Need For Speed: Carbon (New XBOX 360 screens up!)

• Thread starter GT Pro
  • 169 comments
Poverty
those graphics look crap for next gen.

I agree, although I have seen a few next-gen games bearing the same sub-standard graphics, doesn't just appear to be EA. At at this point they're only conceptual renderings and still, they have not come to the conclusion to as whether the PS2 will be able to support NFSC.
I will check further into this as soon as I can.👍

franz
It is boring but at least it is one of the best arcade racers out there
I probably will give it try ... but most wanted is really disappointed IMO

It wasn't the best, yet it wasn't the worst. Simply because it was lacking many an effort.

Most wanted played horribly, and I expect this to be no different.

I'll stick with Sims and arcade racers that are actually fun (BURNOUT).

most of those screenshots are from the 360 right? so.. i'm hoping the blu-ray or whatever [for ps3] will be better.. cause god knows the graphics from the PS2 version of NFS:MW was worse than the 360 graphics were.

I don't think any shots released are from the PS3 version yet, this is the problem with multi platform releases, they rarely tell you what version the screenshots are actualy from.

i think this kinda think is why i want to buy a PS3, because then, i can get rid of the rest of my playstations.. :D

suzq044
most of those screenshots are from the 360 right? so.. i'm hoping the blu-ray or whatever [for ps3] will be better.. cause god knows the graphics from the PS2 version of NFS:MW was worse than the 360 graphics were.

i´m a huge NFS fan. but this game is looking cr@p, just like most wanted did. it looks like a rushed game. somebody needs to tell EA they don´t need to release a new NFS every year.

you can´t make a good game for next gen in less than a year... if you do that you get bad graphics, not a lot of change, not a lot of depth, and usually, a game that shouldn´t be released. i hope they push this one until 2007 because it looks a lot like a PS2 title...

Yeah i have to say that those screens really can't be PS3. I've been playing loads of NFS:MW recently on my PC and the graphics in MW look better than this. I thought i was in the Playstation 2 section for a moment.

Aside from that, looking forward to another great game 👍 Most Wanted was a really fun game hopefully this'll follow in its footsteps.

This game is not even close to being completed, and you guys make it seem like these are screen shots from the final release. I'm pretty sure that you guys know that games just don't start out on the first day looking beautiful, and running at their peak graphical power. For initial screenshots this game it looks pretty damn good especially for being on new systems that are still very hard to write code, and programs for. Also from reading about the game there will be many race modes, and features that sound very good to me. They have to work on all of these things first. I would rather have a game with great gameplay that look like crap than a game that looks great and plays like crap.

Um, This is EA we are talking about. They usaually never show off a game then change the graphics later. Its due out in 4 months and EA never releases a game days after its finished, its normally finished well before the release. most wanted was revealed at E3 and didnt change any for the final release.

I would rather have a game with great gameplay that look like crap than a game that looks great and plays like crap.

Good for you. A person obsessed with the series wouldn't care about graphics and love whatever they release. I'd rather have a next gen game that looked good and played good if im going to fork over $60+ for a next gen game on a next gen system. but most would agree with my opinion than your's. And Most wanted had crappy unimaginative gameplay mechanics and racing physics. It would have been fine had it not came with a primium price. Its the same with Madden they do very little to make it any different every year but people still buy it at full price. The best imporvement the made was eliminating the competition.

As far as the graphical quality goes, remember this is still effectively a current-gen game. Like Most Wanted, the so-called "next-gen" versions will be nothing more than upgraded current-gen games. Not until EA decides to stop making current-gen games altogether will their graphics finally improve.

Sadly, it'll be just the one improvement.. then they'll just rehash the same game engine for the next five or six years.

Jedi2016
As far as the graphical quality goes, remember this is still effectively a current-gen game. Like Most Wanted, the so-called "next-gen" versions will be nothing more than upgraded current-gen games. Not until EA decides to stop making current-gen games altogether will their graphics finally improve.

Sadly, it'll be just the one improvement.. then they'll just rehash the same game engine for the next five or six years.

you see, that´s the problem. you can call me a EA fan or whatever, but they can make some great games. but this "lets grab every market" aproach its hurting their games.

2 problems for this game: too little time to develop and too many platforms. it can´t be right. much like the sports games, i know it sounds akward, but i would like that they only released one each 2 years, to bring some quality product to the table, you know start from scratch in games like NBA live, that each day is looking and playing worse.

i know this isn´t the final version, but they won´t change the engine. only cosmetic things and a bit more resolution. it won´t get much better than this, which makes a very ordinary looking game

You guys are all welcome to your own opinion, but I will say this. NFS Carbon in its current state was good enough to make it on to the cover of Game Informer Magazine. If you don't like that magazine that is you are also welcome to your opinion. But since they also decided to write a 6 page article on the game, and had nothing but good things to say about it (including he graphics, they even got to play the game - imagine that ), I will take that into consideration when I decide to judge how good I expect the game to be. Please forgive me for holding their opinons in a higher regard than the rest of yours. They are only experts on the subject of video games, and interviewed the creators of the game. They really can't know more about the subject than the rest of you. This is a Need for Speed game, it is an arcade racer. It is not a driving simulator, thats what we have GT4 for. If you have played previous verison of NFS and didn't like it chances are you won't like this one. For the rest of us that do like NFS, I'm sure this will be another game that we will play, and enjoy. If you don't want to spend the $60 when it comes out wait until it makes the greatest hits list and then pay $19.99 for it. No one is forcing you to buy the game.

Auto Modelista was on the cover of a magazine, what does that mean?

Edit: What is your point IceGT, I can have my opinion like you can. Mine is mostly about EA. I've played every Need For Speed game from Porcshe Unleased to V-Rally. If you want to pay full price for half ass games thats your taste. I wont buy it at all if ts not that good reguardless of price. I'm not judging this game, my expectations are very low because of their last effort. I still like Undergrond 2. I'm 27 and being a long time Need For speed fan(owning 8 NFS titles currently) its time for a change and I have the right as a long time fan to be disspleased. You cant tell me just dont buy it, I want improvements so I can enjoy the series again.

LaBounti
Auto Modelista was on the cover of a magazine, what does that mean?

Edit: What is your point IceGT, I can have my opinion like you can. Mine is mostly about EA. I've played every Need For Speed game from Porcshe Unleased to V-Rally. If you want to pay full price for half ass games thats your taste. I wont buy it at all if ts not that good reguardless of price. I'm not judging this game, my expectations are very low because of their last effort. I still like Undergrond 2. I'm 27 and being a long time Need For speed fan(owning 8 NFS titles currently) its time for a change and I have the right as a long time fan to be disspleased. You cant tell me just dont buy it, I want improvements so I can enjoy the series again.

yes, that´s what i was going to say, i´m also a fan since need for speed on the 3DO. i still think high stakes, hot pursuit2 and underground1 were the best games. but most wanted was a half a$$ game that looked rushed.

IGN has a ferature on NFS carbon, and i watched the videos. its OK for current gen, but here´s my point:

this is a PS3 forum, i expect something next gen

from the video, i can tell that: the sound is the same, the visual is built in the same engine as the last game, and we don´t have damage.

what´s up with that? they´ve come the PS3 and they still can´t figure out a way to put damage into the game? c´mon, we deserve better...

i´ll probably buy the game, because i can get it very cheap for PS2, but my complain is that for next gen, it looks (not only the visual) very bad:grumpy:

fasj6418
from the video, i can tell that: the sound is the same, the visual is built in the same engine as the last game, and we don´t have damage.

what´s up with that? they´ve come the PS3 and they still can´t figure out a way to put damage into the game? c´mon, we deserve better...

That's what I was thinking, Hot Pursuit had damage, no matter how dodgy is was, but it still had it, the TOCA series has it, and with the lack of in depth physics coding, surely there is room on the disc for damage (take a look at the data side of the discs, most are only at about 1/2 capacity, if that). I will still get the game, as I enjoy the NFS series, and I even enjoyed Most Wanted (I own MW, and MW:Black Edition).

This is what I am saying, none of you has played the game, not even a demo. You have seen some screen shots, and a video, and have now said that you expect this game to suck based on that. Very uneducated judgement. And I also have NFS MW, and I enjoyed it. It is not the perfect racing game, but I thought it was tons of fun, fine the visuals were not perfect, but the gameplay was worth the money I paid for the game. Also on top of that like I said I will choose to listen to the opinion of people that have played the game, and talked to the games creators (this means they will have a better idea of what the finshed product will look like) over the opinions of people that have only looked at screen shots, and saw some videos. Like I said earlier you are welcome to your opinion, and I am also welcome to have my own. And the thing about not paying full price is only common sense. If you don't think you are going to enjoy, or like something, what is the point of paying a premium price for it (I wouldn't). And if you really want to see a change or what you would call improvements in the game write to EA, if enough people write to EA having the same issues you have with the game, I'm pretty sure they will try to make a change. One more thing, what does your age have to do with anything. I am 25, and I have met many 40 year olds that are not as smart or mature as some 18 year olds.

For you to know that I've been playing NFS games since the frist came out. Were did I judge the game? Most wanted has lowered my expectations of the next "one year later" game. If you notice others agree with me. I never said the game will suck so you must be refering to someone else.

Last note, we can judge the graphics, the game is due out on November 17th. 4 months from now. Carbon is a new game and no one is forcing you to care what people think about screenshots so why even cry over it. You are way too defensive over a game you never played.

I'm not focusing my opinions on what you think. You are doing that to me as if I dont already know what a fanboy would say. I wont add my opinion if you are going to have an immature fit about what I think. Not once did I mention what you think of the game. Your opinions are biased but i did not care to mention it. I didnt have to play a demo to know excactly what Most Wanted would be like but i gave it a chance. I expected more out of the gameplay.

You liked MW, good, you've pointed it out.

LaBounti, I am was not addressing you alone when I made my posts, and if you feel like I am making personal attack against you then I am sorry, because that was not my objective. I am just expressing how I feel about the quick judgement of the game by the people posting in this thread. I have also tried to back up my statements instead of just making random statement without doing some research first. I never said that you could not judge the graphics, I just said you can't judge the game without playing it first.

Also alot of things can change in 4 months. If the game was in the state of it's final release it would be out tomorrow

I'm sorry that you consider me expressing my opinion to be whinning, but I am just calling it as I see it. I am not upset with you for having your own opinion, you are entitled to it. So you should execpt that fact that I am entitled to mine, and we should agree to disagree. If anyone else thinks I am whinning then I am sorry, but I thought I could have an intelligent discussion here about something we are all interested in. I hope that I was not wrong in making that assumption, but you know what they say about assuming.

Its cool, I just dont think you should knock someone's opinion if they are intitled to it no question about it. I dont do that to others so naturally it wouldnt sit well with me. And I never judged the game, I expressed my interest by saying my expectations are low meaning I will give a try the same way I did most Wanted. But please dont question someones opinion when neither party has played the game. You dont need to appologise, its cool.

The graphics wont change much in 4 months. If it does there wasnt much content to work with to start. Once more I never judged the game, just lowered my expectations. By the way I am interested in the PSP verions since it does use a fresh new engine , 6 car races and 29 cars with an open city, better physics and it has my car in it again(Mazda 3 5-Door) from the video developer interview I watched at gamespot.👍

Most wanted handled terribly though, it felt like they were confused about which avenue to persue, be it simulator or arcade...it's too heavy but too slippery.

I've got low expectations as well.

'You are cast as an established racer who got involved in the blacklist shenanigans of Most Wanted, and you're now returning to the game's city to right a wrong that was done to you.'

-Now is it just me or are EA's script writers starting to run out of ideas, oh no wait...that was a long time ago.

'Obviously, taking on racing crews will present a sizable challenge that is more than one man can handle. Fortunately, you'll be able to recruit a posse of wingmen to help you out in your quest. The wingmen will present a unique new twist to the gameplay, as each will offer unique abilities you can call on during a race to give you an edge. What we've heard of so far are blockers, scouts, and drafters. So, for example, you could call on a blocker wingman to help you get past or slow down an opponent. Where things get really interesting with the wingmen, though, are the abilities they'll have outside of a race'

-Blockers? Scouts? Drafters?

'The canyon races are unique two-stage competitions that find you testing your skills against a boss for points. The first leg of the race finds you trying to follow close behind the boss as he races to a finish line at the bottom of a hill. Your goal is to stick as close as possible to him, as you'll earn points based on your proximity. The second leg of the race finds you in the lead, and you'll be trying to put as much distance between you and the boss as you tear down the route again. This time out your points are on the line, as the boss will be draining points from you to varying degrees depending on his proximity to you. Your goal is to reach the finish line with some points intact. Though extremely challenging, the races offer the potential for instant victories if you can manage to meet certain conditions, such as staying in front for a certain amount of time or getting a sizable lead when being followed. You can also lose just as fast if you happen to collide with some of the destructible barriers that are set on parts of the track.'

-Seems slightly interesting...

'Need for Speed Carbon will also feature the return of the drift races that were absent from Most Wanted. This year's take on drifting varies a bit from its previous incarnation, as speed and momentum are the key to insane scores here. As before, you'll test your skills on courses and be required to do all manner of crazy drifting. However, this time, the key to victory are the long, controlled skids that rack up points. You can add multipliers by swinging your back end around as before, but you'll want to do so sparingly so that you maintain momentum.'

-Something Underground 2 beat Most Wanted on.

'Another returning feature with a fresh twist is customization. This time out, Carbon is poised to offer all the expected features seen in previous games. Although the ability to tune your cars isn't quite as deep as that offered in Need for Speed Underground 2, there's a crazy new aspect to that ability here. The big twist this year is "auto sculpting," a Fight Night-esque method of morphing the elements of your car in reality via sliders and the controller's analog sticks. Your wingmen's out-of-race abilities play a part here, and if you have some wingmen that possess the fabricator and mechanic abilities, you'll be able to do more to your cars.'

-Perhaps EA has actually done something right here?

'The dev team took a different approach to making Carbon than the one used for Most Wanted last year. Whereas Most Wanted on the 360 wound up being a beefed-up version of the current-gen game, this time out, the team planned the features for the next-gen titles first, and then scaled back as needed for the current games. This has led to a better fit on the 360 and a pretty ambitious offering on current-gen systems as well. While the team hasn't opened the kimono on everything the game will offer across all the platforms, from the sound of things, no version is going to be maimed or left wanting. As far as the PlayStation 3 and Wii versions go, the team would only say that, in those cases, the distinguishing features would revolve around the features of each platform.'

-By the sounds of things, one of the multiple platforms NFSC will be released on is the PS3. 👍

Everytime I see something made by EA (especially racing and sport games), I always think it's gonna be rushed, and then I think of Microsoft, WTh?:sly:

Back