GTP_WRS New Drivers and Promotions

• Thread starter Vaxen
  • 3,085 comments
age is as I said no obstacle. of course I have no doubt that the younger guys learn faster and us "old" guys is a little slow on the uptake :crazy: but as long as i have great fun and feel velcome i keep trying my best.

It's great to race with all of you and every time i learn a bit more. I'm more then impressed by all the guys that are behind this site. Impressing work and a BIG thanks for your time spend making great fun for all of us. :bowdown:

@numbnuts70 wheelchairs coming thro.

I'm 48, but a very immature 48.
Are we not all her Stephen? Think it's so cool that we can compet her no matter the age. We never get old as long as we can have fun places like this. Some might say that we are to old på play "videogames" i just say that you'r realy old when you stop playing.

My wife usaly laugh a bit of me and send me to my "room" LOL. She think of it as a hobby for me.

Most of us belong to the first generation of gamers. I play videogames since their inception, and we have just not stopped playing I guess. I had an older relative who died recently at the age of 95, and his mind was sharp as ever. He kept himself busy gardening and played solitaire (Actual playing cards not virtual) for a couple of hours everyday. There's plenty of scientific evidence supporting the concept that games prevent or at least delays the decay of brain function. So we might be playing for our grandchildren...
I am proud of being a gamer at 40, helps me to keep in touch with younger generations, and in fact I'm the only one in my extended family who can still play with the young kids for a while. And they love going to their uncle's house and play there with him (None of them has got a playstation at home).

I remember walking into arcades with my small stack of quarters. I always had to be selective. I played Pole Position a lot. And I still can't walk by a Ms. Pac-man machine without playing it.:dopey: The only game I play these days is GT6.

I'm 42.

Age is not at Big problem my friend :cheers: i'm 50 years old and still learning. But quite slower then the Young guys :lol:. Got my ovn Company with 79 employees and not enogh time to race you guys :scared: so i get the best out of the time i have and try to learn as much i can from the realy fast guys.

I agree. Life definitely makes it harder to participate in everything WRS has to offer. I can only race on the weekends and have maybe two evenings during the week where I can practice, so my progress is slow--but there is progress!

I remember walking into arcades with my small stack of quarters. I always had to be selective. I played Pole Position a lot. And I still can't walk by a Ms. Pac-man machine without playing it.:dopey: The only game I play these days is GT6.

I'm 42.

I agree. Life definitely makes it harder to participate in everything WRS has to offer. I can only race on the weekends and have maybe two evenings during the week where I can practice, so my progress is slow--but there is progress!
Yes time is everything these days :D With famely with 5 kids and a wife Who demands to se me once in a while an 10-16 hours of work everyday i can be a Challenge. Luckely i often can work from my Home, so i sneak in to my playroom for an hour or so. Bun far from enogh to be a toprunner in D1G.

I almost only played games which guaranteed me I was going to make that quarter last. Pole Position, Out Run, 1942, Top Gun, Daytona with some friends was a lot of fun.

So, I see this has turned in to the nostalgia thread (*blows dust of thread*). A lot of 40+ guys here :P Maybe you guys could start a club, haha :P I will defenently join you guys, in thirteen years.

I remember my first game super smash bro's and duck hunt. I used to be busier with building a snipersnest and rocking that mighty orange Nintendo .50. Unbelievable kick that thing had. Also vivid memories of great accuracy with ducks but as soon as used aimed my ACOG scope(read: empty toiletpapercone, ironwire and ducktape(ducktape oh the irony:P)) on the dog accuracy dropped to 0 never got to see a pink mist when he was laughing at me once again. Damn those where the good times !!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: You can't pull that stuff anymore without having a conversation simmilar to this.

GF "Kevin, what the 🤬 are you doing:eek:"
Me "Shh i'm setting up an snipernest in the living room. Hopefully that awfull neighbor walks by soon. can't wait to pop that 🤬"
GF "Why are you such an idiot.:banghead: How are we ever gonna manage living together when you act like a little kid?:boggled: Why are you waisting our time? why don't you go do the dishes so we can go to the mall."
Me "I just have young mind :grumpy:. Wait movement on ten 'o clock, ten six niner ten six niner we have a fatt neighbor fleeing the scene we need back up now."

then she would react similair to this:

Then I would have to abort the mission:banghead: to apply some first aid to my buddy, have to deal with an angry girlfriend and do stupid task around the house for the rest of the day. So I can feel my soul dying a little bit more with every step I take wandering around the mall in a zombie state of mind "Must buy useless stuff, must buy useless stuff!" looking like a retarded michelinman with all the bags. Back in the day people didn't mind me poppin' neighbors once in a while and now it's unacceptable because I'm supposed to act as an adult. Screw that, If some wants to argue I'll be driving my golden chrome Corolla through the livingroom! :gtplanet: try and stop me! ghegheghe

P.s. All jokes a side I have a great girlfriend who I really love nearly 10 years now. And she has built a solid defense to deal with my immature behaviour from time to time :P

:cheers:
Cheers,

Kevin

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll get a flood of good advice from old guys here.
Here is the defense I use:

Mrs_lab_rat: Are you playing the video game again, what are you, 10 years old?
Me: Do you know the feeling you get when you find something nice to buy at the mall? That's similar to the feeling I get when I play the game.

If girls were rational we could also say that the racing game is a simulator of a much more time/money consuming hobby. But they are not rational and it's kinda hard to justify sniping neighbours that way :)

I wonder how many conversation would go like this

gf / wife/ girlunit: Are you gaming again
gamer:🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
gf / wife/ girlunit:🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
gamer:🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
gf / wife/ girlunit:🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
gamer: Put that down that was my grandma's ......

Divorce

This is my defence

Mrs skyline : why are you always on that thing it's a total waste of money.

Skylines reply: no those £400 pair of shoes you've worn once to match a bag you've used twice are a waste of money.

Mrs skylines reply: ok I'm sorry

:D

My wife actually asks me to play sometimes, because we both find TV to be quite boring, borderline bizarre. She is a scientist (Doctorate in Molecular Biology) so she is not your average woman. I have to tell her to buy stuff for herself from time to time, which she often thinks is a waste of time. I've lost many of my precious nasty habits since I met her but gaming and some stuff I won't mention in a forum with underage people I keep :D

this is wonderful. a forum of like-minded people who have the really cool with their hobby. And the comments blow me away :lol:

I'm so lucky that my wife lets me play an listning to my bitching when i'm doing badly 👍 she allways says that she's lucky that i'm not a football fanatic. We have traveld in most of the world to watch racing and she was allways with me when i was active in racing. So she folowed me around all over i allmost 20 years and i realy love her for that.

So i'm realy lucky to have an understanding wife and kicking my two 17 and 20 year old boys ass in anything on wheels. He he.

Last edited:
I think you're the winner Joe. As for the oldest, I think @GDS38 wins that, I believe he's 75(my apologies if I'm mistaken Gayle)

My wife enjoys watching me play, and often helps me develop strategies when I get to a difficult section in a game. Right now we're playing through X-com Enemy Unknown, which is fantastic, and its one of her favorites because we can talk through our strategy before we assign the next move to our squad, or decide what we should research and build at the base.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm 41 next month. My wife actively encourages me to spend quality time racing as she recognizes that it's my hobby and that I get a lot of pleasure from it. She also expects me to prioritize it appropriately, which is completely fair although difficult to rationalize when I just need to find one more tenth! When we lived in the UK she came to the Goodwood Festival of Speed once, but it's not really her thing. When we lived in Australia, she battled through the traffic to pick me up at the end of each day when I went to the Melbourne GP. Tomorrow she'll get the kids out of the way so that I can watch the F1 qualifying live, and the same for the race on Sunday morning. She's awesome and I'm very lucky!

Back