Microsoft officially confirms no X360 wheel compatibility with XboxOne

• Thread starter amar212
  • 107 comments
I still don't get what people are so angry about. There are certain risks involved with buying accessories for anything, the biggest being there is no guarantee of compatibility with future versions.

That may be true, but when the PS4 will most likely be compatible with current generation wheels, it's perfectly valid for people to get upset. And this wouldn't be the first time Sony made the Playstation compatible with last gen accessories. You can use PS2 Logitech wheels to play GT5.

After playing Forza 4 and not being impressed with its replayability, I'll never buy another M$ console ever again. This is just outrageous, but not surprising either. :rolleyes:

Jerome

Basher I forgot to add that for four years I was project manager for an advertising firm, one of our main functions was seeding forums, you have no idea how many companies have forum seeders. My point being that Forza basically got its legs because of the online community, the hardcore online community. We helped build that brand, and they constantly reference the hardcore in advertising and promotional material.

Yet now they do a 180 now that they don't need hardcore players anymore.

Well, Forza can go the way of the dodo just as easily if they don't take care of their core. Ask Sony.

Let's be honest: unlike PC sims and even GT, Forza has always been tuned mostly for the pad with a small minority of wheel users given a bearable but not great experience. I could to into all the reasons why (having heavily played F3 and F4 on my Fanatec) but it's not really important.

Sure, you could still have fun with a wheel, but Forza's pad tuning was so much more important to T10 and to the vast majority of the player base. Now with the Xbox One rumble triggers, I am sure T10 is expecting 90%+ users sticking to the pad.

Let's be honest: unlike PC sims and even GT, Forza has always been tuned mostly for the pad with a small minority of wheel users given a bearable but not great experience. I could to into all the reasons why (having heavily played F3 and F4 on my Fanatec) but it's not really important.

Sure, you could still have fun with a wheel, but Forza's pad tuning was so much more important to T10 and to the vast majority of the player base. Now with the Xbox One rumble triggers, I am sure T10 is expecting 90%+ users sticking to the pad.
Mmmm.. I don't agree with you! GT specialy the last GT5 is tuned mostly for steering wheel!

This news doesn't surprise me, Microsoft will make money out of new accessories by charging a liscencing fee for there wireless tech. It's exactly the same reason logitechs are not supported on the 360. Well this settles it for me PS4 all the way, it's a shame as I really like forza

Have to say i'm a little surprised at the negativity in this thread?
With regards to new wheels i'm welcoming that the new Thrustmaster and MadCatz wheels for the Xbox One are embarrassing new tech and i hope we get a level of force feedback never seen before that the current tech wheels just can't provide, of course we will just have to wait and see how this will unfold once it gets into peoples hands..

I currently have a G27 and wheel stand setup that i use for PC and PS3, and i really hope that a new PS4 wheel gets released too that ups the ante and brings us new tech to play with as well.

Thats just the way i look at it.

New tech?
Thrutmaster will use a brushless motor, but that is not really a "new tech".

When you have spent 1000$ for an official Turn 10 Forza wheel, you can be upset not to be able to use you wheel.

Yeah, new tech? Brushless is about the only new tech possible, and there will be no difference in the feel of the FFB due to that.

Basher I forgot to add that for four years I was project manager for an advertising firm, one of our main functions was seeding forums, you have no idea how many companies have forum seeders. My point being that Forza basically got its legs because of the online community, the hardcore online community. We helped build that brand, and they constantly reference the hardcore in advertising and promotional material.

Yet now they do a 180 now that they don't need hardcore players anymore.

Well, Forza can go the way of the dodo just as easily if they don't take care of their core. Ask Sony.
Mr. Basher I agree and I'm not asking for them to target a wheel above $250 to casuals because frankly they just won't get it and won't care.

But they should not leave in the cold all the fans who did make Forza what it is, this is unacceptable, especially considering that in all the public announcements, and videos and literature they mention THIS DAMN HARDCORE FORZA COMMUNITY.

"Gee thanks Forza hardcore for making us a success, now here's a big middle finger"

Allowing compatibility with legacy products could be made via an adapter.

Allowing a company to make a converter for true wheel, pedals, accessories, not this garbage would be acceptable.

Making any announcement of the Triple screen abilities would be acceptable.

And finally, STOP REFERENCING ALL US HARDCORE FANS IN YOUR PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL WHEN ALL YOU'RE DOING IS SHAFTING US.

Not sure I see it like that in reference to wheels and hardcore players.

Forza 1 and 2 was mostly pad players and the odd official wheel owner. I game on pc and PS2 as well. You had full rotation support for G25 and DFP on PS2. Forza 2 came out on 360 totally oblivious to serious wheel support or the notion of driving 500-900 degree wheels. Forza 3 came out and still was using joypad for wheels in the background on Fanatec. Forza 4 was released and we had to have clear videos highlighting showing how the Fanatec wheel were using joypad and they patched it. PC and PS2/PS3 has been where its at. GT5p in 2007 had g25 clutch support while Forza from 2007 was a joypad game and no half decent wheel. The offical one was phased out and hardly could be bought before that

A few months after Forza 3 was released we had 10k Fanatec wheels shipped out. The first time we had a serious wheel even though the actual code didn't use the 900 degree wheel well, only in the hands of a 10 thousand people which I was one of.

Forza to me was built on livery creators, pad players, marketing and being a very good game with tons of content and new features. Not wheel users or this type of user.

We're a tiny fraction and never really thought about till very late on. Forza is still Forza for those who built/supported it.

All the videos I see are the same from t10 each release referencing liveries, community stuff and online pad players. They highlight what is great about Forza and this is still relevent and there with Forza 5.

I understand your frustration though but the wheel support is tiny, it doesn't carry any weight and has been quite a mess.

Last edited:
Paul33993
MS has never struck me as being concerned about build quality of their console products. Probably decided to auction off licenses to the highest bidders and this is what resulted.

But at least they could've saved on return shipping costs by bundling the Clubsport wheel and the XB One when they both got the red ring of death at the same time.

Edit: And yes I agree with Chromatic, Forza isnt a sim racing game, its an artistic livery creator that comes with a mini-game in which you can also drive your cars to see what they look like after you get bored painting.

Last edited:
Have to say i'm a little surprised at the negativity in this thread?
With regards to new wheels i'm welcoming that the new Thrustmaster and MadCatz wheels for the Xbox One are embarrassing new tech and i hope we get a level of force feedback never seen before that the current tech wheels just can't provide, of course we will just have to wait and see how this will unfold once it gets into peoples hands..

I currently have a G27 and wheel stand setup that i use for PC and PS3, and i really hope that a new PS4 wheel gets released too that ups the ante and brings us new tech to play with as well.

Thats just the way i look at it.

I'm hoping for one wheel to work with PS4/One and PC, a T500 type wheel for example with clutch.

off topic, it's embracing not embarrassing

Anyway, some are quite upset because they're only going to get a year or two out of their expensive Fanatec wheel they bought. Might be a different story if we had these wheels since 2006.

Last edited:
Sorry, but starting with Forza 2, highlighting the wheel and triple monitor setups and even motion at every press event, show, convention. Sure tried wooing people who race with a wheel, multiple monitors.

Just see the video. Lot of marketing non sense. This guy do not know anything about cars,physics or FFB.

He speaks about changing springs to adapt damping !?!

He speaks about brushless silence as a way to feel wheel precision !?!

He speaks about new way to drive FFB. There is two way to drive FFB, send wheel position or send wheel torque. No wheel or simulation support torque input, it is still the position input.

He speaks about innovation ? Does he remember Fanatec Clubsport Wheel could not be xbox 360 compatible BECAUSE of swappable rim ???

F.. You M$.

360 sold, time to buy a Mac.

M$ has every right to make money off their peripherals. Everyone is in business to make money. Accept what they offer, or don't. It is that simple. Pay the licensing fees, you get compatibility. Thurstmaster & MadCatz seem to have no issues with this. Why does Fanatec? Don't be so quick to blame Microsoft when other companies have no issue abiding by the procedures set in place.

There are 2 sides to any story.

I just can't imagine that M$ has contacted Thrustmasters & MadCatz without even contacting there former partner Fanatec. It could also be that Thrustmaster & MadCatz contacted M$, but than again why didn't Fanatec do this in an early stage?

It could also be that M$ just charges too much for a license at Xbox One launch, so that Fanatec will let this one pass for now, while Thrustmaster & MadCatz see intresting business opportunities.

Anyway i don't think Thomas is telling us the whole story, but he has a right to. It's his business he's running.

So yes AGP5000 is right: There are 2 sides to this story

It could be as simple as Fanatec doesn't have a wheel that will be ready at launch or anytime soon after, so no point in paying for a license until you can actually use it. Fanatec new it was coming, they stopped sales of the elite months ago. For what ever reason Fanatec has choosen not to be part of this launch. They did have other products in development during that time. Could of been a simple manpower problem.

M$ M$ M$. Are these post even meaningful or serious?

Investing in peripherals is almost always a gamble. I recommend you to not drop $500+ for a wheel if it comes out for a console, Microsoft isn't all the way at fault, its partly you also.

M$ M$ M$. Are these post even meaningful or serious?

Investing in peripherals is almost always a gamble. I recommend you to not drop $500+ for a wheel if it comes out for a console, Microsoft isn't all the way at fault, its partly you also.

We have a philosopher and a scholar here.... :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
the elite has been discontinued for almost a year now.

Just sold mine because I needed the money for a home inspection, but if I knew that I wouldn't have. since I already had the wheel as a beta tester I never bothered to check Fanatec's site. :(

Sorry, but starting with Forza 2, highlighting the wheel and triple monitor setups and even motion at every press event, show, convention. Sure tried wooing people who race with a wheel, multiple monitors.

Forza 2 wheel support was a joke. even the MS wheel didn't have ffb on it. PGR 3 at least the ffb worked.

and I don't agree that sim racers/hardcore/wheel owners made the game what it is. simple fact is that most play with a pad and that is the primary audience although they may not be as vocal as wheel players (same is true with GT, although wheel support is not as much an afterthought)

We'll agree to disagree. :)

All the striving for realism wasn't aimed at casuals, triple monitor wasn't aimed at casuals, the fact is Forza wanted to be the "real driving simulator" instead of GT. CasuAls dont care about that. Why spend all that money developing that?

We definitely had a large hand in that.

Hell I forgot about head tracking. Casuals could give a rats arse about that.

Last edited:
We'll agree to disagree. :)

I don't care if you disagree. fact is you are wrong

I have Forza 2. there was no FFB with the official MS wheel which I owned then sold. this is 1st hand experience and not some comment based on a youtube video. The MS wheel was the only one available at the time and Fanatec didn't make xbox wheels then

Back