Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,230 comments
If it was me, I'd run down the paint with water and brush on a few layers. and then spray on the next few, but from a faaaaaar distance. Only problem with spray is not getting the tight crevices between the back of the wheel and the individual lace.

That depends on the paint used though. Enamel paint won't thin with water.

I'd just carefully do it with a fine brush or toothpick. You're going to hate the results with a spray can.

Jason is right; oil-based paints don't like water in it.

Guys - I wonder whether any of you watch Stacey David - this guy always has the most incredible models on his desk when he presents his show. Well - the 2012 Model Championships are over - but the 2013 is now open I believe. Maybe some of you aces should have a look and give it a shot. Wish I had the time - and it also I would think need oodles of skill and a chunk of money.
Would be totally awesome if one of us got a mention in there! :)
Look for details of the Contest in here:
http://staceydavid.com/

Stacey is such a great guy and always enjoy his shows. I may submit something this year as I do 1:24 models as well. :D

Yeah, WTG, Zach. Go for it. Hey, if you want any kind of support or help - I'm in your corner.
I really like Stacey - he's super-cool when it comes to cars and customising - and we're talking big cars now. ;) He's funny, intelligent, easy on the eye and ear, (as in stylish) and totally car-savvy. Great programs - did you see the one with the Carrera Slot Racing segment? Classic hilarity - Batman, the chicken, and the woman in the swimsuit. :lol: I never knew Carrera was so into the scenary, too, until he demonstrated how much.

Taking your customising into the bigger leagues may be just what you need to do now - the work you are showing in this thread shows you have not only the passion but the talent to go with it. Good Luck!

Anyone interested in Slot Cars should look at this:

http://www.carrera-toys.com/en/

AOS - to get back to the 'Customised Cars' business you were going to start with Jason - how did the Board Meeting go? Who got the 51% of the shares? Are we going to see Product any time soon? Will Cano be a Consultant? Any discounts for GTP members? Refund Policy?

All these questions.. . .

I may just submit this one.
There's no way I'll have the time or money to make another. And the Mk IV Supra I've been "working" on for months isn't exactly their cup of automotive tea either.

Which is why you hit that speech bubble in that quote to see that post in context.

AOS - to get back to the 'Customised Cars' business you were going to start with Jason - how did the Board Meeting go? Who got the 51% of the shares? Are we going to see Product any time soon? Will Cano be a Consultant? Any discounts for GTP members? Refund Policy?

I only said something, never declared it official, Jason hasn't said anything about it.

Product? Maybe in December. Cano can go burn himself. Discounts for GTP members only if they're not ugly and absolutely no refunds. If there's any problems with this you can talk to either Jason or Mr. T.

MaistoTruckmicrolawn_zpsd78804c6.jpg

Okay guys, I set it in motion.... let's see how well it'll work. :D

Is it Australian Blue Grass you are using? I think that would be the best colour scheme. Just a suggestion . . . ;)

Also what I meant was - if you plant too much seed, it will bury the pot.

Meh, this truck is similar enough. Other casting I plan to use should this current one succeed are:

MBXRVwhite_zps449b8c91.jpg

ArmoredVanorange_zps6058eb7e.jpg

117dae17.jpg

d95529a7.jpg

3ed610be.jpg

And possibly a Surfin' School Bus, Chevy Blazer 4x4, VW 181, Chevy Stepside

I agree with Cano, Bread box planter would look awesome.

Also need to get myself some of those silver sharpies... but have also been considering getting some bare metal foil and experimenting. :nervous:

Ever-so slight update on the Z:

Have now sculpted both arches each side and added more depth to the rear ones. I'm still experimenting with the possibilities of putty use, so decided i'd try and do some B-pillars (quite fiddly)... anyway, one of them broke off when filing :(, but i'm quite pleased how the other one turned out :D
I've still got plenty to do before i can prime it for paint (progressing at Tortoise pace :lol:), and still need to add a bit to the front and rear bumpers (filed down when filing the arches), also need to do the wing mirrors (haven't yet decided how to approach it..), and i obviously need to re-do the right hand side B-pillar.

The Z now has 1 headlight :lol: (just a test fit... had to get hold of some smaller gem thingys (3mm) as the 4mm i had, were too big. Although hard to see, i also decided to upholster the interior with some rather funky red fuzzy felt as well (for the scale, it looks like a cross between shag-pile and alcantara). :lol:

pics:

PS. Front axle has now been widened by 2mm, and the rear axle has been widened by 4mm.

Last edited:
Also need to get myself some of those silver sharpies... but have also been considering getting some bare metal foil and experimenting. :nervous:

If ypu ever get to foiling, you'll never turn back to paint. Also, awesoke job on the Z! Those fenders are amazing.

So are you still going with a drag car?

No on the drag car. Modded street car FTW.

If I remember correctly, he wanted to do like 3 Zs, this one bein' the modded street car, then a drag car, and then... another thing, I don't remember lol. But if drag car:

hrdp-2011-drag-week-unlimited-7782.jpg

Back