Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,230 comments
^ Can't be any worse than my chassis butchering. :P

Decided to start another Z by doing a simple wheel swap to begin with, it's already stripped, i just can't decide between: Awesome V8 bonnet bulge/or bulge air intake... Or, Mighty turbo popping through the bonnet...
Also, don't know whether to try and delete the bumpers and rear spoiler... any suggestions?

If i go the turbo route, i'm hoping to make it look like this, with the smoothed and filled grill and smoothed headlight fairings.

Cheers for the suggestion,👍 but i don't have the wheels to make it into a Land speed car, so it's definitely going to be some kind of drag car.

Cheers for the suggestion,👍 but i don't have the wheels to make it into a Land speed car, so it's definitely going to be some kind of drag car.

Rip them off a Salt Shaker.... cut the front body off and add some putty in between to extend the body. Take the engines off the salt shaker and "duct tape" it together... or take them off the Custom El Camino and hook it all up in the back.

If you do this, I'll give you my Open Roadster and Buzz-Off to take their wings off of.

Do you guys often sketch cars and wish you could make a Hot Wheel of it?
I did that today with this inspired by the Golden Submarine.
I could use the Boulevard of it I have to make it, but it would be tricky and not turn out exactly how I'd like.

I do it at times, as matter of fact i even sketched my own graphics for the Packin' Pacer once and on top of that i have been meaning to sketch the Suzuki Escudo pikes peak version for a while but still haven't!:lol:

I could use the Boulevard of it I have to make it, but it would be tricky and not turn out exactly how I'd like.

Hot%20Wheels__Golden%20Submarine_5Iq4.jpg

+

hw_surfcrate_2007.jpg

Not that I'd assume you guys would know this, but my car it to utilize a DOHC straight six.

That was an old dream of mine, to be a car designer... getting in to work as a Mattel fantasy car designer is a competitive position.

If you wanted to make diecast models of fantasy cars... Well, I'm working on a surrealistic rendition of a '06 Viper GTS right now actually and it's going to be 3D printed to 1:64 scale.

You can do something like that too ,with a whole month's time, using urethane foam and polyester putty...both of which don't require expensive tools and are materials that are hella easy to work with.

At 1ness
^ Can't be any worse than my chassis butchering. :P

Decided to start another Z by doing a simple wheel swap to begin with, it's already stripped, i just can't decide between: Awesome V8 bonnet bulge/or bulge air intake... Or, Mighty turbo popping through the bonnet...
Also, don't know whether to try and delete the bumpers and rear spoiler... any suggestions?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34812175@N04/8202269867/

If i go the turbo route, i'm hoping to make it look like this, with the smoothed and filled grill and smoothed headlight fairings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34812175@N04/8202304097/

A land speed Datsun with a massive TT setup on either a built RB or a LSX engine......:eek:

Like Cano said...... Go for it! :D

McZachenF1138

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mczachenf138/8204204414/

I do sketch out some Hot Wheels sometimes. I'm mostly doing the Honda S2K and the 24/7 for now, but not for a HW car inspiration, yet.

But how would that S2K and 24/7 aka "FD RX7" bodykits would look on a REAL S2K AP and FD RX7? Wish that I had the real cars, either fiberglass or polyurethane materials, the tools for bodykit fabrication and some 3D design kits, then I'm set. But I don't so I need to get back to working on them on paper soon. :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions guys 👍. Iv'e decided i really want to do a drag car (like the red one i posted), but i also want to do a salt flat car, so i guess i'll be doing both... I like the wheel solution you guys have suggested (AOS & McZachen) but i think i'm going to have to source the same wheels that are on that gold car Cano posted, it just has to have them.
I remember watching a documentary about the bonneville speed week, and there was some gold coloured muscle car that had front end treatment that was similar to a Charger Daytona, it looked really cool, so i'm thinking i'll do a ZG nose for the Z salt flat racer, but i'll think i'll get the drag car out of the way first (easier custom of the 2).

Vspec, that red 240Z pic i posted has an RB30 engine, and does the quarter in 7.86 secs. :drool: It's made by R.I.P.S (Rotorua Import Pro Shop) in New Zealand. 👍

[EDIT] Short vid of it's first ever 7 second (bracket) pass, not sure whether it's still the fastest Z in the world, but i think it's still awesome:
http://www.ripsltd.com/movies/1st 7 second pass.html

There's no way i'd be able to do a livery like that, so my custom will just be sympathetic to the unlivered version.. also the wheels won't be the same.

Last edited:
That is the car.
:lol: I knew you would know the exact car i was referring to Cano.
Absolutely love that thing... Thanks for posting the link man. 👍
The Z i plan on doing will have a similar rear wing to that, along with tubbed out wheel-wells, and a 240ZG style front. The thing i foresee having problems with is the tubbed out arches... the inner walls of the casts arches are so thick, but at the same time, that should help when bonding putty to the face edges of the arch, as i hope to make the upper arch edges smaller/lower, similar to a funny drag car style.

Anyway, slight update on my 1st 240Z custom. I've half completed the arch blisters on 1 of the sides. I have to say, the arches so-far have been a complete royal pain in the ass!... i spent nearly 2 hours just trying to sculpt the front one, and iv'e discovered the back one needs to be slightly wider. Another thing that's been brought to my attention is, the lower edge of the body sill needs to taper in more (should be easy to fix). Overall, it hasn't been easy, but for a novice like me, i'm actually quite pleased with it so-far. :D

pic:

Hey guys, for rounded rivets, you could maybe try using a center punch and hammer first.
I've drilled open 2 cars with the rounded rivets (standard drill bit), but unfortunately couldn't find my old center punch and suffered from wandering drill. :lol:
Okey i know you said you couldn't find it but you think you can post a link to what your talking about please?:)

Sure, this one is a bit fancy compared to mine though. :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UKYOW4/?tag=gtplanet-20

It just makes an indentation, when used correctly should stop the drill from wandering when you start drilling.

On another note... Damn! i wish i had more free time to work on my customs, at the moment i can't see myself finishing any of them soon.

List of customs i plan on doing, (shown in order):

1) (HW) JDM (style) Datsun 240Z
2) (Realtoy) RWB Porsche 993
3) (HW) 240Z Drag car
4) (HW) 240Z Bonneville salt flat car
5) (Realtoy) Honda S2000
6) (MB) Caterham Fireblade
7) (HW) Morris Mini (needs finishing)
8) (AT'1 Scratch-built) ......... (it's going to be British, and can't i believe no-ones done it yet) That is all i can say. :D
9) (AT'1 Scratch-built) ......... (Racing Concept, should look great if i can pull it off.) :D

So, should be finished in 10yrs time. :lol:

Last edited:
You can do the same thing with a big nail...

Also, I'm about halfway to ordering some Tamiya polyester putty along with 5 Tamiya Enamels off some HK seller on Ebay... going to grab two blacks, one yellow and one gold, and one thinner.

Last edited:
You can do the same thing with a big nail...

True...
Hey AOS, let me know how you get on with the Tamiya putty, i might actually try some after iv'e finished off my supply of Milliput.

PS, i'm sure i read some guy uses 'JB weld' for sculpting on one of the modeling sites i visited. I might have to give that a try too at some point.... i'm quite happy with the Milliput, but i wouldn't mind trying other stuff to see if there's any differences between them all.

Well here is a Hot Wheels London Taxi I detailed recently.
2012-10-27-103207_zps3a327916.jpg

This thing was originally a Corgi casting until Mattel bought Corgi in the '90s as stated here and it later became a Hot Wheels casting. It wasn't used much at all on the Hot Wheels line.:indiff: Personally, I thought this Corgi casting deserved much better than what it had, so I decided to put some nice details on it and give it the attention it really deserves.;)

Before:
No details on the handlebars, emblems, or lights.
2012-10-28-153705.jpg

2012-10-29-151223.jpg

2012-10-29-150757.jpg

2012-10-28-152317.jpg

After:
Added some details to the emblem, lights, handlebars, and license plate.
2012-11-08-181738.jpg

2012-11-08-181612.jpg

2012-10-29-150817.jpg

2012-11-08-181559.jpg

2012-11-08-181817.jpg

2012-11-08-181833.jpg

Nothing super dramatic but I wanted to post it anyway.;) This is only a small project for me, I have bigger and better ones coming soon!;)

Edit: Reuploaded since I no longer need Photobucket.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back