GTP_WRS-Online : General Discussion

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 777 comments
I've made a highlight video out of video and pictures that have been uploaded in the WRS online forum over the last couple of week's.

Hope you like it :scared:

Take special note next week of the Wednesday event times with Europe going into "Summer Time" this weekend.

Event #82 - Wednesday April 3rd (click for your local time):
  • EU Start Time: 12:00 PM Pacific | 3:00 PM Eastern | 19:00 GMT
  • NA Start Time: 7:00 PM Pacific | 10:00 PM Eastern | 02:00 GMT (Thu)

PS> SJaak or Frank will be making an announcement concerning WRS Academy, these only apply to the Wednesday races.

Hey Al (Allibubba99),

You joined the 100 club tonight... 1 of 6 drivers to compete in at least 100 official WRS-Online / 3D3 Racing events:

au.gif
GTP_JTV ......... 132
us.gif
GTP_WRP0001 ..... 127
be.gif
GTP_Speedy6543 .. 116
fi.gif
GTP_MadMax86 .... 113
ca.gif
GTP_Allibubba99 . 100

:gtpflag:

Random question.

Has a Nascar race ever been tried in the WRS? I had a look through the records and couldn't see one, but could well have missed it. I know there will be some people who aren't fond of it, but I think it might make for an interesting race. And I mean on a proper oval, not just Nascar around a normal circuit.

A general announcement concerning penalties that will apply to all our events moving forward.

Due to difficulties in measuring pit deltas and very long pits at certain tracks (e.g. Eiger) we are no longer going to be assigning time penalties based on track specific pit deltas for "drive through" or "stop and go" penalties.

Instead we'll primarily use standard pre-determined penalty amounts:
  • 15 seconds for minor infractions
  • 30 seconds for major infractions
  • DQ for serious infractions (e.g. intentional cutting / intentional punting, etc.).

In cases where time penalties would not impact the driver (e.g. Driver has a DC or DNF after a serious infraction) the admins reserve the right to impose a grid penalty in the driver's next event: 5 spots for minor, 10 spots for major.

Note that repeat and/or habitual offenders could face more severe penalties including suspensions.

The admins will decide on the classification of each infraction taking driver history, the actions themselves and the impact on the race / other drivers into account.

Finally, intentional cheating (e.g. use of hybrid) will result in a permanent ban from our events and a likely ban from the registry itself.

-OLR Admin Team

Hey guys. I haven't been around in a while, and I've been blaming it on my job, but just look at the cool toy I get to play with: http://www.usherbrooke.ca/sciences/accueil/nouvelles/nouvelles-details/article/21709/
(I'm on the far left in the group shot. Why so serious? I don't know..)

It's a CAVE-like environment. The beginnings of the holodeck, if you will...

Now, if only I could convince Kaz that I could be a beta-tester for a cave version of GT6...

I have a little puzzle to pose, if anyone can solve it for me.

So in the Great Lakes Cup with the FGT at Indy, I got into a stuck situation.

I was on a 2 stop strategy. I make my first stop, but I come out of the pits with Ren right ahead of me, 1 lap up. Ren is on a 1 stop strategy as it turns out. So I am going faster than him, but these cars didn't lose much speed on old tyres, not to mention the draft was so strong, it's very easy to catch up to someone.

So here's the problem. I need to use this time on new soft tyres to make up time on the 1 stoppers, but if I overtake Ren, I won't be going fast enough to escape the draft in 1 maneuver, and then I become "lapped traffic", in which I am forced to give way to drivers a lap ahead, so I am then forced to let Ren through again, otherwise I will be slowing him down.

The only answer I can come up with, is that strategy wins, and I cannot overtake, and due to me exiting just behind Ren, means his strategy beat mine, and I am defeated?

It just kinda frustrated me, because all my practice was wasted because I got stuck basically. In the end, Gooners span out near Ren, I think he braked to avoid, and that forced me into the grass and I span, so was just so far behind at that point there was no point continuing.

The Blue flag rule is more for slower drivers who are getting caught by the leaders and are about to be lapped legitimately, rather than pit length and strategy.
If I was in the same position I would have passed and ran my race, if the other driver the uses draft to either keep in touch or pass again so be it, as long as I wasn't slowing them down I don't see a problem.

I.
The only answer I can come up with, is that strategy wins, and I cannot overtake, and due to me exiting just behind Ren, means his strategy beat mine, and I am defeated?

As Jon said, it depends. Certainly, in my case, I would have happily leeched off your better tires if I saw it as a possibility, particularly if we're not racing closely for position (in which case I might use the opportunity to hold you up shamelessly, but it's rare I'll try that). I let Mohit and James by without trying to defend much, and tried to hang on for as long as I could, for example. So I wouldn't have had an issue unless you started driving defensively to hold me up (when a lap down).

The only wrinkle I could see with that was that we (or I) seemed to be having some lag issues today. You and James were a bit jumpy to me early, and it seemed I was giving Joel (and perhaps Mohit?) huge issues when it came to braking zones. The short reaction time and twitchy nature of the car magnified that. I considered retiring myself, and I basically never do that unless I've got a real life interruption, or I'm likely to ruin someone's race - so I probably should have today.

Last edited:
Was that supposed to be a public post? lol teasing us ;)

Edit:lol Tim, smooth. I won't spill the beans to anyone who didn't see it, promise ;)

Last edited:
So as I mentioned in the Special event thread, the reason I couldn't attend the race at all on Saturday is because I'm on holiday in Rome. Partly by chance ended up here:

Rome (Circuit?) by oinkoink8383, on Flickr

Anyone recognise this spot? Actually ended up walking about 75% of the track from GT5 was really quite fun. It feels a lot longer when your not going at about 100mph!

It's a very busy part of Rome right in the centre so when I came through here during the day I couldn't even get onto the road to take a picture, so it looks a bit different at night but I think you can still recognise the spot. Thought it might be fun to show you guys :D

So as I mentioned in the Special event thread, the reason I couldn't attend the race at all on Saturday is because I'm on holiday in Rome. Partly by chance ended up here:

Rome (Circuit?) by oinkoink8383, on Flickr

Anyone recognise this spot? Actually ended up walking about 75% of the track from GT5 was really quite fun. It feels a lot longer when your not going at about 100mph!

It's a very busy part of Rome right in the centre so when I came through here during the day I couldn't even get onto the road to take a picture, so it looks a bit different at night but I think you can still recognise the spot. Thought it might be fun to show you guys :D

Very cool! I have been there as well!

Al

Was that supposed to be a public post? lol teasing us ;)

Edit:lol Tim, smooth. I won't spill the beans to anyone who didn't see it, promise ;)

The cat will be let out of the bag on Sunday so nobody will have to wait long.

The cat is out: The 2013 WRS Formula 1 Championship

PS> Post all comments, etc. about the F1 series in the F1 thread... we'd like to keep it active. The main thread is located in the general racing series forum and is not "stickied" so only activity will keep it visible. We're hoping to recruit some new racers with this one.

Last edited:
Oooo, looks pretty interesting. Hopefully I'll be able to take part, even though I'm like a representative from HRT in these cars :lol:

Just a note that we will not be running "GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 115 : Mr. Tesla , I presume" online, but will use an original "tuning prohibited" combo next week. The electric Tesla that can barely be charged at all in the pits was a sure nail in the coffin for this one online.

We'll announce the online combo tonight or tomorrow.

By popular demand we are bringing back the Saturday Attack Format this Saturday to get one more taste of Indyfinity. See:

GTP_WRS Online : Saturday Attack Races

The lounge will be setup for Infinity after the completion of the Academy which is approximately 20:00 GMT, but please follow the above thread for a post when the lounge is ready. Someone from the academy will post when that event is complete and the lounge is ready.

Does anyone know when the parity races will be back as I'm new to WRS and the parity racing sounds cool

The question of the next parity event brings up a good question: Would you guys generally prefer we run a Saturday Attack even or a parity event if we have a free weekend without anything else on the calendar? Or a mix of both? If a mix, what ratio? 50/50 or 3 Saturday attack to every 1 Parity event, etc.

Just curious what you guys prefer so we can tailor what we offer.

One thing with the parity event is it requires a steward/admin to "sponsor" the event and I haven't had the free time and won't for the next couple months so it's a bit out of my control at the moment. The saturday attack format is a bit more plug and play.

I think a mix of both would be cool, really enjoyed the parity racing. Makes for very close racing and you can choose so many different cars 👍
Only downside is that you have to prepare very well for the event.

I agree with Tim that the Attack format is more straight forward. I totally understand the time effort that goes with the Parity format.

I think that putting weight into the Attack races might work in my opinion. The Parity races are still great fun, but as you said they do require more work on behalf or the admins and the other drivers, whereas the Attack races don't.

Not to mention, TT guys, Wednesday racers and Academy/D-League guys will all have had some time driving the combo, meaning none/very little extra practice time would be needed.

In any given month I might suggest a 2-1 ratio, so you will have 2 Saturday Attack races, 1 Parity race, and the spare week could well be used for a special event (Although I do undstand these are often not just 1 day long). I think that might be quite nice, and wouldn't be too tough on peoples schedules.

What does anyone else think?

A mix would be nice. I do like the parity races and it would be a shame to not run them very often, so having both could work out.

Back