Islam - What's your view on it?

• Thread starter SalmanBH
  • 5,688 comments
I won't even insinuate that it was a divine act. That line of thinking is absurd.
But to those thinking it, it's perfectly reasonable - "my god is taking revenge on the other god's people". It's easy to quantify evil when it's violent, but many Christian fundanentalists aim for the same outcomes as Muslims do, with the difference being non-violence. And because they're not violent, they automatically claim that they are in the right when they're really doing the same thing - like stamping out the influence of an opposing and therefore undesirable religion - by different means.

But to those thinking it, it's perfectly reasonable - "my god is taking revenge on the other god's people". It's easy to quantify evil when it's violent, but many Christian fundanentalists aim for the same outcomes as Muslims do, with the difference being non-violence. And because they're not violent, they automatically claim that they are in the right when they're really doing the same thing - like stamping out the influence of an opposing and therefore undesirable religion - by different means.
Just to clear things up, I don't believe that this is an "Act of God". Those words came from the people from comments section who don't really know what an "Act of God" really is. Their use of the term: Insurance definition. Biblical definition: the Ten Plagues of Egypt...

14 years nearly to the day, a "Act of God" happened in Mecca. Strong winds blew over a crane which crashed on Islam's holiest site, the Grand Mosque. 65 are dead and upwards of 154 are injured through the accident. [Editor's Note: Some reports are claiming that the crane that crashed into the mosque is owned by a firm that is tied to the Bin Laden family.]

http://conservativetribune.com/musl...um=TheFederalistPapers&utm_content=2015-09-12

It's real sad, as it's getting worse around the globe. Birth pangs increasing indeed.
At a crucial time on Gods calendar, it's easy to see who is Truth and who is not.
150 000 people die a day. We are helpless and can only pray for hurting people, and hope they call on Christ.

Still waiting for the mosque in Israel to be removed, as the 3rd Temple cannot be built, and it has to happen.
I'm just so at peace to know that we don't force things to happen. We just watch what the Mighty King told us over 2000 years ago.

Indonesia's Aceh province has introduced Sharia law, although curiously enough they are giving non-Muslims the option of being tried under a different penal code:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...e-enacts-islamic-sharia-criminal-code/6882346
Sounds like a great place to live:odd:.
checkmark.png
Women can't ride on the back of a motorcycle.
checkmark.png
Boys and girls schooled separately by law.
checkmark.png
Get caned for gambling, drinking and PDA's.
checkmark.png
100 lashes if you're gay.
checkmark.png
40 lashes for rape victims.

Don't worry though, it's all to safeguard your dignity. Someone forget to tell them to buy new calenders after 632 A.D.

checkmark.png
checkmark.png
checkmark.png
checkmark.png
checkmark.png

Don't worry though, it's all to safeguard your dignity. Someone forget to tell them to buy new calenders after 632 A.D.
See you don't know what they're going by, They still think that we should go by everything in the Quran. But some things are a Sunnah, meaning we get rewarded for it since the Prophet did it then we do it. They think everything would be Obligatory no matter what.

See you don't know what they're going by, They still think that we should go by everything in the Quran. But some things are a Sunnah, meaning we get rewarded for it since the Prophet did it then we do it. They think everything would be Obligatory no matter what.
Whatever they are going by, it doesn't belong in this century.

checkmark.png
checkmark.png
checkmark.png
checkmark.png
checkmark.png

I didn't say it was a good thing. I just thought it was curious that they would have a two-tier penal code.

I didn't say it was a good thing. I just thought it was curious that they would have a two-tier penal code.

I'm not sure, but I think it's part of Sharia that non-Muslims can opt out if they pay an extra tax. Could be thinking of something different though.

Neither does any other religion that restricts anything from anyone
I don't care what restrictions are imposed on anyone by any religion, so long as people have free choice to participate, in a secular society run by a secular government with a secular constitution.

checkmark.png
checkmark.png
checkmark.png
checkmark.png
checkmark.png

Thank god the madness only constricted on one province. To be fair the "lashes" arent really that full on compared to Saudi counterpart, but still.

Its even enforced to non muslims or visitors there. I almost laughed that at some point on my Their government asked why very little investor wanted to invest there. Well....

I don't care what restrictions are imposed on anyone by any religion, so long as people have free choice to participate, in a secular society run by a secular government with a secular constitution.
The separation of church and state is a purely western phenomena. It only really emerged with the French Revolution, and that was because the people saw the church as being as corrupt as the aristocracy. While Louis was off getting France involved in a series of expensive and protracted wars that France didn't have much business being in in the first place - like the French and Indian War and one of the Prussian wars of succession - the Catholic church was imposing a punitive tithe on the people. So when the first French republic emerged in the aftermath of the Revolution, the government moved to separate church and state.

The one thing that many of these religions had in common during their developmental phases is that they provided moral guidance. If morality is what decided right from wrong in a society absent from the rule of law - and in many cases, even today, the law struggles to keep up with the times - then religion filled that void. For many people, maintaining religious values was extremely important to living a "good" life, and when this happened on a national scale, it started to influence laws as societies began to appreciate the need for some means of maintaining order by earthly means. Outside the western world, religion and law are intrinsically tied together, and so to say "this is wrong" is seen as an attack on religious values.

Sharia law is backwards, but if you look past the specifics and instead consider the concept, what is it? It's people using the teachings of an entity that they consider to be an infallible moral authority as strict guidelines for their everyday lives. Now, consider that clerk in Kentucky who refused to issue a marriage licence to a gay couple. What was her justification? That it went against the Bible. So what was she doing if not using the teachings of an entity that she considered to be an infallible moral authority as a struct guudeline for her everyday life? On that note, there is no truly secular society in the world. Even when there are secular governments with secular constitutions, the role of religion is still enormously influential in governance. Support for or opposition to gay marriage is the obvious issue here; in a truly secular society, gay marriage would be legal, but there are still politicians who invoke religious values as justification for their opposition. So by your logic, nobody is truly free. And it permeates every level of society - I'm watching the Gold Coast 600, and the race starts with a Christian invocation, even though religion plays no role in the sport (except maybe on an individual, personal level).

If you want to bring about change - real, sustainable, pragmatic change - you can't expect to argue "a secular society is the only society worth having" because it's going to be taken as an attack on religious values and inevitably fail. Rather, you have to present it as changing the letter whilst maintaining the spirit: that we have the power to enact our own earthly laws, that they can be true to the divine principles that underpin the idea of infallible moral guidance, and that if there is a divine being, then it trusts us to use our earthly judgement (after all, it gave us that judgement in the first place).

Am I really allowed to voice my view on Islam? Do you want me to?

I disagree with religion in general so to keep it specific to Islam I'll borrow some quotes from the Koran. Firstly I'd like to quote that I have nothing against people as human beings so if I come off in a way that you perceive as hateful it isn't towards Muslims, it's towards Islam as a cult.

I'm aware that the quotes below aren't from the actual Qur'an but I don't know Arabic and these are from a translated Qur'an.

Let's start with Taqiyya - the agenda by which Islam expects its followers to harbour dislike (to put it mildly) and to deceive non-Muslims in the interests of Islam.

Qur'an 3;28
"Let believers not take for friends and allies infidels instead of believers. Whoever does this shall have no relationship left with Allah – unless you but guard yourselves against them, taking precautions."

They don't want to be my friend because I don't believe an illiterate, paedophile warlord's teachings? Based on this am I to disbelieve everything told to me by a Muslim, because it would seem they would be lying to me?

Qur'an 4;34
"Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great."

Hmmm...equality for women seems lacking here. Any teaching which ranks my mother, wife or sister lower than a man just because 'it is said so' has got some serious beef with me. It goes against so much progression that society has made towards gender equality.. primitive would be the correct term to use for this ideology.

Qur'an 65;4
"Such of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the prescribed period, if ye have any doubts, is three months, and for those who have no courses (it is the same): for those who carry (life within their wombs), their period is until they deliver their burdens: and for those who fear Allah, He will make their path easy."

I don't know when girls started menstruating 1400 years ago but these days that is one hell of statutory rape case you've got yourself. 3 months after the start of menstruation (typically 12-13) makes the girl still a child by most modern standards. What is this filth? But, I digress, it's only my opinion that having sex with a 12 year old is wrong.

Qur'an 9;29
"Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Messenger have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection."

Sounds like fighting talk to me. I am to be fought because I don't believe what Islam teaches? How can those claiming Islam is a religion of peace be so naive when the following is stated:

Qur'an 2;191
"And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief or unrest] is worse than killing..."

This from a book that is to be taken literally, as explicitly mentioned by the Prophet Muhammed. It is not open to interpretation.

If I ask my neighbour, a follower of Islam, if he wishes me dead because this is what Allah asks of him, should I believe it when he says "No, of course not!"? Because, referring back to the practice of Taqiyya, it is in the interest of himself and of Islam to claim that he holds no ill feelings towards me.

The Qur'an dictates that Islam must attain complete global dominance and that religion and state are one under Sharia and may not be questioned. Is this not Totalitarianism? Indeed it is.

Islam claims that non-Muslims may not insult Islam. Aren't insults really a person's own subjective take on what is offensive and what isn't? Where is the line drawn? Many will view what I have posted here as insulting when in reality they are just facts and some of my opinions which have never been laid out to be offensive.

Islam, it seems, is at war with everyone who isn't Muslim. The last time a group with the strong belief that they were superior and all others should be killed caused the second world war.

I understand from having read the Qur'an that all earlier verses are to be superseded by later verses when contradictory. Unfortunately the earlier verses were some of the more peaceful ones.

Islam may have once been relevant but is now dated and archaic. The protests of Muslims throughout my homeland for the instalment of Sharia Law and their admittance to ignoring state laws infuriates and offends me. Should I protest Sharia Law I would be called a bigot and no doubt would be targeted for attack as a critic of Islam.

As a critic of Islam, the Qur'an, the Prophet Muhammed and Sharia I am subject to the penalty of death according to the Sharia. Thank Allah for freedom of speech, eh? Oh, and for heavens sake don't leave Islam after joining because apostasy is punishable by death. Wait, is the some kind of prison gang now, blood in - blood out type situation?

So that's my view on Islam - a totalitarian, backwards cult feed by a book of nonsense created by a child-raping, blood thirsty delusional and governed by laws which are based on belief without facts rather than logic and reason.

I'll end with a quote from Lawrence M. Krass:

"Keeping religion immune from criticism is both unwarranted and dangerous"

@W3HS So, when taken to the face value, just like Christianity then?

I wasn't here to compare Islam and Christianity, I was here to offer my view of Islam as somebody who has read the Qur'an and lived in many multicultural societies.

I think Christianity is as much of a sham and even less historically accurate that the Qur'an but at least the new testament's teachings of Jesus are fairly peaceful. While I consider the Bibile to be dangerous in the wrong hands I consider the Qur'an to be even more dangerous even in the hands of people who would otherwise not be dangerous if it wasn't for the views that they hold derived from Qur'anic teachings.

illiterate
And it was at this point that I stopped reading. I might be slightly off on the date, but Islam was founded in the seventh century. Very few people were literate then, so it's kind of hard to call it a criticism.

And it was at this point that I stopped reading. I might be slightly off on the date, but Islam was founded in the seventh century. Very few people were literate then, so it's kind of hard to call it a criticism.
Don't see it as criticism, but as merely an observation. Please continue reading. It's a pretty good read.

It's not a criticism, it's a fact that points towards the likely lack of education of the Prophet Muhammed.
Again, almost everyone was illiterate then. It wasn't until the invention of the printing press that "literacy" became a thing.

I don't know when girls started menstruating 1400 years ago but these days that is one hell of statutory rape case you've got yourself. 3 months after the start of menstruation (typically 12-13) makes the girl still a child by most modern standards. What is this filth? But, I digress, it's only my opinion that having sex with a 12 year old is wrong.

That's not a convention peculiar to Islam though. Even in Britain it wasn't unusual for people to be married at around 8 or nine. That would mean they still had twenty years of life to enjoy their marriage.

That's not a convention peculiar to Islam though. Even in Britain it wasn't unusual for people to be married at around 8 or nine. That would mean they still had twenty years of life to enjoy their marriage.

indeed. It's a practice which still exists throughout the world in certain places, exercised by more than just Islam. It doesn't make it right by modern, civilized standards and has no place in the modern, civilized world but the implementation of Sharia could make this practise more common.

Back