Lack of details in background trees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you should upload some of your driving...so everyone can have a good laugh. :crazy:

But Ontopic...PD can consider theirselves happy, if those "small" things is all what people are concerned about.

indeed. if all people can complain abouty is friggin trees then PD has nailed everything.

Who cares what the trees look like, all you have to do is concentrate on driving & racing well & not look at the trees. your not racing trees.

I have a question as well. Why are those bales of hay so undetailed? I mean come on, I should be able to see individual parts of the straw that makes up the hay. I should be able to taste it through my television. I am so disappointed.

I think you guys are being too harsh on the OP. We all talk about how amazing GT's graphics are, but the trees definitely are noticeable. Sure, you don't drive around staring at the them instead of the track, but you do notice background objects and scenery, and seeing 2D trees in an otherwise near perfect environment does take you out of the experience a little.

I think you guys are being too harsh on the OP. We all talk about how amazing GT's graphics are, but the trees definitely are noticeable. Sure, you don't drive around staring at the them instead of the track, but you do notice background objects and scenery, and seeing 2D trees in an otherwise near perfect environment does take you out of the experience a little.

the OP does not get it and neither do you as well. The trees in prologue are good enough. And the ps3 is rendering everything to the limit. So you have to ask yourself, do you consider the racing aspect important or the trees?Do you want for instance lower polygon cars to get your perfect trees?

The cars are centre of attraction in GT. Not trees. I will be damned if i play a game where PD gave more emphasis to the trees rather than the cars themselves. Like i said earlier, there are other games out there if you need jaw dropping trees.

Last edited:
the OP does not get it and neither do you as well. The trees in prologue are good enough. And the ps3 is rendering everything to the limit. So you have to ask yourself, do you consider the racing aspect important or the trees?Do you want for instance lower polygon cars to get your perfect trees?

The cars are centre of attraction in GT. Not trees. I will be damned if i play a game where PD gave more emphasis to the trees rather than the cars themselves. Like i said earlier, there are other games out there if you need jaw dropping trees.

Well said, quit moaning about bloody trees, I mean, the plants even move on the eiger track, incase the OP hadn't noticed, like I said before, I often stop and take a few cuttings back to the start line so I can throw them infront of my F40 and do burnouts on them....

I have a question as well. Why are those bales of hay so undetailed? I mean come on, I should be able to see individual parts of the straw that makes up the hay. I should be able to taste it through my television. I am so disappointed.

Same here. A bale of straw just isn't a bale of straw until you can see each individual stalk, in detail, whilst racing past at 100mph+.

I crash a lot as it troubles me so...

Trees? Really? What were your reactions when you saw that the grass moved in GT5:P?

can-you-find-the-humerus.jpg

+1000 for this 👍

Last edited by Rand al Thor; Today at 3:49 PM.

- 10000000000 for that

+1000 for this 👍

Last edited by Rand al Thor; Today at 3:49 PM.

- 10000000000 for that

Gran Turismo.

The real Driving simulator :dunce:

just name one racing game that has uber, trees. i not seen a racing game that does not have fairly basic indications of trees that will look tree like enough when you are driving full out around a corner or down a straight. now when you get to replays yea that is when you can nitpick the details of any game.

just like rfactor the tracks and backgrounds look horrible on replay. but on the nurburgring tourist track in rfactor in the enzo i never notice any of it when i am actually driving around it, too many other things to focus on when you got no driving aids turned on.

just name one racing game that has uber, trees. i not seen a racing game that does not have fairly basic indications of trees that will look tree like enough when you are driving full out around a corner or down a straight. now when you get to replays yea that is when you can nitpick the details of any game.

just like rfactor the tracks and backgrounds look horrible on replay. but on the nurburgring tourist track in rfactor in the enzo i never notice any of it when i am actually driving around it, too many other things to focus on when you got no driving aids turned on.

Motorstorm PR has nice looking trees to sate our tree loving friends.

Well, ya know, I poked at a few wishlists, and I have yet to see an entry like
  • Jaw dropping realistic trees.
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that superawesome foliage should be last on the list, when we want race mod and livery editing, working trackside displays, weather, damage, headlight beams and day/night changes... just sayin'.

These, trees... that you-are-talking-about...for-example...these...background-trees...make Deep Forest...more-of-a-forest. And I'm...talking-like-William-Shatner.eh

I can't believe this topic is still going.

Lol same, you would have thought these people would have seen sense, it's not that the OP is not telling the truth, but that trees is way down on the agenda when it comes to whats important, This thread seems to claim it's only the trees letting GT5s graphics down, but the truth is, it isn't. Hell we've still got tire walls made out of hexagons that are fixed and none reacting, we still don't have dirt build up on the windshield and track, like PGR3 even had, we still have poor cockpit shadows and the aliasing needs to be reduced. These are just a few examples of graphical features that are still subpar, let alone physical and gameplay features. So to be honest i couldn't give a flying:censored: about trees.

Many of you guys are saying that only the physics are important, nothing else matters. Fine. Other aspects of the game can be ignored because hey, Gran Turismo is the real driving simulator. Why not just recycle the graphics, artwork, sound clips, music, and menu interface from the first GT and use them in GT5? Give it the production values of a PS1 game from 1998. Nobody will care as long as the physics are realistic.

Look, I'm not saying that trees are an important part of any game. But you can't just use the age-old excuse of "anything outside of driving doesn't matter in a driving game." Every minute detail is part of the experience. If you want to create a realistic world, then each constituent part of that world must be realistic as well. Yes, nobody playing GT5 who isn't bored or lazy just spends their time staring at trees. But if they were poorly rendered or generally looked like crap, I guarantee the majority of you would notice.

I'm also not saying that GT5's trees look bad either. And I would much rather PD spend their time working on the physics, adding cars, tracks, night racing, damage, a deep career mode, and a larger field to race against. It just really gets me ticked off when I hear people say that the racing is the only thing that matters in a racing game. One of the reasons I play more Gran Turismo than any other driving sim is because of its presentation.

Many of you guys are saying that only the physics are important, nothing else matters. Fine. Other aspects of the game can be ignored because hey, Gran Turismo is the real driving simulator. Why not just recycle the graphics, artwork, sound clips, music, and menu interface from the first GT and use them in GT5? Give it the production values of a PS1 game from 1998. Nobody will care as long as the physics are realistic.

Look, I'm not saying that trees are an important part of any game. But you can't just use the age-old excuse of "anything outside of driving doesn't matter in a driving game." Every minute detail is part of the experience. If you want to create a realistic world, then each constituent part of that world must be realistic as well. Yes, nobody playing GT5 who isn't bored or lazy just spends their time staring at trees. But if they were poorly rendered or generally looked like crap, I guarantee the majority of you would notice.

I'm also not saying that GT5's trees look bad either. And I would much rather PD spend their time working on the physics, adding cars, tracks, night racing, damage, a deep career mode, and a larger field to race against. It just really gets me ticked off when I hear people say that the racing is the only thing that matters in a racing game. One of the reasons I play more Gran Turismo than any other driving sim is because of its presentation.

Agreed. 👍

And on that bombshell it's time to end the thread.

As a programmer you want to have the lowest median overhead for a given constant, such as a track.

Lets say the Nurburgring as it is takes 30mb of the video GDDR ram and Tsukuba takes up 15mb. Of the 256mb video ram, you only have 226mb left (and minus the frambuffer about 200mb) for everything else, because Nurburgring takes 30mb. Even when racing on Tsukuba you would only program for 226mb(200mb). Now if the trees fidelity were upgraded, this would have much effect on Nurburgring but little to no effect on Tsukuba. So now, with better trees, Nurburgring uses up lets say....45mb but Tsukuba still only takes up 15mb. This would mean when racing on Tsukuba 30mb would be unutilised. The different ram consumption between the largest and smallest tracks need to kept to a minimum. An easy way to do this is to keep the 2D trees.

It is no coincidence that the wet track in GT4 was Tsukuba.
initiate james may voice in your head, Let james may explain this to you. Thank you james may....i learned to much.

As a programmer you want to have the lowest median overhead for a given constant, such as a track.

Lets say the Nurburgring as it is takes 30mb of the video GDDR ram and Tsukuba takes up 15mb. Of the 256mb video ram, you only have 226mb left (and minus the frambuffer about 200mb) for everything else, because Nurburgring takes 30mb. Even when racing on Tsukuba you would only program for 226mb(200mb). Now if the trees fidelity were upgraded, this would have much effect on Nurburgring but little to no effect on Tsukuba. So now, with better trees, Nurburgring uses up lets say....45mb but Tsukuba still only takes up 15mb. This would mean when racing on Tsukuba 30mb would be unutilised. The different ram consumption between the largest and smallest tracks need to kept to a minimum. An easy way to do this is to keep the 2D trees.

It is no coincidence that the wet track in GT4 was Tsukuba.

When racing the Nurb, wouldn't the information held in video RAM need to be swapped out more often, rather than simply taking more space in the video ram? If the PS3 only has 256mb of video RAM and we now see PC games using well over 512mb (some of which are console ports anyway), wouldn't it have to be swapping pretty much constantly to display ANY track at a decent texture quality, let alone the Nurburgring?

Oh my god, and it continues...

Just let this thread die..

What's next?

Why the back seat or the drivers head does not show up in the rear view mirror?

You posted 1 post before me, hypocrit much?

If you want a thread to die, stop posting in it.

Do not try to use big words if you can not spell them correctly, or are to lazy to right click on the word underlined in red and click on the right word.

I may have posted in the thread that i said "just let it die" But I'm just being dramatic :sly: and following the sane crowd, You know, the people who think a "Tree thread" in a racing game is ridiculous.

"oh man, this Ferrari FFX is awesome it's so fast and i have been waiting so long to play this game. But what's that??? oh its a 2d tree :grumpy:....."

...."Oh Damn..that tree just look's so awful, ...the leaves look pasted on by a set preschool kids and the branch and trunk is so smooth and plain looking, no holes or little bugs or chips...Meh... time to pick another track... :dunce: "

This is what you might be looking for. http://www.treeworld.info/ 👍

If PD spent a lot of time and effort on the little things, it shows there commitment to making the GT series the best on offer

^ Point made, but I'm sure it'll be ok, GT5 should have its fair share of eco cars, so the tree's will once again blossum.

If PD spent a lot of time and effort on the little things, it shows there commitment to making the GT series the best on offer
Things like Writing little bulb descriptive letters on the Outter rim of a projector beam headlight? I would really think that's enough detail......But i guess, you can never have enough detail.

Do not try to use big words if you can not spell them correctly, or are to lazy to right click on the word underlined in red and click on the right word.
Oh geeze, I'm so sorry, my lack of spelling ability and lack of spell checker in IE8 must completely destroy my argument. HYPOCRITE. Happy now?

How many people screw up words like there, their, they're, were, where, etc. Perhaps they should just give up and stop communicating.

I may have posted in the thread that i said "just let it die" But I'm just being dramatic :sly: and following the sane crowd, You know, the people who think a "Tree thread" in a racing game is ridiculous.

The "sane" crowd seems more like the "***hole" crowd to me. This was a perfectly valid thread, pointing out an area that needs work.

"oh man, this Ferrari FFX is awesome it's so fast and i have been waiting so long to play this game. But what's that??? oh its a 2d tree :grumpy:....."

...."Oh Damn..that tree just look's so awful, ...the leaves look pasted on by a set preschool kids and the branch and trunk is so smooth and plain looking, no holes or little bugs or chips...Meh... time to pick another track... :dunce: "

No one ever implied tree graphics were more important than car models. But environment graphics ARE important, it just happens to be, despite amazing car models, GT5P have noticably "average" environments.

You could have let this thread die, you chose to post in it again. I never understand why people think their sarcasm and lack of respect is a worthy addition to a thread.

EDIT:
Things like Writing little bulb descriptive letters on the Outter rim of a projector beam headlight? I would really think that's enough detail......But i guess, you can never have enough detail.

At least tree details are something you'll actually notice... very few people will ever notice writing in a headlight.

I actually think he's making a valid point. I mean, yes, there are more important things to worry about but trees are important to track scenery.

Here's a photo of the Nurburgring from the GT5 E3 trailer. The trees aren't very detailed, which is a bit disappointing. They call it the Green Hell for a reason.
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1780947d.jpg

Here's a photo from Forza 3. Trees that are closer to the player are rendered in higher quality than those farther away. We've talked about Forza's varying levels of detail on the forums for a long time now. It doesn't just apply to cars though. This is definitely something Polyphony should consider.
http://cdn.forzamotorsport.net/uplo...Screenshots/FM3_E3_Montserrat_2(2).jpg?n=6962

Just to show that I'm not trying to start a Forza vs. GT argument, here's a photo from NFS: Shift. Sorry about the lack of focus, it was the best I could find.
http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/1758/highrez_murcielago_04.jpg

Maybe if the other Racing Sim Games focused on physics rather than trees they would be selling more games....LOL this is HILARIOUS!!!! I can't see why the photo of the GT5p replay is that bad to really whine about....mannn, get a life! Oh! yeah the third photo of your trees they were so busy making the perfect tree they forgot to render the shadow's for them!!!!! Hahahaha!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back