New GT5 A-spec Matchmaker Spreadsheet

• Thread starter calan_svc
  • 115 comments
I've been playing with this a bit this evening trying to figure out the weirdness with the "show all cars" button from the "car list" sheet in Office 2010 Pro. All other buttons work perfectly on the "car list" sheet. When you select the "show all cars" radio button it executes the action to show the whole database and at the same time it throws all of the new buttons on the left into cell A1 with the event target p/w ratio = XXX on top. At this point you can select the cell and go to the selection pane and toggle each button on/off with the hide/unhide command. They are there, just layered on top of one another in the same cell! They still work when you click them but for some reason 2010 just doesn't like the layout as is and throws them all together on this view.
I fiddled with view settings trying different sizes etc and couldn't get any love.
Once the "show all cars button" is pressed I see no way to correct the issue other than closing the sheet without saving and reopening.

I was hoping I'd be able to come up with something to remedy this little bug but no luck.

This is definitely not a deal breaker with this sheet though as its quite fantastic and I've had a superb amount of great races just using the sliders to adjust difficulty. Using the p/w ratio does seem to be quite the trick to getting good even races.

Edit to say it works fine on 2010 for me after enabling macros, I just see this as a minor nuisance bug.

@swervedriver

Thanks much for that. Any suggestions as to how I could fix it to work better on 2010? (I don't have a copy of it myself).

I'm currently bouncing around the idea of doing a reverse lookup. Now that I've played the game a lot more, I find myself wanting to find good races for a specific car, rather than the other way around. With the display problem and a semi-lack of interest (and lack of time), I haven't really pursued it yet.

I wish I had enough skills to dig into it deeper but sadly I do not. It really does work perfectly otherwise, I just leave the select view open on the sheet so I can access those commands (sheet views) at will if needed. I couldn't really find a way to unlock those sheet views but I'm pretty much a 2010 newbie.

The reverse lookup sounds like it would be sweet. Maybe the lack of interest is because the thread got buried a bit or maybe most folks are just powering through A-spec with overpowered cars at the moment to level. I'll take these fun races that I can easily lose with a bad off or spin to being in the lead after the first corner any day.

Great work!! I have some experience writing VBA code and will look into setting up the race for a specific car thing with your permission.

@gambleboyen

I had the same thing happen in Office 2010. After you hit "Find Matches!" Go to the P/W column and press that filter button from there go to Number Filters->Between then you'll see the values that Mr calan_svc programmed for you and just select OK again and then you'll see the list 👍

P.S. Great work calan_svc !!

I love this idea and I wish I could use it. Since I have open office I can't though. No fault to the OP/author of course, but I wish some motivated soul will code it into a web application... please :)

Great work. Now if only it were a web app. That was linked to the Tuner Wiki. That would be too sweet. I am just dreaming. Actually for the person with the right tools and experience this sort of thing is trivial.

Thanks...glad you guys are getting some use out of it. ;)

I'm currently working on an update that takes tire choice into consideration; but it gets a bit complicated and I'm not sure which way to go with it yet. Check out this thread for an idea of what is driving my madness:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160821

Every a-spec event uses a specific tire type for the AI cars (which drastically affects how much competition they are), and every car has a best tire choice to match it's grip to what it should be IRL. So I'm trying to figure out the best way to tie that in with the P/W ratings on the spreadsheet.

Still lots of testing to do. :)

New version uploaded (1.5). The file has been renamed to include the version number, so as not to over-write your existing spreadsheet. (You will need to copy and paste your current car data into the new sheet).

Version 1.5 changes:

1. Added the tire type to the events list. When selecting a car, equip it with the correct tire for the best match-ups.

2. Added an option to only search cars that are favorites. There is a new field on the car page for marking which cars are favorites.

3. Added two User fields to the car list, to do with as you see fit.

4. Added blank rows to the car list, to be used for your own custom car creations. The empty rows are marked with "Z" as the Make, and appear at the bottom of the list. Just copy an existing car and modify it as appropriate, or start fron scratch. (Note that I name my cars with an underscore at the beginning, which keeps them at the top when the list is sorted by Make).

5. Fixed a few HP/weight numbers in the car list.

Last edited:
I would also love using this so much!
I don't get why it does not work with OpenOffice.
Up until now I never had problems with any MS Office documents, even not with any .docx, .xlsx and so forth.
Are there no brains who probably managed to get it working with OO or know where the problem could be?
I can open the spreadsheet, but when I try to click on one of the buttons it doesn't do anything.

Damn it... found an issue with the first upload caused by the new "Tires" column; fixed.

Apologies to anyone that downloaded it and has already copied cars over in the last couple of hours. :)

Hi calan_svc, This piece of excellent work just got better with the 1.5 update, it has made racing in GT5 much more fun.

Yeah, this spreadsheet is the real deal. I started laughing with glee when I got a competitive race in the beginners Vitz race. The Vitz race.

Did I mention the Vitz race?

LOL, this is a great tool.

Hi Calan,

Firstly, this is an outstanding resource congratulations on an outstanding job 👍

Secondly, I've decided to do some fiddling around with Excel myself and I'm trying to find a list of all cars in the game with as much of the car data as possible...it seems your spreadsheet has more data and is easier to use than Famine's one here or Fido's one here. However...I noticed with your latest update than when I "Show All Cars"...I only get 1116 cars whereas your old version showed 1031?!? You mentioned updating some of the data so I suspect 1.5 is more correct than older versions but I was wondering if you could explain why I'm unable to see all cars?

Cheers 👍

Incredible!! I am working on a 'caveman' version of this too but my xls skills are at about the 2nd grade level. What I like to do is go online and join races that have limits. The limits are typically not listed in power/weight ratio's but say have a 1050kg limit and a 450hp limit. The way I've set mine up (again it's very rudimentary) I click on the column that deliniates whether or not I own the car (Y in the box) then I click the "Sort" button (A over Z w/down arrow next to it) Then all the cars that I own are at the top. I then copy/paste that selection into a blank XL sheet so I can sort just by the cars I own. Then I click or organize by weight, I go to the specific weight region that's allowed..(and above) and see which car I'd like to take. I can scroll through all the weights as it doesn' just show 1100kgs. This is a good thing though as there might be a car that's 1150 or 1200kg's that a far better match for the specific race I'm in.

Again, I'm pretty (VERY ) new to XL so this is the only way I could figure to do it.

If I knew how, I'd create filter buttons like this:

Master list of all cars.
Click on "Own" - Now only the cars I own are displayed
Click on "Race" - Now only "Race" cars are displayed
Click on weight - all cars displayed are sorted by weight, lightest to heaviest with my horsepower columns correctly corresponding to each car. I have added columns in mine for the min power of each car (All mods that can be removed, taken off) and Max HP (All mods that I specifically have bought for this car and the HP Number they reach) and a PR/Weight ratio column for each of those two columns. Those are more for informational purposes though. As you probably figured out, these are not the generic "Stock" figures but what my game displays in the garage. I have tried to either change oil on low mileage cars or refresh higher mileage cars to get the most accurate 'standard' numbers.

OR.. any variation of the above filters w/out having to copy/paste into another blank sheet.

I don't just have one version of each car listed as I have several (No mods, slight mods, heavy mods) versions of almost every car I own.

I'm using this game as an excuse to try and learn more about .xls files. Perhaps with some input from some of you XL guru's I can accomplish this! I may copy your files so I can see the formula's and how the 'buttons' work. (If it's possible to reverse engineer that stuff?)

Anyway, thanks for putting this together. It's extrememly impressive but I'm trying to put something together that meets my specific needs.

Cheers!

Walt.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Hi Calan,

Firstly, this is an outstanding resource congratulations on an outstanding job 👍

Secondly, I've decided to do some fiddling around with Excel myself and I'm trying to find a list of all cars in the game with as much of the car data as possible...it seems your spreadsheet has more data and is easier to use than Famine's one here or Fido's one here. However...I noticed with your latest update than when I "Show All Cars"...I only get 1116 cars whereas your old version showed 1031?!? You mentioned updating some of the data so I suspect 1.5 is more correct than older versions but I was wondering if you could explain why I'm unable to see all cars?

Cheers 👍

You're seeing the actual 1031 cars in the game, plus the extra empty rows I added for your own creations. (1116 is larger than 1031 :P).

@ Walt...

In my sheet, if you click on "Show data filters" (which is the same button as "Show All Cars"), it will display small arrows at the top of each field. By clicking those, you can filter the data any way you want.

I am adding more quick-filter buttons to the next version though.

Back