JGTC S3 Round 1 Race + Results

KLR142
Well, I don't know what to say, other than I couldn't seem to make the tires last much longer than when fully pushing it, maybe one lap more when taking it easy...

What was your tire strategy for this race? Oh, and gearing actually? I ended up using 320 I think for both the race and the qualifying... It just had better shift points for me than the 250 or 260 gearing that I was originally using. If I could shift with the steering straight enough, I probably would've been faster with the other gearing, but I just got hooked on the 320 and went with it.

I know that by not pusing it I went from 6 to 7 laps on RS, and from 9 to 10 and even 11 laps on RM if I wanted (GT500). However, I had to consciously try to be about a half a second slower per lap or so to manage. Mainly not abusing the tires at the sweeper and leading under the bridge.

Made the difference in the race since it was CRITICAL for me to do a 7 and 10s.

OTOH, when pushing I could only get down to 1'03.8 and conserving for 7 laps I got a 1'04.3 whreas fasj managed 7 laps AND a 1'03.6 plus the win by 20 seconds. That Z must be good on tires.

I KNEW I should have swiped that car when I had the chance! :^)

I ran 7/10/10/10/10 too, whereas fasj ran 10/10/10/10/7 so he could push hard for a fast lap at the end, but that COULD bite you by causing an off or crash and ruining a race. I chose to go fast early to pass the AI and get a good standing start, then cruise to finish.

With the longer track this week, you won't be able to nurse orange tires for that extra lap... Interesting!

-SHig

:scared: :crazy: :ouch: I think (no i know) the NXS's are underpowered compared to the field (2/3 clicks). I drove my arse off trying to get a good time and still am over 1'30.xxx seconds behind the leader and it was an almost clean race, only about 20 seconds left max in a perfect race. My best time was a 1'05.0xx where my qualified time was a 1'04.7xx, most of the times are in the low 1'04's and high 1'03's and that is race times:ill:. Tried different tire comboes for racing but found out that softer tires actually cost me time instead of helping me, to many pits and only about a second diff. in times.

pitting Rs/Rm 1/6 7/12 then ran Rm/Rh 20/29/38/47
Tires would only last 6 on the softs and 9 on the mediums, hards were just too slow to even use.

On one run used softs all the way but was 20 seconds slower due to too many pits:yuck:

Oh well - Congrats to the podium finishers :cheers:

DRIVEN -USA-
:scared: :crazy: :ouch: I think (no i know) the NXS's are underpowered compared to the field (2/3 clicks). I drove my arse off trying to get a good time and still am over 1'30.xxx seconds behind the leader and it was an almost clean race, only about 20 seconds left max in a perfect race. My best time was a 1'05.0xx where my qualified time was a 1'04.7xx, most of the times are in the low 1'04's and high 1'03's and that is race times:ill:. Tried different tire comboes for racing but found out that softer tires actually cost me time instead of helping me, to many pits and only about a second diff. in times.

pitting Rs/Rm 1/6 7/12 then ran Rm/Rh 20/29/38/47
Tires would only last 6 on the softs and 9 on the mediums, hards were just too slow to even use.

On one run used softs all the way but was 20 seconds slower due to too many pits:yuck:

Oh well - Congrats to the podium finishers :cheers:

I'll definitely agree that the NSXes were the slowest of the bunch in my testing prior to the season. They did well on tire wear, but their outright speed sucked! It sucks to have to wait for the weight/power equalization to kick in to be competitive, but it may be a while based on the speed of the Nissans and Toyotas (you too Casio).

I'd be okay with giving the Honda guys a bit more power.

-SHig

Wow, what a fantastic start in the season that is! I absolutely didn't expect this at all. Pole and the Win, I feel a little like MSC, lol. :sly:

The Subby does fit my driving style pretty good, I believe. I ran 10/10/10/10 on RM/RS and RS/RS for the last 7 laps to be able to push the hardest at the end on soft's with an empty tank. Ev4l ran a little too conservative and pitted on yellow tires what cost him another stop and the win, imo. I lost about 1 - 1.5 sec on red tires before every stop. The 22 sec gap plus around 6 sec I lost on worn tires should have made it very close at the end. Well, I wont be a contender for the win in R2, with my 55kg extra weight now. Congrats to the rest of the podium finishers.

Free beer for everybody

SHigSpeed
I'll definitely agree that the NSXes were the slowest of the bunch in my testing prior to the season. They did well on tire wear, but their outright speed sucked! It sucks to have to wait for the weight/power equalization to kick in to be competitive, but it may be a while based on the speed of the Nissans and Toyotas (you too Casio).

I'd be okay with giving the Honda guys a bit more power.

-SHig

I think the main reasons that Fasj and I didn't give the NSXs more power, was because of their straight line speed and tyre wear.

In my testing at Super-Speedway, the NSXs topped the time sheets, all three of them. The 03 hit 195mph or something scary, while most of the others were in the 170s.

On Fasj's side, I believe he said the NSXs are very good on tyres and have even tyre wear.

I think it's a bit hasty to go changing power already. At least wait to R2, where we've got a completely different track to midfield.

Casio
I think the main reasons that Fasj and I didn't give the NSXs more power, was because of their straight line speed and tyre wear.

In my testing at Super-Speedway, the NSXs topped the time sheets, all three of them. The 03 hit 195mph or something scary, while most of the others were in the 170s.

On Fasj's side, I believe he said the NSXs are very good on tyres and have even tyre wear.

I think it's a bit hasty to go changing power already. At least wait to R2, where we've got a completely different track to midfield.

Okay, then they'll come into their own at Fuji 2005 and at Tokyo 246 by which time they'll be so far behind... But why am I arguing for the competition? :^)

I tested all cars A-spec and B-spec personally at GVEast, and I agree that the NSXen seemed to have good speed at the end of the straights, but the overall times sucked for me. I did like that they seemed to have rear biased wear which allowed you to drive hard into corners especially while braking, but it didn't make up for the apparent lack of overall pace FOR ME AND MY DRIVING STYLE. When you tested at SS, did you optimize the top speed for all cars or did you use the same top speeds? Of the two NSXen that did race, they used a 4 and 5 pit strategy, same if not more stops than the top two drivers in cars that should have worse tire wear. Perhaps they were pushing too hard for the cars and burned off speed and wasted their tires. Who knows. All I know is that based on qualification where the bottom three cars who qualified on RSS tires were NSXen and the one NSX that ran a 5 stop strategy had a fastest lap a half a second slower than the next slowest 5 stopper. I don't know how many hours Jerome ran to qualify, but his 11th place qual in the "best" NSX sure seems out of character.

Hey appie, DRIVEN, what do you guys think? What tire strategies did you guys use? Do you think that you put everything into your races, or did you leave a minute on the track?

-SHig

SHigSpeed
Heh... Alonso? If so, fasj was BLOCKING the entire second half of the race like at Monza! :^) I had a great, consistent race.
I assume you mean Imola, and that's racing mate. Just having the fastest car does not a champion make :)

ZeratulSG
I assume you mean Imola, and that's racing mate. Just having the fastest car does not a champion make :)
:dunce: :dunce:

Of course... All them Eye-talian tracks are the same, right! :sly:

-SHig

Back