NBA 2011-2012 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 924 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lakers should be re-named to something related to movie stars or Hollywood. Right now the only "star" related team in LA is the Galaxy. LA Dodgers isn't really an area specific name, but it kinda works. There are some trollies in LA but it's not like Brooklyn.

I wish they didn't go the way they did, but at the same time, I think changing the name kills the franchise rep for me? I don't know if that make sense to you guys?

OKC Thunder, to me is Sonics. Yeah, they say that they will restore Sonics in Seattle again, but that's not the Sonics. Sonic personnel are in OKC. :dopey: At least Seattle got to keep the Sonics history & title in the town, so I guess that was best for everyone involved......

This is why I quit following NBA(completely). I was just watching the Heat/Knicks just for a bit.

Princess James runs into someone out of control, refs call it, but only after the Princess complains about it(!!!!, he's the one who fouled!), and probably something like 3, 4 seconds later. :eek:

Then at the other end, I looked away, but I hear Van Gundy(TV Analyst) commenting on a 3 second call that he was more concerned about the off arm Carmelo used right before that. They show the frigging replay, and Carmelo was swinging that left off arm like he was Babe Ruth. TWICE! Yeah, 3 second call, uh-huh.

If NBA wants the cynics like us to take the game more seriously, at the very least, officiate more consistently. Don't change the rules from quarter to quarter, players to players. Call it across the board. We don't need "certain" players banking points in, padding their superstar status from the free throw line, while the guy defending can't guard him effectively, because he'll get called for foul. NBA can look like borderline professional wrestling sometimes. 👎

The game isn't over yet, but the Rockets don't seem to care about making the playoffs in losing critical matches. We may have to settle for the 2012-2013 season. Right now, we're losing 97-77 with 5:20 left in the game. Funny enough, our next game is here in Houston against this same Denver squad. Rockets are picking a terrible time to fail.

[IPDATE] 101-86. F:censored:ing unacceptable when you still have a chance to make the playoffs. That's now, what... three straight losses? I may have to cheer on my Astros unless the Rockets decide to wake up and start winning for a damned change. This Rockets mediocrity is horrible. Red Rising is nearing its sunset unless they stop failing!!!

Again- we play the same team tomorrow night followed by a trip to Dallas on Wednesday. If we don't make the playoffs this season, we deserve not to go because of bulls:censored: performances most of the season. And you certainly don't keep squandering opportunities in critical moments the way my team is doing. This s:censored: is unacceptable, I don't care who your favorite team is. If they keep tanking when they have a chance to help their playoff cause, you'd be upset too as a fan. This is brutally unacceptable, and I hope SOMEBODY on the Rockets' side finally wakes up so we can actually be relevant again.

Or do you want just the Texans and Dynamo to only be Houston's successful pro teams? COME THE F:censored: ON, ROCKETS!!! Sick of this crap!

Last edited:
Raptors pulverised the Hawks today, right after scrapping it out with the Celtics for a win. For a team with so many injury woes they're sure knocking off some powerful foes lately.:odd:

If the Rockets lose tonight to the team they just lost to last night, our postseason hopes are basically done. Nuggets at Rockets tonight at Toyota Center.

Screw it. We're done. 105-102 as the Rockets lost four straight. No playoffs for Red Rising as we fail again. I'll be back to see the Astros screw up games. F:censored:ing embarrassment for the Rockets. Rest of the season means nothing unless we get into the postseason by luck.

Well, season over (basically) for my boys. Congrats to whomever wins the title. I'm done, and so are my sorry ass Rockets, who decide to f:censored: up opportunity after opportunity in a crucial time of the season. If wholesale changes need to be made so we can actually MAKE the postseason instead of have to watch on TV, so be it. But I'm mad as hell. So would any other fan who loves his/her team and knows they can do much than what they put on the floor. The fans did their best to root on the Rockets, but all the Rockets failed to do was put away the other team.

Okay... my rant is over. Comment away.

I'm upset we lost tonight, but I got to hand it to my Mavs. We made a push in the 4th and forced overtime. Jefferson forced double OT at the last 2 seconds, & Dirk responded with a beautiful 3 to force a 3rd. Very close game, just couldn't close it.

Hmmm......yes, the Hawks did to the Raptors what the Raptors did to the Hawks yesterday, it only took them four and a half quarters to heat up.:P

Rockets go back-to-back starting tonight. Our season is over for all intents and purposes. One Texas team is going to the playoffs; one other may not when Houston goes up to Dallas tonight. Then after that, the Rockets will try to entertain the Hornets in New Orleans tomorrow night. We've lost four straight games and are on life support for any playoff hopes. Meanwhile for Dallas, I hear they'll be playing three games in four days. Yikes!

When I was snooping around Yahoo! Sports, I looked up the team page for the Charlotte Bobcats. They are currently 7-53. Three words sum up the Bobcats from one site I saw- "this team stinks." They've lost 17 straight heading into tonight's match at Chicago. Worst in the East at the best in the East. As the saying goes- it's only funny as long as it's not happening to you. So I can feel confident chatting about the sorry Bobcats.

One other thing I read was that there was a possibility the Charlotte Bobcats COULD be renamed the team most other people know- the Charlotte Hornets. I know New Orleans is considering a new team name, so imagine a rebirth of the Bobcats. Maybe even go back to the teal/purple/white colors for the Charlotte team. What do you think about this?

Enjoy this Ball Night!

As long as it's not Team Charlotte Lotus Hornets, I'm okay with that.

I won't even bother watching any other Rockets game this season. We're done after f:censored:ing up another one in Dallas. Even in a condensed season, and even with a new "Be the Fuel" fan campaign; Rockets are basically done. Another fail season. So we're playing for the 2012-2013 season unless we somehow get in by luck.

Remaining opponents: at Hornets (tomorrow night), vs. Warriors, at Heat, vs. Hornets.

But who cares? We're done. Season over. Better luck next year. Congrats to the champs and all who get into this season's playoffs. Going to go root on my failing Astros now...

Guaranteed done now... Hornets basically made us prepare for the 2012-2013 season. We apparently lost 105-99 at the Hornets in Overtime. I'm f:censored:ing disappointed at my Rockets. It was not too long ago the Rockets named their Team of the 2000s- Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Luis Scola, Shane Battier, and Steve Francis. Well, that team could have done much better (even in Overtime) against the Hornets. Sure Stavingo is happy his Hornets won, but I'm pissed as a Rockets fan. This Rockets' loss put Dallas in the playoffs.

I went on a semi-epic rage on Facebook on the Rockets' fan page, mostly saying that they'll need to make wholesale changes if they have to. It is a damned shame the Rockets have been mediocre even since T-Mac and Yao were no longer the center pieces for Red Rising. We're more mediocre than sorry. I'm not watching any more Rockets games (maybe the final game vs. the Hornets) this season- we're done. Who cares? No playoffs. Love my team, but it means nothing if we're not going to any postseason play.

End of story. We'll likely get our butts handed to in our next game at Miami this Sunday, so I won't even be mad when we lose on Sunday.

Didn't get to watch the game against rockets and hornets, but it must've been interesting if it went to overtime.

Here are the current playoff alignments heading into tonight's matches (! = division winner):

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
01 - Chicago!
02 - Miami!
03 - Indiana
04 - Boston!
05 - Atlanta
06 - Orlando
07 - New York
08 - (Philadelphia currently in the 8th spot)

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
01 - San Antonio!
02 - Oklahoma City!
03 - Los Angeles Lakers
04 - Los Angeles Clippers
05 - Memphis
06 - Dallas
07 - (Denver currently in 7th)
08 - (Phoenix currently in 8th)

Lot of teams still in it. Playoffs start next week. And man- checking the Rockets' Facebook fan page, lot of people are upset at how my boys are playing, especially after dropping the game at New Orleans last night. Comments ranged from "fire (this guy)" to "choke artists" and things like that. The biggest showcase of fair weather fans are usually on Facebook. So if you use Facebook and you love a certain team, get to see how others respond to issues involving your favorite team(s).

Enjoy another NBA Ball Night, folks!

Well for my Hornets on the Facebook side of things, I think it's very clear by now we're in a rebuilding phase :lol:

Many teams still have about two or three games left. A few others still in the mix are playing for conference championships and playoff spots. Good luck to your team(s) if there is still hope for your team.

Maybe a stunner from yesterday was the Wizards beating the Heat in Miami. Oh, and my Rockets somehow won last night 99-96 to snap their six-game losing streak. Still, our faint hopeless season ends tonight at Miami (pending miracles). New York at Atlanta is going on right now. Later today is Thunder at Lakers. The Lakers can win the Pacific if they beat OKC and if the Clippers lose their game.

Lot of playoff stories, but there is still lots of basketball to play. Good luck to all of your team(s).

As predicted- season over. We're now basically playing to finish .500 against the Hornets. Rockets failed 97-88. I didn't watch the game because of course, I didn't care to watch since we were done.

So it doesn't matter what we do against the Hornets- win or lose. All we're doing is getting ready for next season. I'm still proud of my Rockets, but damned disappointed the Rockets fell on their faces in such crucial times. You don't fail the way we did when we had a chance to secure a playoff berth. Losing six straight (all four games against key opponents) does NOT tell me "playoff-bound." Here's a different example. When my Texans of the NFL had to win all four of their remaining games in the 2010 season to help their playoff hopes, they did just that- all for Cincinnati to do absolutely nothing at the Jets on Sunday Night Football. Still- they won when they had to win. The 2011 Rockets, however, failed in a crucial stretch. And I'm damned angry. Never mind that our 66-game Odyssey had to begin in Orlando (guaranteed loss). The Rockets could have done more and could have won some more games to better their chances rather than screw it all up in a critical stretch.

Middle of the road teams are... middle of the road. And unless the Rockets want to get back on the highway of playoffs and being a true contender, LOTS of changes may have to be made. Enjoy WATCHING the playoffs rather than be in them, Rockets... again. :(

Man, looks like Hornets are gonna suck next year, Eric Gordon has apparently turned down an extension offer.

But surely we should be able to keep him right?

Stavingo
Man, looks like Hornets are gonna suck next year, Eric Gordon has apparently turned down an extension offer.

But surely we should be able to keep him right?

I think the Hornets can match any offer that he gets (not 100% sure about that.) The worst I see happening is a sign and trade where the Hornets get some picks and/or young players.

Did you all see the elbow Ron Ar... uh, Metta World Peace put on James Harden(?)? What do you think the punishment should be for that incident? Do you think that was a real Flagrant-2 Foul or a complete accident?

Did you all see the elbow Ron Ar... uh, Metta World Peace put on James Harden(?)? What do you think the punishment should be for that incident? Do you think that was a real Flagrant-2 Foul or a complete accident?

Would not be surprised if he missed the entire playoffs.

That's what happens. Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

After hearing so much about it, I had to check out the video. Artest(whatever) completes a play, on the way back, he's celebrating by thumping his chest. So while Artest is thumping, Harden bumps into him, Artest throws a high-elbow as the two are still together.

Here's the thing. Artest is a punk. He is also crazy, and I'm 100% sure that it is no act(I still don't buy Rodman, I think he's a phony). So Harden, who is sort of a flashy punk wannabe anyways, he decides to bump into Artest during his celebration? Not very bright.

Don't get me wrong, the elbow is still COMPLETELY uncalled for, and Artest should be suspended immediately. However, I am totally shocked, because while everybody is talking about the "elbow", not once did I hear about what instigated it. Knowing how big of nut Artest is, I thought he probably did it for no reason. Wow, not a good move by Harden, and for what? :crazy:

I saw no malicious intent at all. However, you just look at the elbow and how he delivered it, it was almost as if the guy semi-intentionally delivered his elbow to James Harden's temple. I thought it was a complete accident (and I'm not just saying that because World Peace used to be with the Rockets), but he really sort of looked like he delivered the elbow with malicious intent. It was still a nasty elbow shot to the head.

Later tonight is Suns at Jazz to determine [what my Rockets should have been playing for had they not f:censored:ed up in a critical point of the season to secure a playoff spot-] the 8th seed in the West. A number of games are going on now, including Heat at Celtics. One game wrapped up so far- Atlanta beat the L.A. Clippers 109-102 in Atlanta, so I guess the Lakers will win the Pacific Division with this loss by LAC.

I thought five game suspension would be about right, due to Artest's priors, and because it was to the head. However, I thought the league had to pad it to seven to please the crowd. Official result: Seven.

Guys at work was like "ten games!", I'm totally going "ha!" in their faces tomorrow. :D

On the "intentions", I think it was fully intended, but maybe not as high, hard, and since it was sort of a no-look, he probably didn't know if it would fully connect for sure. I think the incident is as simple as Artest celebrating, Harden got little too friendly with him, and Artest reacting the way he often has in the past. If that happened to me on the court, I'd lower the shoulder and knock the guy off-balance. Not swing at him, or knock him down, but definitely send the message(if the guy was my size or smaller lol).

What's been done, is done.

Now the Lakers will have to face a fiesty opponent in the first round without Meta World War anchoring the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back