[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,915 comments
when buying a new n1 pulsar screen says 200hp

when you goto tune it starts at 197hp

is this a bug?

No - the dealerships show the static manufacturer-quoted numbers, while for an owned car you get the actual calculated numbers from the power and torque curves, as it has to take any equipped upgrades into account. The curves are generally close enough to the quoted values, but they aren't exact. A variance of a few horsepower is fairly normal, anything that's more dramatically off I try to tidy up, but I don't plan to go through all 621 engines trying to get them closer to perfect, as in practice you'll never feel a 2-3hp variation.

Do you have a list of future changes planned?

Also, I notice in game the Shelby Daytona has a 5 speed when as far as I know the real car only had a 4 speed. Is this something that could be corrected?

Do you have a list of future changes planned?

Also, I notice in game the Shelby Daytona has a 5 speed when as far as I know the real car only had a 4 speed. Is this something that could be corrected?

I don't have a concrete list of plans, no, sometimes a change doesn't work out or something new is found, so I'd rather not commit to any specific items up front.

Good spot on the Daytona - it's a bit of a weird situation though, since it's a race car and thus has a racing transmission. It seems like a deliberate design decision that all of the racing transmissions have a minimum of 5 gears, as even the 3-speed cars like the W8 and GTX jump up to 5 as soon as the transmission is upgraded. It's definitely something to think about, but I don't know which way I'd lean on it yet. Either way, specific ratios can't be set for adjustable gears either, so the ratios in it are always going to be wrong too, even if it was a 4-speed.

Yeah, the Mini rally car has a 5 speed too when it should be a 4 speed. It is possible to have a racing transmission with less than 5 gears (the Project A-Spec mod has it for the Taurus stock car) though. And the Mini is one car with overinflated power I don't think really deserves to be corrected.

Last edited:
Is there a reason the 93/94 Prelude became a 91?
I know that gen started production at the end of 1991 as a 92 model, but when I see "91 Prelude", I think of the previous gen with the pop-up headlights.

Yeah, as Sub says, 1991 is actually the original listed year for the car in the Japanese version of the game and in GT1, and for some reason it was changed to a later year in the US version of GT2, possibly to try to pretend it was a US-spec VTEC which was model year 1993 onwards. Most of the Japanese-market cars in the game don't use American-style model years (where you can buy a '2024' car in 2023), so they're usually listed by production date, I believe.

All of the fake 'localisation' like that is reverted back to match the Japanese release, because it was a confusing mess and resulted in the majority of cars in the game having a (J) appended to their name to show that they weren't real models (e.g. Miata S Special (J) instead of Roadster S Special). It also means that the car names now match in all three regions, and trying to bring them all together into one coherent version was another of my goals.

Hi, at first many many thanks for this great work. GT2 makes more fun then ever. Is it possible to fix the skins of the R TT's? And the track of the front wheels from the racing modification. Many thanks and best regards
IMG-20231101-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20231101-WA0004.jpg

Is it possible to fix the skins of the R TT's? And the track of the front wheels from the racing modification.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'fixing the skins' - what's broken about them? As for the wheel positions, they've been mentioned before and they're on the to-do list, but wheel positions are very difficult to adjust properly as they're different in menus and races, and what looks acceptable in one part of the game can look terrible in another.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'fixing the skins' - what's broken about them? As for the wheel positions, they've been mentioned before and they're on the to-do list, but wheel positions are very difficult to adjust properly as they're different in menus and races, and what looks acceptable in one part of the game can look terrible in another.
Oh, this sounds great. Thank you. I mean the flag, the white border. 😊

If this ↓ is what you're talking about, that's not fixable, it's an issue with the way the PS1 renders graphics. And all of the enhancements emulators can bring won't ever fix it. the PS1 famously lacks floating point calculations, and can only do integer numbers, so graphics wobbling and imprecision is just how the console is.
1698959132559.png

As for the reversed text, it's because most of the cars in GT use mirrored textures to save space for other details. It's not rare to see flipped "text" on either side of the car, or bumpers.

Also for the fitment issue, it's even worse than you think. The wheels are actually aligned with each other... it's the model's proportions that are awful. The TT and a few other cars have a wider front than the back. I need to get around to fixing it one day.

Last edited:
If this ↓ is what you're talking about, that's not fixable, it's an issue with the way the PS1 renders graphics. And all of the enhancements emulators can bring won't ever fix it. the PS1 famously lacks floating point calculations, and can only do integer numbers, so graphics wobbling and imprecision is just how the console is.
View attachment 1300109

As for the reversed text, it's because most of the cars in GT use mirrored textures to save space for other details. It's not rare to see flipped "text" on either side of the car, or bumpers.

Also for the fitment issue, it's even worse than you think. The wheels are actually aligned with each other... it's the model's proportions that are awful. The TT and a few other cars have a wider front than the back. I need to get around to fixing it one day.
Sorry, my fault. My English is not the best. The numberplate is not the problem in my opinion. I mean the white border on the German flag. The screen I was posting, is for better perspective of the front track. And yes, the tt is wider on the front, but it's the same model like the tt lm and the road tt. I think they have just rebuild a front splitter to the tt lm an race modification. Best regards 😊

Oh, this sounds great. Thank you. I mean the flag, the white border. 😊

That border is there so that the black part of the flag is visually separated from the black paintwork around it, otherwise it'd just look like it was red and yellow. It's the same way on the Audi R8R that the TT's livery is copied from.

In GT2, the border is a single pixel wide on the texture, on all four sides of the flag, but the PS1 doesn't have enough precision in its graphics to make it look even. I personally think that removing the border would look even worse though, as the top part of the flag would be lost.

Greetings everyone. Great mod this is, been using it since 6.1, although I have a small issue - would it be possible to upload the lite 6.1 version - or the one before beta 7 - for the Arcade mode, as I've been using the older version of the mod on Simulation mode but have lost my modded disk for the Arcade mode, and I cannot use my save file on the new 7 version of Arcade mode. Help would me much appreciated.

Last edited:
Everything is fine... But code patches such as increased drawing render do not work for me (during the game I have the one from the replay which renders the map further),
Increased LOD of cars (they no longer turn into squares and remain in their full models all the time),
Real 60fps also doesn't work with your modification. My game version is NTSC-U 1.1
Some solution?

Everything is fine... But code patches such as increased drawing render do not work for me (during the game I have the one from the replay which renders the map further),Increased LOD of cars (they no longer turn into squares and remain in their full models all the time),Real 60fps also doesn't work with your modification. My game version is NTSC-U 1.1
Some routes, e.g. Thaithi Road, disappear immediately after the start sign.
Some solution?

Last edited:
Everything is fine... But code patches such as increased drawing render do not work for me (during the game I have the one from the replay which renders the map further),
Increased LOD of cars (they no longer turn into squares and remain in their full models all the time),
Real 60fps also doesn't work with your modification. My game version is NTSC-U 1.1
Some solution?

I'm afraid I can't provide support for other people's modifications. It's worth noting however that as part of this patch, the game code is updated to 1.2 to include its bug fixes.

Road disappearing tells me you're probably not using the additional developer memory that's required with these codes.
It's not the mod's fault, it's your setup's.

Road disappearing tells me you're probably not using the additional developer memory that's required with these codes.
It's not the mod's fault, it's your setup's.

I use 8MB RAM as in the development console. It works without any problems without your modification.

Does anyone have patch codes in version 1.2 NTSC-U for:
21:9 widescreen

60 frames per second.

Render distance (the one from replays because it has a much longer draw distance)

LOD (the 3D body of the car does not change depending on the distance, it remains in full LOD)

Rear view mirror (in full rendering, same as game)

and many more other code patches that improve the game's graphics.

Screenshot_20231115-162518_DuckStation.jpg

Here's my list.
I can also provide a detailed screenshot with the values of these patch codes.

Or is it possible to directly implement these patch codes into your patch?

To be honest, the game is much more enjoyable when you don't have to read the road a bit ahead of you and the buildings suddenly grow out of the ground. The original smoke from under the tires is a joke, with the code patch it looks much better. The same applies to LOD, objects or cars themselves.

Unfortunately, all these codes are for the NTSC-U 1.1 version, which I have the original version of.

Does anyone have patch codes in version 1.2 NTSC-U for:
21:9 widescreen

60 frames per second.

Render distance (the one from replays because it has a much longer draw distance)

LOD (the 3D body of the car does not change depending on the distance, it remains in full LOD)

Rear view mirror (in full rendering, same as game)

and many more other code patches that improve the game's graphics.

Unfortunately, all these codes are for the NTSC-U 1.1 version, which I have the original version of.
You can find other versions of those codes here.

Okay. But still not all the codes on my list are here.
But we will check and see if it will work with GT2 plus
It's all there, just not broken down to individual effects like "Re-enable tire smoke" and "Re-enable rear view mirror". They must work with GT2 Plus, as the mod does not touch anything related to the game's rendering engine.

It's all there, just not broken down to individual effects like "Re-enable tire smoke" and "Re-enable rear view mirror". They must work with GT2 Plus, as the mod does not touch anything related to the game's rendering engine.

Okay. What about the HARD code?
(is this a forced "raise" of the difficulty level? Enemies drive faster, more confidently and perfectly negotiate corners, making the game demanding)
I can give you its values so you can see for yourself what I'm talking about.

It's really worth asking wherever you got those codes from instead, as I can't provide any help with finding other people's modifications for the game - this thread is just about this one. As above, there shouldn't be any difference in compatibility with codes for NTSC-U 1.2 retail and any NTSC-U version of GT2+.

Okay. Cheats for 1.2 US version finally work for my version. But regardless of whether patch codes are enabled or not, in Sundey Cup the first race at Thaithi Road crashes right after the start mark.
However, in Super license it works flawlessly while driving a Mini Cooper. Can anyone check this issue?
Other tracks/competitions seem to be fine for now.

Back