GTPlanet Scale model thread

• Thread starter bondy_1625
  • 15,837 comments
I hate you, if it wasn't for the fact that it was from Australia and my GF would kill me if I bought another model right now, I'd so be getting that...

Damn this thread. Because of this, I've gone out and bought more models. These three models just arrived yesterday.

From left to right: AutoArt Jaguar C-Type, OttoMobile BMW M5 (E34), Minichamps Porsche 911.

More pictures:

I've always liked the E34 M5; I haven't looked at them in a while; the model now reminds me of how much I liked it's proportions, and now I want a real one in Daytona Violet bad.

How are Ottos for quality? They look really good and priced very well.

But it doesn't open and wheels don't rotate right?

Their soon to be released E39 is on my wish list. :)

How are Ottos for quality? They look really good and priced very well.

But it doesn't open and wheels don't rotate right?

Their soon to be released E39 is on my wish list. :)

Otto quality is kind of an interesting subject because it seems like it's kind of hit or miss. I heard that some of their earlier BMW releases (E36 M3 and Le Mans Blue E39 M5 in particular) had pretty bad quality control. A lot of people complained about it online. It seems like their quality is improving though. I actually now have two Otto models, a E30 325is and a E34 M5, and both are pretty good. My E30 came with a small paint blemish and the E34 windshield has a few light swirl scratches. Nothing that you can see though unless you are way up close inspecting the details.

If anything, the biggest complaint that I have about them is that they seem really delicate despite their heft, especially the paint work. Metal models just seem much more solid.

My misgivings notwithstanding, I actually think overall they did a pretty good job with the E30, and a great job with the E34. You can't open the doors, hood or trunk, and the front wheels don't steer left and right, but the wheels at least roll forwards and backwards. They do look really good, they got the details generally right and well proportioned and I think Otto did a very good job in capturing two very difficult colors and actually applying the correct shade onto the vehicles (Calypso Red for the E30 and Daytona Violet for the E34), though they did slightly overdo the metallic-ness of it. I'm overall very happy that I bought them, and will be proudly displaying them.

If you want an E39 M5, you'll have to go Otto, as they are the only ones who has and is making a scaled model of that car, and it doesn't look like any of the other companies are going to make it anytime soon. However, I expect their quality this time around to be significantly better (it is their second run of E39 M5s after all). It's too bad I don't like the Silverstone color, otherwise, I would probably pick one up, seeing as it's one of my favorite cars of all time. If they re-release it in Le Mans Blue again or in Sterling Grey/Oxford Green/Carbon Black/Alpine White, then I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

Is the Jag 1:18? If not, it'll fit with my XJ13 1:43!

Nope, the Jag is 1:18 scale.

Last edited:
Lovely cars Crash, specially the C Type. đź‘Ť It's on my wishlist somewhere...

I hope I can make some photos today, still need to make nice ones of my Porsche 936 :guilty: :indiff: Sorry Cano...

Got two new 1:43's, and it's never leaving the case it's in.
SP2377.jpg

Got the 7 & 8 :D :D :D

Now I need the 1:18's..... :dunce:

I hope I can make some photos today, still need to make nice ones of my Porsche 936 :guilty: :indiff: Sorry Cano...

I'll be waiting (:

I also received yesterday a pair of IXO 1:43 thingies that, at $17 a pop and free shipping all the way to Mexico, were a killer value. Hopefully pics later on.

A Sauber C9 and a WRC Impreza. The detailing on the Subaru is pretty amazing for a 17 buck piece.

Ahhh, I've seen those. Despite my bad history with IXOs, I was wanting the c9 quite badly.

The only dissapointing bit of the Sauber is the rear opening, wich is just painted on. Then again, it's a $17 car so I think you can't expect thaaaat much from it. The Subaru is way better in that term, everything on it seems spot-on.

$17 is actually really good for the detail. Just take care of the small bits (mirrors, headlights etc.)

Yeah, they're safely inside their acrylic enclosures until I make a new display thingie. I'll most likely get to it as a father and son project once I come back from my vacation trip đź‘Ť I really need moar display space than what I have right now.

Yeah, they're safely inside their acrylic enclosures until I make a new display thingie. I'll most likely get to it as a father and son project once I come back from my vacation trip đź‘Ť I really need moar display space than what I have right now.

Good man! :)

Stopped by BJ's (our version of Costco) and picked up these three! Luckily I had a 60-day free membership trial coupon with me. Not my pictures, but basically the same cars. They restocked their 1/18 scale Maisto cars, so I finally found the 2013 Viper.
31128BK_1-2013-SRT-Viper-GTS-118-Maisto.jpg

31149OR_3-2007-Lamborghini-Gallardo-118-Maisto.jpg

a20791513bf7c510dea4ce_m.jpg

I need me some of those. Only one place sells them in my town though, for ÂŁ27.99 a pop. It sounds okay, I guess. But I heard they're cheaper (with today's exchange rates) in America.

I need me some of those. Only one place sells them in my town though, for ÂŁ27.99 a pop. It sounds okay, I guess. But I heard they're cheaper (with today's exchange rates) in America.

I heard they stack them to the ceiling for $10 a pop at Wallmart, my heart sank.

They're $13 each at BJ's. As for Walmart, I suppose it's specific ones, because the one in my town used to hold diecast models and I remember as a kid I'd just go there when my parents went shopping just staring at all of them. Of course I couldn't buy them myself. These days, my Walmart doesn't hold any models...just radio controlled cars and Hot Wheels/Matchbox. I really do miss the days when the retailers carried scale models. :(

Stopped by BJ's (our version of Costco) and picked up these three! Luckily I had a 60-day free membership trial coupon with me. Not my pictures, but basically the same cars. They restocked their 1/18 scale Maisto cars, so I finally found the 2013 Viper.

*3 model*

Nice! I actually picked up the 2 bottom ones while I was at Costco a little while ago. I found my Lamborghini in gun metal grey though, looks so mean on the shelf.

They're $13 each at BJ's. As for Walmart, I suppose it's specific ones, because the one in my town used to hold diecast models and I remember as a kid I'd just go there when my parents went shopping just staring at all of them. Of course I couldn't buy them myself. These days, my Walmart doesn't hold any models...just radio controlled cars and Hot Wheels/Matchbox. I really do miss the days when the retailers carried scale models. :(

That's a great price đź‘Ť

Yeah I hear what your saying about retailers not carrying model cars, it kinda makes me sad to see row after row of RC products everywhere and I'm like, damn kids today don't like anything which doesn't do something! Makes me feel old :lol:

When I was young static model cars could be bought everywhere.

Back