Lack of details in background trees

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going to call it Suzu.

In my defense, my PS3 passed away tonight, so I had no way of checking the game for the correct spelling.

Suzuka is a well known international circuit, no need to check GT5 for spelling :P

Sorry to hear about the PS3. :(

[youtubehd]zGcQooF6tIc[/youtubehd]

Love how you can't see how detailed the trees are because you're too busy going fast. Again, pathetic topic (in my opinion) dealing with something that has nothing important or vital to do with gameplay.

My two cents would simply be to point out that PD hasn't made any real improvement at all since GT4. The most noticeable tree problems to me are on Suzuki, which is nothing more than the GT4 version with better textures. That's it.. not one extra polygon.

So yes... there's room for improvement.
What else were you expecting? A complete rebuild of everything in the game. Isnt high res textures better than nothing. Its better than PD updating the car graphics and menus and then leave the rest. Some of you guys are just way too fussy for your own good.

The following s not directed at you solely Jedi2016

I dont stop the car on the track just to look at how well or bad textures are nor do I sit close to my TV just to measure the cars dimensions in comparison to the real car just like a loser with no life who still lives with their mother because I am afraid of the real world.

I live alone away from my parents in my own house , I dont care if the textures were updated instead of the whole track was rebuilt just for GT5 and I dont care if the car is exactly the same in dimensions , feel or sound (Though sound is kind of important) like the real thing. Because I have some kind of life and I dont waste all my time in front of my PS3.

Be happy with what you got and get a life. You are only playing GT5 PROLOGUE which isnt the finished game and GT5 might have better trees and tracks just for you guys.

Just because its on a PS3 PD dont owe you damage , weather , private rooms and all that other stuff that you DEMAND like a spoilt kid. Ive been playing GT since GT1 and I dont care if we dont get all this stuff you guys think PD owes you just because other racing games have it or because its on the PS3. I will be happy with what I get in GT5.

Last edited:
What else were you expecting? A complete rebuild of everything in the game. Isnt high res textures better than nothing. Its better than PD updating the car graphics and menus and then leave the rest. Some of you guys are just way too fussy for your own good.

The following s not directed at you solely Jedi2016

I dont stop the car on the track just to look at how well or bad textures are nor do I sit close to my TV just to measure the cars dimensions in comparison to the real car just like a loser with no life who still lives with their mother because I am afraid of the real world.

I live alone away from my parents in my own house , I dont care if the textures were updated instead of the whole track was rebuilt just for GT5 and I dont care if the car is exactly the same in dimensions , feel or sound (Though sound is kind of important) like the real thing. Because I have some kind of life and I dont waste all my time in front of my PS3.

Be happy with what you got and get a life. You are only playing GT5 PROLOGUE which isnt the finished game and GT5 might have better trees and tracks just for you guys.

Just because its on a PS3 PD dont owe you damage , weather , private rooms and all that other stuff that you DEMAND like a spoilt kid. Ive been playing GT since GT1 and I dont care if we dont get all this stuff you guys think PD owes you just because other racing games have it or because its on the PS3. I will be happy with what I get in GT5.

Im not sure I totally agree with what you say here. Sure, PD dont owe us anything and when GT5 FINALLY arrives im sure we will all love it and make do with what is or is not included.

I think the problem alot of ppl have is that we dont actually have a game to play yet. My flatmate has an xbox and we often compare Forza to GT. The conversation often goes like this:

"In Forza you can do x, y and z."

"Cool, yeah in GT5 you WILL be able to do x, y and z...I think, though they havent really confirmed it yet".

"What do you think of Silverstone, hey check it out in Forza."

"Cool, that looks nice, I have Silverstone in F1 Championship but dont know if its gonna be in GT5"

"Im gonna go and buy Forza 3"

"Cool, im gonna buy a PSP so I can then buy GT so I can see what I may be getting when I can eventually buy GT5, when it comes out, which we still dont really know when yet"

Etc.

Im tired of talking about the game that will one day be real. So yeah, PD dont owe us anything, except a game. A game that they have been taking the p*ss about for the last 2 years. A game that when released must be the most perfect thing ever created, because they are spending so long insisting that it be the most perfect thing ever created.

So the trees had better be damn good!

How many of you feel that the trees in GT series looks so crappy? Come on PD it's been how many version now of GT? You still haven't got the trees detail down yet. It looks so fake, especially the evergreen trees. You don't get to see details of each leaves. They are just too 2D-ish looking. If you compare the details of trees to Colin Mcrae Dirt series, it's got a massive amount of details on it. So who's with me on this?
Really? Trees? The graphics are better in every way compared to any other games I've seen, so what games trees do you like? I like the trees in SOCOM. Yeah!:lol:
I'm glad they're more focused on important things.

You guys want trees?

Well then prepare to kill yourself alot.

This is what happens when trees get involved.

Damn trees.

My two cents would simply be to point out that PD hasn't made any real improvement at all since GT4. The most noticeable tree problems to me are on Suzuki, which is nothing more than the GT4 version with better textures. That's it.. not one extra polygon.
I thought there were 600 more per inch? I don't know, I can't watch trees while I race, maybe they should have a "Fan" version of the game for guys who want to view the trees. You could sit in the grandstands, order beers, soda, hot dogs, and watch me play GT5 Online! Maybe you could walk around Le Sarthe, and view all those trees, or better yet, the Nurburgring! Lotta good trees there, and in Germany, prostitutions legal!:lol:💡

So yes... there's room for improvement.
I do hope this is sarcasm...

You guys want trees?

Well then prepare to kill yourself alot.

This is what happens when trees get involved.

Damn trees.
The driver actually survived this though - remember this story going round.

Pardon My language but, **** the trees! Racing happens on the TRACK so, if anything, we should be discussing more detail on the TRACK like dirt and rubber not something over the tirewall, past the stands or anything thats not in your main line of sight (which should be the TRACK). Of course this is all just my view and i expect everybody's views to differ. All i know is I've never missed an apex because a tree looked too low poly.

I'm sure after the shiny cars, cockpits, track, buildings the trees will have what's left of the processing power to render/draw them.

If the guys at PD can provide them (trees) with some more processing power to make them a little more realistic them I'm sure they will do that.

If they can make them look better then it will improve how realistic the game looks - as thats what's the main objective of the game to make it look and feel as realistic as possible driving a car in the comfort of your own home.

if they can't manage to squeeze some more firepower from the PS3 to make them look nicer then they can't - case closed; everybody move on.

Why is this thread 9 pages long - if they can make the trees better without sacrificing the more important things in the game then they will.

Pardon My language but, **** the trees! Racing happens on the TRACK so, if anything, we should be discussing more detail on the TRACK like dirt and rubber not something over the tirewall, past the stands or anything thats not in your main line of sight (which should be the TRACK). Of course this is all just my view and i expect everybody's views to differ. All i know is I've never missed an apex because a tree looked too low poly.

Don't forget: today's games are all about detail. What with the standard of today's graphics in other games, GT5 needs to be detailed. And what with it being a racing simulator, then you really have to put your mind to graphics.

Agree.. tire shreads and stones and dirt is way more important than stupid trees...

Aside from the all racing on track part since there is Rally, basically sums up my opinion right there 👍

I thought there were 600 more per inch? I don't know, I can't watch trees while I race, maybe they should have a "Fan" version of the game for guys who want to view the trees. You could sit in the grandstands, order beers, soda, hot dogs, and watch me play GT5 Online! Maybe you could walk around Le Sarthe, and view all those trees, or better yet, the Nurburgring! Lotta good trees there, and in Germany, prostitutions legal!:lol:💡

:dopey: Quick, to the batmobile! :mischievous:

The trees in GT are fine the way they are.

That being said, I think they could improve them. Currently, each tree consists of two 2D textures that cross each other. What they should do is make them 4 2D textures crossing each other. I doubt it'd put much hurt on the framerate.

When racing the Nurb, wouldn't the information held in video RAM need to be swapped out more often, rather than simply taking more space in the video ram? If the PS3 only has 256mb of video RAM and we now see PC games using well over 512mb (some of which are console ports anyway), wouldn't it have to be swapping pretty much constantly to display ANY track at a decent texture quality, let alone the Nurburgring?

Yes it does swap out but the draw distance has to be far greater on Nurburgring.

The PS3 may only have 256mb, well 512 total system and graphics, but people forget that the XDR ram is much faster, with a lower latency than PC ram.

As for the main topic at hand, this thread needs to be felled. Call in the lumberjacks.

LMAO, wow I didn't think that this topic would go anywhere. Let me rephrase what's i've said. I been a fan of GT series eversince day one. Graphic and physic of the game is what got me to kept on playing this game. While playing other racing games with more indept detail of the racing environment, so there one thing I came to realized is that the trees do sucks. Compared to other games. I'm not just comparing it to the racing game in general. I just got into PC gameing and I was amazed on how you can change the different in gaming graphic details. Let's take Crysis for example, the trees, grass rocks etc look superb. That's what i want PD to really focus on, is detail in the environmental too, not just the cars itself. Woo look how many cars we have in this game. I was quite dissapointed when I first saw the screen shots GT5 version. How it was just a minor upgrade on the tracks itself look. I was expected an Aww, jaw dropping tracks detail and trees just happen to threw it off. here what I mean.

look at these links
gran-turismo-5-prologue-screens-20080320043734945.jpg

dirt_demo_1.jpg

Those are just the example

Remember Eiger is one of the new tracks, doubt PD did really polish it. I find suzuka trees to be much more real.

I got a solution about the trees:
Can we just race in the desert or cut them all, there will be no trees and therefore no threads about the lack of detail in the background trees.

Oh yeah and one more thing, what is the difference between the trees in the two pictures above? Sorry I don't get it.

Overall GT5P still looks way better than DiRT, DiRT runs at a smaller resolution with only half the framerate and MAXIMUM 8 cars on track.

EDIT: And could you please uploade these pics as attachments?

Overall GT5P still looks way better than DiRT, DiRT runs at a smaller resolution with only half the framerate and MAXIMUM 8 cars on track.

EDIT: And could you please uploade these pics as attachments?

Why?

You can only upload 100KB on GTPlanet, not nearly enough for a big image.

Than post a link instead of that?
I use 1920x1200 as screen resolution and i still find it annoying.

I got a solution about the trees:
Can we just race in the desert or cut them all, there will be no trees and therefore no threads about the lack of detail in the background trees.

Oh yeah and one more thing, what is the difference between the trees in the two pictures above? Sorry I don't get it.

Wow you really can't tell the different between the trees in the two pictures? Somebody needs to get their eyes check out :). Notice the flat two piece trees in the top pic? and notice the trees in the bottom one. The bottom one, shows many branches sticking out in different direction.

Look at what I mean.

Trees.jpg

Sorry to offend anyone, I'm just expressing what my artistic eyes can see. I'm speaking from an artist side of view. To me the only thing I see that is better than any racing games out there for GT is... the attention in car detailing.

To me it's like walking along the street and see some fine @zz girl walking with one freakin ugly @zz guys and you're like woah. What was she thinking? U know what I mean. In this case, If you gonna make your cars look way better than the tracks itself look than, I see no point in pushing more poly into cars modeling. Like I said before when I first saw screen shots of the cars that will be available in GT5, I was jaw dropping. But when I start looking at the details in the tracks itself, I wasn't very impressed. Sorry PD wish you could cut the cars list in a half so you guys can work on pushing more details in the tracks itself.

. I was quite dissapointed when I first saw the screen shots GT5 version. How it was just a minor upgrade on the tracks itself look. I was expected an Aww, jaw dropping tracks detail and trees just happen to threw it off. here what I mean.

Those are just the example

Dude theres more than just a minor upgrade in the tracks. You realy need to get out more instead of staring at the details in games. Theres more to life than sitting in front of a monitor or TV stopping your car just to analyse the details in cars or enviournment. While your driving fast enough looking at the track ahead (Which you should be doing instead of looking at the trees) you wont see what the trees etc look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back