Lack of details in background trees

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the backgrounds are upgraded it's upgraded if not i doubt i will be dissapointed.Shall we leave it there then peeps ?.

If the backgrounds are upgraded it's upgraded if not i doubt i will be dissapointed.Shall we leave it there then peeps ?.
Not going to happen until everything is so life like we cant tell the difference between real and games. Even at that we will see threads like this because some loser sits in front of their tv or monitor to analyse the games.

Completely agree... Personally I think the trees are fine, but all it takes is 1 person to go and spoil it.. I mean really who cares !!! Its a GAME !
I dont mind that they are not perfectly lifelike... or that . it seems that they are just planting trees where they simply shouldnt and couldnt be..

Take Eiger.. the train station of Kleine Sheidegg is above the treeline at 2061m.

dat_gallery_image-27.jpg

Yet clearly we see GT5P has some "magical" trees that can survive here.
iphone-games-gran-turismo-5.jpg

And personally.. I dont mind at all as the track itself is great.... they may as well put some palm trees in for some Jamacan ambiance.

Or they can have the track change mid year to be a rally track....
scheidegg_snow.jpg
just needs some trees though

Last edited:
The PS3 may only have 256mb, well 512 total system and graphics, but people forget that the XDR ram is much faster, with a lower latency than PC ram.

As for the main topic at hand, this thread needs to be felled. Call in the lumberjacks.

True but the cell processor can only access the GDDR ram at 16mb/s.....basically it can only use XDR ram. And roughly 50mb of the XDR ram is used by the OS. So there is only a minimal amount of XDR ram left for RSX and what ever is used is mostly used to offset bandwidth and store values both cell and RSX might need to access . Accessing XDR through RSX incurs added latency aswell.

But anyway, 2d trees or no 2d trees, PD have always been wizards at optimizing hardware to the fullist.

Look at what I mean.

Trees.jpg

Sorry to offend anyone, I'm just expressing what my artistic eyes can see. I'm speaking from an artist side of view.
But like in GT4 not all trees are made the same:

gt5-prologue-04.jpg

Forza 3 use some weird 2D front layer effect to give the impression of 3D, they also use a lot of low poly trees for background.

29o22o7.gif

image_forza_motorsport_3-11111-1856_0008.jpg

image_forza_motorsport_3-11111-1856_0023.jpg

when you use most of your polygon and texture budget on the cars, tracks and buildings, then something has to take a hit. may as well be trackside details on something like le mans. in screenshots they will draw your eye, but when you are going 100mph and upwards you just dont really notice that they are slightly low on detail. what is most pleasing to the eye for me in racing games is the sense of speed. early GT games were quite poor for this IMO, but GT4 corrected this considerably. if you want to stop and look around in any game, you are gonna spot stuff that doesnt look right. but games have come a long way, the other day i played driver on my PC and its really beyond belief how far graphics have come in just ten years.

as long as GT5 preserves this sense of speed then stuff like tree detail isnt exactly going to spoil the illusion for me

What I really object to is not being able to see birds in the trees fly away when you got past, and really PD should give some polygons over to render some worms and bugs for the birds to eat... these bugs of course should be fully deformable models with exterior and interior textures, so when they splat on the windscreen it's realistic...

:rolleyes:

But like in GT4 not all trees are made the same:

Forza 3 use some weird 2D front layer effect to give the impression of 3D, they also use a lot of low poly trees for background.

I think it depends on the track for FM3, they clearly can't handle that many tree assets on Le Sarthe, but there other tracks have different trees

FM3_Scion_xD_1.jpg

I'm sure PD will do the same, use what appropriate methods they can do depending on resources available for that track..

Last edited:
very nice textures there on forza. but is it a bullshot? theres some major league anti aliasing and filtering going on with that screenshot. 360 actually has no true native anisotropic filtering modes, which was one of the worst things about forza 2 visually.

Forza's trees do look nice though. But I don't want PD to go and solve this tree problem by going and adding all this HDR bloom like vaseline over a lense. That's the nice thing about GT5, there's no 'make up'. Everything looks visually pure, and I guess the result of this is the unfortunate attention to detail in the trees.

Last edited:
Forza's trees do look nice though. But I don't want PD to go and solve this tree problem by going add adding all this HDR bloom like vaseline over a lense. That's the nice thing about GT5, there's no 'make up'. Everything looks visually pure, and I guess the result of this is the unfortunate attention to detail in the trees.

I think that's the main difference between T10 and PD for me, I trust PD to do the right thing, but I feel T10 are still 'learning' and don't quite make the right artistic choices.

In other words.. "In PD we trust".. :)

Last edited:
I was going to start a thread like this.

But it appears I've been tree'd...

...get it?

On another note, perhaps all these people driving around staring at the trees explains why so many people online can't drive for toffee?

I'm mainly speaking of the pine trees, everything else looks decent. There's always something that stand out in any games. Trees just happen to be one of the things for me in GT series. Will this stop me from buying GT5? hell no. I'm prep up for it bros. I have both Xbox and PS3. When playing different racing games, I like to compare them on graphics wise. I'm not gonna try to be a fan boy of one particular game, where I won't talk any negative things about it and just kept on telling myself lies eventhough I know that one particular thing in this game look worst than this other game. I just like my games to look awsome, i'm a graphic guy. I can't stand playing crappy graphic games. No matter how fun people make it out to be. I didn't buy an HD tv, just so I can watch a regular DVD movies in it. U know what I mean?

Take cars for example. People are always trying to talk some negative things about my evo, just because they like sti over evo. For me I don't care what they got to say. I would love to get me an Sti too if I can afford one at the moment. All I'm saying is, don't just stick to one thing and not realize the bad things in it and call it good. Give other things/games/cars/etc. a chance too.

Last edited:
very nice textures there on forza. but is it a bullshot? theres some major league anti aliasing and filtering going on with that screenshot. 360 actually has no true native anisotropic filtering modes, which was one of the worst things about forza 2 visually.

I would say: Photomode

I dont mind that they are not perfectly lifelike... or that . it seems that they are just planting trees where they simply shouldnt and couldnt be..

Take Eiger.. the train station of Kleine Sheidegg is above the treeline at 2061m.

dat_gallery_image-27.jpg

Yet clearly we see GT5P has some "magical" trees that can survive here.

To be fair, you can even see real tree's in the background of that photo so its not that unreasonable that there are tree's at the height of the station.

[edit]

Let's try another shot of the train station.
eiger2.jpg

Ooh look tree's. :)

God bless "threedeetrees"

Yeah but look how sparse that environment is, they can afford to allocate a lot of performance to the trees. It's all about compromise. Anyway the trees on London track look better than the Firs on Eiger.

Edit: PD should have used this imo like all these other games.http://www.speedtree.com/gallery/
Then again the reason is probably because the PS3 is not capable of pushing 3d trees out with everything else on screen, or they rather allocate the performance to somewhere more important than trees.

Last edited:
Edit: PD should have used this imo like all these other games.http://www.speedtree.com/gallery/
You never played previous GT? GT4 has a lot of modeled trees placed on strategically points when are necessary, obviously on the background or far distances that detail is not needed. GT5 will be the same.

The "Speedtree" effect only look detailed on close ups, on gameplay look very unrealistic like an spreaded photoshop brush, also has popup problems and visible blur LODs at distances, oh and that weird 2D rotating effect nothing like a real 3D solid feel, I doubt Polyphony wants an Oblivion effect for his game, no thanks.

Just like in Prologue (London). *cough*

It looks even greater because of the HDR effect and because its off-screen material.

Weren't PD stating at some point they were emphasizing on environmental graphical quality as they saw the quality of the cars sufficient?

Anyway, can't complain about the trees we've seen today :). (actually my avatar has me hanging from one of them)

I was very impressed with the Tokyo track, I'd like to see it from a direct feed, but off-cam it looked very very nice indeed..

Hopefully Gamersyde will pop up a better quality 60fps video at some point (BlimBlim did mention a 60fps video on the 'Gaf)..

:)

Wow you really can't tell the different between the trees in the two pictures? Somebody needs to get their eyes check out :). Notice the flat two piece trees in the top pic? and notice the trees in the bottom one. The bottom one, shows many branches sticking out in different direction.

Look at what I mean.

Trees.jpg

Sorry to offend anyone, I'm just expressing what my artistic eyes can see. I'm speaking from an artist side of view. To me the only thing I see that is better than any racing games out there for GT is... the attention in car detailing.

To me it's like walking along the street and see some fine @zz girl walking with one freakin ugly @zz guys and you're like woah. What was she thinking? U know what I mean. In this case, If you gonna make your cars look way better than the tracks itself look than, I see no point in pushing more poly into cars modeling. Like I said before when I first saw screen shots of the cars that will be available in GT5, I was jaw dropping. But when I start looking at the details in the tracks itself, I wasn't very impressed. Sorry PD wish you could cut the cars list in a half so you guys can work on pushing more details in the tracks itself.

Nice drawings dude! but you forgot to draw the shadows for the tree just like the two photos. Forza used up all the poly's for the trees they didn't have any to spare for the shadows unlike PD's.

LMAO, wow I didn't think that this topic would go anywhere. Let me rephrase what's i've said. I been a fan of GT series eversince day one. Graphic and physic of the game is what got me to kept on playing this game. While playing other racing games with more indept detail of the racing environment, so there one thing I came to realized is that the trees do sucks. Compared to other games. I'm not just comparing it to the racing game in general. I just got into PC gameing and I was amazed on how you can change the different in gaming graphic details. Let's take Crysis for example, the trees, grass rocks etc look superb. That's what i want PD to really focus on, is detail in the environmental too, not just the cars itself. Woo look how many cars we have in this game. I was quite dissapointed when I first saw the screen shots GT5 version. How it was just a minor upgrade on the tracks itself look. I was expected an Aww, jaw dropping tracks detail and trees just happen to threw it off. here what I mean.

look at these links
gran-turismo-5-prologue-screens-20080320043734945.jpg

dirt_demo_1.jpg

Those are just the example

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back