GTP Online Racing Bureau (GTP ORB) Now Hiring!

• Thread starter gogatrs
  • 1,489 comments
You're talking about a GTP derived FIA sanctioning body.

'cause of the nature of organizing races through a forum this could be a good way of taking some of the stress off of people trying to start a new series.

In theory it should attract more people because if there's a process of approval that series need to go through to get certified. People wouldn't have to worry about bad or unknowledgeable hosts.
It would be as simple as a stamp of approval for new racing series just like USDA markings for beef, health code passing certificates for restaurants, or "FIA sanctioned racing series"

So, what would the tasks of such a group be?

In order to keep it manageable there should only be a few. The standardization should be supportive, not controlling.

• Racing series competition level ratings -
    This would be a gold standard description that will rate the competition level of each series dependant on series rules, level of detail,
    They would all be factors in determining how competitive the series will be so that any one looking to join a certain type of series whether casual or not can easily see that level at a glance.
    It would be as simple as a marker that people post in their thread titles, " [GTC Rating - *****] ".

And that's just a theoretical example of a series that's graded as a 5 star competitive tournament. It's serious, thoroughly detailed and regulated, has active competitors with distinguishing performance levels, proper car and track selection, advanced results tracking etc.

Another idea is a set of identifiers that easily explain to a person what the core structure and racing philosophy is behind each series. It would need to be a legend, located in the OP of the governing body's home page or thread, that describes each abbreviation in detail.

It would be things describing whether they allow bump drafting, sole qualifier or pre-race qualifiers, if they use incident penalties, racing club or quali-for-your-spot format , realistic race settings or casual, etc.
    All those describers would be abbreviated into a code type of format where people could easily check and see exactly what the series races are like without having to read different people's descriptions of the same thing.

• Racing series start up kit distrubution -
    A racing series start up kit will be a .rar file that includes every thing a potential race organizer needs in order to start his series easily and quickly be able to start it off with a solid standard base to grow from.

The kit would include things like graphics, templates, spreadsheet tutorials, tips tricks and hacks, track guides that detail what tracks are good and are not good for racing in certain cars, rule guides detailing exactly what each setting in GT5 gives you, connection guides for a consistence online experience, car selection guide letting you know the ins-and-outs of choosing good cars for your series, description of every successful race format and the history of race format use in GTP (like the invention of sole qualifers "4 lap live qualifying sessions" rolling starts in GT5, how best to run multi-class races etc).

Not only would it be advantageous for race organizers to read but would be an excellent source of information to anyone looking to start racing in GT5 online or those people who have been racing for a while but simply want to find out a little more.

• Incident review service -
    This would be handled as an optional mainstay group of volunteers that will provide un-biased inspection into race incidents, accidents, or infractions.
    It would be a pool of judges that are trusted to rule fault and prescribe penalties according to a set standard of policies described within the main thread or home of the governing body.

• GT5 player license authority and distributor -
    This race sanctioning body would be responsible for handing out fake licenses to drivers on GTP that opt to have them. It would make one's level of seriousness and skill quite apparent. The only bad thing being that if someone has a bad license, why would they display it?

Take the WRS for example. I only ever see people that are in Division 2 or 1 post their ranking in their signatures. So instead of "handing" them out for them to display we would instead welcome any one to go through the application process and then we would add them to the database of licensees accordingly.

The application process would involve time trials, a side by side racing demo test and a small pop quiz. It could easily be done through GTP PM's and they could be started, finished, and told their license level in twenty minutes at the most.

Then our sanctioned series may apply a rule in their thread title, " License holders level 3 and up only" for example.

It has everything to do with bringing people up to speed in online racing quickly and with less hesitation. To avoid awkward moments when organizers have to explain common rules over and over again. To make the production of racing series easier than ever so that the forums could flourish with them.
And in the end it's about more, better, racing.

Just a thread somewhere... Maybe just in the Online Series section?

If we do a good enough job then we could get it stickied, but a potential dedicated sub-forum would be most excellent.

And the over-use of Google Docs spreadsheets are encouraged 👍

Also, the name I came up with was GTC
stands for " Gran Turismo Cultivatori"
Or Gran Turismo Cultivators.

Meaning we plant the seeds for good growth and production.

Love the ideas Wardez.
Do you want me to put you on the interest list for the board?
It seems that another website could be beneficial, but would also mean we're not working on GTPlanet as much, which means less publicity.

But a single thread would do.
However, it might mean we have to reserve quite a bit of posts.
Eventually, if this grows enough we could ask Jordan to give us another subforum.

I think that we should also have a points system that is used across all of the series.
Or have a couple for the series starter to choose from.
This way, we could track how many points each and every person has and maybe even create a leader board.

I think a social group is also in order where officials can discuss more private matters or new ideas.

I was just going to mention the social groups. I see how the website thing may be a disadvantage.

Maybe with this racing license thing you could have "driving school" races. That would be interesting. :)

EliteDreamer
Maybe with this racing license thing you could have "driving school" races. That would be interesting. :)

Yes!
A driving school would be cool, and it could give you extra points towards your license or something like that.

Oh I'm glad you like the idea. :sly:

So how many licenses will there be? Like any GT game and have the B, A, IC, IB, IA, and S. At least that's what I think there is in every GT game. Oh and an R for rally.

Or is this going to be a different license thing? More professional like with regional licenses such as North American Rookie License and Global Racing license as examples.

Name?
Motorsports en Ligne d'Association
Online Motorsports Association in french (like all good governing bodies :P).

This is going to need to be ironed out completely before any sort of body takes control as any little kinks along the way could sour the experience for some people or put the group in a bad/poor light.

I'm not sure how effective a driving school really is however but the time trial/1v1 race/pop quiz of racing rules idea would work alot better. Factor in prior experience and number of race wins/race starts/finishes and it'd give the organizers a better idea of where each person stands and this would be reflected in their 'license' (for which there should be a stickied thread in the Racing Series section with each and every persons license posted up.

This sounds like something fun to be a part of. Don't let anymore take my judging job gatrs! ;)

IDEA: We could have a complaint thread, which a judge runs and takes conflicts and assesses them. That would be about all I could do :lol:.

Name?

This is going to need to be ironed out completely before any sort of body takes control as any little kinks along the way could sour the experience for some people or put the group in a bad/poor light.

I'm not sure how effective a driving school really is however but the time trial/1v1 race/pop quiz of racing rules idea would work alot better. Factor in prior experience and number of race wins/race starts/finishes and it'd give the organizers a better idea of where each person stands and this would be reflected in their 'license' (for which there should be a stickied thread in the Racing Series section with each and every persons license posted up.

Google documents senses are tingling...

Also a nice name! But I think it's up to gogatrs on the name thing. :)

CAMjhr
This sounds like something fun to be a part of. Don't let anymore take my judging job gatrs!

IDEA: We could have a complaint thread, which a judge runs and takes conflicts and assesses them. That would be about all I could do :lol:.

You really want to judge I assume? :P

MitchZ06
1) Name?

2) This is going to need to be ironed out completely before any sort of body takes control as any little kinks along the way could sour the experience for some people or put the group in a bad/poor light.

3) I'm not sure how effective a driving school really is however but the time trial/1v1 race/pop quiz of racing rules idea would work alot better. Factor in prior experience and number of race wins/race starts/finishes and it'd give the organizers a better idea of where each person stands and this would be reflected in their 'license' (for which there should be a stickied thread in the Racing Series section with each and every persons license posted up.

1) 🤬 you. :P (I kid, I kid)

2) what if we took two or three series, who's coordinators have volunteered, to start with as an experiment. Then we could gradually add more and more.

3) I agree. After thinking about it, I think that the school could be something we offer. The licenses should be a series of time trials, 1v1, and maybe 1v3 races, as well as a test. Not a pop-quiz, the person should know that it's coming.

Don't judge me.. see what I did there? :lol: But really, I kinda do. Haha.

CAMjhr

lol
Complaints should be taken through PMs.
If they're posted publicly, someones bound to defend themselves publicly.
Which means there'll most likely be an argument.

We're going to need multiple judges, and if one of the judges is involved in the incident in any way, shape, or form, they should not take part in the process of deciding who's at fault.

We're going to need multiple judges, and if one of the judges is involved in the incident in any way, shape, or form, they should not take part in the process of deciding who's at fault.

Indeed, no need to be draconian.

What I mean by getting the bugs ironed out is to have as much of a finished product as you can with the group, test it outside a current event (you know, so and so did this, incident gets 'investigated', structures are refined) before the toe in the water test with a series or two.

I'm going to stick with board member, wait, I'm not on the list. Also judging is scary. :scared:

1zmckrr.jpg

Well since I don't race in any series I would be able to judge whatever. Is why I wanted to in the first place.

100% against this idea, simply for the fact that it's honestly unneeded and pointless, and will make things way too complicated for people.

Good question. Upload the incident on YouTube? Maybe the judge watches the race? Or comes in at the end of the race to save the replay and waits for incident reports to come in. Thus later on if there are any he / she will look into the replay and observe the accident.

Milldrum
How would an incident be reviewed? Is there a way to watch replays?

Its possible to put the replay data onto a USB.
Put the data on a media sharing site, i.e. Mediafire.
Judges download the data to a USB, then put it on their PS3.

gogatrs

I would do that. But if someone could Tweet Kaz and ask for fast forward to be available on replays, that would be handy.

What size are the replay files. For the example, maybe the American Le Mans series Gogatrs.

gogatrs

Hmm, I may have to do something like be the first filter. My only data stick is full, no more room. I could maybe filter through and see which needed actual download?

I just had an awesome idea, which I then realized is exactly what you are trying to do here, so count me as 100% in. 👍

We're talking about an online version of the FIA, or SCCA, or NASCAR, etc?

Back