Islam - What's your view on it?

• Thread starter SalmanBH
  • 5,688 comments
Sorry, you just suggested millions support terrorism?
That was not my intent. By using the term "they (the millions) support an effectively embedded network", I meant to imply much smaller numbers, hundreds or thousands (the Salafist network), are doing the dirty work of recruiting, financing and organizing the actual terrorists. The Salafist fish swims in the larger sea of Muslims.

That was not my intent. By using the term "they (the millions) support an effectively embedded network", I meant to imply much smaller numbers, hundreds or thousands (the Salafist network), are doing the dirty work of recruiting, financing and organizing the actual terrorists. The Salafist fish swims in the larger sea of Muslims.

So there are thousands of terrorist recruiters? Proof?

So there are thousands of terrorist recruiters? Proof?
No "proof" from me. It's all there on CNN: in France alone it is estimated that at least 1000 French nationals have been recruited, financed and transported to train in Syria or Yemen. Say there is 1 funded recruiter, perhaps with his Imam, family, scouts or bodyguards for every 10 recruits. That's easily some multiple of 100 in France alone.

I mentioned funding. Where do you suppose the money comes from to put unemployed young men from a Muslim village in France on a jet to the Middle East? Could it possibly, just maybe, come from the village?

Last edited:
I mentioned funding. Where do you suppose the money comes from to put unemployed young men from a Muslim village in France on a jet to the Middle East? Could it possibly, just maybe, come from the village?

Its most likely to have come from the Middle East itself, even directly from IS who are know to be generating a substantial revenue from the areas they control as well as having seized substantial sums of money.

You will of course be partially right in that some will come from overseas and Europe and the US being a factor in that, just as a good degree of funding for Christian Terrorists came from the US in the 70's onwards.

According to a Pew Research Poll, 1/6 French Muslims always or sometimes support a Charlie Hebdo and Jewish Market type of massacre against civilians:

upload_2015-1-10_23-30-59.png

Change Islam to Christianity or Judaism, swap around a few quotes for those from the relevant texts and you will be able to produce the exact same thing.
It wouldn't matter cause it isn't Christianity or Judaism* that is causing such chaos in the world today. Look Scaff, people wouldn't be bashing Islam if it's adherents learned how to act like they belong in the 21st century.

*Depending on who you ask.

"I don't condone violence but if you insult the prophet then hey, you had it coming", is what they're saying. Literally hundreds of millions worldwide would happily support the curbing of free speech. Because religion. Because feelings. Tell me that isn't a problem. No, try living in a country where the limitation of free speech has been abused, then tell me that isn't a problem.

It wouldn't matter cause it isn't Christianity or Judaism* that is causing such chaos in the world today. Look Scaff, people wouldn't be bashing Islam if it's adherents learned how to act like they belong in the 21st century.

So all they have to do is assimilate and everybody will be happy! Aside from the rather horrifying implications of that, you're also making the assumption that the minority are representative of the majority.

According to a Pew Research Poll, 1/6 French Muslims always or sometimes support a Charlie Hebdo and Jewish Market type of massacre against civilians:

View attachment 288466
And a similar number of American Catholics supported direct action by the IRA, as such I take it you will be treating all Christians (as you are also incapable of looking at sects in Islam) in the same way.

It also still fails to not that verbal support by a minority does not mean that minority would carry out any action or change that the majority are a problem.

Yes the minority of the minority need to be addressed, but targeting the whole to do that is counter productive.

It would be interesting to compare that with the number of Christians who support the targeting of civilians with drones.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/161474/support-drone-attacks-terrorists-abroad.aspx

The US is roughly 73% Christian, do the math and it would seem that an even greater number of Christian Americans are in favour of killing civilians if they consider them a potential enemy.

"I don't condone violence but if you insult the prophet then hey, you had it coming", is what they're saying. Literally hundreds of millions worldwide would happily support the curbing of free speech. Because religion. Because feelings. Tell me that isn't a problem. No, try living in a country where the limitation of free speech has been abused, then tell me that isn't a problem.

What all of them are saying that?

As I've come across plenty that are not, two of whom were are the sites of the French attacks, one of whom lost his life and the other who saved six people while risking his own.

I've also never said that the problem of free speech isn't something that shouldn't be addressed, nor that any group that suppresses it doesn't need to be addressed.

However to claim that ask Muslims are an issue our that no problems of this nature exist with Christianity or Judaism is both massively inaccurate and absurd.

If you wish to target the removal of rights by religions then do do in an unbiased and accurate way, rather that simply focusing on one and assuming the rest are fine.

Last edited:
So all they have to do is assimilate and everybody will be happy! Aside from the rather horrifying implications of that, you're also making the assumption that the minority are representative of the majority.
What horrifying implications? "Risk marginalizing Muslims into being radicalized, blah blah blah"? Yeah, it's all your fault these guys can't understand how to live in a free society. Fix it.

How do you come to a middle ground on 'free speech vs no free speech'? Limited free speech?

What horrifying implications? "Risk marginalizing Muslims into being radicalized, blah blah blah"? Yeah, it's all your fault these guys can't understand how to live in a free society. Fix it?
Again your using the issues you have to demand a blanket approach to all.

The majority of Muslims in Europe have integrated well, target those in the same way as you would the ones who haven't and its hardly likely to continue that way. Or do you actually believe that collective punishment will work?

What horrifying implications?
The ones that we discovered when we had a policy of assimilation as a part of the government's plan to bring the indigenous population in line with society at large. Now, I appreciate that it is a different demographic, but the policy of assimilation was traumatic as people were forcibly removed from their homes and family units, and were essentially given no choice but to abandon their cultural beliefs and adopt someone else's values for that someone else's sake.

Faith is extremely important to Muslims - sure, we always hear about cases where people are sentenced to death for the crime of renouncing Islam, but by and large, the concept of giving up their faith is unthinkable to the average Muslim. But if you start introducing a policy of assimilation, where you are asking them "to behave as if they belong in the 21st Century", as you put it, the inevitable conclusion is that you are putting in a position where they must give up a significant part of their identity just to live in the West.

So please, answer me this - what's the difference between a hijab, habit, niqab and a burqa?

It would be interesting to compare that with the number of Christians who support the targeting of civilians with drones.

The US is roughly 73% Christian, do the math and it would seem that an even greater number of Christian Americans are in favour of killing civilians if they consider them a potential enemy.
You are comparing killing in the interest of national security (however baseless that may be, the US is frickin' paranoid to be killing "enemies" abroad) and killing because of blasphemy.

A sizable chuck of them are. You just have to read the comments coming from Muslims which is overwhelmingly "they had it coming". Even my mom rationalized the killing but can you blame her, she's religious, and we've never had absolute free speech anyway. It's not my role as a kafir to work with them and change their opinion. They've already written me off with their intolerant, discriminatory religion. Though, it is my role as a human with the freedom of speech to criticize and ridicule bad ideas.

However to claim that ask Muslims are an issue our that no problems of this nature exist with Christianity or Judaism is both massively inaccurate and absurd.

If you wish to target the removal of rights by religions then do do in an unbiased and accurate way, rather that simply focusing on one and assuming the rest are fine.
Where are the other religious groups which have killed people because their religion was insulted? (Honest question if I happened to miss any.)

The ones that we discovered when we had a policy of assimilation as a part of the government's plan to bring the indigenous population in line with society at large. Now, I appreciate that it is a different demographic, but the policy of assimilation was traumatic as people were forcibly removed from their homes and family units, and were essentially given no choice but to abandon their cultural beliefs and adopt someone else's values for that someone else's sake.

Faith is extremely important to Muslims - sure, we always hear about cases where people are sentenced to death for the crime of renouncing Islam, but by and large, the concept of giving up their faith is unthinkable to the average Muslim. But if you start introducing a policy of assimilation, where you are asking them "to behave as if they belong in the 21st Century", as you put it, the inevitable conclusion is that you are putting in a position where they must give up a significant part of their identity just to live in the West.

So please, answer me this - what's the difference between a hijab, habit, niqab and a burqa?
Oh, the multiculturalism aspect.

Ok, all you have to do is implement Sharia law which sentences apostates of Islam to death and criminalize those who insult (criticize and ridicule) Islam. 👍

A hijab is a headscarf that covers the hair and only shows the face. A habit is a routine of behavior that is repeated regularly and tends to occur unconsciously. A niqab is the one which covers the whole body. Same goes for the burqa.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are comparing killing in the interest of national security (however baseless that may be, the US is frickin' paranoid to be killing "enemies" abroad) and killing because of blasphemy.
No, I'm comparing support by religious groups for the targeting of civilians.

The method of attacking the target is indeed different, but it would appear that US Christians support attacks on untried civilians about the same as Muslims do.

I personally believe that Christians who support flying a bomb into a cafe full of civilians should be asking as many questions as Muslims who support killing civilians. However I'm also sane enough to realis that that majority in both groups don't support this, and that a good number who claim support are doing so out of anger and/or fear and have not fully thought through what they are supporting, as such I'm not going to judge the whole by the actions of the minority.

A sizable chuck of them are. You just have to read the comments coming from Muslims which is overwhelmingly "they had it coming". Even my mom rationalized the killing but can you blame her, she's religious, and we've never had absolute free speech anyway. It's not my role as a kafir to work with them and change their opinion. They've already written me off with their intolerant, discriminatory religion. Though, it is my role as a human with the freedom of speech to criticize and ridicule bad ideas.
A sizable chuck of them where you are maybe, not where I am.

What part of that point continues to escape you!

Have you considered that those in your location who do not condone it don't speak out because they are afraid to (which I have already said is a problem) or even that some who do publically don't in private (for the same reason)?

Is that impossible?

Do you think that during the second world war that every German supported the Nazi's? Do you not think that some did publicly out of fear? What about the Japanese at the same time period?

Where are the other religious groups which have killed people because their religion was insulted? (Honest question if I happened to miss any.)
Its rather telling that you have to narrow it to one single incident and cause isn't it.

How many people have died because Christians believed that those who were not white were lower? How many because being a member of the LGBT community is 'wrong'? How many because belonging to the wrong sect is false worship?

All these 'actions' could be considered 'insults' if you wish, so in answer to your question hundreds of thousands, if not millions; and yet you give them a free pass, you don't demand collective action based on that.

Ok, all you have to do is implement Sharia law which sentences apostates of Islam to death and criminalize those who insult (criticize and ridicule) Islam. 👍

A hijab is a headscarf that covers the hair and only shows the face. A habit is a routine of behavior that is repeated regularly and tends to occur unconsciously. A niqab is the one which covers the whole body. Same goes for the burqa.
None of which is Multicuturalism!

Its rather telling that you have to narrow it to one single incident and cause isn't it.

How many people have died because Christians believed that those who were not white were lower? How many because being a member of the LGBT community is 'wrong'? How many because belonging to the wrong sect is false worship?

All these 'actions' could be considered 'insults' if you wish, so in answer to your question hundreds of thousands, if not millions; and yet you give them a free pass, you don't demand collective action based on that.
Cultural difference maybe. You probably had more experience with the nonsense by Christianity than Islam and I probably had more experience with the nonsense by Islam than Christianity.

None of which is Multicuturalism!
...in your opinion. I was probing prisonermonkeys for answers. Don't ruin my plan!

When did I say that? You're just like every Islamophobe out there, trying to characterise its most radical form as the default belief of every Muslim.

Two out of four. A hijab is an open-faced headscarf. The niqab covers the face, but leaves a slit for the eyes. And the burqa completely covers the face and the eyes, with a mesh-like veil for the wearer to see through.

As for the habit, it's a lot like the hijab in that it is open-faced and worn as a sign of devotion, but the big difference is that it is worn by Catholic nuns.

Last edited:
Cultural difference maybe. You probably had more experience with the nonsense by Christianity than Islam and I probably had more experience with the nonsense by Islam than Christianity.
Odd then that only one of us is able to seem that all religions contain people who are a problem and that punishing the whole for the actions of the few doesn't work.........................

...in your opinion. I was probing prisonermonkeys for answers. Don't ruin my plan!
No not in my opinion, this has been covered before.

Multiculturalism doesn't mean capitulating to one group, it means accepting the actions and beliefs of a group if those actions do no harm to others and do not impeded the rights of others.

As such accepting the whole of Sharia law would not be multiculturalism, but allowing those aspects of it that relate to (for example) financial and civil activities, and in which all parties agree would be multicultural (as the UK does for Islamic, Jewish and Orthodox Christian laws).

As for the habit, it's a lot like the hijab in that it is open-faced and worn as a sign of devotion, but the big difference is that it is worn by Catholic nuns.
Actually a number of orthodox Christian and Jewish sects have exactly the same clothing requirement for women (just as they do for men around beards and headwear), its not unique to Islam.

Odd then that only one of us is able to seem that all religions contain people who are a problem and that punishing the whole for the actions of the few doesn't work.........................
One of us is supporting people who hold beliefs which fly in the face of logic and rationality. I support none of that and if I were in your shoes I would be bashing Christianity just the same.

When did I say that? You're just like every Islamophobe out there, trying to characterise its most radical form as the default belief of every Muslim.

Two out of four. A hijab is an open-faced headscarf. The niqab covers the face, but leaves a slit for the eyes. And the burqa[/] completely covers the face and the eyes, with a mesh-like veil for the wearer to see through.

There you go with the name calling. Doesn't matter that I spent half my life with Muslims and was mostly happy living with them. I criticize Islam therefore I am an Islamophobe. I live with the "moderate" form and they still believe in radical ideas. Well too bad, 🤬 me right? Good riddance the West. The more I speak with you guys, the less I care.

Thanks for the education btw, and for what purpose did you ask? To see if I was an ignorant 'Islamophobe'?

Actually a number of orthodox Christian and Jewish sects have exactly the same clothing requirement for women (just as they do for men around beards and headwear), its not unique to Islam.
That's the point I was trying to make - that women wearing robes over their head is not unheard of in a variety of faith. But where it's seen as a sign of devotion in the likes of Catholicism, Christianity and Judaism, it's interpreted as oppression in Islam (and if ever a Muslim woman tells you she wears her headscarf as a sign of devotion, she's obviously lying because she was forced to wear it by an oppressive male but does not want to incur his wrath by admitting the "truth").

One of us is supporting people who hold beliefs which fly in the face of logic and rationality. I support none of that and if I were in your shoes I would be bashing Christianity just the same.

Must be you then, as I certainly don't.

If people want to believe in nonsense then all power to them, as long as it doesn't affect the rights of anyone else I don't give a hoot. However those who do cross the line into affecting others rights I am most certainly critical of and you will not find me supporting them at all.

The key difference is that I'm not conflating those two groups, I understand that grey lines exist between the two (which is exactly why I don't demand apologies from all Americans for the support a minority gave to the IRA, or call for collective action against all of them for it), and that for the majority who condemn the actions of the few using collective punishment will be counterproductive and dangerous.

That's the point I was trying to make - that women wearing robes over their head is not unheard of in a variety of faith. But where it's seen as a sign of devotion in the likes of Catholicism, Christianity and Judaism, it's interpreted as oppression in Islam (and if ever a Muslim woman tells you she wears her headscarf as a sign of devotion, she's obviously lying because she was forced to wear it by an oppressive male but does not want to incur his wrath by admitting the "truth").
Yep.

I've mentioned this a number of times in the past and its almost certain that within all faiths some will wear it because they want to and some will wear it because they feel forced to. We need to protect the rights of both groups to chose the actions they wish to take, be it to wear it or to not be forced to wear it.

Not an easy or simple thing to achieve, but it is the right one.

I've mentioned this a number of times in the past and its almost certain that within all faiths some will wear it because they want to and some will wear it because they feel forced to. We need to protect the rights of both groups to chose the actions they wish to take, be it to wear it or to not be forced to wear it.

Not an easy or simple thing to achieve, but it is the right one.
The problem is the cherry-picking of arguments. If you open yourself up to alternative explanations, it challenges your preconceptions. It's easy to believe that Muslim women are forced to wear veils against their will, because that fits everything that we are told about Islam - that it's barbaric, that it's misogynistic, that it's archaic.

The problem is the cherry-picking of arguments. If you open yourself up to alternative explanations, it challenges your preconceptions. It's easy to believe that Muslim women are forced to wear veils against their will, because that fits everything that we are told about Islam - that it's barbaric, that it's misogynistic, that it's archaic.
The systematic human rights violations in Muslim countries are no coincidence.

The systematic human rights violations in Muslim countries are no coincidence.

Look closely enough, and you will find human rights violations anywhere you look.

Equally prepeturated in Christian countries like Zimbabwe, for example. Or even Russia. Before you champion Islamic Africa and countries such as Eritrea and Somalia you cannot talk about this without ignoring the fact that central and southern Africa is majoratively Christian and there are innumerable cases of human rights abuse there.

This is not endemic to Islamic countries.

This is not endemic to Islamic countries.
Nor is it endemic to the developing world. Just days before the attacks on Charlie Hebdo, I saw a report on the BBC about the way the French are treating the Roma people. Or there is the way Israel opposed the International Criminal Court's recognition of Palestine as a state because it would allow the Palestinians to take cases against the Israelis to the ICC for prosecution. Or what about the CIA report into torture, which revealed massive human rights violations (and which, sadly, nothing seems to have come of)?

And a similar number of American Catholics supported direct action by the IRA, as such I take it you will be treating all Christians (as you are also incapable of looking at sects in Islam) in the same way.

It also still fails to not that verbal support by a minority does not mean that minority would carry out any action or change that the majority are a problem.

Yes the minority of the minority need to be addressed, but targeting the whole to do that is counter productive.

As I've come across plenty that are not, two of whom were are the sites of the French attacks, one of whom lost his life and the other who saved six people while risking his own.

I've also never said that the problem of free speech isn't something that shouldn't be addressed, nor that any group that suppresses it doesn't need to be addressed.

The question was asked, "do millions of Muslims support terrorism?". The answer is obviously yes. I'm not sure why Christians or Jews supporting drone strikes has anything to do with that. If 100% of North Koreans supported death by torture would that make any difference to millions of Muslims supporting terrorism? Separate issues and one doesn't mitigate that other.

The question was asked, "do millions of Muslims support terrorism?". The answer is obviously yes. I'm not sure why Christians or Jews supporting drone strikes has anything to do with that. If 100% of North Koreans supported death by torture would that make any difference to millions of Muslims supporting terrorism? Separate issues and one doesn't mitigate that other.
So you don't consider the actions carried out by the IRA to have been terrorism then?

How would you describe an attack that detonates a explosive device in a cafe which kills only civilians?

You repeatedly judge a majority based on the actions of a minority, but you chose to do so only for one group and ignore that fact that this can be applied to other groups, while completely ignoring the majority do not agree with these attacks.

It would also seem to have ignored the actual survey I posted, which covers the fact that when asked if they accept that civilians would die in drone attacks Americans support this in similar numbers to Muslims.

As such why are you unhappy with one group (and apply that to the whole) and yet have no issue with the other? Unless that is you hold teh lives of one group of innocent civilians as more worthy of living than the other.

Last edited:
IMO, there is a single source of the virus that has infected the entire Muslim world. That is the Sauds and their state religion of Wahabbism. For decades the Sauds have spent over 100 billion dollars exporting their fundamentalist extremism far and wide. Source, NBC news.

The US, Great Britain and other western nations have had a special relationship with the Kingdom for decades which places them beyond reproach, like a sacred cow. This is due to their petroleum resources and their importance to national economies and the world balance of power. That this relationship has gone beyond dysfunctional can no longer be avoided. Even at this very hour, the US and Saudi Arabia are flooding the global market with cheap oil, with dubious consequences for all other energy producers with higher production costs, including the UK. The politics of rivalry with Russia, Venezuela, etc. are likely involved. The US and Saudi Arabia are quite willing to throw Europe and the rest of the world under the bus in order to maintain military and economic dominance supported by a corner on the global oil market.

If you value what's left of your liberties and economic viability, you must begin by reexamining your relationship with Saudi Arabia and the Sunni Gulf Emirates. The US will not do it for you.

@Dotini lol, sacred cow. When their oil runs out you're gonna turn right around and invade them, right? :sly:

@Scaff, the poll Johnny presented asked Muslims about violence against civilians in the defense of Islam. Then you come up with evidence of Americans who support violence against civilians in the interest of national security. I'm an atheist and I would support drone strikes if it is killing enemies of my country. Get a poll which show Christians who support violence against civilians in the defense of Christianity. (Why the hell am I defending religious people?!! :crazy:)

@Dotini lol, sacred cow. When their oil runs out you're gonna turn right around and invade them, right? :sly:

@Scaff, the poll Johnny presented asked Muslims about violence against civilians in the defense of Islam. Then you come up with evidence of Americans who support violence against civilians in the interest of national security. I'm an atheist and I would support drone strikes if it is killing enemies of my country. Get a poll which show Christians who support violence against civilians in the defense of Christianity. (Why the hell am I defending religious people?!! :crazy:)
Actually he originally posted it to prove that millions in France support terrorism, that you describe drone strikes as national security is something that many on the receiving end may debate.

I also note that just as he is, you are ignoring the questions regarding the support of the IRA.

So you don't consider the actions carried out by the IRA to have been terrorism then?

How would you describe an attack that detonates a explosive device in a cafe which kills only civilians?

You repeatedly judge a majority based on the actions of a minority, but you chose to do so only for one group and ignore that fact that this can be applied to other groups, while completely ignoring the majority do not agree with these attacks.

It would also seem to have ignored the actual survey I posted, which covers the fact that when asked if they accept that civilians would die in drone attacks Americans support this in similar numbers to Muslims.

As such why are you unhappy with one group (and apply that to the whole) and yet have no issue with the other? Unless that is you hold teh lives of one group of innocent civilians as more worthy of living than the other.
I though this was the Islam what's your view on it thread. I don't see how what the IRA did has anything to do with Islam, whether they are the same or polar opposites.

Please show me where I repeatedly judged a majority based on a minority. I posted a statistic in response to a query. I didn't say anything about the majority. Unless I'm mistaken, 1/6th is still a minority.

Last edited:
Back