Lmes

• Thread starter MitchZ06
  • 1,924 comments

Remove GT1 and go with just LMP and GTE(GT2) or leave as is?

• Yes, bigger GTE field and more competition.

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No, leave as it is.

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I dont think adding a rule will change the way people drive. I mean, even with heavy damage people are still willing to make risky decisions.

Yeah I dont think adding a rule will change the way people drive. I mean, even with heavy damage people are still willing to make risky decisions.

Which is just incredibly stupid and will be a steep learning curve come the season opener in Rome, you dont want to be behind for 2 hours because of a first lap f-up....

Which is just incredibly stupid and will be a steep learning curve come the season opener in Rome, you dont want to be behind for 2 hours because of a first lap f-up....

yup take it from me.

Although I wish I could say I was fighting for position rather than slipping off the track :)

Thanks for the memories marly. The start was my fault. I was really slow for GTE and didnt know where to start from.

We are sitting here in the infield at Monza after a rather eventful race with Tower Turn Competition owner and driver Tower Turn 13. You guys didnt have the race that you wanted. Explain to us what happened on the first lap.

Well my tires were cold. Isn't that what race car drivers are supposed to say to the media when they screw up? :):):)

Typical racing driver excuse there!

But seriously, we were just utterly unprepared for this race. After being lapped by cars in GTE due to pit stops and severely damaged car, the team manager called me in to avoid being a hindrance to LMPs. We would never normally do this in season, but because there are no points standings for these races we wanted to avoid unnecessary dangers for everyone. This week we'll be on the track double the amount of time we spent here. From the footage it appears one of the Diablo's tires slipped into the grass and caused a spinout into the wall. We're just glad no one was hurt, it was a nasty wreck. Very frustrating moment that cost us the race.

Your car seems to be getting a lot of help from the organizers in performance wise. Do you feel like you are getting closer with the car?

Yes, and we've had tuning advice from experts in the field such as FlyinHawaiian. The trouble is the car seems to be at least a few seconds behind in general, and we're working on that. Some of it may be novice driver issues, but some of it is also car behavior. Acceleration and brake time should improve with the recent weight reduction. We don't mind admitting we need it to keep competitive. Ultimately we don't feel these changes in spec will give us unfair advantage or anything of that nature.

Hopefully, you can get a better result in Germany. How do you plan on approaching it?

Practice. Tons of practice. We nearly placed pole in Madrid, and the only thing that got us that close was practice. That race was very clean and only minor damage caused us to back down in position due to pit stops. Otherwise we found a pocket and hit all our apexes in stride. We're looking to repeat that result, and possibly even place. Though we also realize it's very early in the season. We just have to find our pattern and go with it. Work out the kinks, as they say.

Well, we will talk back with you in Germany. Thanks for the time.

Thank you.

Good race, my tires were screwed though when the Z passed me. I got a little nudge and ended up getting tires off track. That wasn't ideal as it took out lots of tire life, also causing a spin. I pitted early because of this. LAP 12. Then proceeded the rest of the way. With that said, a long first stint was in the cards to make up for the lower top speed. But that strategy was out the window. 2nd place in GTE was definitely in reach. Oh well, next race should look better.

Yeah looking forward to racing with you Seth. Wonder how it will pan out with the new specs on el Diablo y tu Zonda.

sorry I'm learning Spanish this summer :D

I have run into the second place overall entry of BMW Team Project 54 driver lilcat89. You guys brought both cars over to Monza for preseason testing and sprint races. You planned on running the M3 GTR here at Monza, but what changed?

Well, we had every intention of running the M3 for the first time before the season starts. Within about 5 minutes before qualifying, we were informed that we could pull out the V12 LMR and run in LMP. The car was horribly unprepared and we had never run the car for more than 5 laps at a time.

Were you as shocked as everyone else how quick the car was?

I was pleasantly surprised how quick the car was. It took a couple of laps to find the grip and line, but we found it quite quickly. I was shocked at the time we set first full lap. We never ran that quick during the race.

The race was rather eventful with strategy playing hugely into the outcome. How did you use it and what happened throughout?

Well, the car was super quick right off on fresh tires. We pulled out a 30 second lead during the first 12 or so laps and then the tires started going off rather quickly. We pitted shortly after. Then, marly pitted the Courage. I knew that I had to pit a couple of laps later before that set went off, so I was pushing to get the gap I needed to stay ahead after I pitted again. We pitted and came out just ahead of him, so it worked out...until our overall lead fight came up to lap the Corvette of Mitch at the first sweeper. In practice, we came up on him there and I lost the car going around him there. So, in the race, Mitch, in my eyes, took my line away into the corner. Which caused me to lock the brakes and lose the car in the gravel trap. Then, coming out of the Lesmos curves, he got off onto the grass and spun into my left rear corner and sent me spinning into the wall. It was more about finishing after that.

Well, that cleared that up. Hopefully we can see more of that V12 LMR later on and into next season. Thanks for that recap.

Thanks.

Walking around the paddock after Monza for the LMES and I bump into tissimo, who happened to have some time to take us through the race from his point of view. There was some issues at the start. Explain what happened.

The start was a bit unusual. During the pace lap, Leading the GTE class, I was about 10 seconds behind (at 60mph/100kmph) the leading LMP cars going into the Start/Finish straight but the LMP class slowed to a near stop coming to the line as there was some confusion with the rolling start procedures. This allowed both classes to stack on top of each other making the start pretty chaotic. After we finally went green, the LMP cars pulled out a lead into the first corner leaving the GTE cars battling it out. Mitch_Z06 pulled a bit of a draft and was side by side going through the first corner with Freshseth83 following closely in the Zonda, and see in the mirror the side profile Diablo of Tower Turn 13, not sure what happened there. As we continued into the hard braking zone still side by side with Mitch_Z06 he touched the inside grass which sent his car violently to the outside of the track and side swiping my car resulting in both of us in the grass. Because of this contact I received some fairly extensive damage to my right front wheel. This also allowed the Zonda of Freshseth83 to pull ahead of both of us. At this point I faced the decision of driving with the damaged alignment or Pit to fix the damage, putting me 30 seconds back. Throughout the rest of the lap leading to the pit entrance, I decided to stay out and continue with the damage. The strategy payed off in the end.

There was some tense moments with other cars throughout the race. Enlighten us on what was going through your mind.

Yeah, there was some tense action throughout the race. After my lap 1 incident I continued to battle with Freshseth83 for the lead of the GTE class. The battle lasted a couple laps, and I dont remember the details that much, but I was able to get ahead taking the lead of the GTE. Later though, I was informed that my aggressive driving caused problems with Freshseth83, I think resulting in him spinning. I'd have to review a replay as I dont remember the details. (after reviewing the replay, there was very minor contact but not because of my actions or aggression, but because the Zonda of Freshseth83 was a bit squirly after putting a tire off).

Around lap 13 I went into the pits as the bad alignment from my Lap 1 incident had worn out my left front tire causing the car to push severely into the many fast right hander corners here at Monza. As I was on the speed limited exiting the pits, I see Mitch_Z06's Corvette rocket by taking the GTE Lead. I know Mitch had pitted on lap 2 and his tires were fairly old, so I came out pushing extremely hard. But being on cold tires, I had a slight off on my outlap. After regaining composure, I proceeded to press putting in some very quick consistent laps. I continued for about 5-6 laps when I started to see the unmistakable Corvette rear end in the distance, and it renewed my drive to catch Mitch, and pressed even harder. For the next 2 laps I grew closer and closer pressing as hard as I could still putting in great lap times. With some luck a couple LMP cars came from behind allowing me to catch their draft through the long straights of Monza allowing me to close the gap even more.

You won your class in this outing. Will this result change how you approach the next preseason round?

The 350z has very good cornering and exit speed, and going into Nurburgring I feel I'll have the advantage over the rest of the field. I feel confident that I can repeat the performance we had at Monza and even Madrid previous with another win in the GTE class.

Thank you for the chat and good luck next week.

Thank you.

Good race, my tires were screwed though when the Z passed me. I got a little nudge and ended up getting tires off track. That wasn't ideal as it took out lots of tire life, also causing a spin. I pitted early because of this. LAP 12. Then proceeded the rest of the way. With that said, a long first stint was in the cards to make up for the lower top speed. But that strategy was out the window. 2nd place in GTE was definitely in reach. Oh well, next race should look better.

I reviewed this incident on my screen, and it didn't play out the same on my screen. On mine it showed you get a tire off and get squirly then a very light sideswipe from you and you spun. It was probably a lag issue though or something as to the difference. As I said on my screen it didn't look like I did anything. I took a vid of it to show my screen, cause was bored. Excuse my laugh, it was of me running off the road (was watching rear view instead of ahead in the race).

Mitch, Do you use the controller? I only ask, cause with my damage, I was able to drive fine (thought the wheel was off center), but after our incident you kind swerved back and forth, assuming trying to control/correct with the controller.

Last edited:
lilcat, you forgot the last paragraph of the 2nd question, lol.

edit: my bad I didn't include in the 2nd pm.

At around Lap 21-22 coming into Turn 2 when I finally caught Mitch in his Corvette. It was apparent to me that his tires were pretty worn, and I had the advantage. I ducked my nose in a couple times trying to get the pass complete but wasn't able to for most of the lap. After the tight back section and the long run to the last corner I had a good run and was able to pull ahead going into the corner. But the hard drive up to and the short battle I had with Mitch had worn my tires considerably and I took a shallow defensive inside line a bit too quick and the car pushed into the kitty litter. In hind sight I should of just slowed and slotted in behind Mitch again after missing the apex, but I was heated after the lap long battle and didn't, resulting in about 10-15 seconds lost to Mitch. But to my luck another 2 laps later Mitch had an incident causing him to spin and I think hit the wall picking up some damage, allowing me to pass easily as he was recovering.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm on a DS3.....sometimes I can drive off with some damage but that off caused more than just suspension damage....

Nice work BTW lilcat! 👍

Yeah I'm on a DS3.....sometimes I can drive off with some damage but that off caused more than just suspension damage....

Nice work BTW lilcat! 👍

Thank you. I'm still waiting on the overall winner.

EDIT: Updated the Group page with all the interviews thus far from Monza. Mitch, can you delete the Teams thread on the group page. I would like everyone who is competing to pm me a photo of your team car(s) so that I can update it.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm still waiting on the overall winner.

EDIT: Updated the Group page with all the interviews thus far from Monza. Mitch, can you delete the Teams thread on the group page. I would like everyone who is competing to pm me a photo of your team car(s) so that I can update it.

Yeah will do.

Thanks mitch. Here is our interview with the overall winner.

I have managed to find our overall winner, marluxiaXI11, loading up the race winning car. He had a couple of minutes to chat with us about the race from his prospective. There was some issues at the start. Explain what happened.

At the start of of the race i was unfamiliar with the pace lap and rolling start,then going into the chicane i was going faster than expected and hit the right rear of jml causing both of us some damage at which point we both pitted and i never hit anything hard enough for the rest of the race to cause damage.

There was some tense moments with other cars throughout the race. Enlighten us on what was going through your mind.

When i came to a tight spot trying to pass another car i just backed off the gas and braked a little earlier until there was enough room to pass.

You won your class in this outing. Will this result change how you approach the next preseason round?

The main problem i had was with my braking going from a fast section into a slow turn so thats something i will have to work on since i had little experience on Monza and the next preseason track i will need to work on where to start braking on those tracks and adjust my brakes accordingly.

Last edited:
From some prrlim testing @ Nurburgring GP/D was running 1:27s iirc... The tires go pretty quick though, will be interesting

Have the group teams updated. Would also like a short history and description of the team also to go with the photo.

Hey guys putting up a room for Hairpin Challenge Series testing. Will be testing on-track Thursday evenings during preseason. Room is

1472-6118-4216-8213-4778.

Looking forward to this support race category TT13!

In other news, confirmation of the next preseason track being Nurburgring GP/D set for 40 laps. See you there!

Wanna put this out there to the group, who'd be up for having the final preseason race at La Sarthe 2009? It'd be on the week leading up to Le Mans so could be a fun little race if taken seriously.

Absolutely! Time change, everything. I just pulled out my df wheel from GT3 this morning and am getting acclimated to it slowly. Totally different challenge than ds3. Wont be as quick...for now.

MitchZ06
Wanna put this out there to the group, who'd be up for having the final preseason race at La Sarthe 2009? It'd be on the week leading up to Le Mans so could be a fun little race if taken seriously.

Will the first season race be on the June 11th? I'll be out of town that weekend, so if we could put out off to the next week would be awesome. Would hate to miss the season opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back