Need help with PC#2. *Update 3/27/14* No luck. I am done.

I will have to check tonight. I am thinking it must be somewhat working because the only video cable I have plugged in is into this video card via HDMI. But it wont let me play any games. And graphically it is much worse. I guess I will try to find the drivers tonight even if that means creating an account on their site.

It's strange that the ATI website doesn't have drivers for this model.

Try the link I posted, it autodetects the device and downloads the correct drivers.

"Graphically much worse", do you mean the resolution is super low but scaled to fill your screen, making things look pixelated? If I remove the drivers for my graphics card I get the same thing, so that's not a sign of the card malfunctioning, just a symptom of the drivers not being installed. I'd make absolutely sure there's no power connectors you're missing if @DQuaN's link doesn't work for you, a friend of mine had this exact same problem with his GTX 760 because he didn't realise both PCIe connectors had to be used at the same time, the card would put out a low resolution display but the driver software couldn't see it.

"Graphically much worse", do you mean the resolution is super low but scaled to fill your screen, making things look pixelated? If I remove the drivers for my graphics card I get the same thing, so that's not a sign of the card malfunctioning, just a symptom of the drivers not being installed. I'd make absolutely sure there's no power connectors you're missing if @DQuaN's link doesn't work for you, a friend of mine had this exact same problem with his GTX 760 because he didn't realise both PCIe connectors had to be used at the same time, the card would put out a low resolution display but the driver software couldn't see it.

Looking at the picture, it doesn't look like this card requires any additional power.

Just dull looking and yes a lot more pixelated. But its because the card has not properly installed yet. So I am guessing it is only running on a small portion of the card. Not sure how that works.
As for other connectors or power, I posted pics here and its a very simple card with nothing else to attach to. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...graphics-card-didnt-work.304990/#post-9469786
The card is a Radeon R5 230. Has no fans and should not require any extra power.

Last edited:
It's because the PC is using generic display drivers that cannot utilize the full power of the card. Once you have the proper ATI drivers on there it should look much better.

That's what I thought too. I am very excited to get this working. The older games AOE3 and B&W2 already looked pretty decent on PC#2. But dang if I get this card working I think I will be able to run full settings and I will truly be happy. Just have to get the driver situation worked out...Hopefully.

Last edited:
Did the card not come with a cd with drivers on it?
Came with a CD but its not recognizing the disc or the video card. This is what I get right after I put the disc in. Every time I click after that, it says to visit their site for the drivers. I went to their site. And no drivers are on their site for this card. All the pics are in post#27.

img_20140317_211317-jpg.129576

Hmmm nothing happening. This is just getting frustrating. Seems I just need the drivers. Keeps telling me to make an account on their site.

This is the answer to your question earlier.

screenshot.png

I am just going to get the next graphics card and return this one. I am bringing the pc to my friends and let him install it on friday.

*update*
Well I took out the graphics card and decided to look at the power supply. It is only 220w. This card requires at least 500w. The power supply says do not exceed 220w for this pc. So now I really am not sure what I am doing with this pc. :ouch::dunce:

500w doesn't sound right for such a tiny card. 220w is very low though.

I agree that seems like an awful lot for that card, because technically that card isn't very powerful.

I just checked the specs on bestbuy's site and it does call for a 450w or greater psu.

The side of the box said "Minimum 500w". So any suggestions? I am bringing both pcs to my friends house on Friday one last time to see what we can come up with. After that I give up and will just keep PC#2 the way it is.

If I get the next step up in graphics card I am guessing it will need an even larger power supply?

I've looked through this: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

No where seems to have this card so I selected an R7 240 and it said you only need minimum 170w and recommended 220w for the whole PC.

*edit*
Here is an R7 240 http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/amdradeongraphicscards/amdr7240series/r72402gd3lp.html

They are pretty cheap. I'm still sure your current one is fine and we just need to get drivers on to it.

I think it may be a bestbuy only type deal. they list it on there site with some specs. I think it may be similar to a xfx 6670 i once had.

@CAMAROBOY69, I recommend getting something like this for your second PC: Link

Then you will get similar performance to Xbox One regarding gaming so something like Titanfall should run well on it. Best graphics card out is Nvidia GTX 750 Ti for your kind of PC but as it is new, might be hard to find at the moment in low profile size.

@CAMAROBOY69, I recommend getting something like this for your second PC: Link
Then you will get similar performance to Xbox One regarding gaming so something like Titanfall should run well on it. Best graphics card out is Nvidia GTX 750 Ti for your kind of PC but as it is new, might be hard to find at the moment in low profile size.
That seems decent and requires 300w or greater. So might work.

I am going to stop at Best Buy and see if I can find a card that is a downgrade from the card R5 230. The R5 just seems like overkill for what I want to run. I really only need a slight boost over the stock specs. Just good enough so I can run AOE3 and B&W2 in full settings. I don't need anything crazy by any means.

That seems decent and requires 300w or greater. So might work.

I am going to stop at Best Buy and see if I can find a card that is a downgrade from the card R5 230. The R5 just seems like overkill for what I want to run. I really only need a slight boost over the stock specs. Just good enough so I can run AOE3 and B&W2 in full settings. I don't need anything crazy by any means.
Good thing about it would be that it gives you options on playing all PC games at very high settings so if you ever wanted to play say some of the new PC sims, it should run it comfortably.

I had a quick look on Best Buy and most of the graphics card that are low profile seem quite old, the one I linked to if you want to spend the extra money on is the most powerful one on there. If you don't want that capability then best to buy from online some retailers with newer GPU technology, something like this will do a good job and take very little power to run: Link

It will improve things but I think you're being a bit optimistic about xbox 360 graphics and running all sims or games at very high settings.

In fact, you're way off the mark. Low settings at best for really modern games, especially sims.

It will improve things but I think you're being a bit optimistic about xbox 360 graphics and running all sims or games at very high settings.

In fact, you're way off the mark. Low settings at best for really modern games, especially sims.
It will be much better than Xbox 360 graphics, it will be comparable on performance to Xbox One. Might give probably a better experience than Xbox One for Titanfall game potentially.

Might give probably a better experience than Xbox One for Titanfall game potentially.
As @DQuaN said, that's incorrect. The 360 is akin to a 7800/7900 GTX, which places it barely above Intel's integrated HD4000 graphics. Having a PC that was running HD4000, I can tell you that anything more intensive than a ~5 year old game would slow considerably.

As for the XBone, its equivalent is the 7850, which places it on the same tier as the 750Ti. You have to keep in mind, though, that the games for the 360 and XBone are optimized specifically for those devices, meaning that they will be more efficient at their jobs than the graphics card in a PC.

TB
As @DQuaN said, that's incorrect. The 360 is akin to a 7800/7900 GTX, which places it barely above Intel's integrated HD4000 graphics. Having a PC that was running HD4000, I can tell you that anything more intensive than a ~5 year old game would slow considerably.

As for the XBone, its equivalent is the 7850, which places it on the same tier as the 750Ti. You have to keep in mind, though, that the games for the 360 and XBone are optimized specifically for those devices, meaning that they will be more efficient at their jobs than the graphics card in a PC.
HD4000 can play games quite well if you run it on correct settings for GPU, I manage to run quite a number of new games on it. Anyway I did not say anything about that.

I am talking about a HD 7750 giving a similar experience to Xbox One. Also the 7850 you say is considerably more powerful than the Xbox One, it is similar to PS4 in performance but PS4 is more like a R9 290 with lower clocks and CUs. Xbox One is probably like the 7790 with lower clocks and CUs. Also from what I have seen on games released on Xbox One, games compared to similar performance PC GPU, Xbox One has its bottlenecks that something like a 7750 gives very similar performance to it currently. Look at YouTube for example, game like Titanfall runs really well even at 1080p.

Anyway @CAMAROBOY69 the Nvidia Kepler GT 630 deal I linked to earlier seems to have sold out at Amazon, I think it worked out as $49.99 with the coupon and would have offered a good balance in performance and power consumption. Hopefully you managed to buy it, if not you can still buy it for price without coupon discount: Link

Latest Posts

Back