Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
Keef - You need to pick up some Meguires rim cleaner. It might take a couple of uses and a little bit of scrubbing, but it will get your rims looking like new again.

toyomatt - So where are ya keeping them all right now? Not in the bedroom still I hope. :lol:

I usually dowse them with Simple Green, because my Brembo pads are dusty. I did a lazy job last time I washed. Most of what you see is corrosion. They weren't taken care of at all by the previosu owner, the paint has worn, and the aluminum has corroded a bit. Also, cur rash and scrapes abound.

Basically, they look like hell. They'll be relegated to winter rims once I get my Buddy Clubs.

I usually dowse them with Simple Green, because my Brembo pads are dusty. I did a lazy job last time I washed. Most of what you see is corrosion. They weren't taken care of at all by the previosu owner, the paint has worn, and the aluminum has corroded a bit. Also, cur rash and scrapes abound.

Basically, they look like hell. They'll be relegated to winter rims once I get my Buddy Clubs.

Simple Green is also a very abrasive cleanser. Depending on the wheel's coating, you could be taking away some clear coat.

@toyomatt - So whats the address of that storage unit again?! :lol:

Hows the mix work for taking the brake dust off, and whats your technique? Just splash on and leave it for a bit, or use a terry cloth to apply it and wipe off?

@toyomatt - So whats the address of that storage unit again?! :lol:

Hows the mix work for taking the brake dust off, and whats your technique? Just splash on and leave it for a bit, or use a terry cloth to apply it and wipe off?

I usually buy a 50 pack of terry clothes for cleaning the wheels, separately from the car. I take my wheels off to clean them. The clothes usually get 5-10 uses before I trash them, and I usually wash them at the local pay-wash place, without any detergent (just water, because laundry detergent = BAD NEWS FOR WHEELS!).

PS. You think I'd divulge info on my stash? :lol:

My next set of rims will be painted white when i get them, and whatever color I decide afterward. I used to wash my car with dish soap until I noticed that it cleaned off the wax job from a few months ago. I've waxed the car again and use wax-safe car wash, and the smoothness is still there.

So, I'll have to remember not to use Simple Green or any other grease-cutter on my painted wheels.

Also, should you take car of painted wheels just like the car's paint? Occasional wax and all? Or is it a different type of paint?

So, I'll have to remember not to use Simple Green or any other grease-cutter on my painted wheels.

Also, should you take car of painted wheels just like the car's paint? Occasional wax and all? Or is it a different type of paint?

Well, I wouldn't use Simple Green or Grease-Cutter on ANY wheel, not just painted ones. You have to remember that polished wheels have clear coats as well.

Wheel paint should be applied differently than car paint, although some people have painted their rims in the same fashion as a car. And, you don't really have to put wax on wheels, since they have so many contours, it would go unnoticed.

PS. The wheels are already sold and shipped, for those who were watching them.

laundry detergent = BAD NEWS FOR WHEELS!

PS. You think I'd divulge info on my stash? :lol:

Laundry detergent has a hard enough time getting into my car (we take my ol' ladies ride to get groceries since she likes to use my bumper and trunk as a shelf to hold stuff thats too heavy for her :mad:) let alone on my car. And hey, it was worth a try. :lol:

What do you use to clean your clear plastics (ie. headlights)?

I've heard from people that do the same job here that its a pretty good job. Any interesting/horror/funny stories?
Meh, Honda just doesn't bring out the moronic crazies like Lexus did. And I come home to be with family, and leave the day behind. It's not that Hondas are streets more reliable than a Lexus or Toyota is, it's about the same for all intents and purposes, it's just that Honda customers aren't as picky as about half the Lexus owners are. I get far less complaints about buzzing, rattles, NVH, wind noise, tire noise, et cetera. You get a few, and I don't blame them for at least asking if something or normal or not (years of talking with perfectionists has sort of made one out of me).

Although I get 5 calls a day asking me for their "radio code" over the phone (we don't do that, they have to appear in person with their car). About 2 or 3 actually show up. Another one wondered yesterday why an automobile accident wasn't covered by their warranty. It's a good thing they called before dropping off their car. Do fine china shops get these sorts of calls?

Business is about he same; perhaps it's going actually going to be better as inflation has gone up compared to wages/salaries, and people aren't looking to make big-ticket purchases right now (housing market is over-saturated here, interest rates going up), so new car sales aren't looking so rosy in for all brands. This mean people are going to hold off that new car purchase if their car is (nearly) paid off, and fix the old one that isn't too expensive to repair.

With only 2 months on the job, Honda Service hasn't given me any absolutely nutty or stupid story, except for a single situation: A customer dropped off a car that we never sold, we never broke, we never fixed nor maintained before. The technician performed a free inspection during an oil change, but
the customer was infuriated at me since I told them it was in an accident...Don't kill the messenger.

This service department is a lot better trained and organized, which helps a lot. People actually communicate, rather than make assumptions, which makes all the difference. And you're much less likely to run into a bunch of ignorant snobs or frustrated individuals who think they own the place because they didn't get their way. If there's any drawbacks, it's that I have less stories to tell. One day, I'll make a thread of all the oddball things that happened at Lexus.

Id like to hear them :)

I second that. I think most people on this forum would get a kick out of hearing some of the stuff people say and do either at or before the dealership. Thats the first time I've ever heard of someone thinking an accident was covered under warrenty, and I didn't even think there would be people out there like that as it has never crossed my mind. Makes you wonder what these people are on sometimes. :lol:

My computer borked, so I won't be seeing gtplanet again for a good couple weeks again, but I'd like to put up an update for my car.

No pics, but my 15x7 +35 Enkei RPF1 wheels have arrived. Now I'm just saving some money for tires.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm looking for 205/50/15 tires that would be in the "extreme performance summer" category in tirerack. Very good basically.

I was going for Falken Azenis rt-615, but at 100 bucks a tire, plus mounting and balancing, it will come out to around 500 bucks. Not good, especially since I have 1 week to make that money including some extra gas money while I get started with school.

If that criteria sucks, then what do you guys think of the BFgoodrich G-sport? I can get a pretty good deal on a set of them.

EDIT: I also got a pair of Sparco Pitlane shoes. Flexible little bastards. Awesome.

SCC drove Skip Barber-prepared Spec Miatas in last month's issue and found the BFG G-Force Sports to be much better performance tires than they were expecting. Reviews and ratings on Tire Rack are high. If I wasn't trying to get max performance per dollar with Kuhmo MXs, I'd be buying G-Force Sport tires.

I can tell you right now that having those tires on my car would be phenomenal. The thing already grips well with gay all-seasons. I can't even imagine proper summer tires, much less near-R compound tires like the rt-615 and MX.

And speaking of shoes, I think I'm going to change from the Goodyear fad. They're comfortable, stylish, and cool, but I've never seen anyone wearing a pair from Piloti. I'll be ordering some Pilotis next time.

Laundry detergent has a hard enough time getting into my car (we take my ol' ladies ride to get groceries since she likes to use my bumper and trunk as a shelf to hold stuff thats too heavy for her :mad:) let alone on my car. And hey, it was worth a try. :lol:

What do you use to clean your clear plastics (ie. headlights)?

Meguiar's has Glass and Plastic polish, that works fantastic.

Meguiar's has Glass and Plastic polish, that works fantastic.

Have you ever tried the spray on foam "Gunk"? It claims it can be used on glass, chrome and plastic, but I'm never heard of anyone using it for extended periods of time.

Have you ever tried the spray on foam "Gunk"? It claims it can be used on glass, chrome and plastic, but I'm never heard of anyone using it for extended periods of time.

The purple kind in the black bottle? nah. **** that stuff its terrible on paint!

No, this is a white foam in a blue and white spray can that you spray onto the window and then wipe off. It says on the can that can be used glass, chrome and plastic on everything from cars to boats and is safe on paint, but then again, Armor All says their wipes are made for dash's...cracking dash's that is. I think I'm just going to go with the Meguires. :lol:

Armorall is an oil based conditioner and it is terrible if you don't apply it every 2~3 weeks. Use a Blue Coral or better Meguiar's WATER based conditioner for a better protection and less greasy feel.

Incase you are wondering I'm a detail supervisor at a carwash which does full detail jobs. ;)

I'm actually in here to profess my love for 5th gen Preludes. I might be buying one tomorrow. If I do, pics upcoming.

*edit*
Is this what I have to look forward to in a Prelude forum? http://www.preludezone.com/showthread.php?t=3782

Give me a break, these kids needs to learn how to talk and how to get their facts straight. Read what the first few people said when commenting on the GTO (Holden Monaro). Makes me sick. The 3rd Gen F-body forum I visit is definately more mature and isn't filled with the stereotypical rednecks like the Prelude forums are filled with the stereotypical ricer crackers.

Armorall is an oil based conditioner and it is terrible if you don't apply it every 2~3 weeks. Use a Blue Coral or better Meguiar's WATER based conditioner for a better protection and less greasy feel.

Incase you are wondering I'm a detail supervisor at a carwash which does full detail jobs. ;)

I'm actually in here to profess my love for 5th gen Preludes. I might be buying one tomorrow. If I do, pics upcoming.

*edit*
Is this what I have to look forward to in a Prelude forum? http://www.preludezone.com/showthread.php?t=3782

Give me a break, these kids needs to learn how to talk and how to get their facts straight. Read what the first few people said when commenting on the GTO (Holden Monaro). Makes me sick. The 3rd Gen F-body forum I visit is definately more mature and isn't filled with the stereotypical rednecks like the Prelude forums are filled with the stereotypical ricer crackers.

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. ;)

*edit*

Just something ive noticed, the faster the car is stock, the more of a ricer/redneck the drivers are. Also the slower the car, the more people seem to get to know their car more. Ofcourse there are heaps of exceptions, im talking both generally and from a personal perspective.

Armorall is an oil based conditioner and it is terrible if you don't apply it every 2~3 weeks.

I've also heard and seen horror stories of it cracking apart peoples dashes, especially around corners (ie. air bag area, front vents). My friends 2001 Civic started cracking after he started using it where as my 1993 Prelude still had a brand new looking dash. I used Meguires leather wipes for years on it and never had a problem.

And no, not all Prelude owners are like that. Most of them are pretty nice and treat the car like the classic it is. My friend and I were at the car wash waiting in line for some bays to open up (he owns a 1996 Supra, all done up) and out of no where this old guy says "nice car", so of course I thought he was talking about my friends ride. Nope, he then proceeded to go around my car, looking it up and down, talking about how he use to have a '94 Prelude VTEC just like it and everything else. Pretty cool if you ask me. 👍

There's a reason I have about 20 posts in two Lexus separate forums: The grammar and fact-checking are bad, but the attitudes are worse. The mod staff is usually decent, can't say I've had much beef with them, but there's pools of morons there who might make me get an cerebral [WIKIPEDIA]aneurysm[/WIKIPEDIA], so I avoid them, but for a search or two.

I visit the HondaSUV forum every so often, but there's not much traffic. The mods and members treat each other well, and the place is nice and clean, liek it is here. Trouble is, there's not much traffic last I visited.

The thing already grips well with gay all-seasons.

Don't do this again, please. GAY !=! CRAPPY. Thank you.

On topic, does anybody know the non-scan-tool method of resetting the service warning light on an EJ Civic? The maintenance has been done, but we want to kill the reminder light without taking it somewhere.

Thanks.

Is this what I have to look forward to in a Prelude forum?

It couldn't possibly be worse than what some GTO guys have to say about a Prelude....or any Honda. Every brand/car will have its share of clueless fanbois. I wouldn't be surprised if RSX or S2000 owners have said crap about the Prelude. It happens.

Honda content: I like Preludes. They're cool.

Pupik
There's a reason I have about 20 posts in two Lexus separate forums: The grammar and fact-checking are bad, but the attitudes are worse. The mod staff is usually decent, can't say I've had much beef with them, but there's pools of morons there who might make me get an cerebral aneurysm, so I avoid them, but for a search or two.

That's pretty much the way I feel about most BMW forums, save for the Track/Auto-x subforums, which have a much better signal/noise ratio.

M

Don't do this again, please. GAY !=! CRAPPY. Thank you.

On topic, does anybody know the non-scan-tool method of resetting the service warning light on an EJ Civic? The maintenance has been done, but we want to kill the reminder light without taking it somewhere.

Thanks.

There should be a tiny black button on the cluster near either the odometer or the MRL (Maintenance Required Light) itself. Press and hold for about 30 seconds to clear it. ;)

Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to reset the ECU.

Does this work for the Prelude? I need an inspection and my CEL and ABS lights to mysteriously disappear so I can get my car inspected.

Which brings me to the following questions that I need answered for my new Prelude.

• What's the best brand spark plug wires and plugs to get. I preferred Bosch on my Nissans, would Bosch work well with the Prelude?
  • If the ABS light is on is that just the ABS sensor(s) or it is because the brakes need to be replaced--or both?
  • Anyone changed the Sunroof motor before? Do I HAVE to take it to the Honda dealer to get it done?
  • Whats the best air intake to get for a Honda. I'm not necessarily looking for performance--but more in terms of gas mileage and efficiancy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Back