

I'm sure what you've both written is true; I don't know any Viper owners to comment either way. However, I know if I owned a Viper - or indeed anything else big and shouty - I wouldn't give a rat's bum whether people were looking at me or not.

But I feel the perception of the majority (i.e. mostly non-car people)* would be that the driver is only driving such a car to get attention. If that wasn't the aim, they'd all be driving diesel Focuses, surely? After all, a Focus would be more practical, cheaper to run, a more sensible daily driver, and so on.

I get the Viper. I really do. But most people don't, and to them driving something like a Viper marks you out as an attention-seeking pillock before you've even arrived. People will judge you based on first impressions, and if you turn up in a Viper, or a Charger, or a Lamborghini, Caterham, Tonka'd truck, etc., their first impression of you is going to be 'idiot'.** I usually (not always) vote on cool wall cars on what I think the majority of people would think - I can't really say what's cool myself, as I'm not, not that I care - and the Viper isn't.

*With the caveat that, in the real world of the majority of people, all cars - every car ever made, from Fiat 500 to Devel Sixteen - range from meh to uncool, as cars are uncool.

**Just one of the reasons I don't like people much.

^ That moment when you dig your self into a hole you can't explain.

Your Diesel Focus analogy was exceptionally hilarious.

I should buy a car devoid of enjoyment because there is no point in such a car(Viper) unless I want to show off.

lmao.

^ That moment when you dig your self into a hole you can't explain.
He explained it perfectly well...
Your Diesel Focus analogy was exceptionally hilarious.

I should buy a car devoid of enjoyment because there is no point in such a car(Viper) unless I want to show off.

lmao.
In the eyes of most ordinary people - who are not car enthusiasts - yes. Read the third paragraph again...

ZR1 Sales are a drop in the water out of Corvettes total sales, where as the RT isn't in the Vipers sales.
What do you mean the RT isn't in the Viper's sales? The RT/10 is the Viper. All the first gen Vipers were RT/10s. And I'm still not sure what you're trying to argue. The ZR1 was a tier of performance in the Corvette model range, while the Viper was a halo car. I get that. But why do you find the halo car cooler than the sleeper that is less brash, cheap, and annoying? You've just [attempted] to repeat the same statement without it having any meaning whatsoever.
Thats my point, every corvette sold wasn't a ZR1 so it gives the viper a Higher Low in standard performance across the range.
What the 🤬 is a "higher low"?

Oh, and this might help us to understand what you're trying so desperately to say: http://www.spellcheck.net/

What do you mean the RT isn't in the Viper's sales? The RT/10 is the Viper. All the first gen Vipers were RT/10s. And I'm still not sure what you're trying to argue. The ZR1 was a tier of performance in the Corvette model range, while the Viper was a halo car. I get that. But why do you find the halo car cooler than the sleeper that is less brash, cheap, and annoying? You've just [attempted] to repeat the same statement without it having any meaning whatsoever.

What the 🤬 is a "higher low"?

Oh, and this might help us to understand what you're trying so desperately to say: http://www.spellcheck.net/
In both quotes you missed the point, well done.

Next time comprehension my friend, hopefully your soo called higher education can teach you this.

1. I said that was the case with the viper but you didn't bother reading properly and saw it the other way.

2. Higher low as in the Lowest Model of Viper is the only one where as the highest Corvette model has around similar power.

Not very hard to understand.

In both quotes you missed the point, well done.

NExt time comprehension my friend, hopefully your soo called higher education can teach you this.
I missed the point because I cannot understand what you are trying to say. If you want people to understand you, use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Higher education has nothing to do with it. This is primary school stuff.

Out of plain curiosity, who the heck voted "seriously uncool".

See...

I like the GTS a lot. It's probably one of my favourite American cars, but without that cockpit bubble roof line, and with it's 3 spokes on, the RT looses so much of its charm... and leaves only a somewhat (much) less favourable image... a kind of Redneck Douchebag mashup.

____

Roo
I did. Because it is.

If you drive one down the street where I live - and bear in mind one of the biggest American car shows in the country is held a few miles from my house - you'll look completely out of place, in a big, loud, brightly coloured car that just screams 'Please pay attention to me! Please! Please?!? LOOK AT ME!'. Nothing is more uncool than someone desperate for attention.

Not only that, but the kind of person that drives an American import and frequents American car shows with their pride and joy is not a cool person at all... or at least, is not as cool as they think they look --- cool cars do not make cool people, but uncool people can make uncool cars.

What do you mean the RT isn't in the Viper's sales?

ZR1 Sales are a drop in the water out of Corvettes total sales, where as the RT isn't [a drop in the water] in the Vipers sales.

I believe that's what he means. As in, the ZR1 accounted for a small portion of overall Corvette sales while the RT/10 accounted for well...all of the Viper's sales until the GTS because it was the only model in the line. Bringing it all the way back to his original quote:

(ZR1 is a 1 off that really didn't sell enough to be considered a Normal Corvette).

What he means is that the six-thousand nine-hundred-and-something units of ZR1s sold pales in comparison to the 130,426 overall C4 Corvettes produced between the years 1990 and 1995, the years that the ZR1 was produced.

Mind you, I too am baffled as to how any of this relates to the coolness of the vehicle in question.

Roo
I get the Viper. I really do. But most people don't, and to them driving something like a Viper marks you out as an attention-seeking pillock before you've even arrived. People will judge you based on first impressions, and if you turn up in a Viper, or a Charger, or a Lamborghini, Caterham, Tonka'd truck, etc., their first impression of you is going to be 'idiot'.** I usually (not always) vote on cool wall cars on what I think the majority of people would think - I can't really say what's cool myself, as I'm not, not that I care - and the Viper isn't.

*With the caveat that, in the real world of the majority of people, all cars - every car ever made, from Fiat 500 to Devel Sixteen - range from meh to uncool, as cars are uncool.

**Just one of the reasons I don't like people much.

The Viper speaks to a special kind of "pillock" in the eyes of most of the public. If the Corvette is a penis extension to most people, the Viper is a bigger, blacker one.

Last edited:
Roo
But I feel the perception of the majority (i.e. mostly non-car people)* would be that the driver is only driving such a car to get attention. If that wasn't the aim, they'd all be driving diesel Focuses, surely? After all, a Focus would be more practical, cheaper to run, a more sensible daily driver, and so on.
Well it depends. Even non car people prefer nice cars to not nice ones. That's why every manufacturer spends a lot of money on styling and building brands.

Yes, I know that it's common to vote for the perception from the majority of people, but a lot of the time I actually don't see where that perception comes from. Many times when people see a nice car, they're impressed. I have actually never heard anyone look down on a supercar before. Usually people see it and are very interested or at worst they simply don't care.

I'm not convinced that the majority of people would see the driver of a supercar as an idiot unless the driver was acting like one (ie powersliding around corners and constantly revving at stop lights). It's just not what I'd expect given my own experience. You'd probably have to go all the way to the other end of the spectrum, to the anti car crowd to find people who were really hostile to cars like this. People who blame cars for killing all the polar bears (I ran into one of these people while I was involved with FSAE).

SUB FREAKIN ZERO!

The car that started my love affair with the Viper. One day I will drive a Viper. I don't know how I am going to achieve that given that I live in the UK and they are quite rare here, but one day!

A solid middle finger to convention, and pretty much the only car where three spokes on the rims works.

I remember this car from my childhood, and back then it seemed slightly cool, I think the only cool thing about it was its name and that it didn't have a roof.

It's meh here, but considering its amazing popularity, I'll doubt if it ever goes below a solid cool.

The first-gen Viper was a great idea that I'm glad Chrysler had the balls to build. The first generation, however, wasn't perfect. The styling has aged badly. The features are too round, they look bloated. The wheels came directly from a Hotwheels car. Seriously:

SB's_-_6152cf.jpg

1689_large_image.jpg

The biggest difference there is the Viper had six lugs.

But with a V10 and the status of the closest thing America had to a supercar, it's still cool.

Cool.
Actually, they're pretty much the same:

3SP%27s_-_6149bf.jpg

1688_large_image.jpg

And for some reason Hot Wheels didn't manufacture the RT/10 with the three spoke wheels that looked EXACTLY THE SAME:

Dodge_Viper_rt10_red_chrome_UH.JPG

--------------------------------

To the Ice Box - A car that started a legend.

Last edited:
Back