Is democracy right for every country?

• Thread starter s0nny80y
  • 63 comments
But the current problem is is it in every countries interest, or should I say nature to uphold this indefinetly, are they capable of doing this (e.g. the voters having the option to do something about it) and prospering from it?

All of europe and almost all of the intelligenista of the era felt that the United staes was a doomed experiment and "common" people could never be expected to govergn themselves .

Seems history is doomed to repeat itself no matter how much you try to point it out .

I belive it was Toqueville who had predicted that radical individualism was going to be one of the greatest "threats" to American Democracy, one that can be said to cause the American Civil War, and one that continues to plague this country with the extremely partisan politics that surround nearly everything that the government deals with today.

Now our little expiriment certainly has worked out fairly well, but there have been plenty of hiccups along the way. Granted the great part about the way American democracy has worked has for the most part been that Americans care more for one another simply because they are Americans... We don't view eachother as someone who is from Michigan or Ohio (read into our state's rivalry, its funny), if we are Catholic or Muslim, Democrat or Republican.

...Its the "respect" that has kept this country together for so long...

When things get bad, people often move twards exteme measures to fix their current problems at hand. What worries me most about the 2008 election is that because of what has happened in Iraq, the average voter may retreat to the side of the far-left-wing Democrats and could push the country back 20 years in terms of economic and social issues. Granted, there will always be people like me who will vote to keep their Congressional representatives on their "side," another thorn in the side of the Executive Office, and stop the bad from happening.

...Its the "respect" that has kept this country together for so long...

I respectfully disagree. Americans do not respect each other. People, generally, do not respect each other. If people respected each other we would not have laws the prevent drug use, and prostitution or require seat belts. We would not attempt to prevent people from driving with cell phones or carrying guns. We would not attempt to vote away the property of those who have earned it so that we (who have not earned it) can have more. America has a history of discrimination against black people. We have a history of disrespect for homosexuals, for property rights, and for freedom of speech.

America has not been held together by something as fragile as respect. America has been held together by design. Capitalism and Democracy coupled with limited government and a bill of rights is a powerful design that rocketed this country into a superpower in fairly little time (especially if you consider the still fairly recent civil war).

Back