GTPlanet Scale model thread

• Thread starter bondy_1625
  • 15,837 comments
finnracer
Some of the models on here make me want to waste large amounts of money on them!!! I'll put some pics of mine up at some point although they only get as nice as a Minichamps 1/18 Sierra Cossie!

I know right?! :sly:

The 924, LFA, Viper GTS, 458 and LP-640 are amazing!!!!

Nice cars Venom. ;)đź‘Ť

I have a pretty serious collection. Back in the 60's I think it was all the American car makers made models of all their cars. When you would buy a Corvette or whatever you would be given a scale model of your exact car to go along with the real thing. I have every single scale car model of every US car manufacture during those years. It's so many I don't keep them on display since there is not enough space anymore.

On display I have one glass shelf that just looks like a piece of glass coming out of the wall with no support at all (it's awesome) over my desk with the 3 main fast and the furious models.
The green Eclipse
The red RX-7
The orange Supra

On a bookcase on the other side of the room I have a lot more models.
Yellow H2 Hummer
Black SLR Mclaren
Yellow 2010 Lamborghini Murcielago
Blue with white stripes Shelby Cobra (fast and the furious edition, although has no visual differences)
Red Ferrari F50
Red and white strip 1998 Dodge Viper
Greenish grey Jaguar E-Type
Red Ferrari F430
Red Maserati 3200GT
Black Lamborghini Diablo
Burgundy 2005 Porsche GT2
A special UPS Germany edition Porsche GT2 race car that is brown
A very metallic light blue 1998 style Dodge Viper race car with sponsor stickers all over
Red 1950 Chevrolet Corvette

I would like to more of my favorites, but would have to crame them a little more on a shelf. Right now it's 2 per shelf at a 45 degree angle for each car to get a good view. If I did 3 per shelf they would have to be either 45 degree and closer together which may block too much of each car or more straight which wouldn't give the best overall view. Still possible for a few more tho.

I have 48 1:18 scales, including:

12 Porsches
5 Corvettes
4 Lamborghinis
2 Vipers

My favorites:

White Ford GT90 (maisto), bought at the Pawn Stars in Las Vegas
Charcoal Lamborghini Gallardo (maisto), switched it's wheels with a Supperlegga
White Chevrolet Camaro Interceptor (maisto), bought on 9/11/11.
Red Porsche 997 911 GT2 (maisto), bought at Cleveland Porsche dealer.

So I started messing around with my 993 GT2 (Wouldn't do it if it were in mint condition when I got it, but it wasn't):
8069224558_30d12c87a8_b.jpg

8069223568_86d952b570_c.jpg

I think it looks pretty decent, still got to do the sides and some more green wrap/CF wrap. I would love to hear some opinions.
Also, since I'm thinking about using these wheels for a wheel damaged 993tt from UT I just ordered I thought about making this look like a racecar, which means I would need some wheels. Where could I get some wheels like BBS LM or something that looks racecar-like without having to spend like 30 bucks

exoto nissan r89 arrived today :)

If I can get one for $200 and I actually can afford it at that time, I will have to get me one of these R89's. Would look awesome with my R390 :sly:

Anyway I took a few pics of my current arrangement. I really need some glass door display cases :crazy:

Stopped by Rite Aid today and got these. :D

1:43 scale Kinsmart Lamborghini Murcielago LP640
IMG_0507_zpse5a4fd88.jpg

1:24 scale Maisto Police Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
IMG_0508_zps48d2fa39.jpg

After stopping by at that specific Rite Aid, I really regret getting the Welly 1/24 scale Gallardo. Broken mirrors and the quality was ok... But at this one, I found two white Maisto Gallardo LP560-4s with grey wheels and the detail was considerably better. Grrr! Wish I could have gotten those instead! :mad:

HondaJunkie - I've delted your recent posts from this thread.

AUP
You will not post advertisements or solicitations outside of designated areas or without proper authorization.

HondaJunkie - I've delted your recent posts from this thread.

where is the proper place? because there are no other scale model specific thread or area in here. plus this is not in the main forums. its in the rumble strip. I never though i would see the day a post gets deleted anywhere in the rumble strip???

where is the proper place? because there are no other scale model specific thread or area in here. plus this is not in the main forums. its in the rumble strip. I never though i would see the day a post gets deleted anywhere in the rumble strip???
You are trying to sell items. You are not allowed to sell items here* and that's why I posted that specific bit of the AUP.

I'm not sure why you are mentioning the Rumble Strip? Posts get deleted from it all the time, especially ones (like yours) that break the rules.

* Only premuim members are allowed to sell items, and then only in the Trading post forum.

I collect 1:18 scale models, here are some of them: :)

modell_nissan_skyline_r34_gtr_autoart_gross_4161_1.jpg

modell_nissan_skyline_r32_gtr_autoart_gross_5051_1.jpg

modell_bmw_2002_turbo_autoart_gross_5063_1.jpg

modell_lancia_delta_integrale_kyosho_gross_5070_1.jpg

modell_chrysler_valiant_charger_e49_autoart_gross_5065_1.jpg

modell_bmw_m3_gtr_kyosho_gross_5068_1.jpg

modell_bmw_m1_norev_gross_39069_1.jpg

modell_bmw_m5_e39_otto_gross_39070_1.jpg

I have much more models, but no motivation to make some photos, they always turn out with a horrible quality đź‘Ž

I should have known better, but I decided to start collecting again. My first collection I had 20 years ago as a kid in 1:87 was damaged beyond repair.

Recently 1:43 scale models came to my attention. I'll do my very best to stick with GT race cars, preferably endurance races.

So, here's the first half of my new collection. Just a few hasty pictures ;)

Aston Martin DBRS9 by Minichamps, driven by some Virgin Bloke and Fifth Gear's Tiff Needell. Reason I got this model were Tiff and the fact it was there when the Fia GT3 series started. Well, and it's an Aston so what's there more to say?

2006 Aston Martin DBRS9 #22 von ItsHimness auf Flickr

2006 Aston Martin DBRS9 #22 von ItsHimness auf Flickr

HPI Racing McLaren F1 GTR, as been racing in the 1997 1000 km of Suzuka by Peter Kox and Roberto Ravaglia.

Reason? You've driven this car in GT, right? What a sexy beast.

1997 McLaren F1 GTR #9 von ItsHimness auf Flickr

Lexus LFA Gazoo Racing #51 from the 2010 24 hours of the NĂĽrburgring. Hahne, Krumbach, Lotterer were the drivers. Spiffing car and magnificent livery. Only letdown is the execution of the model - I got it at a reduced price because somebody might have dropped it at the factory, but the decals and the head lights and mirrors aren't that well done. Nevertheless great model.

2010 Lexus LFA Gazoo Racing #51 von ItsHimness auf Flickr

Now on to a very fine Spark model: the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup from Frikadelli Racing (24 hours Nürburgring 2011). I got number 130 of 300 pieces. Frikadelli is a household name on the Ring, and Früh was my preferred Kölsch beer while I was living i Cologne. Had to have this one ;)

2011 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Frikadelli #50 von ItsHimness auf Flickr

The details and quality of the Spark models is just sheer madness!

few pictures from today

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42427406@N05/sets/72157631761921882/

this is my fav model from the show
8084001989_7fe516b1bc_z.jpg

8084031500_f03f139003_z.jpg

Fav moment of the show was an guy came up to me telling me how much he liked my Catalina and that he said it was the most beautifulest plane he had ever seen.

I asked him why as if i was considering my beautifulest's planes i wouldn't even consider it. He then went on to tell me how he was a hurricane pilot that then went onto spitfire's and one time he was shot down and was in the sea for 4 hours almost losing all hope until coming over the horizon came a catalina and ever since then he's maintained it's the most beautifulest he had ever seen. It's one of those stories i doubt you would even read about.

Holdenhsvgtsr
I asked him why as if i was considering my beautifulest's planes i wouldn't even consider it. He then went on to tell me how he was a hurricane pilot that then went onto spitfire's and one time he was shot down and was in the sea for 4 hours almost losing all hope until coming over the horizon came a catalina and ever since then he's maintained it's the most beautifulest he had ever seen. It's one of those stories i doubt you would even read about.

That's pretty awesome!

Picked up this Porsche 911 Speedster model at a car show today by Maisto. Only $20. Also with my Burago Ferrari 288 GTO and Jaguar E-Type which I'm not sure who makes.

For those interested and in the US, Costco has $12-ish 1:18s again this year. I think they were Maisto. Quality wasn't amazing but for $12 they weren't bad. I might grab one later if they have a car model I like. (Too bad the only 911 they seem to have is a 996.)

Edit - picked a couple up. $12.99 a piece. My Costco's stock was already mostly wiped out but I still found some cool stuff. These are actually nicer than I expected them to be - they're no AutoArt, but that's more an issue of material quality and number of parts. The paint quality is mostly pretty nice, and the overall shape of the body, fit of the parts, molded details, and all of that are pretty nice, especially for $13.

'71 240Z:

Maisto "Special Edition" 240Z ($12.99 at Costco!) by maximstensel, on Flickr

2013 Viper GTS

Maisto "Special Edition" 2013 Viper GTS ($12.99 at Costco!) by maximstensel, on Flickr

Maisto "Special Edition" 2013 Viper GTS ($12.99 at Costco!) by maximstensel, on Flickr

I really like the Viper a lot. It's a newer model than most of the ones Costco sells and it really shows. I really like the wheels and all of the detailing at the rear end of the car. For $13, Maisto has done an awesome job with the mesh, carbon, and taillights. It's relatively big and impressively heavy, too, and having seen the '13 GTS in person, I can say that this model captures the menacing, athletic feel of the car really well.

Last edited:
The Viper and 240z look sweet

I'm looking to get back into car collecting, does anyone know of any UK based websites for model cars? I don't want to spend too much to be honest so is it more of a case of searching for a bargain. I used to collect many die cast cars before, and the most i had paid was around ÂŁ20.

The paint quality is mostly pretty nice, and the overall shape of the body, fit of the parts, molded details, and all of that are pretty nice, especially for $13.

I'd say that's quite a steal. I do like the Viper a lot. Not much into US cars, but you have to give it to them that the Corvette and especially the Viper are in their own league. Classic shapes, a bit like Maglites or Zippo lighters. Very tasty!

So, there's that awesome Db9 coming first.
Then, I see the F1.
And then, le wild LFA appears.
Finally, dat 911.

:drool: that's a nice set you got there!

Thanks! I was lucky enough to get the Aston, the McLaren and the Lexus at a very good price. For the moment I have a nice starter collection of 9 cars, so I'm going to build my collection from there.

I wish I hadn't started collecting again, but on the other hand one has simply got to admire the marksmanship. Industry surely moved on in the past 20 odd years ;)

Fav moment of the show was an guy came up to me telling me how much he liked my Catalina and that he said it was the most beautifulest plane he had ever seen.

That actually made me a bit sentimental!

Last edited:
The Viper and 240z look sweet

I'm looking to get back into car collecting, does anyone know of any UK based websites for model cars? I don't want to spend too much to be honest so is it more of a case of searching for a bargain. I used to collect many die cast cars before, and the most i had paid was around ÂŁ20.

No where completely great in the uk but there is modelissimo in Germany, flat fee on shipping always get it within 48 hrs and always on hand to sort things out which is more than can be said for uk places.

Nice Maisto 240Z Takumi Fujiwara, it reminds me a lot of my relatively cheap 'Road Signature' 240Z, though the details seem better on the Maisto đź‘Ť,
The paintjob on my version is.... questionable, it can't seem to decide whether it wants to be a standard Z, a rally Z, or a BRE... :lol: (i hope to make it into a custom at some point, arch-flares, deep air-damn/valance, nice wheels etc..

Last edited:
No where completely great in the uk but there is modelissimo in Germany, flat fee on shipping always get it within 48 hrs and always on hand to sort things out which is more than can be said for uk places.

Thanks, had a quick look and there's quite a few that i'm interested in.

Back