New race mods?

• Thread starter JamboGT
  • 152 comments
I don't care if the RX-7, R34 and R35 GT-R, and the new Impreza are the only new RM cars here...

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY PD

Did you read the Playstation blog? It might make you kinda happy because it says that all the new content will be FREE

tazj_7
Did you read the Playstation blog? It might make you kinda happy because it says that all the new content will be FREE

It said the update is free. It said nothing about the DLC being free. ;)

I could care less, this will be the first time paid dlc will be for GT5. Besides the other mediocre offers like special cars (schick), stealth cars (which I hope are available) etc. I'll pay for GT4 tracks and new race cars and whatever else.

As much as I defend this game, I agree with the above. As someone who has worked in the automotive aftermarket industry for the last 5 years, I totally agree.

Edit: We need product branding too.

No, we don't need product branding, even FM dumped that idea right after it made an appearance in FM2, it's no where to be found in FM3 and I doubt it will be in FM4. Too much money to have company names emblazoned on what is a generic part, no need for that nonsense. What they can add is ECU mapping that way we can change where and when the power comes in. Lots of things can be added but this is a game for the masses to play and enjoy without getting confused about all the bells and whistles. PD will have to do more research on how to make it a deep entree for the gear heads but still accessible to the average joe to wrap his brain around.

Ok, I am tired of explaining this, forget about brakes. For people who claim to know about cars, why is it no one gets it through their heads that upgraded brake kits do not stop your car faster(unless you go from drum to disc). Brake kits only offer anti-fade protection and lighter weight(slight weight loss), the only reason you will see faster stops is because the brake kits reach optimal temps faster than conventional and remain fade free after repeated stops. PD I don't think they modeled brake fade to warrant using brake kits, so quit it with the brake kit talk it's moot for now.

The "Race Pack" might be the RM for many of the cars that are already in the game, hopefully that means even more cars can be race worthy. They did say other things will be coming via DLC, could be anything just hope it isn't racing gloves or more helmets and suits.

Carbon ceramic brakes will be lighter, and perform better, that much is certain. So if they added a 'carbon brake kit' option, it would help with braking. There's no doubt that 'racing brakes' are much better than normal brakes on street cars.

Carbon ceramic brakes will be lighter, and perform better, that much is certain. So if they added a 'carbon brake kit' option, it would help with braking. There's no doubt that 'racing brakes' are much better than normal brakes on street cars.

If you have any new car, chances are that if you slam on the brakes, it will lock up all four wheels. Any increase in this braking power (often something like 600-700hp on even mundane cars) will not increase effective braking at all. Ever notice that braking distances between supercars and 'normal' cars are almost identical? Usually between 100 and 120ft. The improvement in braking systems comes not from decreased stopping distances (more to do with tires than actual brakes) but the repeatability of maximum or near-maximum braking. That is why carbon brakes are used on race cars, they simply do not fade.

Anyone else notice the 5th car in the shot? Just behind the Subaru. It's really impossible to tell, but for some reason I'm thinking Dodge Viper GTS:

6214248444_f7391bf9ef_o.jpg

Better as in making your car stop faster? Please prove that theory of yours as in real life this has not been the case, brake kits only stave off fade and reach optimum working temps to work as they should from start to finish of a race. Stop making assumptions about things as if they are truth. This is the reason why PD most likely left out the brake upgrade kit, aside from a 5-10kg weight loss, your car will stop no faster than it did with it's original brakes. Go read about brakes and brake kits and what brake upgrades really mean. Until PD adds brake fade to the mix in GT5, brake kits are pretty pointless. Weight of the vehicle, weight shift control and tires are more important in a car stopping quickly.

If brake fade was in, it would have been intense to start out racing and by lap for in your stock Ford Mustang your brakes don't work quite as well, lol. You would definitely start using engine braking more to let your brakes cool, but then PD would have to model pitted disc(well disc surface getting carbon build up) too much crap for now.

There was an episode on top gear where I think the Merc Mclaren SLR had carbon ceramic brakes.Did a brake test.
Instead of 60 mph to 0 in (what I think 100 or 200 feet ?)
He went I think 100+ to 0 and stopped well short.
But you know its Top Gear so .... yea :)

Carbon brakes are essentially fade resistant and offer more stopping power too over normal ferrous discs.

Could that car in the far distance behind the Subie be a Dodge Challenger?

If you have any new car, chances are that if you slam on the brakes, it will lock up all four wheels. Any increase in this braking power (often something like 600-700hp on even mundane cars) will not increase effective braking at all. Ever notice that braking distances between supercars and 'normal' cars are almost identical? Usually between 100 and 120ft. The improvement in braking systems comes not from decreased stopping distances (more to do with tires than actual brakes) but the repeatability of maximum or near-maximum braking. That is why carbon brakes are used on race cars, they simply do not fade.

Anyone else notice the 5th car in the shot? Just behind the Subaru. It's really impossible to tell, but for some reason I'm thinking Dodge Viper GTS:

How could anyone possibly tell what car that is? lol.

I had a good lol at your assumption on brakes too.

How could anyone possibly tell what car that is? lol.

I had a good lol at your assumption on brakes too.

He was right about everything. About the only thing you could fault him on is that brakes on modern cars won't lock up because ABS would activate, but that's just a minor technicality.

Err no he is wrong about about everything. Ive done brake up grades on my own car and a few others and the braking distances are better.
Nice try but no cigar.

Better brakes/brake systems most often offer a quicker response than stock, which translates to shorter brake distances especially at higher speeds and during strong brakings.
It would be nice if in addition to fading and operating temperatures GT5 modeled that as well.

It's all about surface area and power, bigger discs, bigger pads, more pistons = more stopping power. the bigger the surface area available to create friction the more energy you have to stop the object (car) quite simple really also the brake compound itself makes a big difference generally a softer brake pad will yield greater braking force because it can bite into the disc better generally causing higher wear rates to both the disc and the pad( there is always pros and cons). And the interesting thing is that a drum brake actually has a higher braking force because of the surface area it just cant dissipate the heat which causes higher levels of heat soak resulting in brake fade.
Go out onto the highway and try locking the wheels at 150 kph+ with standard brakes in a non performance car, chances are they wont have the power to do so until your speed is dramatically reduce.

Now that you mention it, it does look like a Viper headlight just peeking around behind the Subaru. The sponser logo (looks like anyway) looks to be roughly the same position as the Oreca Viper foglight.

Kevin Smith would be able to make a comedy film about stupid speculations on GTPlanet if he wanted to. There is absolutely no way a human being can be sure of what kind of car it is behind that Subaru, but people insist on speculating about it anyway, eventhough everyone will find out in less than a week. I'm amazed...

Kevin Smith would be able to make a whole comedy film about stupid speculations on GTPlanet. There is absolutely no way a human being can be sure of what kind of car it is behind that Subaru, but people insist on speculating about it anyway, eventhough everyone will find out in less than a week. I'm amazed...

Well, whilst we're waiting the week away, what else is there to do? Get outside I hear you say? Yes, during raceweek where 250,000 more people turn up for the races, there isnt a spare square meter outside. SO, if your done, Im going to sit here and speculate all I want and there isnt a single thing you can do about it.

P.S, its also midnight. Im not stepping out the front door. I'll get mugged :nervous:

Well, whilst we're waiting the week away, what else is there to do? Get outside I hear you say? Yes, during raceweek where 250,000 more people turn up for the races, there isnt a spare square meter outside. SO, if your done, Im going to sit here and speculate all I want and there isnt a single thing you can do about it.

P.S, its also midnight. Im not stepping out the front door. I'll get mugged :nervous:
I'm not telling you to get outside, and of course there's nothing I can do about it, but my point still stands. NO ONE can know for sure what car it is, which makes it stupid. Ok, stupid is a bit harsh maybe, but it's pointless.

Err no he is wrong about about everything. Ive done brake up grades on my own car and a few others and the braking distances are better.
Nice try but no cigar.

You're still wrong. Eunos provided physical insight into the mechanisms behind braking. It trumps your [exceedingly vague] anecdotal evidence.

Brakes are energy converters. They convert kinetic energy into heat. Some of that heat goes into the brakes themselves and reduces their ability to convert energy. It's called fade. How brakes handle fade is one of the things that separate good brakes from bad ones. Distance isn't, because as was said, just about any set of brakes can lock the wheels.

By the way, how great was the stopping distance difference between your old and new brakes? How many times did you repeat the experiment? Under what conditions? How standardized was the set up of your car (how many miles on the tires when each braking test was done? Fuel and passenger weight? etc). Did you measure brake temperature?

Oh, and on anecdotal evidence, I've designed my own brake rotors

Brakebrag.jpg

BrakebragGTP.png

Now that you mention it, it does look like a Viper headlight just peeking around behind the Subaru. The sponser logo (looks like anyway) looks to be roughly the same position as the Oreca Viper foglight.

I don't know, I'm thinking RX-8 honestly.

More likely than not its the Ford Mustang GT. It's the only car that has fog lights up that high and near the center of the grille. I noticed that the RM never adds lights to said car you upgrade, they tend to keep the lights they already have and do not change them during that process. Well in GT5 that is, I haven't come across one RM that does that aside from the strange and odd looking Acura NSX RM, looks pretty much like a bolt on affair in that car. Very definition of a privateer group, lol.

More likely than not its the Ford Mustang GT. It's the only car that has fog lights up that high and near the center of the grille. I noticed that the RM never adds lights to said car you upgrade, they tend to keep the lights they already have and do not change them during that process. Well in GT5 that is, I haven't come across one RM that does that aside from the strange and odd looking Acura NSX RM, looks pretty much like a bolt on affair in that car. Very definition of a privateer group, lol.

After adjusting exposure on the image, it does actually look more like a Mustang GT headlamp. 👍

Exorcet
You're still wrong. Eunos provided physical insight into the mechanisms behind braking. It trumps your [exceedingly vague] anecdotal evidence.

Brakes are energy converters. They convert kinetic energy into heat. Some of that heat goes into the brakes themselves and reduces their ability to convert energy. It's called fade. How brakes handle fade is one of the things that separate good brakes from bad ones. Distance isn't, because as was said, just about any set of brakes can lock the wheels.

By the way, how great was the stopping distance difference between your old and new brakes? How many times did you repeat the experiment? Under what conditions? How standardized was the set up of your car (how many miles on the tires when each braking test was done? Fuel and passenger weight? etc). Did you measure brake temperature?

Oh, and on anecdotal evidence, I've designed my own brake rotors

Brake fade is caused by the fluid in the caliper boiling creating air bubbles, this results in fade because the air can be compressed which absorbes the pressure provided by the master cylinder, in a normal situation there is no air to compress therefore 100% of the pressure is applied to the disc from the caliper , the brake disc and pad will work better under high heat, it's just the fluid that causes the problem. The hotter the disc gets the softer the steel becomes resulting in higher levels of friction. I could go into fluid dynamics in a hydraulic circuit but that's a hole new story .

Thats not true.

You will never ever be able to get optimum brake temperature with your road car using carbon brakes. Even when you "add" (I don`t know the correct english word, but I hope that people who knew something about materials understand me) f.e. silicium, the optimum temperature is still very high.

Ferrari had to do ALOT of testing to get the brake system of the Enzo to work.

edit:
To the guy who did some testing with his brakes; did you also write down how many miles each set of brakes had, checked each brake disk for signs of corrosion, checked the brake fluids, made sure the tires were the same when comparing several systems?
Im not saying that you are wrong, but testing is serious buisness.

Last edited:
Yes. If they add brake upgrades (or individual upgrades to the braking system), they should also add operating/optimal temperatures simulation. That would add to the strategy.

Back