My 69 Camaro Pro-Touring build. Updated 9/30/14

LEDs are very good choice. Also is that the final car color?
Yes the LED / SMD lights are very bright. For now this is the final color. Epoxy primer grey until it is eventually painted. For the paint color I am leaning toward silver or blue. Probably blue....eventually.

Also with that said, my 69 Camaro is officially my daily driver at this point. I sold our daily driver 2000 Saturn and now I am driving the Camaro every day. 👍

So its been interesting daily driving the Camaro for the last week. Needed to drastically adjust the headlights, found some annoying squeaking noises, and realize it tends to smell more like exhaust than anything else. Also bought a couple goodies to improve the car.

Created and welded in sub frame connectors using round tube steel. I should have put these in many years ago with all the road track racing I have done. This made a massive difference in the body roll and handling. Also added some vibration at certain RPMs so I need to get rid of my solid steel exhaust hangers and add in some rubber hangers. I will try to get some pics of the sub frame connectors. I love how they turned out with the round stock steel.

The headers I had were well over 15 years old and started falling apart. So I bought some new cheap headers. The paint did not last long at all as expected. Flaked right off after a few runs at 6,000 rpm. I think I might eventually just wrap them in heat tape since the headers are cheap and ugly anyway.
if1t06.jpg

9k1a2x.jpg

Brand new Energy Suspension Polyurethane Body mounts. I blew a couple of them out jumping the "hump jump" after turn 4 at Grattan Raceway. This process actually took a few hours due to some rust. Had to weld in some new metal under the cab corner mounts.
optkxz.jpg

ooo daily driving it now? Awesome. Also, yesss wrap them headers, they'll look way cooler.

EDIT: I just noticed that I had never looked trough this thread, so I just did. Too bad I'm at work and I can't see most of the pics and vids, but will do when I get home.

I did remember being an ass in the clear lamp thread, I was like the 5th person to talk crap about them lol, but curiously, almost ten years later I'm not bothered by them. You can say time changes people.

And so. Paint? Leave it in gray primer and just spruce it up a little.

Last edited:
ooo daily driving it now? Awesome. Also, yesss wrap them headers, they'll look way cooler.

EDIT: I just noticed that I had never looked trough this thread, so I just did. Too bad I'm at work and I can't see most of the pics and vids, but will do when I get home.

I did remember being an ass in the clear lamp thread, I was like the 5th person to talk crap about them lol, but curiously, almost ten years later I'm not bothered by them. You can say time changes people.

And so. Paint? Leave it in gray primer and just spruce it up a little.
I just now decided to read this reply. Funny you mention the clear taillight thread almost 10 years ago. I have actually had you on my "ignore" list since that day along with several other members. So I haven't read any of your replies since that thread. I just happened to view your reply in here just to see what you said. Nice to see that almost 10 years later your opinion has changed. I appreciate your reply and it sounds like you have matured quite a bit in 10 years. As you said, time changes people.

At this point I will give it a shot and take you off my ignore list.

As for paint. I would like to eventually paint it blue or silver. I beat the car up quite a bit on and off the track. So with it not painted, I don't have to worry about the body getting damaged. Especially if someone dings it by accident or if it gets scuffed up. I have an inside joke with friends about my car. Once in a while if it gets banged or bumped into I always say...."THATS why I never paint it". :lol:

Last edited:
I just now decided to read this reply. Funny you mention the clear taillight thread almost 10 years ago. I have actually had you on my "ignore" list since that day along with several other members. So I haven't read any of your replies since that thread. I just happened to view your reply in here just to see what you said. Nice to see that almost 10 years later your opinion has changed. I appreciate your reply and it sounds like you have matured quite a bit in 10 years. As you said, time changes people.

At this point I will give it a shot and take you off my ignore list.

As for paint. I would like to eventually paint it blue or silver. I beat the car up quite a bit on and off the track. So with it not painted, I don't have to worry about the body getting damaged. Especially if someone dings it by accident or if it gets scuffed up. I have an inside joke with friends about my car. Once in a while if it gets banged or bumped into I always say...."THATS why I never paint it". :lol:

Oh, come on now dude! Ten years on an ignore list for something like that? :crazy: well, you have a lot of reading to do, I do remember replying to, er, practically everything you've posted recently :lol:, specially the Mustang thread an such stuff. Yeah go read the Mustang thread.

EDIT: As for spicing the car's looks a bit... I don't know how fond you are of your billets, but...

Last edited:
I have found its easier to put someone on my ignore list than it is to deal with them. :sly:

I do love the Budnik Famosa wheels on my car but if I ever went with new wheels, they would probably be black with a silver lip for sure. Similar to your photoshop.

As for paint, I would go with World Rally Blue. The same blue that's on my WRX. I love that color blue so much.

My father in law is considering selling his '41 Ford truck and getting a '68 Camaro convertible. I told him I have a friend with a '69 and he loves it, then he said to ask your opinion.

His truck has a built 383 Stroker, it's fast and sounds great, he might be nuts to consider it but a 68 Camaro drop top would certainly hold it's value.

DD,
67-69 Camaros are everywhere. A 41' Ford truck is quite rare. I would tell him to keep that truck. Sorry for the delayed response but I was on vacation for the last week.

DD,
67-69 Camaros are everywhere. A 41' Ford truck is quite rare. I would tell him to keep that truck. Sorry for the delayed response but I was on vacation for the last week.

Thanks CB, he decided to keep the 41 Ford truck. He is still getting the 68 Camaro SS convertible, but now he is trading his 2011 Dodge Hemi pickup and his 51 Ford Coupe (which is bone stock), plus a car trailer for it.

I saw the pics of the 68 Camaro SS Convertible, it's look's very clean, all stock, 396, 4 speed, completely restored, no AC though, but he can install that later. His picking it up this week I think.

Thanks CB, he decided to keep the 41 Ford truck. He is still getting the 68 Camaro SS convertible, but now he is trading his 2011 Dodge Hemi pickup and his 51 Ford Coupe (which is bone stock), plus a car trailer for it.

I saw the pics of the 68 Camaro SS Convertible, it's look's very clean, all stock, 396, 4 speed, completely restored, no AC though, but he can install that later. His picking it up this week I think.
Sounds like a smart man. You will have to post some pics after he picks it up. 👍

On a side note. I am in the market for some coil overs for the front of my 69 Camaro. I want fully adjustable too. But there are a ton of options out there. Looking to spend $400+ on a pair. Thinking about going with QA1 but not sure yet. So many options its just crazy. I would like to keep my stock control arms but I guess we will see how that goes. Might consider going with aftermarket tubular control arms if I can find a package deal.

Last edited:
I'd say your best bet would be to register in the forums at Pro Touring, G-machine and such sites and post your budget and what you want, and then let people that have experience with this or that brand to tell you what to expect, as indeed, the ammount of options for the 69 Camaro is insane. You could end up with a good deal on slightly used parts that could be of greater quality than the new stuff you're looking at right now.

I am already registered on a couple of those sites but haven't replied in many years. Lateral-G.net is an excellent site. Might have to lurke around in that site again.

I need to do this coil over conversion fairly soon because once the cold weather starts creeping in, I lose all motivation to work on the car. So I need to do this by the end of September before GTA5 comes out. Or at least buy the parts before GTA5 comes out. Once that's comes out, I wont have any motivation. :lol:

I didn't know you were going pro-touring with your Camaro, I love pro-touring muscle cars, good choice.👍

I didn't know you were going pro-touring with your Camaro, I love pro-touring muscle cars, good choice.👍
Thanks. Its been built for pro touring for almost 10 years. I even went on the power tour in 2004. That's also the same year I installed my modern interior and the 6 speed transmission. :)

FINALLY purchased something for the car that I have wanted to buy for at least 9-10 years. QA1 ADJUSTABLE COIL OVERS WITH 18 SETTINGS!!!!!!

The installation was a direct bolt in and went very well. Only took about 2 hours. I cant believe how nice this car rides now! Plus I can raise or lower the car whenever I want. Currently I have the shocks set at level 3 out of 18 and it rides very nice. Probably set it to around 6 or higher when I take it to the road tracks. New sway bar and end links will be next year. :)

2r2172h.jpg

24zb389.jpg

2mopeko.jpg

2j633tw.jpg

k3qa2r.jpg

1z69k5z.jpg

Oh man. That is awesome. I kind of regret not getting a classic muscle car instead of the Corvette..... Bah!

Thank you! I love your car too! :lol: I just have a thing for pro touring. I
need to turn the LT1 in my F body into a 383 some day!
I truly LOVE the 383 stroker. I have owned many engines in my lifetime. Ford chevy dodge, olds, Pontiac, most everything and this 383 has been my favorite. The weight of a small block with the power of a big block. And very affordable to build. Just win win. You wont be disappointed if you decide to go with the 383.

Nice suspension upgrade! Pro Touring FTW!
Thank you. Cant wait to get a new sway bar and end links next year too.

Finally, man. Night and day at track. When are you gonna take it to course again?
I am aiming for early next year 2014. Probably April or May. Whenever my group runs at Grattan again.

I still have a few issues to resolve before I hit the track.

1. Currently have an electrical wire shorting out somewhere making the car very hard to start. Been like this since I installed the FRONT lower LED marker lights. I think a wire got fried somehow.
2. Passenger upper control arm bushing needs replaced.
3. Rear diff leaks out of the front pinion bearing seal. This will be fairly difficult.
4. My Wilwood H composite brake pads for the road track are getting wore out.
5. Rear trans leak. I will do this when I do the rear axle seal. (This is a very easy $2.00 fix)
6. Power steering pump is at 45 degrees and always bothered me. Might not be too bad to fix.
7. Header wrap.

The bold items are my top priorities before hitting the track in 2014.

Last edited:
Looking good Adam 👍

One of these days I'll actually make it out to Grattan, although now that I live like 30-40 minutes from there it'll make it way easier.

Looking good Adam 👍

One of these days I'll actually make it out to Grattan, although now that I live like 30-40 minutes from there it'll make it way easier.
Thank you. I would love to take you for a ride one of these days. Wouldn't be the first time a member from GTplanet went for a ride in my car at Grattan. :)
If you bring the Neon you will have to take me for a ride in that.

Camaro has been running a bit rough lately so I ordered a couple new parts yesterday and will post pics next week.

Well now that the 67 Fastback Mustang is gone, I can put the WRX and Camaro side by side in the garage. :)

2d18r2h.jpg

10wu26p.jpg

2ufy1zo.jpg

I currently have the Camaro at my neighbors shop and we are going to do a few things to prep it for winter. I am closing off the cowl completely to prevent air from entering the car. Also going to redo the mufflers to get them tucked up better into the bottom of the car. Will also replace rear transmission seal, check rear diff fluid, and a few other things.

317k2tw.jpg

v8390k.jpg

Snapped a starter bolt off so that was a pain to fix. Also redoing the entire wiper assembly since the cowl is out. Snapped 3 out of 4 of the wiper bolts. So had to heat up and extract those. Also Lubing all the moving parts and painting.

2ze9v89.jpg

Tow hooks. One for the front one for the rear for road track racing. Just for piece of mind. About $10.00 each. I plan to make brackets for these this week. I will explain this more after the install.

211ruh0.jpg

2elsbgm.jpg

5fqlaa.jpg

24cumat.jpg

MSD 8.5mm Plug wires. $90.00. Wire looms to hide and organize the wires. Love these things! $30.00 for the pair. These turned out so awesome. I will eventually get engine pics next year once I get it all cleaned up.

Last edited:
Did the looms come with the wires or did you buy them separate? The last set I got from Accel had them.

Did the looms come with the wires or did you buy them separate? The last set I got from Accel had them.
I bought the looms separate. I needed extra long wires for what I did.

Looms $30.00
MSD 8.5mm black wires $90.00 (custom kit that has to be built to go behind valve covers. Took me about 2 hours to build all the wires and install them into the car. )

They look similar to this once installed. NOT my engine. I wish my engine looked this good.
2q9givb.png

Finally fixed the strange starting problem with the Camaro. If it sat for 5 minutes it was fine. If it say for 20 minutes it was fine. But if it sat for about 15 minutes after being warm, it would not start. Long story short, it ended up being the MSD distributor cap AND rotor. The cap was actually melted and was hitting the rotor a few times. So its fine now and I have been daily driving it again.

Bad distributor cap and rotor with new.
1.png 2.pngparts.png

Built this vent out of brass for the transition between the old 69 Camaro heater box and the new 2002 TA dash. Also had to seal up the cowl, firewall, and several other parts of the Camaro so it was warmer in this cold weather. Usually the Camaro is driven in very warm weather on road tracks and is very well ventilated. So I had to seal up everything for the cold. Since my WRX is still in the shop. Heater actually works decent now in the Camaro.

IMG_20131026_103813.jpg IMG_20131026_105809.jpg

Plus my Camaro has a buddy for a few days. My neighbors son is on leave from the Navy and this is his Viper. I got to drive it Saturday. 650 hp! :)

IMG_20131102_160029.jpg

IMG_20131102_160013.jpg
IMG_20131102_161012.jpg
IMG_20131102_161049.jpg
IMG_20131102_161024.jpg
IMG_20131102_183144.jpg

Last edited:
Back