Lack of details in background trees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares about trees seriously ? You should be looking less at the trees and focus more on the track. :D

:lol: Nah, i mean, i would also like to see better trees (better is always... well... better), but i dont quite get this thread. As long as the game is the best looking racing game overall i dont care.

For some reason this thread reminds of that Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode about those idiotic trees that summon the Aqua Teens to Tree Court.

It was a really funny episode.

trees?

you've have to be kidding me? the trees of prologue not good enough for you.

I suggest you try this game if you want trees..

blog-afrika.jpg

THAT GAME AINT GOT **** ON THIS GAME's TREES SON!!!

makeThumb.php

So, you all want GT to go back to people fences, cardboard trees and horrible backgrounds? This is an important topic, so all of you people criticizing it stop.

:lol: Nah, i mean, i would also like to see better trees (better is always... well... better), but i dont quite get this thread. As long as the game is the best looking racing game overall i dont care.
Yeah best looking racinggame (which is true), but at the same time with the ****tiest trees in a racing game, which is also true (at least in this gen.).
I think some people are just finical like me and the guy, who started this thread (off topic but I have to post this: finical also means anal xDDDDDDDD-here the link: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=wlqAU.&search=pingelig). And besides, as already mentioned, the ps3 should be able to handle some type of 3D-trees without loosing too much resources.

How many of you feel that the trees in GT series looks so crappy? Come on PD it's been how many version now of GT? You still haven't got the trees detail down yet. It looks so fake, especially the evergreen trees. You don't get to see details of each leaves. They are just too 2D-ish looking. If you compare the details of trees to Colin Mcrae Dirt series, it's got a massive amount of details on it. So who's with me on this?

I was driving in GT5Prologue 150 MPH and I said to myself. "Oh man look at the tree!"

Comon man lets get serious...

Who cares about some 3-D leafs. GT5Prologue POWNS DIRT in Graphics wise anyways. GT5 aims for realism picture graphics, while DIRT aims for Flashy graphics

I am tired of everyone complaing that GT5P has DULL looking environments.. well got to a real race track and you will find yourself that real life race tracks are pretty dull looking.

I had a press conference with Yamauchi about this topic. Here's his response:

YAMAUCHI: We're sitting here...I'm supposed to be the franchise developer, and we're talking about branches,man...Not a game, not a game, not a game...we talkin' bout BRANCHES!!! How the hell can I make Gran Turismo better by branches??? Not a game that I go out there and die for, and make every game like it's my last one...but we're talking about branches man. I mean how silly is that, that we talkin bout branches? An I'm not shoving it aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about BRANCHES man...What are we talkin bout??

I actually think he's making a valid point. I mean, yes, there are more important things to worry about but trees are important to track scenery.

Here's a photo of the Nurburgring from the GT5 E3 trailer. The trees aren't very detailed, which is a bit disappointing. They call it the Green Hell for a reason.
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1780947d.jpg

Here's a photo from Forza 3. Trees that are closer to the player are rendered in higher quality than those farther away. We've talked about Forza's varying levels of detail on the forums for a long time now. It doesn't just apply to cars though. This is definitely something Polyphony should consider.
http://cdn.forzamotorsport.net/uplo...Screenshots/FM3_E3_Montserrat_2(2).jpg?n=6962

Just to show that I'm not trying to start a Forza vs. GT argument, here's a photo from NFS: Shift. Sorry about the lack of focus, it was the best I could find.
http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/1758/highrez_murcielago_04.jpg

You have to love how people have messed up priorties. Perhaps you should concentrate on why forza 3 cannot render more than 8 cars on the track.

And shift should try hitting 60 fps first.

Trees are a notoriously difficult balance to get right, in something like GT5 adding full detailed trees would kill the game you would have trees that would start out being the same poly count as the cars then you would have to clean them up and reduce the poly count to make them run in the game but then they would look terrible and still only be half the poly count as before, even for pre-rendered visulizations they use the billboard trees because the full detailed trees take far too long to render

Wow... those trees in Shift don't look right. They look more like tall shrubs. Anyway, as most of the posters have said, I'm more than happy with the trackside graphics of GT5 Prologue as it stands now. If Kaz and his team can get GT5 looking like the E3 trailer with things like weather and daytime changes going on, then wunderbar. If not... wunderbar still! :lol:

IMO, it's never been GT's goal to be the best looking game - it's always been a bonus. The driving simulation is what it is. (Not racing - I said driving.)

The trees are fine. Moving on.

Haven't you considered what the case of "better trees" would be on The Nurburgring, which has quite a high number of trees? Disaster. I have no problem with the cross-plane technique if the detail is there.

If you want to see hideous graphics, just fire up any PC racing sim.

How can you be racing, and looking at scenery? If you want scenery go watch Planet Earth on blu-ray!

"OMG this game is total ********, I spun out on the carousel in Nordaschliefe because the trees were rendered poorly!"

Sarcasm aside, I'm sure PD will improve miscellaneous foliage graphics to a good level where it won't be an issue.

Dont you guys ever look at the replays in GT games? The obvious lack of details in the trees are very much apparent there.

I sure some of us look at replays but when it comes to the trees, most of us DON'T CARE.

Polyphony should haved used speedtree like PGR, but i guess the reason the trees look crap is because the PS3 isn't capable to pull off better ones with everything else going on, PD wouldn't settle for poor quality unless they HADto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back